Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Case Against Jordan Love

Washington the first year.  Very simple reads and he did very well.  After that year, teams learned to take those away and he had a very hard time.  Same thing happened to Love.  He has a very hard time going through progressions and recognizing more complex coverage schemes.  That is why he turned into a turnover machine this year.  If I were to compare Love to anyone, I would say he is a more athletic Jameis Winston.  He might throw 3 TDs but also have 2 interceptions and a fumble.  I think some people get enamored because of his physical ability, which is elite.  But that is fools gold.  In general, if a college QB is said to have all the physical tools but need work on their accuracy and decision making, that rarely gets better in the NFL.  I will say now that Herbert and Eason scare me as well.  Similar reasons. You are draft physical specimens who are very streaky with the hope when they get to the NFL they will improve.

Besides obviously Joe Burrow and Tua, the QBs I have analyzed so far I would be more interested in is Jake Fromm and Anthony Gordon.  Fromm has been put down because of his supporting cast and he didn't have big numbers this year.  If that were the trend, then I could see why.  But last year he threw 30 TDs and that wasn't a problem.  What I like about Fromm is he is smart, decisive, goes through progressions quickly, and is very determined.  Gordon has one of the best releases I have ever evaluated at any level.  He effortlessly can make any throw and he has great touch.  He is very accurate and poised.   It is often tricky to evaluate QBs from Air Raid but I think Gordon has what i takes to develop.  He is the polar opposite of Brissett. He is very aggressive, can make touch throws, very decisive, and goes through his progressions before trying to run around.

Now, just like anyone else on here, I could be completely wrong.  But I have predicted very well how other QBs would turn out. I knew RGIII would be backup in year 3.  I knew Trubinsky would be a bust and Minshew would do well for where he was drafted.   But I honestly would be very disappointed if the Colts drafted Love. I think that is three years down the tubes for this team and probably the death nail for Ballard/Reich.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I think Kiper has him 7th best QB in the draft and McShay has him in the 2nd round....but the hype train will move  him in the top 10. 

4 QBs aren't going top 10 Burrows, Tua and Herbet are for sure aheas of Love and Fromm, Eason and others are right with him. He may go in the 1st but no way top 10.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

I think Kiper has him 7th best QB in the draft and McShay has him in the 2nd round....but the hype train will move  him in the top 10. 

Yeah, everyone should get in line like this:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/2017-nfl-draft-grades-picks-analysis-results

10. Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)

Grade: C-

Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

If a whole bunch of you guys keep throwing a whole bunch of spaghetti, something is bound to stick and someone can come back and say "I told you so" :) with a bunch of old threads propped up again. If Jordan Love goes to the right team and coach that maximizes his talents, I have no doubt he will succeed. Browns were waiting at No.12 for Mahomes, and guess what, Andy Reid and the Chiefs swooped in and got him at No.10. 

If you like the guy and feel he can help you win, you take the guy when you can, cannot listen to draft pundits and analysts regarding drafting position. That is all I got to say.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

If a whole bunch of you guys keep throwing a whole bunch of spaghetti, something is bound to stick and someone can come back and say "I told you so" :) with a bunch of old threads propped up again. If Jordan Love goes to the right team and coach that maximizes his talents, I have no doubt he will succeed. Browns were waiting at No.12 for Mahomes, and guess what, Andy Reid and the Chiefs swooped in and got him at No.10. 

If you like the guy and feel he can help you win, you take the guy when you can, cannot listen to draft pundits and analysts regarding drafting position. That is all I got to say.

The thing with Mahomes is he had Alex Smith and Andy Reid. It was the perfect situation for him.

• Like 1

I disagree with the description of Love's issues. He has trouble with decisionmaking, but in no way do I think going through progressions and recognizing coverages is one of his biggest issues.  You can see this clearly when you look at his first half and second half snaps. He ranks very high in first halves of games and he starts making mistakes in second halves of games. Well, what happens in the second halves you might ask - his team was not good and in a lot of his games he was trying to force things and carry his team when they fell behind by a lot in the second half - he has 85 grade by PFF in first halves and 54 in second halves. He is the QB with the highest number of turnover worthy throws in second halves of games. So to summarize - Love plays awesome football with few mistakes and a ton of big time throws while the games are close, but he tries to do too much and tries to play hero ball and to fit balls he shouldn't try to when his defense ultimately puts him in a hole. This is not something to be excused! He still needs to make better decisions and play more sound football in those situations and those issues need to be addressed, but they are not the issues people seem to think he has. I also have no idea why you would compare him to Jameis Winston, they play nothing alike. 

Also the reason Fromm didn't produce has nothing to do with the talent around him. Fromm has some insane talent compared to what Love was working with. The reason for Fromm's lack of production is that Georgia is a running team and they don't rely on their QB to move the ball a ton. He has multiple 5 star receivers and offensive linemen and running backs on that roster. Fromm doesn't produce numbers because he's a game manager. He's very good in certain respects(accuracy on short to intermediate routes, anticipation, command of the offense, etc), but also struggles in some important things (deep field passing, armstrength, playmaking, pocket presence, etc).

If given the chance I'd pick Love 10 out of 10 times for the Colts.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Washington the first year.  Very simple reads and he did very well.  After that year, teams learned to take those away and he had a very hard time.  Same thing happened to Love.  He has a very hard time going through progressions and recognizing more complex coverage schemes.  That is why he turned into a turnover machine this year.  If I were to compare Love to anyone, I would say he is a more athletic Jameis Winston.  He might throw 3 TDs but also have 2 interceptions and a fumble.  I think some people get enamored because of his physical ability, which is elite.  But that is fools gold.  In general, if a college QB is said to have all the physical tools but need work on their accuracy and decision making, that rarely gets better in the NFL.  I will say now that Herbert and Eason scare me as well.  Similar reasons. You are draft physical specimens who are very streaky with the hope when they get to the NFL they will improve.

Besides obviously Joe Burrow and Tua, the QBs I have analyzed so far I would be more interested in is Jake Fromm and Anthony Gordon.  Fromm has been put down because of his supporting cast and he didn't have big numbers this year.  If that were the trend, then I could see why.  But last year he threw 30 TDs and that wasn't a problem.  What I like about Fromm is he is smart, decisive, goes through progressions quickly, and is very determined.  Gordon has one of the best releases I have ever evaluated at any level.  He effortlessly can make any throw and he has great touch.  He is very accurate and poised.   It is often tricky to evaluate QBs from Air Raid but I think Gordon has what i takes to develop.  He is the polar opposite of Brissett. He is very aggressive, can make touch throws, very decisive, and goes through his progressions before trying to run around.

Now, just like anyone else on here, I could be completely wrong.  But I have predicted very well how other QBs would turn out. I knew RGIII would be backup in year 3.  I knew Trubinsky would be a bust and Minshew would do well for where he was drafted.   But I honestly would be very disappointed if the Colts drafted Love. I think that is three years down the tubes for this team and probably the death nail for Ballard/Reich.

Yawn.
 Better info will be available just before the draft after professionals scrutinize the subjects.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

That is very funny of what was said about Mahomes.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

And we have Reich who has played in the league.  No doubt he can develop a QB.

No one was more aware of Smith’s mentoring of Mahomes than Reid. “What he did for him you can’t pay back with money,” he said.

“He helped him with things in ways that a coach simply can’t do. There was complete trust from pupil to mentor. Knowing Alex, I wouldn’t have expected anything different.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2018/11/16/alex-smith-patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-john-feinstein-book-excerpt

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

I am honestly not sure why you are lecturing me. I showed the consensus of the 2 main draft gurus. Sorry If that offends you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

If Jordan Love goes to the right team and coach...

Unfortunately, we are not the right team for him. He doesn't fit the scheme all that great and comparing him to Mahomes, who learned behind that years MVP contending Alex Smith, is a far cry from learning behind Jacoby Brissett and without weapons like Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.

4 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I am honestly not sure why you are lecturing me. I showed the consensus of the 2 main draft gurus. Sorry If that offends you.

Your post was easier to quote than that mega-paragraph from the OP.

Sorry if I chose the easy route. :)  I was just making a point that draft position from draft pundits means only so much.

3 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Unfortunately, we are not the right team for him. He doesn't fit the scheme all that great and comparing him to Mahomes, who learned behind that years MVP contending Alex Smith, is a far cry from learning behind Jacoby Brissett and without weapons like Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.

That, I can agree with. But then, we don't know all the offseason moves and draft plans CB will have in place, so there is that. :) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

That, I can agree with. But then, we don't know all the offseason moves and draft plans CB will have in place, so there is that. :) 

Sure, and if the moves do fall into place just right, Love might be the pick. But as it stands, he’s not the best option at 13, and honestly IMO not even the best QB available give Herbert, Tua, and Burrow are all gone

6 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Sure, and if the moves do fall into place just right, Love might be the pick. But as it stands, he’s not the best option at 13, and honestly IMO not even the best QB available give Herbert, Tua, and Burrow are all gone

We could be in purgatory for another season for all we know, that 7-9 to 9-7 range, with all the possible new pieces from FA and draft needing a year of seasoning if we are talking talent fit. Peyton went 3-13 in his first year but then we went 13-3 in year 2 (wouldn't be surprised if Daniel Jones does real well in year 2). So, you hope the upside of the QB chosen will catch up with the upside of the talent addition that we will see happening. If the turnaround is still another year away, you still go for the upside, just my two cents.

System fit would be another thing. However, good coaches make the system fit for the QB's strengths as opposed to trying to put a round peg in a square hole, unlike Jeff Fisher with Vince Young and Mike Shanahan with RG3.

The real issue I have with Love is that he is a project QB. Do we really want a guy who struggles to get through progressions and make tight window accurate throws to learn behind Brissett, a guy who struggles to get through progressions and make right window throws??

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

The real issue I have with Love is that he is a project QB. Do we really want a guy who struggles to get through progressions and make tight window accurate throws to learn behind Brissett, a guy who struggles to get through progressions and make right window throws??

We will see how he does at the combine and Pro-Days. The hard analysis  will come out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

If you don’t think he makes tight window throws I think you might want to go watch some more videos. He absolutely does.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If you don’t think he makes tight window throws I think you might want to go watch some more videos. He absolutely does.

From game tape and All-22 film I’ve seen, he does make a few tight window throws, but there are also many times where he throws it in a horrible spot. Most of his interceptions were in tight windows where he threw it more to the defender rather than his own receiver, and there are other times where his receiver bails him out and makes a catch when it could have easily been taken away by the defender. For every beautiful throw he makes, he makes an equally horrible throw

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WarGhost21 said:

From game tape and All-22 film I’ve seen, he does make a few tight window throws, but there are also many times where he throws it in a horrible spot. Most of his interceptions were in tight windows where he threw it more to the defender rather than his own receiver, and there are other times where his receiver bails him out and makes a catch when it could have easily been taken away by the defender. For every beautiful throw he makes, he makes an equally horrible throw

Apologies. I thought you were talking about Love.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Apologies. I thought you were talking about Love.

I am talking about Love though. The things he struggles with are almost the exact same as what Brissett struggles with. I don’t want a project QB to try to learn from a QB who does everything the same way as he does

• Like 2

I’m very far into the lennyMoore camp on all these QBs (though I really don’t know what to think of Fromm).  I think that Gordon is slowly rising as the draftniks review these QBs’ tape.  Those mock draft apps are starting to have him gone sometimes before our 4th round pick, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Ballard will have to decide if he’s worthy of a 2nd round pick by the time the draft comes.  

His throwing motion is trippy - you can only describe it as a snap.  No wind up, no warning, it’s just out as soon as he decides to throw it.  It’s probably why some scouting reports say he doesn’t have good arm strength - his normal motion on the short to medium throws doesn’t allow him to put much power behind it...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I’m very far into the lennyMoore camp on all these QBs (though I really don’t know what to think of Fromm).  I think that Gordon is slowly rising as the draftniks review these QBs’ tape.  Those mock draft apps are starting to have him gone sometimes before our 4th round pick, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Ballard will have to decide if he’s worthy of a 2nd round pick by the time the draft comes.  

His throwing motion is trippy - you can only describe it as a snap.  No wind up, no warning, it’s just out as soon as he decides to throw it.  It’s probably why some scouting reports say he doesn’t have good arm strength - his normal motion on the short to medium throws doesn’t allow him to put much power behind it...

IF, which is a big IF, Ballard does decide to go with Gordon, I'd think he get him by pick No.44, like Elway did with Drew Lock. Ballard doesn't really worry about where draft analysts have him pegged like with Darius Leonard, much like Polian getting Kelvin Hayden and Pat Angerer in Round 2 when they were pegged to be drafted much later.

That is why GMs have their own draft boards, like some users here do as well except we are armchair GMs. :) 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, stitches said:

I disagree with the description of Love's issues. He has trouble with decisionmaking, but in no way do I think going through progressions and recognizing coverages is one of his biggest issues.  You can see this clearly when you look at his first half and second half snaps. He ranks very high in first halves of games and he starts making mistakes in second halves of games. Well, what happens in the second halves you might ask - his team was not good and in a lot of his games he was trying to force things and carry his team when they fell behind by a lot in the second half - he has 85 grade by PFF in first halves and 54 in second halves. He is the QB with the highest number of turnover worthy throws in second halves of games. So to summarize - Love plays awesome football with few mistakes and a ton of big time throws while the games are close, but he tries to do too much and tries to play hero ball and to fit balls he shouldn't try to when his defense ultimately puts him in a hole. This is not something to be excused! He still needs to make better decisions and play more sound football in those situations and those issues need to be addressed, but they are not the issues people seem to think he has. I also have no idea why you would compare him to Jameis Winston, they play nothing alike. 

Also the reason Fromm didn't produce has nothing to do with the talent around him. Fromm has some insane talent compared to what Love was working with. The reason for Fromm's lack of production is that Georgia is a running team and they don't rely on their QB to move the ball a ton. He has multiple 5 star receivers and offensive linemen and running backs on that roster. Fromm doesn't produce numbers because he's a game manager. He's very good in certain respects(accuracy on short to intermediate routes, anticipation, command of the offense, etc), but also struggles in some important things (deep field passing, armstrength, playmaking, pocket presence, etc).

I was waiting to respond to this post until after i saw you post because i know how mirrored our post would be on this topic, only yours a little more in depth. OP is really down playing the whole losing every starter on offense. I mean we lost T.Y and people are making excuses and it did impact Jacoby's number quite a bit and increased his picks. That is just one guy imagine losing everyone.

The comp to Jamison is incredibly unfair IMO and that is just scouting number not scouting film and not taking things into account. Jamison just chucks the ball deep. Love has to find an open receiver utilizing guys who wouldn't make it as udfa to block for him and catch for him. He went from taking 9 sacks in 2018 to 20 sacks in 2019 plus that much more pressure causing worse decisions. Still he only had 160 less yards this year throwing with players that much less adequate 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, twfish said:

I was waiting to respond to this post until after i saw you post because i know how mirrored our post would be on this topic, only yours a little more in depth. OP is really down playing the whole losing every starter on offense. I mean we lost T.Y and people are making excuses and it did impact Jacoby's number quite a bit and increased his picks. That is just one guy imagine losing everyone.

The comp to Jamison is incredibly unfair IMO and that is just scouting number not scouting film and not taking things into account. Jamison just chucks the ball deep. Love has to find an open receiver utilizing guys who wouldn't make it as udfa to block for him and catch for him. He went from taking 9 sacks in 2018 to 20 sacks in 2019 plus that much more pressure causing worse decisions. Still he only had 160 less yards this year throwing with players that much less adequate 

Imagine if Jacoby had to start next season with AC, Nelson, Kelly and SMith off the team. 

That would mean OLine of Le'Raven - Eldrenkamp- Andrews - Glowinski - Haeg

Then get 2 of those injured in the first two games of the season and get two off-the-street FAs to replace them.

Take away TY, Doyle, Ebron and Mack... and replace them with... whoever you pick from our replacements - Rodgers, Mo, Travis, Wilkins

Now go and remove the whole offensive coaching staff and put back Chuck and Chud in charge.

Now give Brissett the worst defense in the league(I know it seems like we were bad on D, because of the last 4 weeks, but for most of the season, this defense was actually quite good).  

This is the equivalent of what Love had to deal with this year. And he still played some amazing football at times and had numerous NFL throws every single game. 

• Like 3

Countering with the Case for the Love. Exhibit A: Kyle Crabbs summary

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jordan-love/PbA4nRzHfK

Player Summary - Jordan Love has franchise quarterback qualities and should be regarded as a prospect with a Pro Bowl ceiling. Love's statistical regression in 2019 isn't indicative of a regression in skills or decision making — was a victim of poor supporting cast in many instances. Love will need patience and must go to a team with coaching staff able to nurture, develop and cater passing schemes to where he thrives. He isn't plug and play but he's a potential game changing QB. 

Updated: 12/23/2019

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 1:53 PM, stitches said:

Fair enough. Like I said, we all have our opinions.  My opinion is Love will be a bust in the NFL.  An exciting turn over machine that makes poor decisions.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:05 PM, waittilnextyear said:

Yawn.
 Better info will be available just before the draft after professionals scrutinize the subjects.

Yawn.