Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So the more I have been thinking about this the more I became interested in hearing what the forum thought. 

I actually believe that, and I have no evidence, that Ballard may really like Jalen Hurts. You may ask why?  

Hurts was ultra productive in his college career. 

Hurts played for Saban at Alabama and learned how to carry himself like a professional. 

Even after losing his starting spot, he stayed and supported Tua. When needed he stepped in and won the SEC title game. 

He was named Captain of the Oklahoma team after transferring and earning the teams respect. 

He then learned offensive football from the best offensive mind in college football, Lincoln Riley. 

He then went on to complete 68.7% of his passes for 32 TDS and 8 INTS

He led OU to a Big12 Title and a CFP Appearance. 

Even when OU got run out the building he carried himself in a way that showed maturity and confidence. Keep in mind Ballard was at that game. 

Career record as starter 39-3

He seems to check on the boxes that Ballard and Reich have for a QB, on and off the field. I also think he could develop into a very good QB. 

Thoughts. 

image.jpeg.fe8a4b6db3c0f51bc614b88193a1c456.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, lollygagger8 said:

One read QB who holds the ball too long, locks on to receivers and lobs deep passes? 

Don't we already have that guy? 

Exactly what I thought. He won't be there at our 2nd picknof the 2nd round. And any pick earlier would probably be a reach.

You never know how a player develops.... But his odds becoming a great NFL qb aren't that good. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

One read QB who holds the ball too long, locks on to receivers and is slow to make reads? 

Don't we already have that guy? 

I love how yet again this thread has tried to become about JB. 

in regards to your point. 
JB is 27

Jalen Hurts is 21- plenty of time to develop. Also he will get that chance with Frank Reich and Nick Siranni. Not bad people to learn from. Plus his running is helpful. He can use it as he learns and develops. Kinda like Russell Wilson and Lamar have done. 

Side question. What if you can get Ceedee Lamb with 13 and then get Jalen Hurts with 34. They have an amazing connection. Thoughts? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reason I compare him to Brissett when talking about him is because the similarities with their passing games are striking and it's easy to illustrate a point when people would know exactly what I'm talking about with Hurts' game when I say he has trouble going through progressions and gets stuck on primary read and drops his eyes sometimes too soon and leaves the pocket to run. His weaknesses in the passing game mirror those of Brissett pretty closely and people would know what I mean because they've seen it for two seasons now with Brissett. 

IMO he's not good enough of a passer/processor of the game to be a traditional pocket passer in the league and when he leaves the pocket he's doing it to run rather than to make plays with the pass. His athleticism is much better than Brissett's though and IMO this is the way he should be used - in a Lamar Jackson type of offense - where the offense is built around the QB's ability and threat to run the ball. The problem is - I don't think he's nearly as athletic and elusive as Lamar and he takes some brutal hits regularly on his runs. IMO whoever drafts him needs to build their whole offense around his running and hope to god he doesn't get injured.

I'm just not willing to make that bet. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

He’s probably my least favorite possibility. The JB comparisons are fair when it comes to the passing game

I’d be legitimately disappointed if he’s the QB we take.

The thing is... he actually might be the basis for a really fun offense(Ravens-like)... the problem is - I'm not sure he's good enough for a team to structure the whole offense around him. I think Lamar is much more athletic and elusive, and probably even has a bit more passing skill than Hurts. 

In other words - it would be fun to see what an NFL team would decide to do with him. I just prefer it not be the Colts that make that experiment. 

• Like 1

I've been saying it for years, Hurts has a chance to be a really good NFL RB. Oklahoma's offense can make an average QB look great, but as a passer, Hurts looked average at best. I doubt many teams are really high on him as a QB prospect. I could see a team like the Ravens holding on to him as a QB because they wouldn't have to change their offense much if Lamar Jackson went down. But in the long run, Hurts is a RB if he really want's to stick on a NFL roster IMO.

4 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I actually don't think so.  I think with the success of Lamar Jackson (and the NFL being a copycat league), some team will overdraft him and probably take him the first round.

You've clearly never watched the guy play outside of some highlights. JT Barrett was a much better college QB than Hurts, same read-option/poor passing QB, and he went undrafted. Lamar is going to be it. Teams aren't going to waste the time reinventing their offense for a gimmick player, who's play-style will be forced to change. Sure it will last a season or 2, just like we seen with Vick, Cam, RG3, but eventually, and quickly, defenses adapt and force them into being the QB's they aren't used to being. 

I'll tell you what, I'll give you the first 5 rounds and I will take the last 2. If Jalen is drafted before the 6th, I'll change my avatar to that of Jalen. 

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

You've clearly never watched the guy play outside of some highlights. JT Barrett was a much better college QB than Hurts, same read-option/poor passing QB, and he went undrafted. Lamar is going to be it. Teams aren't going to waste the time reinventing their offense for a gimmick player, who's play-style will be forced to change. Sure it will last a season or 2, just like we seen with Vick, Cam, RG3, but eventually, and quickly, defenses adapt and force them into being the QB's they aren't used to being. 

I'll tell you what, I'll give you the first 5 rounds and I will take the last 2. If Jalen is drafted before the 6th, I'll change my avatar to that of Jalen. 

Wow. So aggressive. Lol. 

I get what you are saying but with the recent success of more mobile QBs like Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen. I think people are gonna try to duplicate it. I just think some team will fall for him and overdraft him. I could be wrong but we will see. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So the more I have been thinking about this the more I became interested in hearing what the forum thought. 

I actually believe that, and I have no evidence, that Ballard may really like Jalen Hurts. You may ask why?  

Hurts played for Saban at Alabama and learned how to carry himself like a professional. 

Even after losing his starting spot, he stayed and supported Tua. When needed he stepped in and won the SEC title game. 

He was named Captain of the Oklahoma team after transferring and earning the teams respect. 

He then learned offensive football from the best offensive mind in college football, Lincoln Riley. 

Even when OU got run out the building he carried himself in a way that showed maturity and confidence. Keep in mind Ballard was at that game. 

He seems to check on the boxes that Ballard and Reich have for a QB, on and off the field. I also think he could develop into a very good QB. 

Thoughts. 

Nice college quarterback.  But on the NFL level, I think he’s a running back or a safety.    Maybe I’m wrong, but with Hurts I just don’t see it.   At all. 

On 1/17/2020 at 7:55 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Thoughts. 

Its Marcus Marriota 2.0 just in a different Jersey but will be the same outcome

On 1/17/2020 at 11:01 AM, stitches said:

The thing is... he actually might be the basis for a really fun offense(Ravens-like)... the problem is - I'm not sure he's good enough for a team to structure the whole offense around him. I think Lamar is much more athletic and elusive, and probably even has a bit more passing skill than Hurts. 

In other words - it would be fun to see what an NFL team would decide to do with him. I just prefer it not be the Colts that make that experiment. 

I think the Navy QB Perry can be a Lamar-type athlete, but not picked until the 6th round.  Probably by New England. If he didn't play backup QB, he'd backup Edelman.

So I just listened to locked in Colts podcast and in the end they started talking about the Senior bowl and how much Ballard likes picking from it. How much he values  leadership and team captains. The host mentioned Love and Herbert being there. Kyle Rapoza, who was the guest, pointed out how much the Colts discussed Lamar Jackson later in the season. He somewhat mentioned to connect the dots and stated that they could also be looking at Jalen Hurts. He stated that they very much wanted an athletic QB. So Hurts, Love and Herbert are definitely in that mold. 

just something they mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

Hurts is gonna give you everything he’s got and is definitely a leader and team player. If Frank and Ballard believe they can help him get to the next level as a passer I would have no objection to taking him in the 2nd Round. He has tremendous upside and passion for the game and has the character and leadership qualities Ballard preaches about incessantly. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...