Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Recommended Posts

Tua Tagovailoa to enter 2020 NFL Draft:

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/06/tua-tagovailoa-to-enter-2020-nfl-draft/

 

Quote

 

Tua Tagovailoa called it a “difficult time,” but he’s about to be comforted by the warm embrace of professional football.

The Alabama quarterback just announced that he was declaring for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Alabama coach Nick Saban said he “has probably had as much of an impact on our program as any player we’ve ever had,” and at a school like Alabama, that’s saying something.

Now comes the question of when he’ll be drafted...

 

 

...If you work from the safe assumption that LSU quarterback Joe Burrow will go first overall to the Bengals, the rest of the top 10 creates some interesting possibilities.

Washington (picking second) and the Giants (fourth) just drafted quarterbacks in the first round last year, so they’re ostensibly out.

The Lions (third) have a lot of money tied up in Matthew Stafford, who was playing incredibly well before a back injury sidelined him the second half of the season.

The Dolphins (fifth) were the usual suspect back when Tagovailoa was still healthy and everyone thought they’d be picking higher, and they could provide a soft place to land.

The Chargers (sixth) and Panthers (seventh) could also make an easy case for drafting a quarterback this year as well.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not shocked....

it was the only smart move both health wise, and financially.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is good odds that someone will trade up with Washington, the Giants, or the Lions in order to jump the Dolphins.  In fact the Dolphins might have to spend some capital to trade up themselves just to avoid getting jumped.  

 

He is making the right decision for himself.  You can always go back to college to finish your degree.  But that multi million dollar pay-day might not be there next year.  He takes another major injury and he likely falls to the 2nd round. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

His injury history is awfully scary 


This 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

not shocked....

it was the only smart move both health wise, and financially.

 

Healthwise the only smart move would be to never play football again. 

 

Financially however it was the only smart move.  Pretty much all risk and zero reward in staying.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

Healthwise the only smart move would be to never play football again. 

 

Financially however it was the only smart move.  Pretty much all risk and zero reward in staying.  

 

At least now, he gets NFL doctors, and NFL dollars should he get hurt. He's basically going to get paid all next season to "rehab" with some of the best docs in the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news for the Colts.   It'll allow 1 more QB to drop a bit.  

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good, good... we want all the quarterbacks! Give us all of them! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good news for the Colts.   It'll allow 1 more QB to drop a bit.  

 

 

yup, yup. and triple yup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good news for the Colts.   It'll allow 1 more QB to drop a bit.  

 

I was thinking it allows 1 more WR, or DT or OT to drop (to our #13)

 

i’m no expert, but it seems Burrough, Tua, and Herbert could go before our #13.  I also seem to hear the rest of the QBs should be later.  It does potentially push a QB down and alot relies to team’s views of the QBs, i realize.  


who knows, but bottom line is IF Tua is taken before our #13, yes, it is a good thing. But Im starting to think SD will grab Herbert.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I was thinking it allows 1 more WR, or DT or OT to drop (to our #13)

 

i’m no expert, but it seems Burrough, Tua, and Herbert could go before our #13.  I also seem to hear the rest of the QBs should be later.  It does potentially push a QB down and alot relies to team’s views of the QBs, i realize.  


who knows, but bottom line is IF Tua is taken before our #13, yes, it is a good thing. But Im starting to think SD will grab Herbert.  

It’s also possible Chargers take Love. I think he is going to rise and he is a California kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

His injury history is awfully scary 

He will end up in a full body cast in traction if he comes to Indy

with our injury history as a team.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He won’t be there at 13 anyway unless Ballard trades up which I’m not expecting him to do.

 

Whoever drafts him is taking a big risk due to his injury history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to David Chow speak on him. Essentially, this injury at best, involves a shortened career because of the lack of blood flow to the injured area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

At least now, he gets NFL doctors, and NFL dollars should he get hurt. He's basically going to get paid all next season to "rehab" with some of the best docs in the country.

 

I'm not sure if they are the best docs in the country honestly.  I'm more and more convinced that team docs are paid to get you back out on the field, not paid to worry about your long term health.  

 

My thinking was more along the lines that he is likely still a 1st round pick, and likely a top 5 pick.  Another major injury would probably push him into the 2nd round and there is very little chance that he moves himself up to the #1 overall pick because Lawrence is a better talent.  Even if he does move himself up to the #1 overall, the gain there would be about 6 million dollars verses the loss of about 23.3 million to fall to 34 overall (Where we got Rock Ya Sin)

 

Why bet $23.3 Million to get $6 million?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I'm not sure if they are the best docs in the country honestly.  I'm more and more convinced that team docs are paid to get you back out on the field, not paid to worry about your long term health.  

 

My thinking was more along the lines that he is likely still a 1st round pick, and likely a top 5 pick.  Another major injury would probably push him into the 2nd round and there is very little chance that he moves himself up to the #1 overall pick because Lawrence is a better talent.  Even if he does move himself up to the #1 overall, the gain there would be about 6 million dollars verses the loss of about 23.3 million to fall to 34 overall (Where we got Rock Ya Sin)

 

Why bet $23.3 Million to get $6 million?

TL is better, and JF is likely better, so he'd have been 3rd or 4th next year (Daniels is trending up). 

 

On the docs, nah.... Can't speak for all the NFL docs, but I've known 2 in my years. The ones I've talked to are risk averse, as are the teams. Double and triple checking given the environment the last 10 years with CTEs. Players are more inclined to lie, than docs trying to push them into action. That's not to say that docs don't try to get the guys game ready though, as that's their job. 

 

And to add, with QBs, they are very cautious, especially the starters and highly drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

His injury history is awfully scary 

I think he will be ok

 

In the NFL, he wont be asked to be also a RB

 

They will make him a pocket passer more so than he is today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

TL is better, and JF is likely better, so he'd have been 3rd or 4th next year (Daniels is trending up). 

 

On the docs, nah.... Can't speak for all the NFL docs, but I've known 2 in my years. The ones I've talked to are risk averse, as are the teams. Double and triple checking given the environment the last 10 years with CTEs. Players are more inclined to lie, than docs trying to push them into action. That's not to say that docs don't try to get the guys game ready though, as that's their job. 

 

And to add, with QBs, they are very cautious, especially the starters and highly drafted.

I agree.    Also, I assume the team that drafts him will not require him to play in the 2020 season unless he is fully healed and the current QB doesn't have them in playoff contention.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok college player experts help me out...

 

If he didtn have this injury is he a franchise QB?

Im not a big college fan but Alabama QB's scare me. I cant think of one thats translated to the NFL. If Tua never had the injury does he translate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.    Also, I assume the team that drafts him will not require him to play in the 2020 season unless he is fully healed and the current QB doesn't have them in playoff contention.   

Yup, doubt he sees the field at all this year. 

Really thought Miami would take him, but seeing more and more mocks with Miami waiting till next year for a QB. I could see LAC taking him and letting him sit behind Rivers, but I think they also really like Herbert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Ok college player experts help me out...

 

If he didtn have this injury is he a franchise QB?

Im not a big college fan but Alabama QB's scare me. I cant think of one thats translated to the NFL. If Tua never had the injury does he translate?

He's a good prospect, but has struggled vs top competition, and has been injury prone (which is my biggest concern. Also doesn't have ideal size. Great kid though, and checks all the leadership/character boxes.

 

In short... Could be good, but also could bust or get injured a bunch... 50/50 to me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After Ballard's presser, I've just got the hunch that he's going to roll with Brissett and not force himself to pick a QB prospect no matter the case. I'm kinda leaning towards that in a way as well. I could see Ballard eye balling some DT talent at #13 to bolster the D-Line a bit more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

He won’t be there at 13 anyway unless Ballard trades up which I’m not expecting him to do.

 

Whoever drafts him is taking a big risk due to his injury history. 

I personally don't see Ballard reaching for him due to his injury history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

After Ballard's presser, I've just got the hunch that he's going to roll with Brissett and not force himself to pick a QB prospect no matter the case. I'm kinda leaning towards that in a way as well. I could see Ballard eye balling some DT talent at #13 to bolster the D-Line a bit more.

He absolutely won’t reach. But that doesn’t mean if he loves a guy he is going to pass on them. If he thinks the next guy is there he will take him. That is the number one priority.  So it will come down to how he grades the QB. IF he has a second round grade he will take a chance and wait until the second. If a first round grades QB is there they are in love with that will be the pick. I think ballard was pretty clear in his presser.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

After Ballard's presser, I've just got the hunch that he's going to roll with Brissett and not force himself to pick a QB prospect no matter the case. I'm kinda leaning towards that in a way as well. I could see Ballard eye balling some DT talent at #13 to bolster the D-Line a bit more.

Would be ecstatic with hopefully getting Derrick Brown at 13. If Jordan Love is still there at the top of round 2 and Ballard and Reich really like him it's the icing on the cake.  Getting WR Justin Jefferson at 44 would make the first 3 picks a home run for Ballard. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird things happen in the draft and if he’s there in the high 20s, say the Chiefs are picking and he has dropped that far, though highly unlikely, I’d trade up for him to get him to rehab for a year and pick up the fifth year option (probably cost us No.34 and a fourth probably there). The risk would be worth reward later in Round 1 with him, much like Jaylon Smith but should rehabilitation go slow, we’ve the fifth year option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Ok college player experts help me out...

 

If he didtn have this injury is he a franchise QB?

Im not a big college fan but Alabama QB's scare me. I cant think of one thats translated to the NFL. If Tua never had the injury does he translate?

The guy is very accurate with a quick release.......

 

That translates to the NFL

 

I imagine he will go well before our pick, and too far to trade for

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Would be ecstatic with hopefully getting Derrick Brown at 13. If Jordan Love is still there at the top of round 2 and Ballard and Reich really like him it's the icing on the cake.  Getting WR Justin Jefferson at 44 would make the first 3 picks a home run for Ballard. 

 

Me too. Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw would make me happy. If we are going to roll with JB for 1 more year, having that 5th year option would be nice, so I'd like us to get Jordan Love to account for that red shirt year. Other teams would probably be thinking of the same thing though.

 

If Justin Jefferson does last till 44, I'd be ecstatic, it'd be like A J Brown falling to No.49 last year, and I'd be happy if Ballard pulls the trigger there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Would be ecstatic with hopefully getting Derrick Brown at 13. If Jordan Love is still there at the top of round 2 and Ballard and Reich really like him it's the icing on the cake.  Getting WR Justin Jefferson at 44 would make the first 3 picks a home run for Ballard. 

This would be a grand slam, but Brown will almost certainly be gone before the Colts pick. Kinlaw, though, will likely be available, and he's a stud as well. Love and Jefferson could easily be there at 34 and 44. Kinlaw Love and Jefferson is a terrific consolation prize. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Ok college player experts help me out...

 

If he didtn have this injury is he a franchise QB?

Im not a big college fan but Alabama QB's scare me. I cant think of one thats translated to the NFL. If Tua never had the injury does he translate?

 

Injury history is a big concern, Tua does not do a good job of protecting himself.  However, he delivers the ball accurately and on time.  Two very sought after traits in todays NFL.  The most recent QB from Alabama to make an NFL roster is McCarron I believe, but he is not as good a prospect as Tua.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is why it is not going to happen: 

 

Our last three franchise QBs have been lost to injury. Peyton wasn’t lost TO injury but he was lost because of injury. And the truth is a lot of people who followed the team at that time turned their back because of what happened with Peyton and how we cut him for the shiny new QB. 
 

Who we then lost to injury some years later. 
 

I don’t see Irsay being keen to take a chance on a guy coming off of an injury where he may never be the same again, and could be one hit away from being done like the last guy. Irsay keeps a sensitive finger on the pulse of the fan base. I don’t think he’s going to be ok with potentially losing a third franchise QB in a row to injury. That’s going to cause a lot of the casual fans to lapse interest in the franchise for a sense of hopelessness and churning as a mediocre or worse franchise. 
 

The Pacers are STILL trying to build the kind of fandom they had in the Reggie Miller era to this day. These regional fans can be harsh. That’s why Irsay is writing these personal public apologies after every season. He doesn’t want people to lose hope and interest. 
 

Beyond that I don’t think Ballard is the kind to be comfortable taking this kind of risk. 
 

I really don’t see us taking this risk, but that’s just me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, @NFLfan.  Odd that Tua would thank and honor someone as selfish and all about himself as Nick Saban, and Tua's brother is still playing there.  What are Tua and his brother's parents thinking?

 

ENoYCFNWsAU6pTd.jpg:large

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

There is good odds that someone will trade up with Washington, the Giants, or the Lions in order to jump the Dolphins.  In fact the Dolphins might have to spend some capital to trade up themselves just to avoid getting jumped.  

 

He is making the right decision for himself.  You can always go back to college to finish your degree.  But that multi million dollar pay-day might not be there next year.  He takes another major injury and he likely falls to the 2nd round. 

 

 

I think love, burrow,  Hubert and tua may all be gone by the 13th pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Hey, @NFLfan.  Odd that Tua would thank and honor someone as selfish and all about himself as Nick Saban, and Tua's brother is still playing there.  What are Tua and his brother's parents thinking?

 

ENoYCFNWsAU6pTd.jpg:large

 

It is the classy move to do. It looks good. Good for Tua. I'd probably do the same. 

 

Happy New Year!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dolphins had represenitives at his press conference, he won't fall beyond #5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think you'd have seen Ryan Tannehill play with passion for Titans, he has his limitations but he played with willpower to win, he elevated other players who had accepted their team as below average for past 4 years of Mariota, he played perfect complementary game for a great RB, he played for his team and not for his stats, he played with a point to prove after being discarded in the league, he made plays to win against tough teams with unbelievably better talent like Chiefs, Ravens and Patriots among other games during a great comeback into the playoffs.    That's the kind of QB you need to start building everything around him with a goal to win SB.    Yeah, he was one of the other 25, just one example, I'd happily trade for.    The above explained were all intangibles that Cousins doesn't have unfortunately, and he would get blame on so many other players and coaches, other position units (just as you said) and franchises throughout his career for his lack of those intangibles, which make for a successful QB.    I'm sure you would continue to blame Vikings defense (!) for all the rest of the years of Cousins in Minnesota along with all other position groups like OL and other external factors like coaching, game plan, injuries,....   I'd continue to expect at least one full season from Cousins the way Tannehill played for Titans where no one needed to point fingers at anyone even in defeat because they know they all gave their best! 
    • Good point about McCarthy. Dugger it is.   With the 67th pick of the Gavin Mock Draft, The Dallas Cowboys select:   Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir Rhyme   The New York Jets and @John Hammonds are on the clock till 4 pm ET
    • Kevin Call (The Creature), was really tall in his day. They didn't keep 'passes batted down' back then. He was 6'7" 302
    • Given McCarthys offensive history, I wouldnt say TE is as big an issue to him. My vote would be Dugger
  • Members

    • TonyBungee

      TonyBungee 210

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 9,873

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Hammer

      Hammer 258

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dodsworth

      dodsworth 1,112

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 254

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jvan1973

      jvan1973 18,165

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ThinBlueLineColts

      ThinBlueLineColts 40

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chad72

      chad72 11,312

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bertjones7

      bertjones7 127

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fisticuffs111

      Fisticuffs111 2,400

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...