Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the Bengals looking like they will be drafting Joe Burrow, what does everyone think about Dalton coming to Indy?  He's proven he can get a team to the playoffs when surrounded by good players.  If we draft Love, Herbert or Gordon it may be nice for them to get to play behind Dalton for a year or two before taking over as the starter.

• Like 3

I'm not sure Dalton is that big of an upgrade over Brissett when you know you already have 12M dead money from Brissett. I guess it would depend on how much money Dalton would want. But it's possible the difference in money you have to pay to QBs in either situation might be more useful to pay for an additional rotational player than to get a marginal improvement at QB. Either way I don't feel strongly enough for or against that option. 

34 minutes ago, chrisbeldridge said:

With the Bengals looking like they will be drafting Joe Burrow, what does everyone think about Dalton coming to Indy?  He's proven he can get a team to the playoffs when surrounded by good players.  If we draft Love, Herbert or Gordon it may be nice for them to get to play behind Dalton for a year or two before taking over as the starter.

Love me some Andy Dalton! Perfect stopgap QB for this team if our drafted QB needs a year to sit. He will thrive with this offense. Had nothing in Cinci. Give him an elite O-Line and solid running game and we are playoff contenders! :thmup:

Just talked with a co-worker who is a die hard Bengals fan, and he would rather see the Bengals trade down to acquire players and additional picks.  He said Burrow is a very good QB, but the Bengals needs lots more than a QB, especially a rookie who would be wasting his first few years with a team that needs tons of upgrades.

Would be interesting to see if Cincy wold be open to trading down and how much that would cost a team to move up to #1.

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

Just talked with a co-worker who is a die hard Bengals fan, and he would rather see the Bengals trade down to acquire players and additional picks.  He said Burrow is a very good QB, but the Bengals needs lots more than a QB, especially a rookie who would be wasting his first few years with a team that needs tons of upgrades.

Would be interesting to see if Cincy wold be open to trading down and how much that would cost a team to move up to #1.

I work with a Bengals fan and he said the same thing.  However, I don't think there is any way the Bengals will trade down.  I think they'll definitely draft Burrow even if it would be wiser to trade down and fill more holes.

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

1 hour ago, chrisbeldridge said:

I work with a Bengals fan and he said the same thing.  However, I don't think there is any way the Bengals will trade down.  I think they'll definitely draft Burrow even if it would be wiser to trade down and fill more holes.

IMO the Bengals would be real stupid to pass on Burrow. Burrow is one of those generational QBs we always talk about. 

Draft Burrow then use the rest of the draft to start the rebuild. The Bengals do have some talented players already on the team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure Dalton is that big of an upgrade over Brissett

The problem with Dalton is he's never taken care of the ball.  If you're trying to run the ball and win with defense for a year or two until your QB is ready, that's probably a deal breaker.  It wouldn't be difficult to upgrade from Brissett, but if you're looking for a somewhat better version of Brissett, I'm not sure Dalton is a good fit.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO the Bengals would be real stupid to pass on Burrow. Burrow is one of those generational QBs we always talk about. 

Draft Burrow then use the rest of the draft to start the rebuild. The Bengals do have some talented players already on the team. 

I agree they need to take him and then put a team around him.  I think Bengals fans are just frustrated and I can understand that.  Their front office is a joke, they had that run of players wearing different orange uniforms (jail), injuries, etc.  They have a very loyal fan base and I give them credit.  Football is big in Ohio and they deserve a better team in Cincy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Ken Anderson had a few good years and Boomer managed to win an MVP, but they have never really had an elite franchise QB.  I couldn't imagine them passing on him.  

JB is the man. Now draft for need. There will be two blue chip guys at 13 and 34 respectively. Any two of these guys will improve our team tremendously. Epenesa, Gross-Matos, Lamb, Kinlaw, Wirfs, Willis, Becton, Jones, Johnson, Jackson, Brown, Thomas, Simmons, etc...

The logical case for Andy Dalton:

Logic question #1 - Will we trade up into a top 5 pick to get a QB?

No, the price is just too high to trade up.

Logic question #2 - Is Jacoby Brissett the Future?

No, he is not. We've seen enough to know this.  At best, he is a Temporary Present.

Logic question #3 - If we brought in Andy Dalton, would he be the Future?

No, he is too old to be the Future.  He would be a Temporary Present.

Logic question #4 - Comparing the two Temporary Present QB's, which is better?

Dalton is better than JB as a Temporary Present QB.

e1feea2df73447797ac9ebf37b09848a--randy-

Hard pass.  

on other comments, Bengals would be crazy to trade down to “fill holes.”  When you have subpar QB play, doesn’t matter how many holes are plugged when there’s a giant crater in your roster (lack of QB).

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

The logical case for Andy Dalton:

Logic question #1 - Will we trade up into a top 5 pick to get a QB?

No, the price is just too high to trade up.

Logic question #2 - Is Jacoby Brissett the Future?

No, he is not. We've seen enough to know this.  At best, he is a Temporary Present.

Logic question #3 - If we brought in Andy Dalton, would he be the Future?

No, he is too old to be the Future.  He would be a Temporary Present.

Logic question #4 - Comparing the two Temporary Present QB's, which is better?

Dalton is better than JB as a Temporary Present QB.

My thinking exactly.  Dalton would be a 1 to 2 year starter, nothing more.  During those 1 or 2 years we could be a playoff team, though.