Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DJ Reader going to test market

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He isn’t a sack guy though. So I don’t think he would solve the issue there. But a good run stuffer.

I believe the main reason he isn't a sack guy is because he's a big NT playing in a 3-4.  He's something like 340 pounds.  Playing in a 4-3 would probably give him more opportunities.  I don't see Chris Jones getting free so he would be a great addition if the Texans let him hit the market.  Ballard takes a starter away from the enemy in a huge position of need.  Love it.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He isn’t a sack guy though. So I don’t think he would solve the issue there. But a good run stuffer.

Yes, let's sign that one guy that solves the issue.
 And no, he isn't a good run stuffer.
  He is one of the best in the league.
  He would be a serious upgrade to Grover.

1 minute ago, waittilnextyear said:

Yes, let's sign that one guy that solves the issue.
 And no, he isn't a good run stuffer.
  He is one of the best in the league.
  He would be a serious upgrade to Grover.

Don't recall us having many issues against the run.  Reader doesn't and wouldn't get sacks if he came here, which is what we need in the passing game.  Just like Ballard said we need to improve our 3 Tech position. Ballard in his presser however did seem to show some misgivings about letting Al Woods go.  Woods was able to push the pocket and stuff the run collectively.   We probably should have kept him versus Margus Hunt, but I'm sure Ballard took in to account those 5 sacks Hunt had last year which unfortunately did not translate to this year.  If we did pick up reader I don't think it would be to upgrade or move on from Grover.  They would play in the rotation together. Reader could replace Margus Hunt who is probably likely on the way out the door.

• Like 1

I’d definitely get in on that. Sure, he doesn’t get a lot of sacks, but he does get a fair amount of pressure in a scheme not set up to get the NT to the QB. Also, he’s just 25 and still has time to develop. Add to this that, as mentioned above, he is one of the best run stuffers in the league, and he’ll be pretty good IMO. He doesn’t have to play the 3-tech, but there is another DT position in the 4-3 and he fits that role perfectly

• Like 1

I quite like Grover tbh. He has developed into a solid NT.

I'd prefer to draft an NT in the mid rounds for competition/rotation with Grover. Or go the vet route like we did with Al Woods.

I think Reader will cost about $10m/year. I'd prefer to use that money on a WR, DT, DE or TE.

I wouldn't mind Reader, but this team needs a 3 Tech more so than a NT. We need a Fletcher Cox/Chris Jones type of DT. 

Would love to add Derrick Brown in the draft or possibly Arik Armstead if he becomes available. Chris Jones is more of a long shot to reach free agency.