Indianapolis Colts
Luck2Hilton4TD

Who Are Some of the Potential Veteran QB Options for the Colts this Offseason?

I want Andy Dalton as a 1-2 year stopgap. By far the best FA QB to me. We'd instantly make the playoffs with him at QB with our o-line and run game. He had nothing in Cinci last year until the end of the season. He would thrive here for 1-2 years.

• Like 1

Dalton, Carr, or Stafford would improve us tremendously. I think Rivers is already well on the decline. Preseason the chargers had the best roster in the NFL with tons of offensive weapons, and rivers had maybe his worst year to date. 

• Like 1

If it's a stop gap only, I only want us to consider FA.

If it's someone younger who we'd count on for a few years, THEN I wouldn't mind a trade.

I'd probably take Carr but I doubt he would be a stop gap 1-2 year player. He wants to lead an offense so I doubt he would take a back seat somewhere. Cam Newton would be interesting but I think he's passed his prime plus a bit injury prone. If it had to be only 1-2 year max, I would probably take Phillip Rivers because he can help mentor our young QBs.

The most interesting candidates are under contract with their current teams.  So they won't become available until draft day, when the current team can select the new QB.  Only Dalton might be available before the draft if CIN negotiates with Burrow early. (Is Dalton a FA this March?)

So if Ballard chooses that route, he's going to have to have some sort of predraft discussions with potential teams prior to the draft, then pull the trigger on draft day,IMO.

The true FA are Rivers and Eli, and possibly some lesser tier QBs.

I believe that Bridgewater is a FA.

He is the same age as JB

He won 5 games this year on the Saints

He would cost us nothing, other than a 2-3 year deal

He led the Vikings to a 10-6 record before an injury

If we went that route, we could use ALL of our top 3 picks

on team improvement. We could use our 3rd round or 4th to get a QB to develop

We could STILL develop CK or a Rookie QB to be future competition

I think if we go FA, he makes sense.

Choice 1 - Carr, but it would be a trade of one or more of our key picks (If he is even available)

Choice 2 - Bridgewater 

Choice 3 - Dalton 

The guy isnt bad. He isnt the new "franchise QB" but can still play at a high level. If he gets time to throw he is accurate. He has been stuck in a horrible situation in Cincy and lost his best weapon in Green. (Probably can be had for a 5th)

(We should also try to sign Green)

Choice 4 - Rivers 

I dont know if Rivers really is a choice....... he has 10 kids.....  I did the corp move 4 times

and my kids suffered the most... I doubt he wants to move with only a year or two left

Rivers is also sliding quite a bit. Many of the talking heads are saying he has lost the edge.

Do we pick up someone that was on an obvious downward trend, and then get an worse version in 2020?  

Any of these 4 choices would be a step up from current QB play

I don't think Rivers gives us a step up from JB.  I do expect that JB would improve a little bit next season, just by having more confidence in new weapons.

Bridgewater is interesting; however, he did well on teams that were already pretty good, much better than the Colts are currently, IMO.

17 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I believe that Bridgewater is a FA.

He is the same age as JB

He won 5 games this year on the Saints

He would cost us nothing, other than a 2-3 year deal

He led the Vikings to a 10-6 record before an injury

If we went that route, we could use ALL of our top 3 picks

on team improvement. We could use our 3rd round or 4th to get a QB to develop

We could STILL develop CK or a Rookie QB to be future competition

I think if we go FA, he makes sense.

Choice 1 - Carr, but it would be a trade of one or more of our key picks (If he is even available)

Choice 2 - Bridgewater 

Choice 3 - Dalton 

The guy isnt bad. He isnt the new "franchise QB" but can still play at a high level. If he gets time to throw he is accurate. He has been stuck in a horrible situation in Cincy and lost his best weapon in Green. (Probably can be had for a 5th)

(We should also try to sign Green)

Choice 4 - Rivers 

I dont know if Rivers really is a choice....... he has 10 kids.....  I did the corp move 4 times

and my kids suffered the most... I doubt he wants to move with only a year or two left

Rivers is also sliding quite a bit. Many of the talking heads are saying he has lost the edge.

Do we pick up someone that was on an obvious downward trend, and then get an worse version in 2020?  

Any of these 4 choices would be a step up from current QB play

Bridgewater is just like JB. 

• Like 1

I like Carr, Dalton, Rosen (maybe), and Bridgewater.

I'd rather not have Brady here as I don't think he likes Indy at all and I really don't think he'd sign with us; nor do I care for him.   Rivers, I'd take, but I think he would be a one year guy and doesn't want to move his family from SD, which from my understanding is where they still live.  I could deal with Rivers' antics a lot easier than Brady tantrums. 

I'd be surprised if we sign more than one free agent who wasn't on the Colts in 2019.  Ballard is Polianesque in that respect. 

23 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Bridgewater is just like JB. 

Bridgewater is not a franchise QB

But

Bridgewater is more of a winner than JB

(As his record, so far, shows)

I dont think he is 3X the QB that JB is, but would offer enough of an improvement that

defenses cant stack the line so much

Going the FA path is only a stop gap measure until we can get a quality QB via the draft. Only guys I would consider as 1st rounders this year are Burrows and Tua. Definitely would not trade up to get any others--if one was to fall into our hands OK.

Unfortunately, the only way to draft a potential franchise guy is to have a horrible season and draft very early.