Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer’s First Mock of 2020

Obviously, I’m in the “give Brissett another year” camp, which’ll lose most of you immediately.  But, here goes:

Sign: S Jeff Heath, Cowboys

Re-Sign: Castonzo, Haeg, Jonathan Williams, Funchess, and all RFAs/ERFAs.

Draft:

1) Henry Ruggs, WR, Alabama

2) Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma

2) Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa

3) Jonah Jackson, OL, Ohio St.

4) Anthony Gordon, QB, Washington St.

5) Bryce Sterk, DE, Montana St.

6) Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinios

6) Stephen Sullivan, TE, LSU

7) Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Auburn

Strong possibility of trading down in the 2nd and getting the same players, but I hate to predict trades (though I sometimes do).

38 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I am in the same camp as you. I love this draft. Not just to give him weapons but you have a stud receiver that you draft. Also I love... I mean love Anthony Gordon and have been in his bandwagon for about 2 months now. 

Looks like it’s probably you and me, buddy, on this one!   I watched a lot of Eason and a little of Love, and I’m way higher on Gordon.  Not a good year to be in on an early QB IMO, unless you can get Burrow.

• Like 1

Haha. I agree. We seem to be the only ones that like JB and feel he could do better next year. 

i have also watched Love, Eason and Gordon’s bowl games. 

I rank them

Gordon- I love his quick release and arm strength. He also showed he could read the field. 

Love- came away very impressed. Just really question his judgment. 

Eason- Love his arm strength. Decision making and not very mobile in pocket concerns me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

Looks like it’s probably you and me, buddy, on this one!   I watched a lot of Eason and a little of Love, and I’m way higher on Gordon.  Not a good year to be in on an early QB IMO, unless you can get Burrow.

I couldn't agree more with the bolded statement. Colts fans are scrambling to find any QB they can since Luck left, and are overlooking the fact that this class is not great at the position. There is Burrow, who should be a mid-level QB in the league, and Tua, who if he returns could be top 10, but after that it's a big question mark for every single other QB. I'd much rather stick with Brisset for a season and hang on until the good QB class next year than take a project QB, but if we were to go QB, I'd go Eason at the top of the second frame or Gordon on day 3. 

As for the draft, I'm not too high on Ruggs, and really hope CeeDee Lamb is their instead, but I'd be happy with either as they are both quality weapons. I also do like Gallimore, but don't know enough about the rest of these players yet to fairly judge. Either way, it's always a treat to look at your mocks, so well done and I can't wait for more of them!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

As for the draft, I'm not too high on Ruggs, and really hope CeeDee Lamb is their instead, but I'd be happy with either as they are both quality weapons. I also do like Gallimore, but don't know enough about the rest of these players yet to fairly judge. Either way, it's always a treat to look at your mocks, so well done and I can't wait for more of them!

Yeah, I’m a Lamb guy too.  I don’t think he’ll be there for us.  My main goal is to  give JB enough at the position to accurately assess him as a QB, and hopefully have that person be our future #1.  As loaded as this WR class is supposed to be, I’ve still had trouble identifying that prospect that fits what we need (a PRODUCTIVE #2 who can grow into a #1 role).  I fell in love with Devonta Smith, but then he decided to stay in school.  So, in the end, I felt Ruggs  was  a good enough athlete to become a plus route runner.  It is a slight projection on athletic traits, I guess, but it’s not like he’s been UNproductive....

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I did one mock based on your concept of giving JB a year to prove himself, i went heavy on DT early to sure up our middle and make them have to double( in hopes that will create a more balanced pass rush)

Another nasty finish to the ground OG, and a monster TE. AJ is a big back 250lbs mostly in his legs( power back or even a FB on scheme plays)

13- Tee Higgins WR

34- Neville Gallimore DT

44- Rashard Lawrence DT

75- Llyod Cushenberry III OG

112- Albert Okwuegbunam TE

142- Michael Pittman JR WR

173- Anthony Gordon QB

188- AJ Dillon RB

204- Levonta Taylor CB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Haha. I agree. We seem to be the only ones that like JB and feel he could do better next year. 

i have also watched Love, Eason and Gordon’s bowl games. 

I rank them

Gordon- I love his quick release and arm strength. He also showed he could read the field. 

Love- came away very impressed. Just really question his judgment. 

Eason- Love his arm strength. Decision making and not very mobile in pocket concerns me. 

JB is liked by a lot of folks here. Most of us do think JB will be the starter next year (there was even a poll where JB was seen as the starter considerably) and even if we draft a Round 1 QB, he will sit behind JB for the first year. Plus, upgrades at pass catching positions will only help JB. But beyond 2020, no one knows.

The consensus is, most QBs in the draft will have flaws. The question is, who has a ceiling combined with a strong work ethic to get better that you can invest in? Most of us just see football ability but the scouts and our GM will have the inside scoop on all these QB's work habits and work ethics, which will be a big factor, IMO, to decide who is worth taking the chance on. 

We are no different than draft pundits, and someone's spaghetti is bound to stick on the wall for them to come back and gloat. :) 

• Like 2

I think there is more deeper talent in the WR position than the DT position, so I would flip rounds 1 and 2 with players of commensurate value.  DT Kinlaw in the first.

Double dipping on OL, and with fairly high picks?  I assume you have questions about AC's longevity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

I think Gordon would beat on Brissett pretty quickly.

Based on what we seen from JB this season and what little we seen from Kelly, I honestly think given the honest chance, Kelly will beat out JB this upcoming year. I wouldn’t be against looking at a Gordon type guy (have no idea who he is) just to keep the competition steady. 

If Brown is available at #13, you take that DT, if not and you’re set on DT, trade down a little and pick up another pick and get Kinlaw. Certainly we can get better value with #14 than Ruggs III. This defense has got to have production from the DT to be successful. If we aren’t going for a QB at #13, we better fix that DT spot.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Archer said:

Obviously, I’m in the “give Brissett another year” camp, which’ll lose most of you immediately.  But, here goes:

Sign: S Jeff Heath, Cowboys

Re-Sign: Castonzo, Haeg, Jonathan Williams, Funchess, and all RFAs/ERFAs.

Draft:

1) Henry Ruggs, WR, Alabama

2) Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma

2) Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa

3) Jonah Jackson, OL, Ohio St.

4) Anthony Gordon, QB, Washington St.

5) Bryce Sterk, DE, Montana St.

6) Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinios

6) Stephen Sullivan, TE, LSU

7) Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Auburn

Strong possibility of trading down in the 2nd and getting the same players, but I hate to predict trades (though I sometimes do).

I’m all for Ruggs but, only if we draft a guy like Easen in the second.  Jacoby can’t throw the ball.  If we aren’t drafting a QB That can start day 1 a WR means nothing because Jacoby will miss him when he’s open or overthrow him when he’s open.  Take a stud DT or something because playing solid defense is how we’re gonna win games if Jacoby moves forward as our quarterback.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

JB is liked by a lot of folks here. Most of us do think JB will be the starter next year (there was even a poll where JB was seen as the starter considerably) and even if we draft a Round 1 QB, he will sit behind JB for the first year. Plus, upgrades at pass catching positions will only help JB. But beyond 2020, no one knows.

The consensus is, most QBs in the draft will have flaws. The question is, who has a ceiling combined with a strong work ethic to get better that you can invest in? Most of us just see football ability but the scouts and our GM will have the inside scoop on all these QB's work habits and work ethics, which will be a big factor, IMO, to decide who is worth taking the chance on. 

We are no different than draft pundits, and someone's spaghetti is bound to stick on the wall for them to come back and gloat. :) 

I respectfully disagree that better lass catchers will significantly help Jacoby.  I haven’t been on the board this year and I’ll quickly become known as a “Jacoby Hater” but he’s not good.  He’s scared to throw the ball and hesitates, he holds it to long, he misses wide open receivers all the time and when they are open he overthrows them... 

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think there is more deeper talent in the WR position than the DT position, so I would flip rounds 1 and 2 with players of commensurate value.  DT Kinlaw in the first.

Double dipping on OL, and with fairly high picks?  I assume you have questions about AC's longevity.

I don’t disagree with you about the WR position - I keep reading about how historically good the WR position is this year.  I just can’t seem to identify a guy in the 2nd round with a decent chance of becoming a really high-end, consistently productive WR.   Outside of Round 1, I like Gabriel Davis and Tyler Johnson, but I’m not sure what they bring to the table that we don’t already have in Fountain (of whom I’m a big fan), Pascal, etc.  Ruggs has blinding speed and a down the field resume (which TY can’t provide as much any more)...

As for the OL, I couldn’t believe how poor our OL depth was on the final 53 this year.  We only kept 8, and Clark and Andrews looked very poor in preseason against 2nd and 3rd teamers.  We got lucky and no one on our line missed a start, but that happens once every twenty years.  If we had to go deeper than Haeg, we woulda been hurting.  So, I really wanted to add a potential successor to AC, who would be a good swing tackle in the meantime.  Really concerned about OL depth....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

Ruggs has blinding speed and a down the field resume (which TY can’t provide as much any more)...

I originally supported the Dorsett pick because I though TY needed a down the field compliment.  That same thought hasn't entered my thinking yet this year but it probably should, given TYs age.  Ruggs would be a good candidate.

Golly, does that mean we should be looking for 2 WRs?  And then we have a TE issue too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I’m all for Ruggs but, only if we draft a guy like Easen in the second.  Jacoby can’t throw the ball.  If we aren’t drafting a QB That can start day 1 a WR means nothing because Jacoby will miss him when he’s open or overthrow him when he’s open.  Take a stud DT or something because playing solid defense is how we’re gonna win games if Jacoby moves forward as our quarterback.  

I feel the same way. Our DT spot is 1B on the list of problem areas of the team. If you can’t fix the QB day 1, best to fix the DT spot and make plans for your next QB because we all pretty much feel JB has hit his ceiling and it’s a 6 foot ceiling. We need those high 10 foot ceilings again.