Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC Championship Game

danlhart87

Chiefs will win this but it won't be easy. Tannehill won't be able to get away with throwing for 100 Yards and 1 TD against that team. KC will stack the box against them to maintain what Henry does. That will force Tannehill to have to make key plays for them to win. I don't see it. KC struggles to stop the run but they can live with Henry getting like 110 yards as long as he doesn't go 190.

This looks like Titan's year.  The year of the Cinderella team.....Won't be surprise if the Titans pull it out.  Everyone thought, the Ravens was going to walk all over the Titans, but Coach Vrable  did his homework and came out with an excellent game plan. I say Titans over the Chiefs, might be close though.

• Like 1

I saw a press conference with Mike Vrabel after the Wild Card game, and he said something to the effect of how much he appreciated his players who "allowed me to coach them up hard". He was always a hard-nosed player, and that is translating into his coaching style. In just two years under Vrabel, the Titans have gone from "doormat of the AFC South" to a team that has at least a shot at a Super Bowl. They're no longer a joke, folks!

7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Titans at Chiefs 

Thoughts?

The Ravens only lost because of bad turnovers and Lamar becoming oddly inconstant. Mahomes is definitely no Lamar and can beat you in so many ways. That said if the chiefs can avoid the give away like they did in the first half vs Houston plus stop Henry then this will be another blow out win for them

3 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

The Ravens only lost because of bad turnovers and Lamar becoming oddly inconstant. Mahomes is definitely no Lamar and can beat you in so many ways. That said if the chiefs can avoid the give away like they did in the first half vs Houston plus stop Henry then this will be another blow out win for them

I thought after 66 carries for nearly 400 yards in 2 weeks that henry would be too gassed to be effective in the 2nd half of the Ravens game... I was way wrong.  I'm not sure if there is a way to stop Henry this year.

That being said though, the Chiefs are much harder to game plan for than the Ravens.  For the Ravens you figure out a way to stop Jackson from running and make him beat you passing the ball.  In order to slow down Mahommes a team has to figure out a way to stop Kelce and Hill and Watkins and Williams.

After watching what the Titans have done the past two weeks against two very good run defenses, anything is possible.

They are confident, Henry is a beast, and they do just enough to win game now.  Chiefs have a poor run defense, so Henry will once again be a huge factor.  The Chiefs are tough at home, but so were the Pats and Ravens.

I expect KC to win, but won't be surprised if the Titans win this one, too.

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chiefs will win this but it won't be easy. Tannehill won't be able to get away with throwing for 100 Yards and 1 TD against that team. KC will stack the box against them to maintain what Henry does. That will force Tannehill to have to make key plays for them to win. I don't see it. KC struggles to stop the run but they can live with Henry getting like 110 yards as long as he doesn't go 190.

I’m pretty sure the Pats and Ravens tried this and it didn’t work.. well at least not for the Ravens hard say the Pats D failed giving up only 14 points but the man got 165 yards still.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:14 AM, Four2itus said:

As he should be. 

Yep. They won't make mistakes like the Texans did, play sound special teams and clock control. Mahomes will have to put up points in the low 20s in the 6 to 7 limited possessions he will likely get. If Mahomes gets more than 24 points, there is a good chance the Chiefs win. Otherwise, it will be shaky.

#6 seeds in championship games recently (AFC and NFC):

2005 Steelers - won an afternoon AFCCG vs Broncos, won the SB

2008 Ravens - lost in a night time AFCCG to a Polamalu pick six vs Steelers in Flacco's rookie year

2008 Eagles - lost in an afternoon NFCCG to Kurt Warner and the Cardinals

2010 Packers - won an afternoon NFCCG vs Bears, won the SB

2010 Jets - lost in a night time AFCCG to Steelers and Big Ben

Since 2004 (chose 2004 since no team has gone back-to-back since then), the team that wins the night time championship game has won the SB outside 3 occasions (twice, a #6 seed made the SB, once it was the vaunted Broncos' D that bucked the trend for Peyton). 2005, 2010, 2015 (year of the regular season).

2004 Patriots

2005 Steelers (day time AFCCG)

2006 Colts

2007 Giants

2008 Steelers

2009 Saints

2010 Packers (day time NFCCG)

2011 Giants

2012 Ravens

2013 Seahawks

2014 Patriots

2015 Broncos (day time AFCCG)

2016 Patriots

2017 Eagles

2018 Patriots

So, based on this, 2020 regular season will be the year the day time championship game winner or a #6 seed will win it all, Titans missed by 1 year, LOL. :) 

Also, based on this, the winner of the 49ers-Packers night time championship game will win it all. It is destiny!!! :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think the Chiefs win this game.

I think I'm rooting for the Titans to win, but I'm torn because a Chiefs/49rs Super Bowl would be good.  

Mahomes reminds me the closest of Peyton, with his ability to put up points and getting the offensive excitement back in the league, would like to watch him in the SB, Titans in the SB would not be as exciting to me to watch with my team not in it.

Hence I will root for Mahomes to make it. NFC, I really don't care. I can only imagine it being called a State Farm SB if both Mahomes and Rodgers make it, would be weird. :) 

On 1/14/2020 at 10:26 AM, chad72 said:

Yep. They won't make mistakes like the Texans did, play sound special teams and clock control. Mahomes will have to put up points in the low 20s in the 6 to 7 limited possessions he will likely get. If Mahomes gets more than 24 points, there is a good chance the Chiefs win. Otherwise, it will be shaky.

#6 seeds in championship games recently (AFC and NFC):

2005 Steelers - won an afternoon AFCCG vs Broncos, won the SB

2008 Ravens - lost in a night time AFCCG to a Polamalu pick six vs Steelers in Flacco's rookie year

2008 Eagles - lost in an afternoon NFCCG to Kurt Warner and the Cardinals

2010 Packers - won an afternoon NFCCG vs Bears, won the SB

2010 Jets - lost in a night time AFCCG to Steelers and Big Ben

Since 2004 (chose 2004 since no team has gone back-to-back since then), the team that wins the night time championship game has won the SB outside 3 occasions (twice, a #6 seed made the SB, once it was the vaunted Broncos' D that bucked the trend for Peyton). 2005, 2010, 2015 (year of the regular season).

2004 Patriots

2005 Steelers (day time AFCCG)

2006 Colts

2007 Giants

2008 Steelers

2009 Saints

2010 Packers (day time NFCCG)

2011 Giants

2012 Ravens

2013 Seahawks

2014 Patriots

2015 Broncos (day time AFCCG)

2016 Patriots

2017 Eagles

2018 Patriots

So, based on this, 2020 regular season will be the year the day time championship game winner or a #6 seed will win it all, Titans missed by 1 year, LOL. :) 

Also, based on this, the winner of the 49ers-Packers night time championship game will win it all. It is destiny!!! :) 

The Chiefs run unfortunately ends in the SB, if my pattern prediction is true.