Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't think Love will last until 13

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

My favorite part of that is the part about how fast he makes decisions. Jacoby is so slow.  There have been people saying he does not go through his reads but that article clearly says he does and does it fast.

6 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Amount of QBs drafted in round 1 since 2012:

12' -4

13'- 1 (WORST QB class ever btw)

14'- 3

15'- 2

16'- 3

17'- 3

18'- 5

19'- 3

The average would seem to indicate 3 QBs. I get that QBs are king, but I feel like every year we overreact about a bunch of QBs going early. It's not out of the question, but I'm not counting on it.

To be fair, 2013 was one of the worst draft classes ever in general for all positions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My favorite part of that is the part about how fast he makes decisions. Jacoby is so slow.  There have been people saying he does not go through his reads but that article clearly says he does and does it fast.

I've read many reviews, scouting reports and draft analysis on Love and I think all of them mentioned his biggest flaw is being a 1 read or 2 read QB.  

20 hours ago, stitches said:

I agree the D was not great the last 4-5 games(they actually were pretty good until that meltdown in the Tennessee game), I disagree that it was horrendous, though. I think people underestimate how good they were the first half of the season. We do need some game changers at 3T or EDGE(hopefully Kemoko can stay healthy). The DBs are inconsistent and we don't really have a surefire CB1, but Rock had a relatively good promising rookie season for the responsibility he was given off the jump. Tell showed some promise too... Willis surprised me with how ready and solid he was. I wouldn't mind reinforcing that unit, but IMO the problem of that unit right now is more that it's young than it's bad. BTW if anything IMO the last month or so of the season, it was the vets that didn't perform as well as they had to, rather than the youngsters. The vets on the DLine couldn't create pressure to save their lives, Malik had possibly the worst month of his career, Kenny got injured and didn't play... 

May be last 4 ~ 5 games when offense cant move and get 1st down and D spending most of the time on field can translate the regression or do they actually suck???

About Love and reading defenses:

I'm not sure how it is measured.  What I see is that he throws the ball quickly to the first receiver he looks at a lot.  I don't know if that is a problem because A) The receiver is open. B) Its a favorite receiver that he thinks can win a contested catch.

Why bother looking to the second read?  Its not a problem not to.

And, I think mobile QBs probably have less patience to sit in the pocket and wait to go through too many reads, so they run for yardage (because they have the ability to do so) or..... simply extend the play and it breaks down and the receivers are now moving with the QB or simply trying to lose the DB in an open part of the zone.  The presnap reads are gone.

So I would want more information.  Evidence of Love sitting back there going through progressions in a well protected pocket, trying to find the "most open" receiver.  Maybe that's what the analysts are seeing.  Its not clear to me that's what they see.

• Like 2

If there is a QB he is absolutely in love with I think he has to do everything he can to try and get that guy. No messing around with drafting someone in the third round just to give Jacoby competition. That is just going to set this Franchise way back.

I think they actually wanted to hang on to Kelly in case they didn’t get one in the draft. If they aren’t able to get one in the draft I think there will be completion between Jacoby and Kelly.  Nothing else makes sense as to why they kept him on the roster and paid him that much money. 

The one thing about him is that he is going to have to go to a team that will sit him for a year, I do not believe he can be plugged in as a day 1 starter This may help out and push him away from teams who are going to need a day 1 starter like the Chargers and Miami. 

22 minutes ago, twfish said:

The one thing about him is that he is going to have to go to a team that will sit him for a year, I do not believe he can be plugged in as a day 1 starter This may help out and push him away from teams who are going to need a day 1 starter like the Chargers and Miami. 

Chargers could bring rivers back and sit a rookie behind him. With Rivers age I imagine he will be on one or two year deal if they bring him back. Miami has Rosen and could bring Fitzpatrick back for a year also.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Chargers could bring rivers back and sit a rookie behind him. With Rivers age I imagine he will be on one or two year deal if they bring him back. Miami has Rosen and could bring Fitzpatrick back for a year also.

I wonder what it would take for Miami to part with Rosen.   I'm not high on the guy, but I'm not ready to throw him on the scrap heap either.   He was considered the best QB in the draft at one time and it's only been 2 years on 2 bad teams.   Surely he has been humbled a bit.

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wonder what it would take for Miami to part with Rosen.   I'm not high on the guy, but I'm not ready to throw him on the scrap heap either.   He was considered the best QB in the draft at one time and it's only been 2 years on 2 bad teams.   Surely he has been humbled a bit.

Wait until sometime between the new league year and June 1st when they cut him. However, the rumblings about him in the locker room, and his entitled personality makes me pretty comfortable to believe he's not a Ballard type of guy. I've personally never been a fan nor impressed with him while he was at UCLA.

• Like 1

This is just a rumor I saw on facebook. So take it for what it is. This person was right about Leonard and how much ballard loved him. They swear he has a inside source. They said that the colts are pretty sold on Jacob Eason at 13 and they would be comfortable trading down a few spots and taking him at 17-20 because they think he will still be there. First of all the combine hasn’t happened and the senior bowl hasn’t happened. I doubt ant decision has been made lol. Eason will not be at the senior bowl. 

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is just a rumor I saw on facebook. So take it for what it is. This person was right about Leonard and how much ballard loved him. They swear he has a inside source. They said that the colts are pretty sold on Jacob Eason at 13 and they would be comfortable trading down a few spots and taking him at 17-20 because they think he will still be there. First of all the combine hasn’t happened and the senior bowl hasn’t happened. I doubt ant decision has been made lol. Eason will not be at the senior bowl. 

First,  could you send a link to this rumor?

Second, I wouldn't hate it.  I do like Eason and feel that with a year under JB and with Reich.  He could develop into a heck of a QB.  Lets also not forget that I am sure, if we draft a QB, he will get time with Tom House also, just like JB does.

Also, I would say that in regards to Love being there at 13, I have played with The Draft Network Mock Draft Simulator alot and he is always there at 13, but if you pass on him, he does not make it to our 2nd round pick.  Just saying.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Wait until sometime between the new league year and June 1st when they cut him. However, the rumblings about him in the locker room, and his entitled personality makes me pretty comfortable to believe he's not a Ballard type of guy. I've personally never been a fan nor impressed with him while he was at UCLA.

I've never cared for him much either.   I was mostly hoping that he had been humbled and has turned a corner.  

9 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

First,  could you send a link to this rumor?

Second, I wouldn't hate it.  I do like Eason and feel that with a year under JB and with Reich.  He could develop into a heck of a QB.  Lets also not forget that I am sure, if we draft a QB, he will get time with Tom House also, just like JB does.

Also, I would say that in regards to Love being there at 13, I have played with The Draft Network Mock Draft Simulator alot and he is always there at 13, but if you pass on him, he does not make it to our 2nd round pick.  Just saying.

It’s on a closed colts Facebook page. Let me see if I can copy and paste it.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is what the rumor said about Eason.

Ok my inside sources are telling me the colts will make this pick at 13 and feel if they can drop back to 17-20 he should still be on the board to grab the QB Ballard loves.

Does it sound like the guy could actually know what he is talking about?  Or is he just another person like the rest of us saying things we WANT, not thing we Know. lol

22 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Does it sound like the guy could actually know what he is talking about?  Or is he just another person like the rest of us saying things we WANT, not thing we Know. lol

People are calling him out and laughing at him and he is defending himself. So who knows. There is no way they have decided before the senior bowl and combine. Maybe they feel he is the only one to still be there. 

I will say this. If the colts are really serious about any of the QB I think your going to see them stay far away and make it look like they aren’t interested. There are a lot of ways to get information.

Eason would fit Tampa’s defense really well so I don’t think waiting if he really is the guy is smart.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is what the rumor said about Eason.

Ok my inside sources are telling me the colts will make this pick at 13 and feel if they can drop back to 17-20 he should still be on the board to grab the QB Ballard loves.

Taking a chance on the most important position on the team by dropping back 4- 7 picks is really throwing the dice in this QB hungry league.   He traded up last year to get Willis because he thought he was the last starting safety available.  I think if there is a QB they really love they will take him at 13 if not sooner.  

• Like 2

That guy is still defending himself. Here is something else he said in response to a comment.

as I have posted in another reply here. I posted before the 2018 draft that Ballard had his eye on a lb from a small school he thought had the talent level of a Ray Lewis and people destroyed the post saying I was an *. 53 turned out to be exactly what Ballard thought he would be. If I was the one making that prediction I would be making a much larger check then I currently do lol

9 hours ago, twfish said:

Many people made the comp to the two early on when he got drafted and didn't know if you were one of those people and didn't like Mayfield so sorry for the confusion on that part.

No worries.  That being said I can't stand either Manziel and Mayfield in terms of personality

On 1/8/2020 at 6:34 AM, twfish said:

QB's dominate the draft every single year and I'm not sure why we think this year is going to be any different. Daniel Jones who IMHO is less of a prospect went 6 overall. A similar prospect in Josh Allen went 7 overall. He will likely do very well in his pro day and during the combine. He is the most talented QB in the draft, not to take away from the Burrow, Tua and Herbert but none of them match him Athletically IMHO. Worse yet there are plenty of teams out there this year needing a QB and plenty right ahead of us. Cincy, maybe Detroit, Miami, for now L.A, I wouldn't rule out Carolina, and possibly Oakland. Thats 6 Candidates before us looking at 4 prospects. I don't like those odds. I myself am just as guilty since during my mock i had us taking him in the 20's. Thankfully there are some decent options a Free Agents QBs this year and I am hoping L.A picks up Brady and then would be open to trading IF Love is our QB. I am going to start studying his tape a ton more but looking at stats if he would have been in the draft last year i think he's looked at to be the second QB taken in the draft. 

Twfish.....

Before something gets lost in translation here,  I want to say right up front....     This is a really, really good post.

When I woke up yesterday,  and saw the title of the post,  I confess I was prepared NOT to like it.   Expected to disagree with the post.    And yet,  the more I read,  the more I liked it.   Not that I'm necessarily agreeing with it....    but you've laid out a very interesting, thoughtful and compelling argument.    And I value that around here.   A job really well done.   Honestly.

I hope you're wrong.   If Love is the guy that Ballard loves most,  then I hope he falls to us,  whether it's pick 13 or 34 or 44.    I hope Ballard gets his man.    

At the moment, mid-January,  I don't think there's enough info out publicly to know how Love is thought of?    Not sure he's that highly thought of.    Not convinced yet that he's not viewed by most teams as a 2nd rounder.     But I think we'll have a better idea by late-April.   Maybe sooner.   But this early in the draft process,  I think it's too soon to know.   But clearly,  our community will keep an eye out for all info concerning not only Love,  but all other QB's possibly connected to the Colts.

Again....    great job!   First class post!   Bravo!        :hat:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Twfish.....

Before something gets lost in translation here,  I want to say right up front....     This is a really, really good post.

When I woke up yesterday,  and saw the title of the post,  I confess I was prepared NOT to like it.   Expected to disagree with the post.    And yet,  the more I read,  the more I liked it.   Not that I'm necessarily agreeing with it....    but you've laid out a very interesting, thoughtful and compelling argument.    And I value that around here.   A job really well done.   Honestly.

I hope you're wrong.   If Love is the guy that Ballard loves most,  then I hope he falls to us,  whether it's pick 13 or 34 or 44.    I hope Ballard gets his man.    

At the moment, mid-January,  I don't think there's enough info out publicly to know how Love is thought of?    Not sure he's that highly thought of.    Not convinced yet that he's not viewed by most teams as a 2nd rounder.     But I think we'll have a better idea by late-April.   Maybe sooner.   But this early in the draft process,  I think it's too soon to know.   But clearly,  our community will keep an eye out for all info concerning not only Love,  but all other QB's possibly connected to the Colts.

Again....    great job!   First class post!   Bravo!        :hat:

I do appreciate that, I have held your opinion is high regards for several years now. Especially when it comes to this time of year when we start talking prospects.

The more and more mocks that come out have him going higher and higher, I have even seen one where Miami took him. While usually mocks dont mean much and can seriously miss on prospects, however alot of times where there is smoke there is fire. 

My dream scenario is that he drops to 34 and we pick up a top tier DT or tackle and with out 40 ish pick we take a big bodied WR. However for now all we can do is dream of being a GM and make mock drafts lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I do appreciate that, I have held your opinion is high regards for several years now. Especially when it comes to this time of year when we start talking prospects.

The more and more mocks that come out have him going higher and higher, I have even seen one where Miami took him. While usually mocks dont mean much and can seriously miss on prospects, however alot of times where there is smoke there is fire. 

My dream scenario is that he drops to 34 and we pick up a top tier DT or tackle and with out 40 ish pick we take a big bodied WR. However for now all we can do is dream of being a GM and make mock drafts lol.

For what it’s worth...  Your dream scenario also happens to be my dream scenario too.   DT,  QB,  WR.     But the way things shake out,   If we get these three in most any order,  I’ll be happy.  I’d even love a WR in R1 this year.  The guys are just so crazy good. 

As for the kind words....   many thanks. Very much appreciated.   Been a very tough year.   Any small kindness is welcome.  

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 7:07 PM, Chloe6124 said:

The consensus top three? By who. Ballard might have Love ahead of Herbert.  Teams can have the QB ranked different then the public or fans. Now if he loves Anthony Gordon that would be dumb to take him at 13. But out of the top five teams will have them rated different.

I’m talking specifically about the NFL draft analyst. I’m sure Ballard has his own list. I like Love just not enough to draft him at 13 with so many good blue chip prospects available. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth...  Your dream scenario also happens to be my dream scenario too.   DT,  QB,  WR.     But the way things shake out,   If we get these three in most any order,  I’ll be happy.  I’d even love a WR in R1 this year.  The guys are just so crazy good. 

Pretty consistently, my draft order is QB, DT, WR (usually Love, Gallimore, and Tyler Johnson). I'm excited for the shear depth in the WR class this year. Hopefully we take advantage of it to get us a future WR1 (or at the very least a consistent WR2).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As for the kind words....   many thanks. Very much appreciated.   Been a very tough year.   Any small kindness is welcome.  

To the bolded I understand, this forum has been a way for me to escape reality during some very dark times in my life and most on here are very supportive of anything personal going on. Do not ever be afraid to send a message. I am always all ears and have been through alot of things so you're not alone man.

Back to some football do you think there is a good chance WR's plummet like they did last year with A. the position being devalued, and B. how much depth there is in this draft? Last year we expected D.K, A.J, Marquise Brown, Hakeem Butler and N'Keal Harry all being mocked in the first round And only 2 being selected. I'm not expecting Jeudy to fall neither CeeDee, but guys like Ruggs and Higgins i can see taking a slide. 

1 hour ago, twfish said:

To the bolded I understand, this forum has been a way for me to escape reality during some very dark times in my life and most on here are very supportive of anything personal going on. Do not ever be afraid to send a message. I am always all ears and have been through alot of things so you're not alone man.

Back to some football do you think there is a good chance WR's plummet like they did last year with A. the position being devalued, and B. how much depth there is in this draft? Last year we expected D.K, A.J, Marquise Brown, Hakeem Butler and N'Keal Harry all being mocked in the first round And only 2 being selected. I'm not expecting Jeudy to fall neither CeeDee, but guys like Ruggs and Higgins i can see taking a slide. 

I saw that because of the deep class at WR Ruggs actually has a second round grade.

5 hours ago, twfish said:

Thank you for the great offer....   I’ll tuck it away....   But it’s classy of you to reach out.   And very much appreciated. 

As for the draft...   I’ll offer this thought while admitting it’s still early and evaluations can and will change..,,   I’d say this....   other than the historically great WR class,  I don’t think there’s another position that I’d rank higher than “above average.”    I don’t think there’s another group that I’d call “good” or “very good” or “excellent” or “great.”   Just WR. 

Will that change?   Maybe.   Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.  But, Ballard is a guy who is confident that his team of scouts can find talent deep into any draft even though I believe they have the smallest Big Board to draft from.   I think Ballard talks about roughly 100-125 draftable players in any given year.   That always stuns me when he says that.   Hard to get my head around such a small board.   Most teams boards I think are roughly twice that.

Am I misremembering the number?  Has it been bigger?   150?   175?   I don’t recall that?

But between injuries, the dreaded lack of character or the always hard to judge lack of proper scheme fit, I believe Ballard and the Colts annually have the smallest board to choose from.   So I’ll be curious how big this years is?   I think the falloff is pretty good somewhere after R4.   

Believe me....   I hope I’m wrong. 

PS — as to the WR class you asked about....   Mel has 16 guys with grades for R1 and R2.   8 and 8.   And Todd has 15.   I suspect Daniel Jeremiah will too. Amazing.  But it typically takes 3 rounds, or more,  for teams to draft that many WRs.   So do I think some really good guys might slip to R3 and R4 — yes.   And then there are said to be a good number of guys who might go in R5 and 6.   Like everyone has been saying, crazy good class.   But I don’t see any of the biggest names sliding out of the first.  Maybe to the middle or bottom of the first, but I think the cream stays at the top of this class.   I don’t see a lot of other players worth drafting over them. 

Sorry this went so long.   But thanks for asking.  I’ve been looking to post this for a while.  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 10:40 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Watching more tape and Jordan Love makes more NFL level throws than anyone in this class. His touch is something special. Plus his receivers aren’t always wide open either.

Yes. His Sophomore film is more indicative of who he is as a quarterback, that team got gutted from last season to this one. All kinds of turnover, from the coaches down to the water cooler guys. People say Mahomes, and I guess there's always a chance, but I believe it to be a really small one. The comp I'd use is Carson Wentz, I think they share a ton of similarities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yes. His Sophomore film is more indicative of who he is as a quarterback, that team got gutted from last season to this one. All kinds of turnover, from the coaches down to the water cooler guys. People say Mahomes, and I guess there's always a chance, but I believe it to be a really small one. The comp I'd use is Carson Wentz, I think they share a ton of similarities. 

Yeah I don’t know why people try and brush that under the rug. Like when have you ever heard of a QB having a great sophomore year and then next year the entire coaching staff and offense (literally every starter except Love) leaves? To go from 32-6 to 16:15 means something definitely happened.

To be honest, Love’s biggest flaw is that he didn’t go to a Power 5 school. You put him on the teams that Tua, Burrow, and Lawrence have and you’re talking about him being the 1st overall pick.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 12:41 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I don’t know why people try and brush that under the rug. Like when have you ever heard of a QB having a great sophomore year and then next year the entire coaching staff and offense (literally every starter except Love) leaves? To go from 32-6 to 16:15 means something definitely happened.

To be honest, Love’s biggest flaw is that he didn’t go to a Power 5 school. You put him on the teams that Tua, Burrow, and Lawrence have and you’re talking about him being the 1st overall pick.

Whoa. Not sure about that. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Love taken as the next QB after the big 3 of Burrow, Tua and Herbert. I suspect if the Colts don't take Love at 13, they will have to trade back up into the first round fairly soon thereafter if they want to nab him. 

Some comments in this video by Rhule have me thinking they won’t take a QB. He mentions they will start with defense first. Then move to the offense. He mentions he knows there is a question at QB but he said he needs to see what guys can do. Just sounds like they might take defense with their pick and wait at least a year so he can see what he has at QB.