Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

I don't think anybody can complain about out O line play anymore. Our defensive line is a comparative shambles.

 

The fact we've had to spend more resources getting the o-line sorted than anyone else in the league probably answers why the defensive front is so undermanned. Can't be strong everywhere.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t forget SF has to suck a lot to get all those studs on defense. Jimmy G gets injured and they sucked and got Bosa. We do need to upgrade the dline. If AC comes back I think the five starters are just fine on our oline. We do need depth and if a upgrade comes along for glow we can look at it. I don’t think it is a need right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the OP, teams can win various ways in the regular season, but playoff games are won in the trenches - Period. This team is a 1 win or 1 and done squad at best with the current players at the LOS.

 

The interior D-Line needs both NT & UT additions, plus the continued development of the 4 young rushers Lewis, Turay, Banogu & Green.

 

Conversely, Colts fans & media bobbleheads continue to use the words like great and best when describing the O-Line. Those labels overate the group. It's a blind spot that's formed from being so bad, for so long, I suppose. The right side is neither great, nor best, at anything. This team needs a RT, right now, and a impactful upgrade at TE.

 

It seems like many are so focused on hating JB, they've lost sight of the fundamentals.

 

Every other player, at every other position will benefit from quality upgrades at those 4 positions.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember Ballard went after Houston because he didn’t want to give up a second round pick for Dee Forde. I think it’s safe to say we would of rather had Dee Forde then Ben Banagu. With Houston’s age we could of signed him and for Dee Forde.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites


Trenches are two of the top 3 priorities for me. 

QB, iDL, and OT (regardless of AC coming back).

 

My hope is that we re-sign AC, take a QB at 13, sign a legit DT in FA (from the below list/link, would kill for Jarret), use 34 on an OT, and 45 on a WR. If we can't get an iDL in FA, I'd trade our 34 and 45 for a mid round 1st and try to get back and take Kinlaw, try to grab an OT in FA, and use our 3R for WR.

 

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826694-an-early-look-at-the-2020-nfl-free-agent-class#slide7

1. Chris Jones, Kansas City Chiefs

2. Grady Jarrett, Atlanta Falcons

3. Michael Brockers, Los Angeles Rams

4. Leonard Williams, New York Jets

5. Jarran Reed, Seattle Seahawks

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Remember Ballard went after Houston because he didn’t want to give up a second round pick for Dee Forde. I think it’s safe to say we would of rather had Dee Forde then Ben Banagu. With Houston’s age we could of signed him and for Dee Forde.

IMO, glad we got Houston. Ford might be too much of a tweener to play in a 4-3.

Houston actually improved his stats this year (from 9 sacks to 11, and from 12 QB Hits to 18), while Ford (in moving to SF) regressed this year (from 13 to 6.5 sacks, and from 29 QB hits to 6). Still not sure why SF picked him up with Bosa, and Armstead came out of nowhere to make things even weirder for Ford. Ford has had injury issues as well while Houston has been a trooper. Don't get me wrong, would have taken both, 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:


Trenches are two of the top 3 priorities for me. 

QB, iDL, and OT (regardless of AC coming back).

 

My hope is that we re-sign AC, take a QB at 13, sign a legit DT in FA (from the below list/link, would kill for Jarret), use 34 on an OT, and 45 on a WR. If we can't get an iDL in FA, I'd trade our 34 and 45 for a mid round 1st and try to get back and take Kinlaw, try to grab an OT in FA, and use our 3R for WR.

 

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826694-an-early-look-at-the-2020-nfl-free-agent-class#slide7

1. Chris Jones, Kansas City Chiefs

2. Grady Jarrett, Atlanta Falcons

3. Michael Brockers, Los Angeles Rams

4. Leonard Williams, New York Jets

5. Jarran Reed, Seattle Seahawks

Bet my June mortgage note that Ballard will not sign any of these players.... He likes to save money

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I will bet he looks to FA for that and the draft will be a lot of offense.

I see it the other way.  I think that Ballard's going to look to augment offensive talent with FA and trades and build his defense in the draft.

 

I think we're going to see 1 early round pick for a talented WR and also expect to see some UDFA WR pickups to augment what we have.  Other than that, we'll be looking to add some muscle on the DL and some speed in the corner positions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I see it the other way.  I think that Ballard's going to look to augment offensive talent with FA and trades and build his defense in the draft.

 

I think we're going to see 1 early round pick for a talented WR and also expect to see some UDFA WR pickups to augment what we have.  Other than that, we'll be looking to add some muscle on the DL and some speed in the corner positions.

We don’t need undrafted free agents at WR. We have plenty of those. There isn’t really any studs on the market either. We only need a couple players on defense. When we need a QB and a stud WR those will be  in the draft. We can’t take  defense high when we have no QB. Now maybe we will get a DT depending on if a QB we love doesn’t fall to us. I don’t want more unproven defensive talent in the draft. We have a good foundation. It’s time to go get those couple players we need in FA to fill those defensive holes. The only offensive piece we might get in FA is a tight end. I can see a corner and DT picked up in FA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Bet my June mortgage note that Ballard will not sign any of these players.... He likes to save money

If Luck had not retired, I would disagree. Since we are farther off-"plan" than expected, I tend to agree. But I don't agree that strongly. He did sign Houston last year, and IMO overpaid Funch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely need to upgrade the DL, I think most have felt that way for a while.

 

Some of our better players like Houston, Sheard, and Autry (who didn’t have as good a year I hope for) are closer to the end than their primes. We have some decent young pieces...hopefully Turay can come back strong and Stewart showed he can draw lots of double teams, but we could really use a special young talent on the DL.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I don't think anybody can complain about out O line play anymore. Our defensive line is a comparative shambles.

 

The fact we've had to spend more resources getting the o-line sorted than anyone else in the league probably answers why the defensive front is so undermanned. Can't be strong everywhere.

That's rubbish. Ballard has spent a 1st  and 2nd rounder on the O line.  He's had 3 drafts to add to the  D line.  The Hooker pick could have been a D line man and last year he could have moved up or picked maybe Sweat who had 7 sacks this year.  Ballard gets a pass or everyone blames Grigson for the suppoosed shambles of a roster left to Ballard.  Check my posts last year.  I banged the table for Simmons even if they had to move up. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Remember Ballard went after Houston because he didn’t want to give up a second round pick for Dee Forde. I think it’s safe to say we would of rather had Dee Forde then Ben Banagu. With Houston’s age we could of signed him and for Dee Forde.

The problem with Dee Ford wasn’t just the draft pick we’d have to give to get him.    Ford signed a contract for 5/85.   Not a very Ballard-like contract.   Especially for Ford.    
 

I wouldn’t bet too much that Ballard rebuilds the DL in one off season.   Easier said than done.   I don’t think this is a great class of DL’s in the draft or free agency.   Just saying...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That's rubbish. Ballard has spent a 1st  and 2nd rounder on the O line.  He's had 3 drafts to add to the  D line.  The Hooker pick could have been a D line man and last year he could have moved up or picked maybe Sweat who had 7 sacks this year.  Ballard gets a pass or everyone blames Grigson for the suppoosed shambles of a roster left to Ballard.  Check my posts last year.  I banged the table for Simmons even if they had to move up. 

 

Yeah...he's certainly had the opportunity to build up the DL. In fact, he has drafted 4 DL players on Day Two. Injuries have been a factor...but I also think there has also been evaluation issues as well.

 

I was fully onboard with grabbing Sweat at that pick. We will see what they do with that extra 2nd rounder this year...but Sweat looks like a bonafide 10+ sack/year player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Yeah...he's certainly had the opportunity to build up the DL. In fact, he has drafted 4 DL players on Day Two. Injuries have been a factor...but I also think there has also been evaluation issues as well.

 

I was fully onboard with grabbing Sweat at that pick. We will see what they do with that extra 2nd rounder this year...but Sweat looks like a bonafide 10+ sack/year player.

Could u imagine this line??

Sweat. Allan.Kinlaw.Turay

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Yeah...he's certainly had the opportunity to build up the DL. In fact, he has drafted 4 DL players on Day Two. Injuries have been a factor...but I also think there has also been evaluation issues as well.

 

I was fully onboard with grabbing Sweat at that pick. We will see what they do with that extra 2nd rounder this year...but Sweat looks like a bonafide 10+ sack/year player.

If the medical team and the owner don’t sign off on the guy for health reasons, then the decision to draft or not draft a player would be out of Ballard’s hands. 
 

A heart issue needs owner/doctor approval.   Most teams didn’t give it.  That’s why a top-10 player like Sweat lasted to pick 26. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EastStreet said:


Trenches are two of the top 3 priorities for me. 

QB, iDL, and OT (regardless of AC coming back).

 

My hope is that we re-sign AC, take a QB at 13, sign a legit DT in FA (from the below list/link, would kill for Jarret), use 34 on an OT, and 45 on a WR. If we can't get an iDL in FA, I'd trade our 34 and 45 for a mid round 1st and try to get back and take Kinlaw, try to grab an OT in FA, and use our 3R for WR.

 

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826694-an-early-look-at-the-2020-nfl-free-agent-class#slide7

1. Chris Jones, Kansas City Chiefs

2. Grady Jarrett, Atlanta Falcons

3. Michael Brockers, Los Angeles Rams

4. Leonard Williams, New York Jets

5. Jarran Reed, Seattle Seahawks

That article is old.... Grady Jarrett is under contract.... 

 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/grady-jarrett-16863/

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the medical team and the owner don’t sign off on the guy for health reasons, then the decision to draft or not draft a player would be out of Ballard’s hands. 
 

A heart issue needs owner/doctor approval.   Most teams didn’t give it.  That’s why a top-10 player like Sweat lasted to pick 26. 

C that is the problem I have with Ballard.  He won't take a chance on guys like  Sweat or Simmons, but takes other players because they meet his so called measurebles.  

  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, glad we got Houston. Ford might be too much of a tweener to play in a 4-3.

Houston actually improved his stats this year (from 9 sacks to 11, and from 12 QB Hits to 18), while Ford (in moving to SF) regressed this year (from 13 to 6.5 sacks, and from 29 QB hits to 6). Still not sure why SF picked him up with Bosa, and Armstead came out of nowhere to make things even weirder for Ford. Ford has had injury issues as well while Houston has been a trooper. Don't get me wrong, would have taken both, 

Did he regress or is he getting less snaps with that loaded dline. I am happy with Houston. But we could of had both.  

 

Doesnt SF play a 4-3?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

it does say "an early look" lol... 

i'm surprised i missed the Jarrett mention though.

I only noticed because I wanted us to get him so badly last year.... but Atlanta wasn't letting him go anywhere... and rightfully so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did he regress or is he getting less snaps with that loaded dline. I am happy with Houston. But we could of had both.  

 

Doesnt SF play a 4-3?

Yes, they play a 4-3. He came from KC which was running a 3-4 at the time. KC switched to a 4-3 in 2019, which is likely why they unloaded Ford.

 

SF's leading sacker is Armstead (one more than Bosa), who wasn't really anything in 2018. Ford couldn't beat him out and was injured a bit too. IMO, he wasn't a good 4-3 DE fit. I could see SF trying to unload him to a 3-4 team.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I only noticed because I wanted us to get him so badly last year.... but Atlanta wasn't letting him go anywhere... and rightfully so.

I'm an *. I live in ATL, and knew GJ signed a new deal lol... Totally went over my head. I'm cooking/prepping for tomorrow, cleaning the kitchen, watching the game, and typing while having a cocktail... guess I'm getting older and should stop multitasking so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tombstone said:

Don't see Ballard wasting early draft picks on a QB after watching these playoffs that's for sure.....  

What else is he supposed to do. Not like there is another Tannehill out there. It’s time for us to get our future so we can start to compete with the KC and the Texans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What else is he supposed to do. Not like there is another Tannehill out there. It’s time for us to get our future so we can start to compete with the KC and the Texans.

It's not like Tannehill started setting the league on fire.....  Two playoff games and how much yards has he thrown for???  He doing just enough which is working just fine for the Titans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm an *. I live in ATL, and knew GJ signed a new deal lol... Totally went over my head. I'm cooking/prepping for tomorrow, cleaning the kitchen, watching the game, and typing while having a cocktail... guess I'm getting older and should stop multitasking so much.

It's all good..... here's a free agent list written today.... some very interesting names on it.... 

 

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

C that is the problem I have with Ballard.  He won't take a chance on guys like  Sweat or Simmons, but takes other players because they meet his so called measurebles.  

 

You don't seem to understand.   It's not his call.    He doesn't get the chance to make the decision.

 

As it is on almost all teams,  the owner and team doctor make the call on whether drafting someone like Sweat is acceptable.    Remember,  if Sweat has a complication with his heart while playing football,  the owner and team doctor would likely be exposed to legal problems.   In short,  they could be sued.    That's why they have veto power on the decision.    The GM is removed from the final decision process.   The player is taken off the board.    It's not even a discussion.    The decision was made days or weeks ahead of time.

 

The issue, the final decision,  is with Irsay and the team doctor,  not Chris Ballard.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid players on the D line

Turay, Houston and Sheard. But we need some true defensive tackles that can put the ball and close the middle up. Kinlaw will be a great piece to add in the draft

 I easily expect Ballard to draft 3 defensive lineman

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...