Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ten Top Free Agents for the Colts to Potentially Consider this Offseason

I’ll be very surprised if Ballard signs one of those FA’s. Especially, having to resign AC, R. Kelly in 2021 and Brissett will be looking for a huge payday (100M) once he balls out in 2020 and leads the Colts far into the playoffs. 

Go Colts! 

• Like 1

I could see Ballard being interested and possibly pursuing DT/DE Arik Armstead. He mentioned the high need to get a 3 tech DT, and Armstead has the athleticism to help there. Plus Ballard loves long athletic defensive players and Armstead certainly fits that bill. And he'll only be 26 when the season starts which is a plus. 

Getting DT taken care of will allow Indy to focus on WR, QB, OL, TE, and DB in the draft. 

Of the entire list their are only 2 i could even see an outside chance of pursuing and that would be Chris Jones and maybe D.J Reader. Chris would be an absolute dream scenario and is exactly what our d-line needs and would be a tremendous upgrade. D.J would have an impact similar to Sheard IMO just all around solid but not a superstar.

To me this looks like a pipedreams list... first, most of those probably won't get to FA(will get extended or franchise tagged) and second, Ballard has not shown willingness to enter bidding wars and if majority of those hit FA they will probably require us winning a bidding war. 

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

To me this looks like a pipedreams list... first, most of those probably won't get to FA(will get extended or franchise tagged) and second, Ballard has not shown willingness to enter bidding wars and if majority of those hit FA they will probably require us winning a bidding war. 

I wouldn’t waste my time getting excited with hoping Ballard signs any top tier FA’s.  He’s not going to “force” things and he says “you can’t buy a locker room.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I’ll be very surprised if Ballard signs one of those FA’s. Especially, having to resign AC, R. Kelly in 2021 and Brissett will be looking for a huge payday (100M) once he balls out in 2020 and leads the Colts far into the playoffs. 

Go Colts! 

no you have to wait til he fully develops in 2025 first 

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

no you have to wait til he fully develops in 2025 first 

He just needs more weapons and to get healthy from the knee injury that forced him to miss 2 games. Expect a “big” season from Brissett in a contract year. 

On Offense I would like to see us keep TE Eric Ebron and Le'Raven Clark.  Every off -season not many quality TE's are available so why let Ebron walk?

Offensively I would like to see us pursue Philly's RT Halapoulivaati Vaitai who has been a solid backup and capable starter when called upon same as targeting the Bears' LT Cornelius Lucas.  Lucas playing next to Nelson might be enough to elevate his game even more so and be a solid starter.  For added depth at Center I like Steelers' B.J. Finney who played well when tasked.  If we are still questioning our future at RG might consider looking at the Lions' Graham Glasgow.

Haven't had time to look over the future available defensive players in-depth but for DI players might consider LDT Andrew Billings from the Bengals paired with LDT David Onyemata from the Saints to compete with Grover/Hunt.  Onyemata has played well as a backup but not sure how the team will feel about the pot possession charges going forward.  Vernon Butler is young and decent as well and has been known to create turn overs.  The biggest target would obviously be Texans D.J. Reader but switching from a 3/4 to a 4/3 defense might be a turnoff for him let alone switching to a division rival.

IMO, a lot depends on if AC retires. If that happens, CB has no option than to sign Conklin or Bulaga or draft an OT within our first 3 picks. Otherwise who ever is our QB will be in big trouble. BigQ, Kelly and Smith are good, but without another good OT there will be a lot of pressures on our QB from the Blindside. 

I don't think he will make big splashy moves in FA. We all know CB and his approach. I'm just not sure if I like it or not... 

After looking up more on the Bears Lucas guess he only played the last 5 games at RT not left.  Still wouldn't mind giving Philly's Big V a second look.  Agree if AC retires not many LT's this year in FA stand out unless find an old journeyman for a one year deal and hopefully next year's draft class has something we can lock down and worry about other pressing needs for this year.

15 hours ago, MPStack said:

He just needs more weapons and to get healthy from the knee injury that forced him to miss 2 games. Expect a “big” season from Brissett in a contract year. 

Stackapancakes

Ok.  ..... my sarcasm meter that I run your posts through went kaput. 

please tell me more 

Yeah, I agree with the consensus that this is a pipe dream list. I do think we’ll bring in a couple mid-range FAs as typical under Ballard. I think they’ll want to improve the depth at DT, OL, and offensive skill positions. Here are a few guys I could see us being interested in.

Maliek Collins - Productive player that knows Eberflus’ system. He was top five in ESPN pass rush win rate last year among interior defenders. Can play both three and one tech. Should be well paid but hopefully not at the top of the market.

Shelby Harris - There’s already rumors connecting him to the Colts and I can see the fit. Solid veteran interior DL that would seem to check a lot of the boxes Ballard looks for at that position. 

Derek Wolfe - Word was the Colts we’re interested in Wolfe at the trade deadline. Had 7 sacks in 12 games last year and is an all-out effort player that would seem to be a good influence on younger players. 

Nelson Agholor- Was just not good at all in 2019. But he had almost 1500 yard and 12 TDs combined the prior two seasons and he knows Reich’s system. Should also be pretty cheap after the way last year went. Probably depends on what the Colts do with Funchess.

Hunter Henry - This is probably more wishful thinking given the market he should have, but Ballard has given out good money at the position before.  Plus Reich’s offense runs a ton of two TE sets — and this year’s draft class at the position looks pretty weak on paper.

Look for us to sign a 3rd option WR, a back up OG and a average DB with what will be called "up side". Maybe we go all crazy and such and sign a "B" list DT. Funny how all these cap strapped teams have room to sign top FA's but we get an over paid WR and that's about it.