Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
CR91

Browns request interview with Dodds (Update: Dodds to stay in Indy)

If the browns do hire Dobbs, I wonder if this would push Ballard to get Dorsey

• Like 4

Colts granted the browns permission to talk to him. Not sure if this is a job be would take. If he does get it maybe this opens the door for Dorsey to join Ballard.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Colts granted the browns permission to talk to him. Not sure if this is a job be would take. If he does get it maybe this opens the door for Dorsey to join Ballard.

Hard pass on Dorsey unless they keep him away from players.

Unless Dobbs has no interest in career advancement, he'll take it. He's considered to be a guy that doesn't like attention, so perhaps he stays... but that would be really silly unless he's simply happy with being a lifetime #2. I'm sure the Browns are willing spend the cash on him. 

• Confused 1

Would be a good choice. Some of the quotes I’ve read from Dodd’s makes me think there is a solid chance he wouldn’t take the job though. Things about only getting one chance and it having to be the right situation. I honestly can’t see the Browns being the “right situation” with how terribly the ownership has been handling that team and the constant turnover of both GMs and coaches there. 

• Like 5

I don’t know much about Dobbs besides that he is very well respected and that video special the Colts ran he seems like a very well rounded evaluator. Also doesnt seem like he takes any *. 

Maybe give the Browns Ballard and we keep Dobbs? Jk...... or am I.

Would be a great hire by the Browns but I’m not sure if he takes it. He stated that he wants the perfect opportunity and wouldnt take just any job to be a GM. The way things went down with Dorsey and the ownership of the Browns I don’t think Dobbs would take it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

53 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If the browns do hire Dobbs, I wonder if this would push Ballard to get Dorsey

One would hope. Losing Dodds would be a huge blow. 

49 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Unless Dobbs has no interest in career advancement, he'll take it. He's considered to be a guy that doesn't like attention, so perhaps he stays... but that would be really silly unless he's simply happy with being a lifetime #2. I'm sure the Browns are willing spend the cash on him. 

13 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

I don’t know much about Dobbs besides that he is very well respected and that video special the Colts ran he seems like a very well rounded evaluator. Also doesnt seem like he takes any sh**. 

Maybe give the Browns Ballard and we keep Dobbs? Jk...... or am I.

Would be a great hire by the Browns but I’m not sure if he takes it. He stated that he wants the perfect opportunity and wouldnt take just any job to be a GM. The way things went down with Dorsey and the ownership of the Browns I don’t think Dobbs would take it.

Dobbs? The bugler from F Troop? :funny:

dobbs.thumb.jpg.a792d56d646f9ae261e0ee2f2cbb596c.jpg

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, pacolts56 said:

was carrying on from the title i guess lol

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

Can't see him taking it if Browns go with McDaniels :number1:

That would be very odd.

Dobbs seems like a pretty smart cat. That’s why I can’t imagine him working for one of the worst owners in the NFL. He does deserve a shot just for putting together the legion of boom.... I hope Jimmy takes care of him.

• Like 1

Ugh. I’ve heard Ed Dobbs is a huge part of our drafting guys like Leonard and Orekee!

I wouldnt want to lose Dobbs. Theres a quote somewhere out there that goes "if you ask 10 NFL front offices which talent scout is the best, chances are you'll hear Ed Dobbs name the most". We gotta keep this guy 

If Dobbs is well known in 10 NFL front offices, lets keep him and let Dodds go. On the other hand, he was part of drafting Orekee, who is not on the team already...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Here's an article from StampedeBlue from last May.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/5/20/18631839/ed-dodds-is-a-top-gm-candidate-so-how-long-can-the-colts-keep-him/comment/509037067

"For the time being, Colts fans can sit back, relax, and marvel at Ballard and Dodds’ effective “1-2 punch”, knowing full well that the franchise very well could have two of the league’s best talent evaluators under one roof"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Why trade happiness for status and money? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

Why trade happiness for status and money? 

Some are happy to trade happiness for a few years, in exchange for financial security the rest of their lives.

In Dodd's case, he can always go back to being a #2.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Some are happy to trade happiness for a few years, in exchange for financial security the rest of their lives.

In Dodd's case, he can always go back to being a #2.

I would always be open to an opportunity as a person when someone wants to interview me. It just depends if he sees the price as worth the move. 

5 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Yeah that’s the one.

i can’t believe I didn’t remember to put my two favorite letters together. DD

• Haha 1

Funny that the Ballard haters like Dodd’s even though he has been a large part of our drafts.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

Funny that the Ballard haters like Dodd’s even though he has been a large part of our drafts.  

I don't see very many Ballard haters at all on this site. I see non-worshipers, but not a lot of haters. Big difference.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see very many Ballard haters at all on this site. I see non-worshipers, but not a lot of haters. Big difference.

Okay then don’t call us that like him a worshiper. Fair enough? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Okay then don’t call us that like him a worshiper. Fair enough? 

If....

1. You hate most or all of the things Ballard does, you might be a hater.....

2. You freak out when anyone questions anything Ballard does, you might be a worshiper.... 

3. You like the good, but question things from time to time (including draft strategy/picks), and can have a civil conversation/debate about them, you might be a normal fan....

I call'em how I see'em

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Eh, reading most of these posts, fans seem to think Dodds exit would open the door if the team wanted to try to lure Borsey in as assistant GM.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This would literally be the worst thing that could happen to the Colts at this point. First, Luck leaves, then Ed Dobbs is possibly gone. We already lost Rex Hogan to the Jets and Morocco Brown is a candidate to be hired by the Redskins for GM. That "with the next pick" series was the worst thing we could of done. Now everyone's trying to poach us.

• Like 1

Ed Dodds is the man and his rep will afford him the ability to wait for a good, stable situation, assuming he even wants a GM job.  The Browns are a mess.  I just hope Mr Irsay is generous with him so he can afford to wait for the perfect opportunity.    

• Like 2

The browns are allowing their coaching candidates to pick someone as GM they would like to work with. Dodds is the choice of one of their canidates.

Good for Dodds. However, I'm not sure I'd take that job. The Browns whole GM & HC searching process is kinda weird. They interview their HC candidates, and doesn't name any of them but begin to interview GM candidates, to find a "good match". But who will answer who? A situation like that can quickly turn into a mess if limits of power are not crystal clean.

So, he should be careful. His stock will probably only rise in the next few years, so this is probably not his only chance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree, re: Dorsey.  There’s a reason he’s been fired twice in the last several years.  And it’s not just the moves he did or didn’t make.  I don’t think his temperament fits the Colts’ culture.

I know that Ballard loves and admires him.  But he’s not right for us.

6 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Never heard of him.

If you watched the 'With the next pick' series, he's in it. Check out episode 2, Dodds is the one speaking at the 16 second mark. https://www.colts.com/video/with-the-next-pick-love-the-process

Oh, and it's Dorsey who Ballard hangs up on during draft day. Lol. (Episode 5, 2:15 mark, https://www.colts.com/video/with-the-next-pick-the-colts-are-on-the-clock)

On 1/11/2020 at 2:22 PM, EastStreet said:

hes not gonna take the browns job ..... they fire guys after one bad season if jim irsay was the browns owner ballard and reich would be gone this year. browns finished with basically same record as the colts.  dorsey drafted so much talent and got talent in free angency and trades . the browns team is young and full of talent , to fire the gm that quick is why they are toxic they will not get good talent

8 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I agree, re: Dorsey.  There’s a reason he’s been fired twice in the last several years.  And it’s not just the moves he did or didn’t make.  I don’t think his temperament fits the Colts’ culture.

I know that Ballard loves and admires him.  But he’s not right for us.

He kind of wrecked KC's financials lol. Also * off half the team. Still can't believe he fired/cut Maclin via voicemail lol...

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article158155634.html

https://kckingdom.com/2017/12/09/kansas-city-chiefs-10-biggest-mistakes-john-dorsey

the browns already hired a coach so they want a new gm to come in and have no say in coach the owner is running the team no good candidate is gonna come in without a vision for the team picking the style .   like ballard wanted to draft players who are fast that can fit his cover 2 scheme imagine if jim irsay said were keeping chuck no matter what and running a 3-4 so start drafting heavy slower guys.   ed dodds is not that dumb gms wanna pick their own coach and staff

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

hes not gonna take the browns job ..... they fire guys after one bad season if jim irsay was the browns owner ballard and reich would be gone this year. browns finished with basically same record as the colts.  dorsey drafted so much talent and got talent in free angency and trades . the browns team is young and full of talent , to fire the gm that quick is why they are toxic they will not get good talent

The GM hiring Kitchens is the primary reason the GM got fired. And Dorsey went spend happy without considering culture fit, etc.. Guessing Browns ownership didn't want to end up like KC did cap wise after a few years with Dorsey. Take a look at the links above on Dorsey.

But yes, the Browns org is a cluster. Dorsey and Kitchens made the cluster even more clusteree lol.

https://footballscoop.com/news/kevin-stefanski-cleveland-browns-head-coach/

Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski will be the next head coach of the Browns...

With Stefanski’s hire, multiple folks have suggested the Browns could ultimately hire Vikings assistant general manager George Paton as their new GM.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-to-hire-former-vikings-offensive-coordinator-kevin-stefanski-as-franchises-18th-head-coach-per-report/

Cleveland intends to involve Stefanski in their general manager search, which could lean favorably to Vikings assistant GM George Paton or Eagles VP Andrew Berry. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter also reports that Cleveland has since requested permission to interview Berry for their GM position.