Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trenches!!!

TimetobringDfence!

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That's rubbish. Ballard has spent a 1st  and 2nd rounder on the O line.  He's had 3 drafts to add to the  D line.  The Hooker pick could have been a D line man and last year he could have moved up or picked maybe Sweat who had 7 sacks this year.  Ballard gets a pass or everyone blames Grigson for the suppoosed shambles of a roster left to Ballard.  Check my posts last year.  I banged the table for Simmons even if they had to move up. 

I wasn't talking about Ballard, which is why I didn't mention him. I was talking about the Colts regardless of the GM who was in charge.

11 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

After watching the playoffs so far the team winning are the ones with the best olines and dlines hands down. We need to Build our dline to match our oline, then get a good a QB and we will be on the path to success.

I really think Ballard will address the DL.  He talks about how important both lines are.   And during last draft i recall hearing how the 2020!should be deep at DL.  It may have been part of the plan.

I look at these facts.  When he addressed the OL he took it seriously and was thorough.  He addressed and improved the LB corps fairly quickly and dramatically.  The CB position was addressed strongly too.  Injuries have set CB and S positions back, but we do have some talent there too.

QB and now possibly LT have thrown wrenches into his “master plan“ (not to mention injuries), but he seems to land on his feet and meet the challenges head-on.

I fully expect to be pleased (realistically speaking) after this draft and offseason.  I guess i “trust the process.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the medical team and the owner don’t sign off on the guy for health reasons, then the decision to draft or not draft a player would be out of Ballard’s hands. 

A heart issue needs owner/doctor approval.   Most teams didn’t give it.  That’s why a top-10 player like Sweat lasted to pick 26. 

Yea, and the team that took him isnt exactly known as the best in the business in anything, really.  Decision making isnt a strongsuit in DC....remember Albert Haynesworth?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yea, and the team that took him isnt exactly known as the best in the business in anything, really.  Decision making isnt a strongsuit in DC....remember Albert Haynesworth?

Yup....   good point.

And a year or two ago, Oakland, with Jon Gruden running the show, drafted a DT from Michigan.    Maurice Hurst.   But he fell out of the 1st round all the way to the 5th round where the Raiders finally took him.

So not only did the Colts pass him up with every pick,  but so did every other team for four full rounds including Oakland who eventually drafted him.   Unfortunate...   the kid was made for our team...   perfect positional fit.   This kind of thing happens from time to time.    By the way,  for what it's worth, since I just looked him up.    Looks like he plays part time.   Just 11 tackles,  but 3.5 sacks this year.

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I really think Ballard will address the DL.  He talks about how important both lines are.   And during last draft i recall hearing how the 2020!should be deep at DL.  It may have been part of the plan.

I look at these facts.  When he addressed the OL he took it seriously and was thorough.  He addressed and improved the LB corps fairly quickly and dramatically.  The CB position was addressed strongly too.  Injuries have set CB and S positions back, but we do have some talent there too.

QB and now possibly LT have thrown wrenches into his “master plan“ (not to mention injuries), but he seems to land on his feet and meet the challenges head-on.

I fully expect to be pleased (realistically speaking) after this draft and offseason.  I guess i “trust the process.”

Ballard will pay up this off season for a DT and draft one in the 1st 3 picks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Solid players on the D line

Turay, Houston and Sheard. But we need some true defensive tackles that can put the ball and close the middle up. Kinlaw will be a great piece to add in the draft

I easily expect Ballard to draft 3 defensive lineman

Kinlaw will very likely be there at 13. And would be just what the Colts need. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

'Since we are farther off-"plan" than expected

Not sure how true that is.  I always thought this team had the pieces to compete if things fell right.  They didn't fall right.  We had a really bad run of luck last year including  Vinateiri's issues that cost us at least 2 games.

I think that 7-9 record is a bit of a mirage, if you return the same players and Vinateiri and TY stay healthy this team is an easy 9-7 or even 10-6

Now I don't think this means we should be complacent, far from it.  But if you're evaluating the team as it is, there's a lot to like, especially with Pascal and Johnson showing signs that they might be reliable WR depth.

BTW I do think the team will probably invest in a new kicker next year.  Sorry AV, thanks for the good years, but we're trying to go places, and you're not helping us get there anymore.

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Not sure how true that is.  I always thought this team had the pieces to compete if things fell right.  They didn't fall right.  We had a really bad run of luck last year including  Vinateiri's issues that cost us at least 2 games.

I think that 7-9 record is a bit of a mirage, if you return the same players and Vinateiri and TY stay healthy this team is an easy 9-7 or even 10-6

Now I don't think this means we should be complacent, far from it.  But if you're evaluating the team as it is, there's a lot to like, especially with Pascal and Johnson showing signs that they might be reliable WR depth.

BTW I do think the team will probably invest in a new kicker next year.  Sorry AV, thanks for the good years, but we're trying to go places, and you're not helping us get there anymore.

Let me clarify. We were very much on plan heading into this year before Luck bolted. All 5 units (pass O, rush O, pass D, rush D, STs) were heading in the correct direction, and we had added some nice upgrades via FA and the draft.

The exodus by Luck hurt more than anything. We went from a QB who raised the level of play from WRs/TEs, to a QB who lowered the level play (regression), condensed the playbook, and added pressure to the OL, running game, and entire D. Add in the woes of the kicking game, which added stress to the D.

Conversely, we also had some good things happen. Our schedule turned out to be much softer than originally thought. LAC stunk. We got KC at their most beat up. Foles who most thought would improve Jax a lot, was injured, and later ineffective. Pitt lost their QB for the year. Our OL who was musical chairs the first 3rd of 2018 was healthy and sustained all year. Our running game which lacked Mack the first 3rd of 2018 was healthy most of the year, and didn't really skip a beat when Mack was out for a few games. 

I do agree we could quickly turn things back around with the right changes, but this year was anything but a mirage. If you plugged Luck back into the offense, I think things would get back to 2018 level quickly, but that's not going to happen. JB improving to the level needed isn't going to happen. Expecting a rook QB to come in and make things great again could happen, but that's a big ask. In short, the loss of Luck impacted more than just the passing game. The regression of the passing game directly created an increased requirement of the other units, and/or put stress on them.

So back to the original comment, we're still farther off plan than expected. This year's schedule will be harder, we'll either be hoping JB improves, or hoping a new QB was the right pick. ST is the easiest fix IMO. All the other stuff (QB, pass rush, pass D) is far more complex.

13 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I'm amazed at the people who demand we draft a quarterback at 13 and they don't care who it is, even if it's someone who should be picked at 33 or 53.

I think/hope Ballard is smart enough to get one of the two top defensive tackles with our first pick.

I don’t see any of that. I think your just mad because you don’t like the ones we might take. I haven’t seen anyone say take any QB at 13. I have seen the opposite.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t see any of that. I think your just mad because you don’t like the ones we might take. I haven’t seen anyone say take any QB at 13. I have seen the opposite.

What I read on this thread was "take a quarterback at 13." Who do you want to take at 13? I want Brown or Kinlaw, not just any tackle.

2 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

What I read on this thread was "take a quarterback at 13." Who do you want to take at 13? I want Brown or Kinlaw, not just any tackle.

That doesn’t mean people are saying take anyone. As bad as Jacoby played down the stretch we can’t have that kind of QB anymore. We need a QB and if the right one is there at 13 that should be the pick. When you don’t have a QB you have to play mistake free football to win. I dont want that anymore. I want a QB that can win us games if the right guy is there.

6 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

Who are the right ones?

I'd rather fill our needs on defense and maybe at receiver and sign a quarterback.

Whoever ballard thinks is the right guy at 13. Doesn’t matter what fans think. If he thinks the right guy is there he needs to take him. A franchise QB is going to bring more value to a team then any DT. WR does nothing if the QB can’t get him the ball. This is a deep WR class. There will be a good one there with either of our 2nd round picks.

13 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

That's true. I think he knows the franchise quarterback in the draft is going to the Bengals. Maybe he likes someone else at quarterback, but my guess it will be someone in the second or third round.

There is potentially five QB that could go in  first rd. Don’t get hung up on only one is a franchise QB.  None of the QB left in the playoffs were even top five picks.

Just now, Orioles22 said:

Ballard talked about reaching - two or three of those five should go in the second. I think he's smart enough to wait. We would probably be reaching taking any quarterback but Burrow or Tua (and I'm not sold on him) at 13.

Love has franchise written all over him. I am not sold on Eason going in the first. I don’t think Fromm does either. Most likely Burrow, tua, Herbert and Love are first rd picks. Like I said just because you don’t have the choice of the first two doesn’t mean there are no more franchise guys. Like someone posted on another thread Loves draft profile is almost the same as Mahomes was. We will get a better idea with the QB with the senior bowl and combine.

2 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

Who are the right ones?

I'd rather fill our needs on defense and maybe at receiver and sign a quarterback.

Sign a QB? And who would that be?  If we are going to spend big on a position in FA it is much easier to find a good DT in FA than a good QB.  If Ballard thinks there is 0% chance any of the guys are franchise quality , than sure grab another position at 13 ... But you have to roll the dice on QB in the draft even if you only think they might be the guy.

9 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

If he's Mahomes we win a Super Bowl in 3-5 years. If he's a bust, and we pick him 13, Ballard and Reich will be gone in 2-3 years. I don't think he is, but Ballard makes the call, as you said.

If we bust as a team, three straight years with a downward progression, you almost have to make changes

There is no "for sure" QBs in this draft

I believe that we have 2-3 that have a decent chance to make it (still not even 50/50)

If Love is seen as the best QB "fit" for this team at 13 by CB...... you make him your guy

But........

My "gut" says that you grab the best player on your board, and that has a decent chance to be Kinlaw at 13. 

It would seem to be a less risky proposition 

I would could be happy with either him or a QB

But..... a penetrating 3Tech could do wonders for the whole defensive side of the ball.....

A big impact

• Like 1

I don't believe Ballard will waste the 13th pick on someone who "might" be good. I think it will be Brown or Kinlaw with a receiver at 34.

I'd go with Rivers or Bridgewater or several of the others. An average quarterback last year would have produced 10 or 11 wins. We have to improve the defensive front for the long term.

• Like 1

I think the chance of Brown being available at 13 is roughly 1%.  That essentially means we'd be locking ourselves into 1 player.  I think a great DT can have similar effect on this defense as a QB can have on the offense, so either way I'm good.  If one of Lamb/Jeudy is there for some reason, I wouldn't be mad at that pick either.  I'd personally prefer a QB, I find myself falling victim to the Love hype, but as long as we don't pick a C or RB in the first, I think I'm going to be ok with whatever the pick is, lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I don't believe Ballard will waste the 13th pick on someone who "might" be good. I think it will be Brown or Kinlaw with a receiver at 34.

I'd go with Rivers or Bridgewater or several of the others. An average quarterback last year would have produced 10 or 11 wins. We have to improve the defensive front for the long term.

It wouldnt be a wasted pick until you saw how it turned out

I just dont see Rivers moving his enormous family to Indy for what may be one year.

He is on a decline as well.  I bet he retires

Bridgewater would be interesting, and a viable option, and allow you to build up the rest of the team while you are getting good (Not great) QB play

We have 3 picks in the first 45 picks

These 3 can help a team in a major way

There is much much evaluations going to happen over the next 3 1/2 months

IMHO

You go BPA........  If Love is truly BPA...... you pick Love

If Kinlaw is best BPA...... you pick Kinlaw

I'm with the minority here. I think Ballard does not go QB with our first pick. The forum is going to go into a colossal melt down mode. It's hard to judge any of these QBs before the combine. In my eyes, Burrows is the only sure thing. I'd pick the monster DT with our first pick. BPA with #34 and so on.

• Like 1

Love was a second-round pick in the mock drafts I saw, especially earlier in the process. That could be who Ballard means when talking about reaching, or maybe he does like him and will take him there. I hope he's right if he does.

Tua will be gone by our pick, and I'm glad considering his injury.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:32 PM, NewColtsFan said:

If the medical team and the owner don’t sign off on the guy for health reasons, then the decision to draft or not draft a player would be out of Ballard’s hands. 

A heart issue needs owner/doctor approval.   Most teams didn’t give it.  That’s why a top-10 player like Sweat lasted to pick 26. 

I get that...but we don’t know that Sweat was off the board...or at least I have never heard anything that points to that.

From Ballard’s quotes about that trade back...he said they felt they could get more value in the trade back...implying that a trade back was more value than taking any player there (including Sweat). 

They also loved Rock as well. Had they not traded back...it sounds like they probably pull the trigger on him there.

5 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I'm with the minority here. I think Ballard does not go QB with our first pick. The forum is going to go into a colossal melt down mode. It's hard to judge any of these QBs before the combine. In my eyes, Burrows is the only sure thing. I'd pick the monster DT with our first pick. BPA with #34 and so on.

Precisely. DT/WR/OL in that order.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I get that...but we don’t know that Sweat was off the board...or at least I have never heard anything that points to that.

From Ballard’s quotes about that trade back...he said they felt they could get more value in the trade back...implying that a trade back was more value than taking any player there (including Sweat). 

They also loved Rock as well. Had they not traded back...it sounds like they probably pull the trigger on him there.

A top 10 player falls to pick 26 and you say we don’t if he was off the board?

Really?    Seriously?

Not sure what more you need?

And yet, you think they would’ve taken him had they stayed at 26.   And that would be based on...   what exactly? 

On 1/12/2020 at 3:21 PM, Imgrandojji said:

I think Chase is our kicker.  

With Brissett the record is most likely 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7.  

On 1/11/2020 at 5:51 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

After watching the playoffs so far the team winning are the ones with the best olines and dlines hands down. We need to Build our dline to match our oline, then get a good a QB and we will be on the path to success.

I don’t think KC fits that narrative, but yeah.  

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 10:24 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Love has franchise written all over him. I am not sold on Eason going in the first. I don’t think Fromm does either. Most likely Burrow, tua, Herbert and Love are first rd picks. Like I said just because you don’t have the choice of the first two doesn’t mean there are no more franchise guys. Like someone posted on another thread Loves draft profile is almost the same as Mahomes was. We will get a better idea with the QB with the senior bowl and combine.

To the bolded that is not true at all, yes some are comparing him to Mahommes but that is only because he has a big arm and is not mechanically sound.  One of the big plusses for Mahommes coming out of college was that he constantly scanned the field to find an open receiver.  With Love a big negative on him is he locks onto his primary target and rarely will go past his 2nd read.

Additionally Mahommes was considered very accurate on intermediate passes and above average to average on deep passes, Love is considered to be above average on intermediate passes.

I don't claim to be able to predict how well a player will do in the NFL based on a few scouting reports and seeing them in a game or two but I do know, that QBs that have issues like the scouting reports say Love has do not usually last long in the NFL.