Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rocks last 8 games

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I expect him to take a nice step forward next year. And if he doesn't, he'll be good depth at minimum for many years.

3 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Rock "PFF all star" Ya Sin is our CB1 of the future!! Who cares if he can't play Man to Man without holding!! 

Pretty harsh on a rookie thrust into a position where he was playing more snaps than anyone prior to injury.... 

He'll be fine. The things he struggle with are areas prone to "click" in year 2. 

• Like 1

I guess I'm cynical after Quincy Wilson. Every off season, the local media hyped him up. Created narrative that he was working very hard, and was poised for a breakout year. Since Wilson has busted, and they look foolish, the media is already doing this trick for Rock. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I guess I'm cynical after Quincy Wilson. Every off season, the local media hyped him up. Created narrative that he was working very hard, and was poised for a breakout year. Since Wilson has busted, and they look foolish, the media is already doing this trick for Rock. 

Rock has actually played well though so it’s not hype.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Rock "PFF all star" Ya Sin is our CB1 of the future!! Who cares if he can't play Man to Man without holding!! 

Reading your posts brings a smile to my face every time! Because no matter how long or terrible my day has been I will never have as much to complain about as @Pacergeek does on any given day. It’s not that’s hard to just admit he had a good second half of the season instead of complaining all the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s funny how people take one game and can’t get it out of their heads. Outside of the Denver game and the one play in week 17 you barely heard his name. He actually had good coverage on Thomas. Bree’s was just on fire that night.

Agree to disagree, I could be wrong but I believe he had atleast one pass interference or defensive holding call every game he played. I will say he played adequate for a rookie.

5 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Are you not familiar with the concept that young players get better?

Do you not know that Peyton Manning led the NFL in interceptions his rookie year?

Or that Jerry Rice led all receivers in drops his rookie year?

Most young players get better.  Period. 

Rock played more snaps than expected because both Kenny Moore and Pierre Desir were hurt a lot.

It’s astounding how little you know about sports in general and the Colts in specific. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you not know that Peyton Manning led the NFL in interceptions his rookie year?

Or that Jerry Rice led all receivers in drops his rookie year?

Most young players get better.  Period. 

Rock played more snaps than expected because both Kenny Moore and Pierre Desir were hurt a lot.

It’s astounding how little you know about sports in general and the Colts in specific. 

Besides the grabbing, Rock had a good year for a CB. Only Courtland Sutton destroyed him and he's a 6'4 physical receiver. Rock got better as the year went on to me. Probably played like a 2nd rounder. We also had little pass-rush though, so that was a big factor as well.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

......sometimes get better.

Let's not fall into the trap of believing that improvement is automatic. 

With regards to Rock he seemed to have a very "meh" season to my eyes although we did obviously ask him to do a lot for a rookie. He is being bigged up by some of the analytic companies obviously so let's just see what happens.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s funny how people take one game and can’t get it out of their heads. Outside of the Denver game and the one play in week 17 you barely heard his name. He actually had good coverage on Thomas. Bree’s was just on fire that night.

He had a holding call about every week it seemed. You heard his name plenty

Rock Ya Sin when someone thinks he ain't going to tackle them: 

source.gif

Seriously, Ya Sin is the best tackler on the team and he'll be even better next year. 

He has come light years from where he started. Reminds me of the transformation of Kenny Moore. The future is bright for him!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Besides the grabbing, Rock had a good year for a CB. Only Courtland Sutton destroyed him and he's a 6'4 physical receiver. Rock got better as the year went on to me. Probably played like a 2nd rounder. We also had little pass-rush though, so that was a big factor as well.

Once you have seen Sutton torch Rock, you cannot un-see this horrifying image. This is my biggest hang-up. Until I see Rock hold his own against a quality WR, I will continuing viewing Rock unfavorably.

35 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Rock Ya Sin when someone thinks he ain't going to tackle them: 

source.gif

Seriously, Ya Sin is the best tackler on the team and he'll be even better next year. 

He has come light years from where he started. Reminds me of the transformation of Kenny Moore. The future is bright for him!  

Kenny Moore would disagree about Rock being the best tackler on the team.

• Like 1

Problem is that DB's have a hard time in terms of the fan base thinking they are good.  

You hear their name and notice them more when they fail than when they succeed.  And when they blanket their man so the QB wouldn't even think to throw there, you don't hear their name at all.

No one is sitting at home calculating passing rating when thrown at for any CB's or safeties.  In fact that information is not even that easy to find.  

Keep in mind, Rock made the huge jump from Temple and was immediately thrust into a starting position at what is consider the hardest position to adjust to from the college to pro game. Historically, rookie CB's don't fare well and take years to develop. Rock has already shown that he can be a starting CB and just needs to keep improving.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Once you have seen Sutton torch Rock, you cannot un-see this horrifying image. This is my biggest hang-up. Until I see Rock hold his own against a quality WR, I will continuing viewing Rock unfavorably.

I live in Colorado and knew it would happen. Sutton is Rock's nightmare, a huge, physical solid receiver. He was at a huge disadvantage last year playing in zone coverage and having to learn a new scheme, the sutton matchup sent it over the edge. He's a rookie at one of the hardest positions to learn against no1 WR's.

You know I call out players when they are bad. I've buried Brissett below Australia by now. Rock is a good CB so far though. You're wrong to think he's a bust.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I disagree with ya-Sin being a better tackler than Moore... that guy (Moore) is scrappy and a great form tackler.

That being said, I have been talking for several weeks on how good Rock had been playing, I don't need PFF grades to tell me that.

People forget that he played at a non scholarship school for most of his collegiate career and then 1 year at Temple (not exactly an FCS powerhouse).  

He showed consistent improvement throughout the year and when you consider he basically made the leap from a small school to the NFL it becomes even more impressive.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

Desir returned down the stretch and took the burnings himself.  

About this same time last year PFF produced a similar article about Wilson's final 8 games, calling him a breakout player for 2019.

This is more consistent with what I think I saw than "Rock was awesome".. The secondary as a whole got worse as the season went and Rock had some head scratching moments for sure. I wasn't blown away with his coverage, but he's certainly a good tackler who played hard. It was a rookie season and I think he'll get better. Not overly concerned about him not fulfilling the expectation. 

17 minutes ago, #12. said:

About this same time last year PFF produced a similar article about Wilson's final 8 games, calling him a breakout player for 2019.

The bolded means nothing. Literally the only things Rock and Quincy have in common are the position they play and the color of their skin. Your comment is like saying if a roulette ball lands on red one spin, it'll land on red the next spin. Independent trials and different people.

14 minutes ago, #12. said:

One, PFF did not call Wilson a breakout player for 2019, all that was said is he is bound for a strong 2019 campaign in the title.

But with Wilson the issue has never been talent, it's been work ethic and improving on his craft.  That seems to be the opposite of Rock where his work ethic is one of the reasons why he was considered a low first/high 2nd round talent in the draft even though he only played 1 year of Div I football.

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Agreed.  I thought he did well for a rookie.  The secondary needs to improve, but that should come with growth as players and not by replacing players, IMO.

1 hour ago, waittilnextyear said:

5 for PI
3 for holding

This site shows it as:

5 Holding 

3 PI

1 Illegal Contact

Also, it shows

2 at KC in week 5 (illegal contact, holding)

5 vs Denver in week 8 (3 holding, 2 PI)

1 at NO in week 15 (holding)

1 at Jacsonville  in week 17 (PI)

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He had a holding call about every week it seemed. You heard his name plenty

So, it appears his name wasn't heard for a penalty anywhere near every week. It was heard during only 4 games, in fact, for a total of only 9 penalties all season. Pretty good for a rookie CB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

This site shows it as:

5 Holding 

3 PI

1 Illegal Contact

Also, it shows

2 at KC in week 5 (illegal contact, holding)

5 vs Denver in week 8 (3 holding, 2 PI)

1 at NO in week 15 (holding)

1 at Jacsonville  in week 17 (PI)

So, it appears his name wasn't heard for a penalty anywhere near every week. It was heard during only 4 games, in fact, for a total of only 9 penalties all season. Pretty good for a rookie CB.

Thanks, I was waiting for someone to put these stats up.