Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OhioColt's 2 Round Mock analysis

To recap 2019, for the most part, the explosive plays the Colts gave up this season happened through the air.  As a rookie cornerback Rock Ya-Sin finished the year on a high note.  Malik Hooker tailed off costing the Colts dearly.  Nickel back Kenny Moore was having a career year before his injury.  The Colts are built with a defensive mindset to take the ball away.  So far only Kenny Moore and Darius Leonard are the two key contributors to taking away the ball. No secret that the Colts are in desperate need to upgrade their 3-technique DTs.  Justin Houston continues to impress me and play at a high level for his age.

Right now everyone keeps talking about needing a Quarterback and the future of Jacoby along with a potential immediate need of a LT if Castonzo retires.  Hopefully we can get some stop-gaps to fill those needs in FA or get some assurances in house so won’t be looking to draft those positions in the first two rounds.

We obviously need to upgrade our DTs and DBs so in Round 1 depending on how QB heavy the draft goes am hoping either Okudah or Brown falls to us at 13 but will take Henderson.  Henderson is a young lockdown corner that was used heavily as a blitzer in college and late down edge pressures.  He is very physical and has hands for INTs.

Round 1) CB Jeffrey Okudah / DT Derrick Brown (Auburn) / LCB CJ Henderson (Florida)

Round 2a) DT Neville Gallimore 3T guy that the Colts need who has a history of forcing a fumble or two, capable of sacking QBs and even been credited with PBU.  Another player I like here to replace Jabaal Sheard is DE Bradlee Anae.  Anae is extremely fast off the line of scrimmage, has a full pass-rushing toolbox skillset, and PFF graded him with a 90.0 pass-rush grade in 2019.

I have always been on the fence with Hooker coming out of college and his injury history.  Seems Hooker has been regressing in his game and I think it is time to bring in some competition.  With our second pick in Round 2 I would target FS/LB Hamsah Nasirildeen (FSU).  PFF graded him over 80.0 in both run and coverage defenses in 2019.  Nasirildeen did recently tear his ACL so he should have the normal 6-9 months recovery.  From his highlights did like the way he can create turnovers with arm punches and has the speed to blitz.  Always good to have capable backs that can tackle. 

Option B here would be CB Jeff Gladney (TCU).  The Colts played a lot of Man last year and would benefit from adding another player that excels in Man coverage.  Gladney is a willing tackler vs RB/TEs with very good footwork and hips in coverage.  Displays good closing quickness and ball skills.  Does need to watch the grabby hands but that happens when you are better in Man cover skills just like Rock-Ya was this past season.

58 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

I have always been on the fence with Hooker coming out of college and his injury history.  Seems Hooker has been regressing in his game and I think it is time to bring in some competition.  With our second pick in Round 2 I would target FS/LB Hamsah Nasirildeen (FSU).  PFF graded him over 80.0 in both run and coverage defenses in 2019.  Nasirildeen did recently tear his ACL so he should have the normal 6-9 months recovery.  From his highlights did like the way he can create turnovers with arm punches and has the speed to blitz.  Always good to have capable backs that can tackle. 

This seems odd to me. You didn't like the Hooker pick because of his injurys, but you would be willing to give up a 2nd on a guy that actually has a torn ACL? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

This seems odd to me. You didn't like the Hooker pick because of his injurys, but you would be willing to give up a 2nd on a guy that actually has a torn ACL? 

At this point it is difficult to say what say what anyone’s health will be.  Call me cynical but I would had preferred we kept Antoine Bethea as our FS years ago. 

Hooker’s regression this year is one of the reasons why our our Colts were suspect to aerial attacks and recommend we look at a replacement or at least have an open competition for next years starter.  Hooker will be a UDF in 2022.

I agree that he hasn't lived up to his expectations so far. But i think we have bigger needs on D and O than FS. Next year's draft i agree, but this year i think we should not draft a safety that high.

But we are all armchair gm's, so we can speculate and shout out our opinions as long as we want (it's fun, i love it, too) .  The frontoffice has a lot more insight on draft prospects and they will do their best to lead this franchise to another Lombardi:thmup:

With the first pick we could use Brown, but he'll be way gone before then. We could use Lamb or Jeudy, but both will be projected to be gone. Who I REALLY want is OLB Simmons from Clemson, but he might go in the top 10 as well. That said, give me the top OT left for the first round. Thomas from UGA if he's there.

In round two we should have a great choice of a very good DT or someone like Ruggs at WR.  I'd take Ruggs if he falls.. Ruggs might be gone, but we can still get both a great DT and WR with our two 2nd round picks..

22 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

A lot of things to go over here so I’ll just do a list

1. No way Okudah falls to 13

2. Gallimore is a 1-T not a 3T

3. Hamsah did not tear his ACL. It was an unspecified injury and he’s returning to school.

Agreed.

I will say that Gillimore is one of my favorite DT prospects in this draft.

• Like 1

Assuming we do not trade any of our picks or pick up a F. Agent QB, I will still roll with:

#13 Jordan Love QB

#34 Neville Gallimore DT

#44 Gandy-Golden WR

-That would fill 3 crucial needs and all 3 of those guys are capable of being good IMO. All 3 are crapshoot picks but then again these guys may turn out and be good? The Draft is a crapshoot anyway :thmup: