Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
indyagent17

Thought about the Colts and the draft

Recommended Posts

I really get a strong feeling Kinlaw will be our pick, but in most mocks he is from 12-18. Since a run of WR will be before us I would really like to trade back a few spots in the first and get another 2 or late round draft pick. A few mocks have us taking Love with 13 but I think he could be there at 34 or even 44. I would like to see Kinlaw, Turay , Houston, Sheard, Banogu, Stewart and Autry be our rotation on DL. All just IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a QB they think is the next guy and has a first round grade is at 13 that will be the pick. QB is the biggest need at this point. It all depends who is there at QB when we pick and what we do in FA. You don’t risk losing a QB that you believe is the next guy when it’s the biggest need. You never know I’d your going to be in that position again to get the future QB. It’s something you can’t put off.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I really get a strong feeling Kinlaw will be our pick, but in most mocks he is from 12-18. Since a run of WR will be before us I would really like to trade back a few spots in the first and get another 2 or late round draft pick. A few mocks have us taking Love with 13 but I think he could be there at 34 or even 44. I would like to see Kinlaw, Turay , Houston, Sheard, Banogu, Stewart and Autry be our rotation on DL. All just IMHO

 

If Derrick Brown, Jerry Jeudy, and CeeDee Lamb are gone by pick 13, I'd be all for trading back and picking up an extra 2nd or more and land DT Javon Kinlaw. Then we could always trade back up to the pick right before New England or so and still be able to land QB Jordan Love. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BProland85 said:

 

If Derrick Brown, Jerry Jeudy, and CeeDee Lamb are gone by pick 13, I'd be all for trading back and picking up an extra 2nd or more and land DT Javon Kinlaw. Then we could always trade back up to the pick right before New England or so and still be able to land QB Jordan Love. 

That is taking a huge risk. First you need a trade partner. Second you never know another team might want to move back up also. If the QB is there you take him at 13.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I really get a strong feeling Kinlaw will be our pick, but in most mocks he is from 12-18. Since a run of WR will be before us I would really like to trade back a few spots in the first and get another 2 or late round draft pick. A few mocks have us taking Love with 13 but I think he could be there at 34 or even 44. I would like to see Kinlaw, Turay , Houston, Sheard, Banogu, Stewart and Autry be our rotation on DL. All just IMHO

When you hear CB talk about many different players, one thing he talks about a lot of the players length, that is very important to him.  And when it comes to length, Kinlaw at 6'6 has a lot of length and even better, it sounds like he knows how to use it to his advantage, so i can definitely see Kinlaw being the #13 pick, even if a QB is available.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is taking a huge risk. First you need a trade partner. Second you never know another team might want to move back up also. If the QB is there you take him at 13.


Yep, it as 

Pizza Be Easy GIF by easy pie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If a QB they think is the next guy and has a first round grade is at 13 that will be the pick. QB is the biggest need at this point. It all depends who is there at QB when we pick and what we do in FA. You don’t risk losing a QB that you believe is the next guy when it’s the biggest need. You never know I’d your going to be in that position again to get the future QB. It’s something you can’t put off.

The thing is they don’t want to reach , any QB they pick at 13 outside of Tua if he slides would be a reach , they are better off trading back to acquire draft capital. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the thing, a top tier DT isn't really going to win you any games VS a mid tier DT where as a top tier QB is going to win you a ton more games vs a mid tier. So if the QB we have our eyes on is there at 13 take him then. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

The thing is they don’t want to reach , any QB they pick at 13 outside of Tua if he slides would be a reach , they are better off trading back to acquire draft capital. 

You apparently didn’t read what I said. I said if the guy they want is there it has to be a QB. Of course you don’t reach. We need to stop with only Burrow and TUA are worth that pick. If Herbert and Love are there and they think they can be the next guy that will be the pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I'd still take Jake Fromm, he's our man.

Are you his mother. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If a QB they think is the next guy and has a first round grade is at 13 that will be the pick. QB is the biggest need at this point. It all depends who is there at QB when we pick and what we do in FA. You don’t risk losing a QB that you believe is the next guy when it’s the biggest need. You never know I’d your going to be in that position again to get the future QB. It’s something you can’t put off.

i dont see any elite qb talent in this draft, hate to see us use a first round pick on any of these, better to get an elite talent at another position

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, twfish said:

Here's the thing, a top tier DT isn't really going to win you any games VS a mid tier DT where as a top tier QB is going to win you a ton more games vs a mid tier. So if the QB we have our eyes on is there at 13 take him then. 

there are no top tier qbs in this draft

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

there are no top tier qbs in this draft

What's Burrow then? Prior to injury whats Tua?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This draft is going to be crazy. I think it depends on who falls and if the Ballard and company fall in love with a Qb.

 

Take 1- If Jeudy or Lamb fall do the Colts pass up on an Elite WR.

 

Take 2- Say Colts fall in love with a Qb like Love. Do they stand pat and take him or think hey grab Jeudy or Lamb if they fall and move back up in the 1st to draft a Qb.

 

Take 3- Say lamb and Jeudy dont fall and they're not sold on taking a Qb this early I see Kinlaw or Epenesa being both fits. 

 

I really think we will be shocked due to the abundance of talent that players could fall and depending on the Qb situation. I know fans will be screaming for Qb but we really wont know until how the board plays out.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I may have missed it...do any of the college QBs take ANY snaps under center?

 

I'm not sure there's a site/source collecting that info (I haven't found one yet, but you'd think someone is gathering that info), but there is a great one for NFL teams at https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/snap-rates--shotgun-v-under-center--off-.html.

 

I wasn't surprised to see how widespread the shotgun formation is these days - it's all kids are doing from the earliest levels, and "traditional" under center QBs are nearly non-existent at the college level. 

 

Only 5 NFL teams had the majority of their snaps from under center in 2019 - SF, Minnesota, Tenn, LA Rams, and Oakland. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, twfish said:

Here's the thing, a top tier DT isn't really going to win you any games VS a mid tier DT where as a top tier QB is going to win you a ton more games vs a mid tier. So if the QB we have our eyes on is there at 13 take him then. 

 

But many "top tier" QBs end up being mid tier.  Just because you take a QB at #13 doesn't make him top tier.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I may have missed it...do any of the college QBs take ANY snaps under center?

No Way!! a man with his hands that close to another mans private parts in front of that many people is a PC nightmare for a college!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't understand why everyone wants Love so much. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I really don't understand why everyone wants Love so much. 

Who hurt you?

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KB said:

Who hurt you?

 

Marriage :loco:

  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

 

I'm not sure there's a site/source collecting that info (I haven't found one yet, but you'd think someone is gathering that info), but there is a great one for NFL teams at https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/snap-rates--shotgun-v-under-center--off-.html.

 

I wasn't surprised to see how widespread the shotgun formation is these days - it's all kids are doing from the earliest levels, and "traditional" under center QBs are nearly non-existent at the college level. 

 

Only 5 NFL teams had the majority of their snaps from under center in 2019 - SF, Minnesota, Tenn, LA Rams, and Oakland. 

I don’t mind if the QB is old school traditional or not, what I want is results. If those come from shotgun, I’m fine with that. It’s sort of a dumbing down if the game a bit but if it works, then you adapt to it. This game will always evolve. We’ve gone from running wins to defense wins to high power offenses win and back around. Rule changes also have affected how games get played imho. At one point in time, you could nearly have sex with a receiver downfield and never get called, now you blow in his ear, it’s a flag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Understood, Jdubu.  My thought - these guys only go out and look to the sideline for a playcall,  and run said play from the shotgun.  No audibles, no thinking - just do as they're told.  

 

Maybe that's the NFL's future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 9:16 AM, Chloe6124 said:

You apparently didn’t read what I said. I said if the guy they want is there it has to be a QB. Of course you don’t reach. We need to stop with only Burrow and TUA are worth that pick. If Herbert and Love are there and they think they can be the next guy that will be the pick.


No I definitely read what you said. You said “if a QB has a first round grade and Is there and they think he can be that guy then they take him at 13”. I’m not sure if you paid attention to the draft this past season and all the coverage surrounding the path to the draft but the Colts organization had a Specific draft board and graded guys in certain manner. I don’t believe they pull the Trigger on a QB just because he “has a first round grade” he could have a 1st round draft grade but they have another position graded above that QB and therefore won’t take that QB. BPA is their draft model and as I mentioned if you look at this past draft it certainly confirms that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at the QBs in the playoffs this year

 

4 guys were Top 10 picks, Tannehill, Allen, Wentz and Mahommes.  And Tannehill does not play for the team that drafted him 8th overall.

 

In the NFC Championship game Rogers was the 26th pick and Grappolo(sp??) was a 3rd rounder, Brees was a 2nd rounder.

 

Then from the teams that have lost you have Brady (6th round), Cousins (3rd round), Wilson (3rd round), Watson (12th pick), Jackson (32nd pick), and Allen (7th overall)

 

What's my point to all this?  A lot of posters on here are saying the Colts need to move up to get one of the top Qbs and the need for a top 10 QB is not being proven in the NFL.  Additionally, my point is scouting reports are often wrong about players, especially QBs.  Wilson was considered too short, Mahommes was considered a Day 2 or Day 3 prospect, Allen was thought by some that he could go number 1 overall.

 

So far CB has developed trust that he can find the type of players Reich wants and Reich has built some trust that he knows what it takes to be a good player at multiple positions.  So, even though I have the QB that I think would be a good fit for the Colts, I do trust that the players these guys pick are picked based on sound reasoning.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 8:54 AM, twfish said:

Here's the thing, a top tier DT isn't really going to win you any games VS a mid tier DT where as a top tier QB is going to win you a ton more games vs a mid tier. So if the QB we have our eyes on is there at 13 take him then. 

How many top-tier quarterbacks do you think will be in this draft? Just because you pick them at 13 doesn't mean they are going to be an all pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 11:28 AM, Orioles22 said:

How many top-tier quarterbacks do you think will be in this draft? Just because you pick them at 13 doesn't mean they are going to be an all pro.

I know this question wasn't directed at me but I thought I would answer it.

 

IMO, there are two top tier QBs in this draft, Burrow and Gordon.  But I don't think either of them are generational talents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 4:30 PM, BProland85 said:

 

If Derrick Brown, Jerry Jeudy, and CeeDee Lamb are gone by pick 13, I'd be all for trading back and picking up an extra 2nd or more and land DT Javon Kinlaw. Then we could always trade back up to the pick right before New England or so and still be able to land QB Jordan Love. 


I like trading down in the first if our WR isn’t there.  But I would add Ruggs to the list of guys I’d take at 13.  I’m really warming to him - elite speed and body control, great hands, and elite quickness and athleticism to develop as a route runner.

 

If Ruggs, Lamb, and Jeudy are all gone, I’m either taking Kinlaw or trading down in the first to select a lesser WR or a LT successor to Castonzo (who I think will return this year)...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 3:31 PM, Chloe6124 said:

That is taking a huge risk. First you need a trade partner. Second you never know another team might want to move back up also. If the QB is there you take him at 

I truly believe Ballard is not going to waste a pick on taking a QB with the first pick.....  Especially where the Colts are drafting 

 Big gamble if Love was taken and dosen't pan out.  The Colts are on the doorstep and need several pieces.  The Luck thing was a set back now I hope the left tackle doesn't become one.  With additional pieces on defense the colts can be a top 10 defense.  Hoping the draft will address this first.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard has been pretty transparent in telling people what he'll do in the draft. When he said he was going trenches, he went trenches. He said defense, he went defense.

This draft, he's made it clear he's reloading offensive weapons. I'm expecting 2 of those first 3 picks to go towards the offense, so probably a wideout with the first pick.

 

We'll see what free agency brings as well. Highly doubt a QB is getting picked within the Colts first 2 picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 12:28 PM, Orioles22 said:

How many top-tier quarterbacks do you think will be in this draft? Just because you pick them at 13 doesn't mean they are going to be an all pro.

 

no more than 2 or 3, top tier are strong words to use

 

top tier Qbs coming from round 3 or later are the exceptions not the norm at all.  wilsons or bradys dont exactly happen every year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They want a SB in Ohio before Clevelant. So. Cincinnati will not trade their first pick for all the tea in China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 4:27 PM, Chloe6124 said:

If a QB they think is the next guy and has a first round grade is at 13 that will be the pick. QB is the biggest need at this point. It all depends who is there at QB when we pick and what we do in FA. You don’t risk losing a QB that you believe is the next guy when it’s the biggest need. You never know I’d your going to be in that position again to get the future QB. It’s something you can’t put off.

Can't put off?  Well, I think that depends on whether the drafter thinks the guy they are looking at is better than what they already have.  Is Jordan Love better than Jacoby Brissett?  That is the question.  I don't happen to think so, but I have been wrong before.  FA may change the way we all feel about the draft as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 1:35 PM, Archer said:


I like trading down in the first if our WR isn’t there.  But I would add Ruggs to the list of guys I’d take at 13.  I’m really warming to him - elite speed and body control, great hands, and elite quickness and athleticism to develop as a route runner.

 

If Ruggs, Lamb, and Jeudy are all gone, I’m either taking Kinlaw or trading down in the first to select a lesser WR or a LT successor to Castonzo (who I think will return this year)...

I like Ruggs as well.  Reminds me of a bigger, slightly faster TY.  Great body control and a great YAC producer.  Anxious to see what he runs at the combine but I suspect he will push near the record.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Can't put off?  Well, I think that depends on whether the drafter thinks the guy they are looking at is better than what they already have.  Is Jordan Love better than Jacoby Brissett?  That is the question.  I don't happen to think so, but I have been wrong before.  FA may change the way we all feel about the draft as well.

Isn’t that what I said. I clearly said if they are in love with the QB and feel he is the guy. I never mentioned reaching for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Isn’t that what I said. I clearly said if they are in love with the QB and feel he is the guy. I never mentioned reaching for one.

I guess I was looking more at the "can't put off" part.  Yeah, obviously if your guy is there, you take him.  Sorry for the confusion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...