Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luke Kuechly retires

danlhart87

Just now, coltsva said:

Statement 1 is not true. Give "back in the day" players access to what has evolved with training tools and philosophy, nutrition, medicines and whatever else is available today that wasn't yesterday, and they would compete just fine.

Statement 2 is true, but see statement 1.

Totally unfair to compare era's.

What do you mean it is unfair to compare?  That is what fan do.

Sorry the facts are facts. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Those 'back in the day' players wouldn't last one season in today's NFL.

Today's players are bigger, stronger and faster than most of the older eras players. 

Playing through injuries and risking their futures is why there are some many that live substandard lifes today (those who lived ).  

You want to rag on todays players for looking out for themselves?  

You want to throw some hate on players who don't care if you get your violent fix? 

Lol,

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Overall, today's kids have it so much easier than kids in the 40's who were shipped off to war, and then came back and resumed their lives; getting married, having kids, raising a family, starting a new career, etc.. so I agree with you there.

But there is so much new information out there about the dangers of CTE and its affect on the brain. With new information comes new decisions to be made.

I think this will be the norm moving forward, and not due to softness, but due to making informed decisions. Further, with the amount of money NFL players are making these days, it makes financial sense to play for a few years and then pursue other passions while you still have your health. The players in the old days were not afforded this opportunity.

I can get on board with that. 

I'm referring to badasses like Ronnie Lott. He had his finger cut off instead of missing the rest of the game. Just hard as nails. 

They just don't make dudes like that anymore. 

On 1/14/2020 at 9:17 PM, CantBeStopped said:

I wish Andrew would have gotten this support when he made his decision. Thank you Luke for playing the game the right way

Makes you wonder how things would have gone had he retired a week before the season too. It would have been nice to see Andrew go out with cheers and support but retiring a week before the season and you're expecting some back lash. 

I for one, felt like I was run around the ringer. Told one thing when something else was going on. Idk about you but I lose respect for people who do that, rich, poor, famous, unknown, dont lie to me and I'll respect you. 

Completely different circumstances. Completely different scenario, and you see all the support that subtle change makes. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'm saying that back in the day, guys were hard as nails and played through multiple injuries and wouldn't quit so easily. Those guys played for the team, unlike kids today who play for themselves. 

That is because they had to work jobs in the off season, with far less $ in the bank. It is easier to walk away when you have made millions while your body is still functioning at a high level.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, lollygagger8 said:

Lol,

giphy.gif

I'm referring to badasses like Ronnie Lott. He had his finger cut off instead of missing the rest of the game. Just hard as nails. 

What you call hard as nails can also mean crazy. 

On 1/15/2020 at 12:32 PM, lollygagger8 said:

Lol,

giphy.gif

Lott’s finger tip was not cut off during a game.    It was removed during the week, between games.   

But yes, guys like Ronnie Lott don’t come along too often.   Point noted.  

On 1/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, csmopar said:

perhaps. But there's still an ethical way to do things. The way Luke did it is ETHICAL.  The way Vontae Davis did it, was unethical.

Semantics maybe, but I'd have used 'professional' rather than ethical to describe it. However I understand the point you're making. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

Semantics maybe, but I'd have used 'professional' rather than ethical to describe it, but I understand the point you're making. 

I would agree with that. Ethics and professionalism go hand in hand quite often.

On 1/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, lollygagger8 said:

Lol,

giphy.gif

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/28/vikings-long-snapper-kevin-mcdermott-finger-injury