Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ideal QB Situation

BleedBlue4Shoe86

The more I have thought about it, the more I really like how Ballard and Reich are playing this QB situation.  Think about it. 

They throw support behind Brissett as QB1, because to quote Mike Chappell, "they don't have an option B on the roster right now.  They surround him with healthy talent and give him this offseason to fully understand that he is the starter going into next season and next season is his "FINAL EXAM".  My hope is obviously that he take that and run with it.  Spend the offseason working with Reich and House.  Get his WRs together for throwing sessions (Like Manning did at Duke) and team building activities( Like Carson Wentz did in North Dakota).  Work on his overall health and attempt to do what Lamar Jackson did this year, Improve his Overall Game.

On the other note, they spend the offseason seeing if there is a viable option B in the draft or via free agency/trade.  I personally don't see Ballard going the FA route. The only trade that makes any sense to me is Derek Carr.  If you can pull that off, then this is all null and void and you trade for him and then draft to improve your overall team BPA at positions of need.

So lets focus on the draft.

Situation 1

Lets say that Ballard loves a guy like Jordon Love and decides to take him at 13.  Then you let him sit for a year behind Brissett and learn how to be a pro player and how to command an NFL huddle.  Say what you will about Brissett but the guy is well respected and knows how to command a team from a leadership perspective. Learn from Reich.  Then you are looking at a QB room that would ideally be QB1- Brissett QB2- Chad Kelly QB3- Jordan Love for 2020 season with infinite possibilities for 2021.  That sounds pretty great.

Situation 2 (This is my Preference)

Lets say that Ballard just doesn't buy into a player like Love at 13 but falls head over heals for a guy like Jacob Eason or Anthony Gordon (Bias, MY GUY!!) and he knows he can get him in the second round, either at 34 or 44. So with 13 we get a guy like Henry Ruggs or Javon Kinlaw, a pick that helps the overall team also.  Then we get a QB that he likes in the 2nd round and then go and get weapons like a Jared Pinkney-TE, Chase Claypool-WR to help our new QB and JB.  Then you are looking at an overall improved team with playmakers for either JB but also for your future QB and your QB room looks like QB1- Brissett QB2- Chad Kelly QB3- Anthony Gordon/Jacob Eason for 2020.

Overall

I might be optimistic but I love these ideas.  You can shore up your team and you get a QB room that is much improved over last year.  You get a rookie you like, that, if he is the guy you think he can be, will either take the job from Brissett because he is an upgrade or, will push Brissett to reach his ceiling (which isn't for this topic but I feel he is more the first 7 games than the last 7 games).  Then you decide at the end of the year.  Did Brissett do enough to warrant an extension or do you hand the keys to your new QB going into year 2.

Gonna be a fun offseason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm inclined to think along the same lines as you.  I don't see a FA signing at QB.

To me, you use the #13 pick for the BPA, whether it be a DT or WR, because I know the top 3 or 4 QB's won't be available at #13.  AND, trading up to get a top QB is too costly, IMO.

Use the draft stock we have now, get a great player at #13, then pick a QB with one of the round 2 picks and a WR or DT with the other (whichever we don't pick in round 1).

Signing a FA quarterback is just a stopgap, because they are mostly aging veterans with just a year or two left, at best.  AND, they are also declining in talent and value.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the off season, too.

• Thanks 1

At the moment, we are led to believe Brissett is the starter in 2020. We can all agree, a lot of things are going to transpire in the coming months. 

Health has has never been a issue with Brissett, and it sounds like another one of those Brissett excuses.

Hoping Brissett can turn the corner like L. Jackson is a stretch and I don’t like the comparison used as some example. Jackson was a 1st Rd pick, and rapidly progressed year two. Brissett is the complete opposite. 

If, I’m Ballard going into year 4, I’m either signing a solid veteran and drafting a QB early or sticking with Brissett and moving up to get the best QB available.

What I’m not doing is potentially rolling into year 5 with no answer at QB, because GM’s typically get let go around year 4 or 5. And most don’t get a 2nd shot at being one. 

• Like 4

Ideal QB situation would be that anyone currently in the QB room is not there at the start of the season. One of the available FA quarterbacks is brought in, and a 1st or 2nd round pick is waiting in the wings. 

This will not happen, of course 

• Like 1

Hopefully Cee Dee Lamb is there at #13 or a good DT. 

I don't think Ballard: 

1) will part with draft picks (until later rounds if he ever does) 

2) will draft a QB in the 1st round 

3) will wait til 2nd or 3rd to draft a QB 

I don't know about ideal, but I think this is the situation:

Hoyer gets let go, Kelly takes the back up spot and draft pick sits on bench for a year while Brissett starts next year.  

• Like 1

Ideally, 

They draft a QB that Ballard likes at 13 or in the 2nd round.

Sign a FA that is better than Brissett - Rivers, Dalton, Brady etc to a 1-2 year contract.

Release JB or trade if any team would give anything for him.

Let the drafted QB sit for a year or 2 and compete with Kelly for the backup spot.  

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Guys this is not meant to discuss Jacoby and how bad you think he is.  This is meant to be optimisitic.  If you want to bash Jacoby, take it to another thread or another forum

If you want it to be optimistic then don't use JB and Colt starting QB in the same sentence.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I don't think Ballard: 

2) will draft a QB in the 1st round 

3) will wait til 2nd or 3rd to draft a QB 

Hoyer gets let go, Kelly takes the back up spot and draft pick sits on bench for a year while Brissett starts next year.  

I’d hate to be in Ballard’s shoes in that scenario, especially if the Colts missed the playoffs again in 2020. Hoping a 2nd or 3rd Rd QB is the new franchise in 2021. JMO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Guys this is not meant to discuss Jacoby and how bad you think he is.  This is meant to be optimisitic.  If you want to bash Jacoby, take it to another thread or another forum

Fair point.

My #1 optimistic prediction:

1. Luck tells Irsay and Ballard he is all in for 3 years.

2. Costanzo signs a 3 year deal (he and Luck retire together)

3. Brissett is released or traded (most likely just released)

4. Kelly and a mid round draft pick battle it out for the backup position.

5. Ballard uses 1st and 2nd round picks on DT, WR and OT (who make all-pro)

6. Ballard signs a couple of solid free agents.

My #2 optimistic prediction:

1. Luck tells Irsay and Ballard he is all in for 3 years, starting with 2021.

2. Costanzo signs a 4 year deal (he and Luck retire together)

3. Brissett, Kelly and mid round draft pick battle it out for 2020 starting job.

4. Ballard uses 1st and 2nd round picks on DT, WR and OT (who make all-pro)

5. Ballard signs a couple of solid free agents.

My #3 optimistic prediction:

1. I hit the lottery, or win the Publishers Clearing House $5000/week for life.

2. I don't care who is the 2020 Colts starting QB.

• Like 2

To me "The jury is still out" is not a ringing endorsement of a starting QB in the NFL.  Change is in the wind.  I don't like the idea of signing a free agent veteran.  Not excited at all.  It just postpones the inevitable.  If I'm Ballard I'm trying very hard to acquire Carr as our new starter assuming the Raiders are moving on.  If that fails I am drafting our new QB early either at 13 or moving up a little.  If we draft a QB that early I would play him.  He would have a very good OL and a solid running game to help him.  That's about as good as it gets for a rookie QB in the NFL and your head coach is a former QB as well.  I'm sure we would address the WR issue in FA and the draft either way.  I think we would have to move on from JB to remove all potential drama from the locker room.  So for me it's try to get Carr and if we do we are back on track.  If not get our new QB early when we have the chance and the ammo to do it and go all in with the pick and play him with a good offense already in place.  JMO.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Myles said:

Ideally, 

Sign a FA that is better than Brissett - Rivers, Dalton, Brady etc to a 1-2 year contract.

Let the drafted QB sit for a year or 2 and compete with Kelly for the backup spot.  

This is the correct opinion. :thmup:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

To me "The jury is still out" is not a ringing endorsement of a starting QB in the NFL.  Change is in the wind.  I don't like the idea of signing a free agent veteran.  Not excited at all.  It just postpones the inevitable.  If I'm Ballard I'm trying very hard to acquire Carr as our new starter assuming the Raiders are moving on.  If that fails I am drafting our new QB early either at 13 or moving up a little.  If we draft a QB that early I would play him.  He would have a very good OL and a solid running game to help him.  That's about as good as it gets for a rookie QB in the NFL and your head coach is a former QB as well.  I'm sure we would address the WR issue in FA and the draft either way.  I think we would have to move on from JB to remove all potential drama from the locker room.  So for me it's try to get Carr and if we do we are back on track.  If not get our new QB early when we have the chance and the ammo to do it and go all in with the pick and play him with a good offense already in place.  JMO.  

I believe that Ballard also said something about "that's why we structured the contract the way we did", which I think was referring to an ability to move on from JB at any time.  

Maybe he simply meant after next season, 

19 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

yeah not sure why they laughed at my comment

they make a thread every day trying to find praise for jacoby, and usually get none.  now they try to say dont respond if you we dont agree lol

Yep, at this point the only way Jacoby can make me praise him is to have an elite year in 2020, and I probably wouldn't even want to watch to find out. That's how much of a sour taste he's left in my mouth.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Myles said:

Ideally, 

Sign Eli Manning.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

That would be interesting with this O-line.

I don’t think he played as bad in 2018, like a lot say. 

However, the Giants absolutely took the right approach in getting his replacement. The Colts are in a similar situation.

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

They throw support behind Brissett as QB1

Ballard's exact reply when asked if Brissett is the starter going into 2020:

Ummmmmm.......   well..............

I'll say this.  Right now, yes.  Right now, yes, Jacoby is our starting QB.

Throwing support behind Brissett?  I must have watched a different press conference.  Whatever support there might have been was as lukewarm as it gets.

• Like 1

QB situations:

1. We get our quality long-term franchise QB who will help us compete(via FA or trade). I almost never talk about about this situation because I don't really believe it's realistic to expect. High end franchise QBs don't enter FA and they very rarely become available for trade. Here's a funky one... lets say the Browns decide to Brown again and give up on Baker. Do you even go there? I like Baker as a QB and I think he will be excellent with our line and our coaching. His attitude/character issues are a concern though... so... what say you? 

Anyways - I think this situation is unrealistic and in most threads I absolutely ignore it, but for the sake of argument and for the sake of putting out a fun hypothetical I decided to post it here.

2. We get extremely short term upgrade on Brissett in FA by one of the vets QBs hitting FA. I am not here to argue specific name, so pick your favorite here - Brady/Rivers/Dalton/etc. whoever you like. We also draft our future QB in the draft. Again, not going to entertain names - whoever Ballard likes best. This one gives us short-term upgrade and still puts in place the plan for the long-term succession at the position. To me this is somewhat realistic, but honestly I don't expect it to happen. I think Ballard would rather just stick with Brissett for next year and draft a QB for the long-term(situations 3).

3. Ballard sticks with Brissett and drafts his successor high in the draft. Again - no names, pick your favorite/Ballard's favorite. This to me is the most realistic one and the most likely one to happen and I would be happy with it, with one slight disclaimer - I still want them to try to make the guy ready for game 1 of the 2020 season. 

4. Ballard sticks with Brissett and either takes a shot at a QB late in the draft or doesn't pick a QB. This to me is less than ideal. I want us to have our QB of the future in the building as soon as possible so we can start making him ready to start for the team. I don't believe you can rely on late shots in the draft to pan out into something. This one would be a brow raiser and would raise some questions about how Ballard sees the QB position. 

5. Ballard not only sticks with Brissett but offers him an extension. To me this is a disaster scenario. This to me would signify that they truly believe they can win consistently with this type of QB play or they think Brissett can improve on things he hasn't improved on in the last 5 years while being coached by Bill Belichick and Frank Reich and learning from Tom Brady and Andrew Luck. This is when I will start losing confidence in Ballard.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

QB situations:

1. We get our quality long-term franchise QB who will help us compete(via FA or trade). I almost never talk about about this situation because I don't really believe it's realistic to expect. High end franchise QBs don't enter FA and they very rarely become available for trade. Here's a funky one... lets say the Browns decide to Brown again and give up on Baker. Do you even go there? I like Baker as a QB and I think he will be excellent with our line and our coaching. His attitude/character issues are a concern though... so... what say you? 

Anyways - I think this situation is unrealistic and in most threads I absolutely ignore it, but for the sake of argument and for the sake of putting out a fun hypothetical I decided to post it here.

2. We get extremely short term upgrade on Brissett in FA by one of the vets QBs hitting FA. I am not here to argue specific name, so pick your favorite here - Brady/Rivers/Dalton/etc. whoever you like. We also draft our future QB in the draft. Again, not going to entertain names - whoever Ballard likes best. This one gives us short-term upgrade and still puts in place the plan for the long-term succession at the position. To me this is somewhat realistic, but honestly I don't expect it to happen. I think Ballard would rather just stick with Brissett for next year and draft a QB for the long-term(situations 3).

3. Ballard sticks with Brissett and drafts his successor high in the draft. Again - no names, pick your favorite/Ballard's favorite. This to me is the most realistic one and the most likely one to happen and I would be happy with it, with one slight disclaimer - I still want them to try to make the guy ready for game 1 of the 2020 season. 

4. Ballard sticks with Brissett and either takes a shot at a QB late in the draft or doesn't pick a QB. This to me is less than ideal. I want us to have our QB of the future in the building as soon as possible so we can start making him ready to start for the team. I don't believe you can rely on late shots in the draft to pan out into something. This one would be a brow raiser and would raise some questions about how Ballard sees the QB position. 

5. Ballard not only sticks with Brissett but offers him an extension. To me this is a disaster scenario. This to me would signify that they truly believe they can win consistently with this type of QB play or they think Brissett can improve on things he hasn't improved on in the last 5 years while being coached by Bill Belichick and Frank Reich and learning from Tom Brady and Andrew Luck. This is when I will start losing confidence in Ballard.  

So 2 things. I live your post. That is what I was trying to state in mine also. 

1. What do you think of Derek Carr. That is the one veteran QB option I like. 

2. What do you consider late in the draft. I really like taking a QB with the 34th or 44th pick. Is second round to late in your opinion?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, #12. said:

Ballard's exact reply when asked if Brissett is the starter going into 2020:

Ummmmmm.......   well..............

I'll say this.  Right now, yes.  Right now, yes, Jacoby is our starting QB.

Throwing support behind Brissett?  I must have watched a different press conference.  Whatever support there might have been was as lukewarm as it gets.

It was more like... [full quote]

Ummmm.... well.... I mean... 

I thought Andrew was going to be our starting QB last year going in, last season. 

I'll say this.  Right now, yes.  Jacoby is our starting QB.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ideal situation?

Luck comes back

Peyton Manning announces he’s found something that will make his body 20 years younger and he is coming back to the Colts.

The Colts sign Brady.

All for vet minimums of course!

Granted I had two beers at lunch but that’s more along the lines of what I was thinking when I saw the topic.   Dan Marino finds the fountain of youth and signs with Indy.   

20 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So 2 things. I live your post. That is what I was trying to state in mine also. 

1. What do you think of Derek Carr. That is the one veteran QB option I like. 

2. What do you consider late in the draft. I really like taking a QB with the 34th or 44th pick. Is second round to late in your opinion?

I don't consider Carr one of those long-term high end starters, so no. I think he's extremely average while commanding a very high salary and this is one of the situations we have to avoid - paying a ton for average QB play. You have to really be in 2 situations - you either have to pay little for average to great QB play(rookie scale QB), or you have to pay a ton for great QB play(franchise QBs on non-rookie contracts). This way you get a bit of a margin of error to construct the rest of the roster. Great QB play gives you margin of error elsewhere, and low QB salary gives you margin of error/additional resources to strengthen the roster elsewhere. Carr gives you none of those. 

On your second question - to me anything past R2 is taking a wild shot that doesn't really have high success rate historically. Just the best prospect don't usually fall that far. There of course are exceptions, but they are few and far between and the huge majority of the ones drafted R3 or day 3 don't amount to anything more than backups. That's why I said, even if he drafts one late, it doesn't mean much because you cannot rely on that QB panning out... huge majority of those don't. 

3 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

The more I have thought about it, the more I really like how Ballard and Reich are playing this QB situation.  Think about it. 

They throw support behind Brissett as QB1, because to quote Mike Chappell, "they don't have an option B on the roster right now.  They surround him with healthy talent and give him this offseason to fully understand that he is the starter going into next season and next season is his "FINAL EXAM".  My hope is obviously that he take that and run with it.  Spend the offseason working with Reich and House.  Get his WRs together for throwing sessions (Like Manning did at Duke) and team building activities( Like Carson Wentz did in North Dakota).  Work on his overall health and attempt to do what Lamar Jackson did this year, Improve his Overall Game.

On the other note, they spend the offseason seeing if there is a viable option B in the draft or via free agency/trade.  I personally don't see Ballard going the FA route. The only trade that makes any sense to me is Derek Carr.  If you can pull that off, then this is all null and void and you trade for him and then draft to improve your overall team BPA at positions of need.

So lets focus on the draft.

Situation 1

Lets say that Ballard loves a guy like Jordon Love and decides to take him at 13.  Then you let him sit for a year behind Brissett and learn how to be a pro player and how to command an NFL huddle.  Say what you will about Brissett but the guy is well respected and knows how to command a team from a leadership perspective. Learn from Reich.  Then you are looking at a QB room that would ideally be QB1- Brissett QB2- Chad Kelly QB3- Jordan Love for 2020 season with infinite possibilities for 2021.  That sounds pretty great.

Situation 2 (This is my Preference)

Lets say that Ballard just doesn't buy into a player like Love at 13 but falls head over heals for a guy like Jacob Eason or Anthony Gordon (Bias, MY GUY!!) and he knows he can get him in the second round, either at 34 or 44. So with 13 we get a guy like Henry Ruggs or Javon Kinlaw, a pick that helps the overall team also.  Then we get a QB that he likes in the 2nd round and then go and get weapons like a Jared Pinkney-TE, Chase Claypool-WR to help our new QB and JB.  Then you are looking at an overall improved team with playmakers for either JB but also for your future QB and your QB room looks like QB1- Brissett QB2- Chad Kelly QB3- Anthony Gordon/Jacob Eason for 2020.

Overall

I might be optimistic but I love these ideas.  You can shore up your team and you get a QB room that is much improved over last year.  You get a rookie you like, that, if he is the guy you think he can be, will either take the job from Brissett because he is an upgrade or, will push Brissett to reach his ceiling (which isn't for this topic but I feel he is more the first 7 games than the last 7 games).  Then you decide at the end of the year.  Did Brissett do enough to warrant an extension or do you hand the keys to your new QB going into year 2.

Gonna be a fun offseason.

Great points and I like option 2 as well, only because I think as QB# 4, Love will go before we pick

There are 4 teams in need of a QB in front of us.......  I cant see Cincy, Miami, Carolina or LAC passing on a QB.... it just lines up

In drills and actions at the combine, I am sure Love will do very well

After supporting JB initially, I see a career backup at best.

To me,....... you need a backup that you are developing to be a future starter, or someone you can trade for picks later 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Plus, I think a lot of this is going to depend on what AC does at LT. If he retires, we are in a world of hurt.

Absolutely agree.  Just knowing AC's considering retirement should impact the FO's strategy to some extent, but if he decides to retire then it'll be a major impact to their strategy towards both FA and the draft.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stitches said:

It was more like... [full quote]

The point - an immediate yes didn't come off his tongue.  He was referencing Luck, buying time, formulating an answer.  I doubt he feels Brissett is also a threat to retire.

Right now, Jacoby is our QB - I wouldn't characterize that as throwing support behind Brissett.

21 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

There are 4 teams in need of a QB in front of us.......  I cant see Cincy, Miami, Carolina or LAC passing on a QB.... it just lines up

Do Miami, Carolina and LAC like any of the other guys? Maybe they like Tua but are scared off by the injury concerns. It's possible Miami uses their 3 first rounders to draft studs at other positions, and then look at QB in 2021, when the new QB will be better set up for success.

Cincy = Burrow.

Carolina - I assume there are similar QB threads going on in the Panthers forum, with Cam under contract through 2020, and uncertainty about his health.

What will Wash, Detroit and NY do? It's going to be a very interesting lead up to the draft.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

The point - an immediate yes didn't come off his tongue.  He was referencing Luck, buying time, formulating an answer.  I doubt he feels Brissett is also a threat to retire.

Right now, Jacoby is our QB - I wouldn't characterize that as throwing support behind Brissett.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who "right now, he is our ____" who in 2020 won't be our _____.