Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wade Phillips?

1 hour ago, cbear said:

For the sake of argument, can our personnel switch to a 3-4 or whatever he runs?  I doubt we pursue him but I've always liked his imagination. 

No, we don’t have the personnel immediately, but it wouldn’t be all the tough to add the pieces we’d need...we certainly have the stand up rushers, and Stewart is a nice piece.  Hunt and Autry could both do well in a one gap 3-4 but we’d need 2 or 3 more DT sized pieces for depth at the point of attack than we currently carry.  Our off the ball LBs could probably do it, but Leonard probably wouldn’t be the impact guy he is for us in any other scheme....and that’s the real issue.

Impact.  Everything about the draft capital we’ve invested for three years is optimized to the current scheme.  It’s a scheme I hate...but it’s one you can clearly win with when optimized...it would take at least 2 years to optimize impact in a scheme change...so we’ve got to simply do what we do at a higher level...

And somehow draft Warren Sapp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not that there’s even a chance of it happening, but the 4-3/3-4 debate is so dated in this era. Aaron Donald was scientifically engineered in a lab to play UT in a 4-3 and he’s playing in Wade’s 3-4. Base defensive alignment doesn’t matter, and it matters even less since you’re playing nickel at least 60% of the time. What you ask your linemen to do matters far more, and Wade has always had an attacking line, rather than read and react. Same philosophy as Eberflus. 

5 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Not that there’s even a chance of it happening, but the 4-3/3-4 debate is so dated in this era. Aaron Donald was scientifically engineered in a lab to play UT in a 4-3 and he’s playing in Wade’s 3-4. Base defensive alignment doesn’t matter, and it matters even less since you’re playing nickel at least 60% of the time. What you ask your linemen to do matters far more, and Wade has always had an attacking line, rather than read and react. Same philosophy as Eberflus. 

Donald in a 4-3 not getting doubled each snap might help him

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Please....god.....we've had too many losses as fans.......just......CHANGE......SOMETHING!!

Sarcasm off...

So true. Got a friend at work who's a Saints fan and the guy was basically losing his mind saying 'it's Teddy time, Drew is toast, we've gotta move on... Lol.

Football fans truly go off the deep end at seasons end. 

Everyone has to go.

• Like 1

Kris Richard, probably will be let go from Cowboys, he’s my first choice, at least let him coach our secondary as a defensive assistant.  I do think they give Eberflus another year with more secondary and DL pieces and see where it goes before giving up on him.

Why does everyone want to rag on Eberflus? Or Reich for that manner? Put them in a time machine and ship them back to 2000 or so, and we're sitting on more rings than the Patriots...We wasted the entire Manning/Luck era on coaches who played not to lose...we go 4-12 at best with Mora, Dungy, Caldwell, or Pagano this year

11 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

LOL...yeah that's not even remotely true.  Of course base alignment matters.  The base scheme of your defense dictates the traits  needed for each position of said defense. 

However, that being said, it would be easier for the Colts to switch to Wade's 3-4 than most other 3-4 defenses because Wade's is a 1-gap system.  However as ztboiler pointed out, we'd need some overhaul in the front 7, just not as much as trying to switch back to a 2 gap 3-4.

• Like 1

As others have pointed out, Phillips runs the 3-4 and we don't have the players for that.  I think the 3-4 is a harder defense to run.  His D's are awesome for about three to four years and then players start to rotate out onto another team or retire as the D is so physical. 

I think with a pass rushing DT, our defense will improve significantly and even more so when the CB position is addressed.  I think our LB's are pretty decent.

All that said, I love Wade Phillips.  Peyton can thank him for his second SB ring. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, J@son said:

LOL...yeah that's not even remotely true.  Of course base alignment matters.  The base scheme of your defense dictates the traits  needed for each position of said defense. 

However, that being said, it would be easier for the Colts to switch to Wade's 3-4 than most other 3-4 defenses because Wade's is a 1-gap system.  However as ztboiler pointed out, we'd need some overhaul in the front 7, just not as much as trying to switch back to a 2 gap 3-4.

That’s essentially what I’m saying. Alignment is less important than assignment. Wade has always had a one gap 3-4. I don’t think we’d need as much overhaul on the front seven as you’re thinking but the back end might need a little with Wade’s man coverage tendencies. I would prefer him over Eberflus but the chances of it happening are non existent. 

19 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

That’s essentially what I’m saying. Alignment is less important than assignment. Wade has always had a one gap 3-4. I don’t think we’d need as much overhaul on the front seven as you’re thinking but the back end might need a little with Wade’s man coverage tendencies. I would prefer him over Eberflus but the chances of it happening are non existent. 

It doesn’t matter because they aren’t going to fire Eberflus.

On 1/6/2020 at 9:30 PM, 1959Colts said:

Eberflus isn't goin anywhere.

I agree with this.  I think our D played over its head last year.  We have a lot of raw talent on this D, we need a teacher.  Phillips is a master schemer but he does most of his work with veteran players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

I agree with this.  I think our D played over its head last year.  We have a lot of raw talent on this D, we need a teacher.  Phillips is a master schemer but he does most of his work with veteran players.

Actually. I'm not too happy with what I have seen from Eberflus.

I am thinking more and more, his scheme is flawed.

But my point is, the Colts brass is not moving away from Flus at this point. no way, no how.