Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luke Kuechly retires


danlhart87

Recommended Posts

Walk away while you can. Smart decision.

 

Any chance Lucky's retirement opened the door for other players feeling like they couldn't walk away?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IndyD4U said:

Walk away while you can. Smart decision.

 

Any chance Lucky's retirement opened the door for other players feeling like they couldn't walk away?

I don't think Luck's retirement is what caused it.  That's been the trend for several years now. Patrick Willis and Anthony Davis both retired from San Fran when they were quite young. Chris Borland followed that up by retiring early as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the concussions he suffered and the way he plays the game, it's a good decision. Not smart to sacrifice the last 40 years of your life for something you're only gonna do for another 5-10 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always respect players' decision to retire early.  Football is a brutal game. Luke is making a good decision after sustaining all those concussions. All the best to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Very sad . But I'll never forget him sobbing like a toddler after a concussion. Poor dude. Respect him and wish him all the best! 

 

Hope to see him around still

Im stunned didn't think he would retire at 28 but never the less good luck in retirement Luke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CantBeStopped said:

I wish Andrew would have gotten this support when he made his decision. Thank you Luke for playing the game the right way

 

No, because Kuechly did it the right way; he waited until the season is over. Luck did it when we were about to start the regular season. Luck waited so long that Ian Rappaport made the announcement for him!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

 

No, because Kuechly did it the right way; he waited until the season is over. Luck did it when we were about to start the regular season. Luck waited so long that Ian Rappaport made the announcement for him!

The player gets to decide when it's their time. Not your or anyone else

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Walk away while you can. Smart decision.

 

Any chance Lucky's retirement opened the door for other players feeling like they couldn't walk away?

I was just wondering the same thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

The player gets to decide when it's their time. Not your or anyone else

perhaps. But there's still an ethical way to do things. The way Luke did it is ETHICAL.  The way Vontae Davis did it, was unethical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, csmopar said:

perhaps. But there's still an ethical way to do things. The way Luke did it is ETHICAL.  The way Vontae Davis did it, was unethical.

Agreed. I'm not even going to mention the fans. Luck put Irsay, Ballard, Reich, and his teammates in a terrible spot. Keuchly retired after the season was over and is giving their FO plenty of time to figure things out. Kuechly retired with class and I will miss him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. I'm not even going to mention the fans. Luck put Irsay, Ballard, Reich, and his teammates in a terrible spot. Keuchly retired after the season was over and is giving their FO plenty of time to figure things out. Kuechly retired with class and I will miss him.

Yep. I do agree with you. And I'm gonna leave it at that. I think the forum is well aware of my thoughts on that topic. Which is why I chose Vontae as the example.  Trying to stop thinking about the other example you mentioned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. I'm not even going to mention the fans. Luck put Irsay, Ballard, Reich, and his teammates in a terrible spot. Keuchly retired after the season was over and is giving their FO plenty of time to figure things out. Kuechly retired with class and I will miss him.

Tell me this. Do you think Justin Houston is a Colt had Luck retired pre free agency? Luck doesn't strike me as someone who just gives up easily. I think he truly expected to play last year until things just weren't healing properly. I will agree that Kuecklys retirement was much more ideal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

Tell me this. Do you think Justin Houston is a Colt had Luck retired pre free agency? Luck doesn't strike me as someone who just gives up easily. I think he truly expected to play last year until things just weren't healing properly. I will agree that Kuecklys retirement was much more ideal. 

Yes, but we would of had to pay Houston more since we weren't a contender without Luck. Houston is an edge rusher that plays defense, so he's not directly affected by Luck retiring like a WR or TE. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

I think he truly expected to play last year until things just weren't healing properly.

 

I guess I agree... which is why I'll forgive him when he plays for us again after he's healed. Wait, he is coming back after he's healed, right?... No, of course not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

I think it will be. 

 

Today's kids are soft. 

Soft?! More like smart. Leave the game young with millions of dollars and your health intact. Or grow old like Jim brown who can barely walk and referred to the 2019 draft as the 2013 draft

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't think Luck's retirement is what caused it.  That's been the trend for several years now. Patrick Willis and Anthony Davis both retired from San Fran when they were quite young. Chris Borland followed that up by retiring early as well.

 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I was just wondering the same thing. 

 

A small part of me wants to believe that he has influenced his peers. To have a young QB in his prime, truly one of the faces of the NFL, retire due to injury concerns has to send a message to others that they too can walk away.

 

Kuechly will just add to this, IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites

Owners and GMs are going to have to look closer into placing safeguards soon, for early retirement in contracts. Plus, now I realize why Jerry Tillery of Notre Dame had questions about him, regarding his other interests last year before the draft. With early retirement on the minds of a lot of players, teams have to decide if this is a 5-6 year type of guy or a 10-15 year NFLifer type of guy.

 

2nd contract and I am out, is not a bad business decision, if you look at it objectively, being able to walk away before you put your body through too much damage, no matter how well conditioned you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CantBeStopped said:

Soft?! More like smart. Leave the game young with millions of dollars and your health intact. Or grow old like Jim brown who can barely walk and referred to the 2019 draft as the 2013 draft

Not a historian eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

I think it will be. 

 

Today's kids are soft. 

:dunno:  Soft? Not hardly, smart is what I call it. 

Why should a millionaire play till they cant walk or face injuries that can effect them for the rest of their lives for fans enjoyment? 

The human body was not designed to play football and it don't take a rocket scientist to understand why a player decides to retire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

I think it will be. 

 

Today's kids are soft. 

Maybe a bit.   But they are also not looking to work their butts off and risk their health when they have millions of $$ in the bank.  

I do think Luck had some influence on these decisions.   Luke will have influence on the next few that retire early.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Today's kids understand it's only a game.

 

59 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

:dunno:  Soft? Not hardly, smart is what I call it. 

Why should a millionaire play till they cant walk or face injuries that can effect them for the rest of their lives for fans enjoyment? 

The human body was not designed to play football and it don't take a rocket scientist to understand why a player decides to retire. 

 

44 minutes ago, Myles said:

Maybe a bit.   But they are also not looking to work their butts off and risk their health when they have millions of $$ in the bank.  

I do think Luck had some influence on these decisions.   Luke will have influence on the next few that retire early.  

 

I'm saying that back in the day, guys were hard as nails and played through multiple injuries and wouldn't quit so easily. Those guys played for the team, unlike kids today who play for themselves. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

 

 

I'm saying that back in the day, guys were hard as nails and played through multiple injuries and wouldn't quit so easily. Those guys played for the team, unlike kids today who play for themselves. 

 

Overall, today's kids have it so much easier than kids in the 40's who were shipped off to war, and then came back and resumed their lives; getting married, having kids, raising a family, starting a new career, etc.. so I agree with you there.

 

But there is so much new information out there about the dangers of CTE and its affect on the brain. With new information comes new decisions to be made.

 

I think this will be the norm moving forward, and not due to softness, but due to making informed decisions. Further, with the amount of money NFL players are making these days, it makes financial sense to play for a few years and then pursue other passions while you still have your health. The players in the old days were not afforded this opportunity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

 

 

I'm saying that back in the day, guys were hard as nails and played through multiple injuries and wouldn't quit so easily. Those guys played for the team, unlike kids today who play for themselves. 

 

Those 'back in the day' players wouldn't last one season in today's NFL.

Today's players are bigger, stronger and faster than most of the older eras players. 

Playing through injuries and risking their futures is why there are some many that live substandard lifes today (those who lived ).  

You want to rag on todays players for looking out for themselves?  

You want to throw some hate on players who don't care if you get your violent fix? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

1. Those 'back in the day' players wouldn't last one season in today's NFL.

2. Today's players are bigger, stronger and faster than most of the older eras players. 

 

Statement 1 is not true. Give "back in the day" players access to what has evolved with training tools and philosophy, nutrition, medicines and whatever else is available today that wasn't yesterday, and they would compete just fine.

 

Statement 2 is true, but see statement 1.

 

Totally unfair to compare era's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • By now most should realize the Colts prefer to retain their own as much as possible.  The defense is much improved with the signing in place but always room for improvement at key positions.  Below is my FA/resign list have already put together mid-season.   Colts FA ~58m: QB Jacoby Brissett 21.3 WR T.Y. Hilton 14.5 TE Jack Doyle 8.5 RDE Denico Autry 5.7 ILB Anthony Walker 2.2 S Tavon Wilson 750k DB Tremon Smith 750k (keeper?) WR Marcus Johnson 582k (practice squad) S Malik Hooker 4m WR Ashton Dulin 542k   Resign ~ 90m QB Philip Rivers 26.3m (probably will drop) DE Justin Houston 11m (3-4 good years left like Mathis and Freeny) DB Xavier Rhodes 8m RG Mark Glowinski 6.9 (improved game this year) RDT Grover Stewart 7.5m (most improved player on defense) DE Al-Quadin Muhammad 3m OL Le’Raven Clark 1.2m DB T.J. Carrie 1.2m (special teamer) TE Trey Burton 4.5m S George Odum 1.25 TE Mo Alie-Cox (RFA) – 6.25m DT Taylor Stallworth 1m (otc hit 4.8m in 1 game) LT Chaz Green 850k (special teams) WR Zach Pascal 7m RB Marlon Mack 4m (when healthy proved to be lead back) C Joey Hunt 300k RG Jake Eldrenkamp 200k (special teamer) Edge Cassius Marsh 250k (special teamer) TE Farrod Green 200k (practice squad) S Ibraheim Campbell 200k (special teamer)
    • Originally was thinking we would be closer to 100 mil in cap space but sounds more like 75 mil.  Kind of why for this example only budgeted ~40 mil for FAs after calculating ~95 mil to resign players while leaving a minimum of 20 mil to sign draftees.  This should still allow discretionary cap space for the Club to do as needed short-term.
    • I still have Patrick Jones II at the top of my early 2021 NFL Draft Board.  Would be happy to acquire either Weaver or Jones.  Other top names have seen but truthfully haven't been impressed with them as have been with these two players at RDE.
    • No one gets stoned anymore in civilized societies!   Wait, that didn't sound right...
    • We will need to hire a crime scene cleaning company to extract all the Titans' blood from the field turf at Lucas Oil Stadium
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...