Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard’s eye for talent.

runthepost

On 1/9/2020 at 11:20 PM, DougDew said:

Your posts always seem to talk more about the person you're yelling at than the substance of the thread.  I'm surprised that you haven't been warned or banned, frankly.  You should find away to be less personal, then maybe you would be taken more seriously.

I'll try to keep all of your misrepresentations to a minimum.

I said all GMs inherit a mess.  That's why the other guy just got fired...duh.  I didn't say they all inherit the same level of mess.  You're making that up.  He inherited a top 5 QB in his 20s.  Some stat guy should look up how many new GMs have ever inherited that...unless it blows up a narrative of course.

The idea of how long it takes, or what he inherited, was offered by you.  Probably as a way to backpedal into defense mode. 

Changing schemes, by default, and it was his choice, empirically means that he inherited a roster that was moot.  It makes no sense to judge how much of an albatross Grigson laid on him because Ballard's decision to change the scheme made them useless even if they weren't old and slow.  He made that decision his second year.  He could have accelerated his build by keeping Anderson and Simon, and drafting Vontae's replacement in Marlon Humphrey instead of gambling on the next 34 Ed Reed...who doesn't even fit the defense he changed to after drafting him, which we will play a significant part of the time regardless.   

BTW, do you think Ballard sees that inconsistency in his approach with his FS?  I think he does, because I think he's neither dumb nor blind.

The point is, his current defense has nothing to do with what he did or did not inherit.  

Also, any player stats are inflated relative to the norm.  Anybody he drafted will start almost immediately because they will inherently be first in the new depth chart because there is nobody else to compete with.   The number of stats accumulated by that group is inflated because they never really had to seriously compete with anyone else in order to be in a position to accumulate stats.  Having said that, Hooker, his highest defensive pick, hasn't accumulated any in 2.5 years.  The fact that so many pundit/media types thought he was worth a top ten pick doesn't validate the pick, it simply shows that as a group, they can be wrong......and in great numbers.  Being wrong in great numbers can happen with many things.

But none of that matters.   Nearly every player listed in this thread as support for his eye for talent is here because of his choices.  That list hasn't accomplished much of anything.  

And no, I don't look to criticize Ballard.  I have said what he said, the roster isn't where it should be.  Ballard said as much about his roster.  In response to some saying we could have been 10 and 6, he said given the closeness of the games, we could have been 4 and 12.  Does that sound like a GM who thinks he's a QB away from contention, if you think he's one hell of a sincere guy?

So here you are, trying to tell me how dumb I am when Ballard agrees with me.  You've gotten to a point to where you have to argue with Ballard himself just to continue to carry that three year old bucket of water that he's a genius.  That's some sort of biased narrative going on upstairs that I'm not familiar with.

I so much agree with u.  This team.....the scheme and talent is totally driven by Ballard.  Like I said, u r judged by your wins.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:20 PM, DougDew said:

I said all GMs inherit a mess.  That's why the other guy just got fired...duh.  I didn't say they all inherit the same level of mess.  You're making that up.  He inherited a top 5 QB in his 20s.  Some stat guy should look up how many new GMs have ever inherited that...unless it blows up a narrative of course.

Curious....if it's so rare that an incoming GM inherits a top 5 QB in his 20's, would it not also be rare for a GM to be fired with a top 5 QB in his 20's?

Well....if they're all that and a bag of chips and the GM puts a good team around him?

Hey guys, 

I've just seen that Jadeveon Clowney is FA at the end of the year. 

He just said that he wanted to win titles and it would be a huge component of his future decision. 

Do you reckon: 

1- He could be a very good pick for us despite his low season? 

2- He could be convinced by Colts' project ? 

3- Ballard would like him ? 

4- The QB situation need to be resolved by the FA ? 

5- He's the guy our Dline is lacking ? 

Thank you !

10 hours ago, Edo said:

I've just seen that Jadeveon Clowney is FA at the end of the year. 

Clowney just made a big deal about only being willing to go to a legit SB contender. I don't think he's likely to see the Colts as a legit SB contender at this point. So, not likely he'd come to Indy.

In addition, Clowney is a DE and we are mostly lacking a DT.

On 1/12/2020 at 10:30 PM, Two_pound said:

For all you people who keep bashing Ballard and his ineffective roster building. Did any of you watch the Chiefs-Texan game today? I don't know if the Texans were missing 15-20 starters or not, but if that was their regulars I sure am glad I'm a Colt fan. That Texan team is so devoid of talent at all positions except receiver and qb I don't know how they are even competitive. We beat them 2 out of three times last season and split with them this past season(and we didn't have a qb this year). Just wow! There's going to have to be a 3-5 year rebuilding job there in Houston. Go Colts!

i agree they are top heavy but they were also top 10 in rushing (2 spots behind the colts) and they have a pretty good left tackle now too

they have a talented core on offense, but lack depth and cant afford to lose fuller or Hopkins to injury