Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Smith

I read about all the free agent qbs available but i never see his name mentioned. When this guy is heathly he can play. He is no Patrick Mahomes by any means but he knows how to win. We can get him cheap coming off a major injury and the skins will be looking to dump his salary with a young qb being there starter. We also have to remember Ballard is familiar with him from his Kansas city days. Better than Jacoby and good short term answer while we groom a young qb. Thoughts?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Is there a thread listing FA QBs?  
And could anyone recommend a site listing FAs at all positions?   Its fun to look at FA vs draft as speculate based on depth at positions in draft and FA.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-free-agent-quarterbacks-2020-ranking/jexwo8bxito918v7j5llki551

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A frustrating season always leads to a very interesting off season lol... 

That's me trying to be glass half full lol

Im ok dealing with down seasons.  I just wanna know (and see) that management and coaching understand, acknowledge , and have a plan going forward.  Sometimes short-term struggling is involved in the plan.  
  I have seen improvement each year both in play and roster.  And to be honest, at the start of the season (even WITH Luck) i thought we we still a draft and offseason away from a run.  I figured we’d make playoffs (we almost did without Luck and a kicker), but i thought we’d win one playoff game, then out.  We were very  young, and still needed a few pieces.

With the Luck retirement, i thought 8-8 and miss playoffss.

The season didnt go as planned to the 8-8 but i didnt plan on vinny, mack,hilton, most other WRs, ebron, leonard for a couple, CBs at times...... TOO many injuries.

Guys, with Andrew, we would have lost last week i’m afraid anyway.  Too many injuries, even for a “tier 1” QB.

This year wasnt about the QB position in the end.  Well, it is and it isnt.  In SO many ways.  This season was the perfect storm of surprises and bad luck, imo.  I’ll five them a pass this year.  How can’t i?

But I expect a plan for QB going forward.  Short AND long-term hopefully.  I expect more competition-at WR.  I expect serious attention paid to DL, specifically DT.  I expect more competition everywhere really.

I expect that this was a wakeup call from Irsay on down to the last giy on practice squad and the lowliest of trainers.

I expect ownership of this season by everyone.  I expect accountability.

I EXPECT all these things.

2 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

I read about all the free agent qbs available but i never see his name mentioned. When this guy is heathly he can play. He is no Patrick Mahomes by any means but he knows how to win. We can get him cheap coming off a major injury and the skins will be looking to dump his salary with a young qb being there starter. We also have to remember Ballard is familiar with him from his Kansas city days. Better than Jacoby and good short term answer while we groom a young qb. Thoughts?

This isn’t the worst idea I’ve read this off-season. 

Let’s be honest...  Alex Smith is one of the most unpopular players in the history of this website.   He is hated here.

But...   there are two key issues to be overcome.    First is health.   And if he’s never going to be 100 percent again,  then it’s a non-starter.  Deal over.

But, for discussions sake, if he IS going to be 100 percent again, then the other issue is his contract.   He got a ton of guaranteed upfront, but it all ends after this coming season.   But there are still dead cap money issues.   But Smith might be very willing to renegotiate because the upside for him is the chance to be a starter for a team that would be playoff caliber with a decent QB.  That Ballard knows him well is a bonus. 

And Washington’s asking price would likely be very small.  They have little to no leverage and a huge desire to move him. 

Still...   Lots of hurdles.  And maybe Ballard wants to get to the next young QB as soon as possible?   But I don’t hate the idea if everything else were doable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let’s be honest...  Alex Smith is one of the most unpopular players in the history of this website.   He is hated here.

But...   there are two key issues to be overcome.    First is health.   And if he’s never going to be 100 percent again,  then it’s a non-starter.  Deal over.

But, for discussions sake, if he IS going to be 100 percent again, then the other issue is his contract.   He got a ton of guaranteed upfront, but it all ends after this coming season.   But there are still dead cap money issues.   But Smith might be very willing to renegotiate because the upside for him is the chance to be a starter for a team that would be playoff caliber with a decent QB.  That Ballard knows him well is a bonus. 

And Washington’s asking price would likely be very small.  They have little to no leverage.  

Still...   Lots of hurdles.  And maybe Ballard wants to get to the next young QB as soon as possible?   But I don’t hate the idea if everything else were doable.

I like Alex Smith, this would be a great idea before his injury, now not so much. I have always thought he was a great game manager and an above average QB. I doubt he even plays again though.

• Like 1

personally, I like Smith he is an excellent QB who has averaged a new OC every 1.3 years he's been in the league.  And if this was Alex Smith pre injury, I would say that would be great, not as a long term solution, but a guy who could provide a few years of good QB play until another QB came along.

But after that injury and his age, I agree with @TheMiz, I don't think Smith will play in the NFL again.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

personally, I like Smith he is an excellent QB who has averaged a new OC every 1.3 years he's been in the league.  And if this was Alex Smith pre injury, I would say that would be great, not as a long term solution, but a guy who could provide a few years of good QB play until another QB came along.

But after that injury and his age, I agree with @TheMiz, I don't think Smith will play in the NFL again.

I like Alex too, but injury and age concern me. I’m not in the bridge QB camp... I think Teddy could be our franchise guy but I’ve been wrong before. If we draft one I’d rather just roll with JB and let CK, JB and the rook battle it out.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And Washington’s asking price would likely be very small.  They have little to no leverage and a huge desire to move him. 

I'm in the same boat.  If the hurdles could be overcome (health, contract), I'd support it.  He would be an improvement and a decent bridge to the next franchise QB.  

• Thanks 1

Between the health and cost it's easy to say nope. And when he's good it because of the rest of the roster as much as him- I don't think the Colts have a completed roster for him to coast with. He'd be more in my conversation if it wasn't a big cap hit to have that kind of question mark.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vexed said:

I like Alex too, but injury and age concern me. I’m not in the bridge QB camp... I think Teddy could be our franchise guy but I’ve been wrong before. If we draft one I’d rather just roll with JB and let CK, JB and the rook battle it out.

I just don't see Bridgewater as a franchise QB.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Thx. Ive been looking at several.
im excited to see what the offseason brings

Don't be, that is if you're looking at UFA signings. Last year we had a ton of cap space, we got an over rated WR to waste 10 million. I highly doubt we jump in that lake again. Maybe getting a "B" type of DT and WR, but that's it..

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I just don't see Bridgewater as a franchise QB.

I like Teddy’s chances with this staff. He’s got upside, youth and some of the characteristics that CB is looking for. I would love to kick the tires but like I said Coffee.... I’ve been wrong before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vexed said:

I like Teddy’s chances with this staff. He’s got upside, youth and some of the characteristics that CB is looking for. I would love to kick the tires but like I said Coffee.... I’ve been wrong before.

He'd be an improvement, but the problem is that he's going to be looking for a longer big contract and he isn't great.  Far from a sure thing to hook your wagon to.   He started 16 games only once and had 14 TD's and 9 INT's.  

image.png.ed0bfc4fd5350b734a902ad5586f3a00.png

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You are dead wrong here, McDaniels is easily the most hated guy in the history of this website, followed by Tom Brady then Rivers and then most of the 2000’s group of New England Patriot players. 

Alex is pretty far down the list of most hated here. Lol

I have always been a fan of Alex Smith. I would take him over Brissett any day. I would take Smith and draft a QB and clean house of what we have now.  Smith is mobile, smart, and he wins.  His first few years were rough but once a little more talent got around him he did great.  He should have never been benched in SF.

8 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

You are dead wrong here, McDaniels is easily the most hated guy in the history of this website, followed by Tom Brady then Rivers and then most of the 2000’s group of New England Patriot players. 

Alex is pretty far down the list of most hated here. Lol

I can think of 55 people hated more than him.  BB, the whole Pats roster, and Rivers.  I am sure there are more but those 55 for sure.  

30 minutes ago, Myles said:

He'd be an improvement, but the problem is that he's going to be looking for a longer big contract and he isn't great.  Far from a sure thing to hook your wagon to.   He started 16 games only once and had 14 TD's and 9 INT's.  

image.png.ed0bfc4fd5350b734a902ad5586f3a00.png

I get your point man. I’m of the opinion that the injury stunted his development and he never really got to hit his ceiling. I would just be curious as to how much closer he could get to it after working with Sean Payton and continuing with Frank. I thought early on the kid had a chance to be really good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I have always been a fan of Alex Smith. I would take him over Brissett any day. I would take Smith and draft a QB and clean house of what we have now.  Smith is mobile, smart, and he wins.  His first few years were rough but once a little more talent got around him he did great.  He should have never been benched in SF.

I’m not what he is now at this stage of his career but the last time I seen him playing in KC, he was an adequate game manager, not carrying the team by hisself and that’s solid enough. Makes good decisions and is mobile enough (the injury and daddy time has probably slowed him a bit).  I’d roll the dice if he were healthy. He will know this offense mostly. He would fill a stop gap imho. 

• Like 1

Actually Smith wouldn't cost that much. The Redskins would have to eat all DM remaining of his signing bonuses. So the Colts would only need to take his base salary, which is $16M for 2020, then $19M for 2021 and $21M for 2022. Only the $16M for 2020 is guaranteed. At the same time, the Redsking would be able to clear $16M off of their salary cap, Remember when the Texans traded Osweiler to the Brown AND gave up a 2nd rounder along with him, so they can get rid of his cap hit? Maybe the Redskins would be willing to do something similar. Maybe not give up a pick, but I'm positive they would let Smith go for dirt cheap.

So, assuming he's indeed healthy, this is actually not a terrible idea. If he can play - I assume he can, if he's healthy -, he's a better bridge QB than Jacoby. And his $16M salary for 2020 is more than fair for a starting QB nowadays. His remaining years are not guaranteed, so the Colts can cut him without dead money any time after one season.

(It's all hypothetical tough, because I think Ballard & Reich would not replace Jacoby for other than a possible long term solution. They like him too much.)