Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts better than the titans

coltsorioles

Last year the Colts beat the titans twice. This year when healthy they beat them.   A blocked field goal was the beginning of the end this season.   It's frustrating as a colts fan seeing this 9-7 team advance to the afc championship who I know when the Colts at full strength are better.   The titans might be the worst team ever  in a championship game.  Can anyone think of a worse team ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the Titans are the worst playoff team ever then what does that make Baltimore? As I see it they have a QB problem. Jackson can get yards with his feet, but he's not a very accomplished passer. What I see from TN is they have the personality of their coach, tough, hard nosed, blue collar, like Vrabel was as a LB (our coach is a preacher by the way).  And they were obviously a QB away from being a contender.

• Like 2

One thing that ticks me off about the Titans is that they stole the 2 players I really wanted for the Colts last draft. Simmons and AJ Brown. Imagine this team with those players. 

Also, Titans fans are annoying as hell. I live in Nashville and I guarantee you fans here will be all cocky now thinking they can’t be stopped. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coltsorioles said:

Can anyone think of a worse team ??

The Chicago Bears under Rex Grossman during their Superbowl run. Devin Hester made that team look better than it was. Bears fans would say, "90% of the Bears offense is special teams. The other 10% is their defense."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

See what a good  running game can do to a team. It makes them contenders. Colts no where close to the Titans caliber. Again, Tannehill threw less than a 100 yds.

The Colts were 7th in the league in rushing yards per game.  They were 4th in the league heading into the Jacksonville debacle, in which they were forced to abandon the run late in the game. 

The Titans finished 3rd. 

The Colts were 2nd in the league in rushing first downs/gm, ahead of the Titans (who were 7th). 

So, there's that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

The Chicago Bears under Rex Grossman during their Superbowl run. Devin Hester made that team look better than it was. Bears fans would say, "90% of the Bears offense is special teams. The other 10% is their defense."

I don't know, that team killed the Saints and Drew Brees in the NFC Title Game 39-14. Going back to the 90's, to me 1994 SD Chargers were by far the worst team to reach a SB. The 1998 Atlanta Falcons were pretty weak as well. How they beat Minnesota to reach the SB that year is still puzzling.

• Thanks 1

No , titans coaching staff had the stones to pull there starting Qb Marcus who was playing bad and insert Ryan and look at that AFC championship game . We didn’t have the stones to Ir Adam or bench jacoby when it was apparent he was not playing well injury or not he didn’t earn the clout like some proven guys to warrant us sticking with him all year tbh 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this but TN looks like the Giants the year they snuck in and upset the patriots the first time. 

I kept trying to tell people teams can win like this without the QB putting up huge numbers. They are winning now like we were during that 5-2 stretch. Tannehill has been the true definition of a game manager in these playoffs. He may have the worst numbers of any QB in NFL history during a playoff run that has reached a Title Game. Just run the ball for 150 yards a game and if you are the QB just don't screw anything up. Difference between the Titans and us is their defense. Their defense is giving up 12.5 points a game and that is against Brady and Jackson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I kept trying to tell people teams can win like this without the QB putting up huge numbers. They are winning now like we were during that 5-2 stretch. Tannehill has been the true definition of a game manager in these playoffs. He may have the worst numbers of any QB in NFL history during a playoff run that has reached a Title Game. Just run the ball for 150 yards a game and if your the QB just don't screw anything up. Difference between the Titans and us is their defense. Their defense is giving up 12.5 points a game and that is against Brady and Jackson.

Problem is, as you said, our defense is nowhere on that level yet. We need a Derrick Brown type DT, another pass-rusher, and an elite corner. Combine those 3 with Anthony Gordon and a decent WR like Gandy-Golden on day 3 and we could do something next year. Our defense was relatively healthy this year. It just isn't there yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Problem is, as you said, our defense is nowhere on that level yet. We need a Derrick Brown type DT, another pass-rusher, and an elite corner. Combine those 3 with Anthony Gordon and a decent WR like Gandy-Golden on day 3 and we could do something next year. Our defense was relatively healthy this year. It just isn't there yet.

I still want to draft a QB as well but I do believe if we had a defense like the Titans that JB could be a 10-6 QB. Our run game on offense is elite.

Titans are playing with house money now a lot like we were in 2014 when we faced the Pats in the Title Game. Nobody thought we would beat Denver to advance. IMO it is KC's to lose in the AFC but the Titans just held Jackson to 12 points so you never know and the Chiefs do have problems stopping the run. Henry may gash them too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still want to draft a QB as well but I do believe if we had a defense like the Titans that JB could be a 10-6 QB. Our run game on offense is elite.

If we draft a running mate to Mack, I agree. I'd like to get someone like Zack Moss or A.J. Dillon in round 4. Hines is good, but not a solid runner. Wilkins doesn't carry the ball a lot, and Williams just stopped receiving carries last year. Maybe a power back that can catch the ball would be great.

If that happened, I'd have confidence, even with Brissett at QB. Right now, my hope with him is he fell off due to injury. The Titans playoff run is pumping me up though!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If we draft a running mate to Mack, I agree. I'd like to get someone like Zack Moss or A.J. Dillon in round 4. Hines is good, but not a solid runner. Wilkins doesn't carry the ball a lot, and Williams just stopped receiving carries last year. Maybe a power back that can catch the ball would be great.

If that happened, I'd have confidence, even with Brissett at QB. Right now, my hope with him is he fell off due to injury. The Titans playoff run is pumping me up though!

Mack is definitely not better Henry but he is good. We were gashing teams by RB per committee. Henry is just a 1 man wrecking ball lmao 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

While I agree for the most part, that last 9 game stretch, we weren’t healthy on D. Desir was out most of it, and when he came back, looked like he’d lost a step. Kenny Moore was out I think almost all of it, we got destroyed in the slot there. Hooker missed some time in there a game or two as well. Leonard or Walker, can’t recall which, was out for a couple games with concussions. We lost Turray at the end of the 5-2 stretch and our QB pressures went way down. 

But yes, I’d like to see us go BPA in round 1, hopefully that is a stud DT, we’re picking about where those are normally found. Then I’d like to see us grab a CB with one of our twos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

While I agree for the most part, that last 9 game stretch, we weren’t healthy on D. Desir was out most of it, and when he came back, looked like he’d lost a step. Kenny Moore was out I think almost all of it, we got destroyed in the slot there. Hooker missed some time in there a game or two as well. Leonard or Walker, can’t recall which, was out for a couple games with concussions. We lost Turray at the end of the 5-2 stretch and our QB pressures went way down. 

But yes, I’d like to see us go BPA in round 1, hopefully that is a stud DT, we’re picking about where those are normally found. Then I’d like to see us grab a CB with one of our twos

Turay and Moore hurt a ton. At least we had solid depth behind Leonard and Okereke thrived. If Derrick Brown is there, I would 100% take him (even over Love). If Love is still there, trade up for him as late as you think he'll make it. A CB may fall from the 1st round to pick 34 as well, so that's an option.

• Like 1

We were like... one blocked field goal returned for a TD away from sweeping them so... 

I wouldn't say we are better since we are watching them from home while they are on their way to SB and playing great in the playoffs, BUT... IMO it shows we are not that far off. I will continue reiterating this - people here underestimate how good our roster is. The last month of the season left very sour taste in most of our mouths, but IMO until that game with the Titans we were actually playing pretty good football defensively. To me it looked like something broke in the will of our players in that game after the blocked FG and this team wasn't the same after that game, especially defensively.  

We have a few holes to fill and unfortunately one of them is the most important position in football, we have to give the offense a couple more playmakers and the defense a piece or two. I do think we have most of the pieces to compete though. Now it's on Ballard to find the final and most important one + round up the roster. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

One thing that ticks me off about the Titans is that they stole the 2 players I really wanted for the Colts last draft. Simmons and AJ Brown. Imagine this team with those players. 

Well.... hopefully Ballard will fix that with a penetrating DT at # 13 and one of the WRs out of this reportedly very deep WR class In Round 2 or 3.

If he can bookend Justin Houston with someone like Ngakoue or Armstead in free agency and acquire Kinlaw at #13... it should do wonders for the very solid young LB corps we already have.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

Well.... hopefully Ballard will fix that with a penetrating DT at # 13 and one of the WRs out of this reportedly very deep WR class In Round 2 or 3.

If he can bookend Justin Houston with someone like Ngakoue or Armstead in free agency and acquire Kinlaw at #13... it should do wonders for the very solid young LB corps we already have.

I really think Ballard goes DL heavy and early this year. Unless AC retires, then it’ll be LT in round 1. Other than that, I really think he’ll go after those two big uglies we need in the center of that DL. Would love to get one with the mentality of Nelson. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I kept trying to tell people teams can win like this without the QB putting up huge numbers. They are winning now like we were during that 5-2 stretch. Tannehill has been the true definition of a game manager in these playoffs. He may have the worst numbers of any QB in NFL history during a playoff run that has reached a Title Game. Just run the ball for 150 yards a game and if you are the QB just don't screw anything up. Difference between the Titans and us is their defense. Their defense is giving up 12.5 points a game and that is against Brady and Jackson.

The QB doesn't need to make a lot of plays, but he needs to make the big play at crucial times. It's not being a game manager, it's being clutch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I really think Ballard goes DL heavy and early this year. Unless AC retires, then it’ll be LT in round 1. Other than that, I really think he’ll go after those two big uglies we need in the center of that DL. Would love to get one with the mentality of Nelson. 

Exactly.... hopefully we get AC squared away for 2-3 years and upgrade RG and our OL depth this off-season as well.

Ballard has the draft capital, cap space and scouting resources to do a lot... and our DL needs physical, penetrating playmakers.

Titans are good but I don’t think they’re elite just yet. Look at their passing numbers, 80 yards passing? If they play a team and get 2-3 scores on them, they will have to abandon the run which would most likely be a totally different outcome for them. But I do give them this, Tannehill is better than Mariota. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FRW said:

(Our coach is a preacher by the way).  

This is one of the most feeble and small minded opinions bandied about on this forum.  That preacher led one of the greatest comebacks of all time.  Dungy, among many more very openly religious coaches have done just fine.  The military orders were filled with preachers who slaughtered their opponents on the field of battlefield.  The freaking Inquisition was a religious Institution...

You know, having a "Everyman" blue-collar coach is fine... And his attitude may rub off on grown men.  It has been my experience that men follow leaders, rather than peers or attitude s...

I'm looking forward to your rebuttal and learning your point of view as to how a coach, a professional leader of men having been a preacher is a negative as opposed to a "gritty tough nosed guy, the type of which are littered throughout every NFL roster.  By all means, enlighten me.......

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

The QB doesn't need to make a lot of plays, but he needs to make the big play at crucial times. It's not being a game manager, it's being clutch.

Great post. The clutch QB threw a beautiful 45 yard pass to an UDFA WR from small school Holy Cross. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Great post. The clutch QB threw a beautiful 45 yard pass to an UDFA WR from small school Holy Cross. 

Just like JB threw a perfect 45 yard pass to TY Hilton vs Denver while even getting hit by Von Miller in a game we won. According to the JB haters though we won inspite of him, he sucked. Tannehill didn't screw anything up and was a game manager at best last night. When a QB goes 7-14 for 88 yards and someone tries to paint a picture of him being Dan Marino that is very comical. If Tannehill was clutch last night so was JB vs Denver. Can't have it both ways. What Tannehill has done so far in the playoffs, JB could do. Hell I could throw for 88 yards. 

• Like 1

Here is my rebuttal. I'm sure Frank Reich is a wonderful man and cares deeply for his players, he is also a quiet contemplative man. That is what you want in a religious leader. But if I need a leader to go into battle with I want someone with fire, someone that has been in the trench, someone whom is hard nosed and who will expect to play as hard as he did. I want a leader who will have my back when I'm right and kick me in the backside when I deserve it. I don't want my coach to be my friend. I want someone I can respect, but who will call me out when I'm doing my job. Someone who storms the sidelines. Works the officials. And takes the fight to the opponents. I want Patton, not the Pope. We saw two examples this year from Frank that make my point. One of course was Vinny. He cost us games and should have been gone by mid season, but wasn't because he was being treated differently by our coach because he had earned it. You earn it by doing your job everyday, not by living on past accomplishments. And then there was CK who was put on the team as a favor to a friend with no expectations of ever playing. He was just costing the team money and a roster spot.

Football is a business. It's brutal on and off the field, and you need leaders who can make the hard decisions without letting emotions and personalities come into play. Frank has not shown he has the demeanor to do that. 

And fo