Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns request interview with Dodds (Update: Dodds to stay in Indy)

CR91

42 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the browns already hired a coach so they want a new gm to come in and have no say in coach the owner is running the team no good candidate is gonna come in without a vision for the team picking the style .   like ballard wanted to draft players who are fast that can fit his cover 2 scheme imagine if jim irsay said were keeping chuck no matter what and running a 3-4 so start drafting heavy slower guys.   ed dodds is not that dumb gms wanna pick their own coach and staff

I don’t mind it. Because they are giving the coach a opportunity to pick the GM they can work well with. Chances are the GM and the coach already have a good relationship.

Probably doesnt want to work for Haslem. Can't blame him.

Haslem makes the hiring mistakes, finally realizes his mistakes and then fires his mistakes, while continuing on as a *...

Not that Dobbs would be a mistake, but I wouldn't want to get caught up in that cycle.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:47 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

This would literally be the worst thing that could happen to the Colts at this point. First, Luck leaves, then Ed Dobbs is possibly gone. We already lost Rex Hogan to the Jets and Morocco Brown is a candidate to be hired by the Redskins for GM. That "with the next pick" series was the worst thing we could of done. Now everyone's trying to poach us.

No one is trying to poach the colts based on a video series of 5 minute videos the Colts did for the fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, waka waka said:

In the video interviews after the draft I thought he said he wanted to stay in this role he was in. Had no intention on becoming a GM. We shall see.

I thougt I remembered him stating he prefers to be the right hand man versus the man because he prefers to focus on the scouting and talent evaluation.....versus the business side with contracts, salary cap, etc., etc.

• Like 1

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Browns request interview with Dodds (Update: Dodds to stay in Indy)
13 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

:lol:

With Haslam as the owner he knew he was going to be on the street after 1 year.  A damn volatile owner and a 1st time head coach versus being with Ballard, Irsay,  and Reich.  Dodds declined that offer almost without hesitation.  Didn't even have to put much thought into it!  I mean Haslam just sat there and fired a very experience GM after 2 years.  What kind of chance would Dodds have to build anything significant.?  I'm wondering why Haslam doesn't see that all the stable teams in his division do their best to keep their staff in place?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I mean Haslam just sat there and fired a very experience GM after 2 years.  What kind of chance would Dodds have to build anything significant.?  I'm wondering why Haslam doesn't see that all the stable teams in his division do their best to keep their staff in place?

Exactly, well said. Dodds is a sharp guy, I wasn't surprised in the least when he declined. But then again, the glitz and glam of being amongst the NFL's elite can twist many a man's common sense. 

I also believe this is another testament to CB's ability to bring in top talent and keep them. I'm a huge fan of CB. Apparently so is Dodds.

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

Exactly, well said. Dodds is a sharp guy, I wasn't surprised in the least when he declined. But then again, the glitz and glam of being amongst the NFL's elite can twist many a man's common sense. 

I also believe this is another testament to CB's ability to bring in top talent and keep them. I'm a huge fan of CB. Apparently so is Dodds.

I'm sure Dorsey gave Ballard and Dodds some intel on that Cleveland deal also.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2020 at 5:51 PM, EastStreet said:

Some are happy to trade happiness for a few years, in exchange for financial security the rest of their lives.

In Dodd's case, he can always go back to being a #2.

I  can't find his salary, but I know in June of 2019 he was promoted from Vice President of Player Personnel to Assistant GM.  He was probably making ~$250k prior to his promotion and is now probably making >$400k.  

Sure an upgrade to $1mil k would be nice, but it's not like he's financially insecure where he's at now.  

There have been rumors for a while that Dodds doesn't want to be a GM, he likes flying under the radar.  And the vast majority of people in America could live pretty comfortably at $400k +.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 11:33 AM, CurBeatElite said:

I  can't find his salary, but I know in June of 2019 he was promoted from Vice President of Player Personnel to Assistant GM.  He was probably making ~$250k prior to his promotion and is now probably making >$400k.  

Sure an upgrade to $1mil k would be nice, but it's not like he's financially insecure where he's at now.  

There have been rumors for a while that Dodds doesn't want to be a GM, he likes flying under the radar.  And the vast majority of people in America could live pretty comfortably at $400k +.

Shoot, I’d be happy making 10% of his salary at this point. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 11:33 AM, CurBeatElite said:

Agree, some folks just don't want the spot life. Bottom line, if he's happy where he is, that's best for us. I still think a 5 year 1M/year deal is a life changing offer that could set him up for life regardless of what happens down the road. Some folks just aren't cut out for the spotlight though. Sorry for the late reply. Been traveling the last two weeks.