Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tua to Enter 2020 Draft

Tua Tagovailoa to enter 2020 NFL Draft:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/06/tua-tagovailoa-to-enter-2020-nfl-draft/

Tua Tagovailoa called it a “difficult time,” but he’s about to be comforted by the warm embrace of professional football.

The Alabama quarterback just announced that he was declaring for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Alabama coach Nick Saban said he “has probably had as much of an impact on our program as any player we’ve ever had,” and at a school like Alabama, that’s saying something.

Now comes the question of when he’ll be drafted...

...If you work from the safe assumption that LSU quarterback Joe Burrow will go first overall to the Bengals, the rest of the top 10 creates some interesting possibilities.

Washington (picking second) and the Giants (fourth) just drafted quarterbacks in the first round last year, so they’re ostensibly out.

The Lions (third) have a lot of money tied up in Matthew Stafford, who was playing incredibly well before a back injury sidelined him the second half of the season.

The Dolphins (fifth) were the usual suspect back when Tagovailoa was still healthy and everyone thought they’d be picking higher, and they could provide a soft place to land.

The Chargers (sixth) and Panthers (seventh) could also make an easy case for drafting a quarterback this year as well.

• Like 1

There is good odds that someone will trade up with Washington, the Giants, or the Lions in order to jump the Dolphins.  In fact the Dolphins might have to spend some capital to trade up themselves just to avoid getting jumped.  

He is making the right decision for himself.  You can always go back to college to finish your degree.  But that multi million dollar pay-day might not be there next year.  He takes another major injury and he likely falls to the 2nd round. 

34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

not shocked....

it was the only smart move both health wise, and financially.

Healthwise the only smart move would be to never play football again. 

Financially however it was the only smart move.  Pretty much all risk and zero reward in staying.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Healthwise the only smart move would be to never play football again. 

Financially however it was the only smart move.  Pretty much all risk and zero reward in staying.  

At least now, he gets NFL doctors, and NFL dollars should he get hurt. He's basically going to get paid all next season to "rehab" with some of the best docs in the country.

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good news for the Colts.   It'll allow 1 more QB to drop a bit.  

I was thinking it allows 1 more WR, or DT or OT to drop (to our #13)

i’m no expert, but it seems Burrough, Tua, and Herbert could go before our #13.  I also seem to hear the rest of the QBs should be later.  It does potentially push a QB down and alot relies to team’s views of the QBs, i realize.  

who knows, but bottom line is IF Tua is taken before our #13, yes, it is a good thing. But Im starting to think SD will grab Herbert.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I was thinking it allows 1 more WR, or DT or OT to drop (to our #13)

i’m no expert, but it seems Burrough, Tua, and Herbert could go before our #13.  I also seem to hear the rest of the QBs should be later.  It does potentially push a QB down and alot relies to team’s views of the QBs, i realize.  

who knows, but bottom line is IF Tua is taken before our #13, yes, it is a good thing. But Im starting to think SD will grab Herbert.  

It’s also possible Chargers take Love. I think he is going to rise and he is a California kid.

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

At least now, he gets NFL doctors, and NFL dollars should he get hurt. He's basically going to get paid all next season to "rehab" with some of the best docs in the country.

I'm not sure if they are the best docs in the country honestly.  I'm more and more convinced that team docs are paid to get you back out on the field, not paid to worry about your long term health.  

My thinking was more along the lines that he is likely still a 1st round pick, and likely a top 5 pick.  Another major injury would probably push him into the 2nd round and there is very little chance that he moves himself up to the #1 overall pick because Lawrence is a better talent.  Even if he does move himself up to the #1 overall, the gain there would be about 6 million dollars verses the loss of about 23.3 million to fall to 34 overall (Where we got Rock Ya Sin)

Why bet $23.3 Million to get $6 million?

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not sure if they are the best docs in the country honestly.  I'm more and more convinced that team docs are paid to get you back out on the field, not paid to worry about your long term health.  

My thinking was more along the lines that he is likely still a 1st round pick, and likely a top 5 pick.  Another major injury would probably push him into the 2nd round and there is very little chance that he moves himself up to the #1 overall pick because Lawrence is a better talent.  Even if he does move himself up to the #1 overall, the gain there would be about 6 million dollars verses the loss of about 23.3 million to fall to 34 overall (Where we got Rock Ya Sin)

Why bet $23.3 Million to get $6 million?

TL is better, and JF is likely better, so he'd have been 3rd or 4th next year (Daniels is trending up). 

On the docs, nah.... Can't speak for all the NFL docs, but I've known 2 in my years. The ones I've talked to are risk averse, as are the teams. Double and triple checking given the environment the last 10 years with CTEs. Players are more inclined to lie, than docs trying to push them into action. That's not to say that docs don't try to get the guys game ready though, as that's their job. 

And to add, with QBs, they are very cautious, especially the starters and highly drafted.

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

TL is better, and JF is likely better, so he'd have been 3rd or 4th next year (Daniels is trending up). 

On the docs, nah.... Can't speak for all the NFL docs, but I've known 2 in my years. The ones I've talked to are risk averse, as are the teams. Double and triple checking given the environment the last 10 years with CTEs. Players are more inclined to lie, than docs trying to push them into action. That's not to say that docs don't try to get the guys game ready though, as that's their job. 

And to add, with QBs, they are very cautious, especially the starters and highly drafted.

I agree.    Also, I assume the team that drafts him will not require him to play in the 2020 season unless he is fully healed and the current QB doesn't have them in playoff contention.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.    Also, I assume the team that drafts him will not require him to play in the 2020 season unless he is fully healed and the current QB doesn't have them in playoff contention.   

Yup, doubt he sees the field at all this year. 

Really thought Miami would take him, but seeing more and more mocks with Miami waiting till next year for a QB. I could see LAC taking him and letting him sit behind Rivers, but I think they also really like Herbert.

7 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Ok college player experts help me out...

If he didtn have this injury is he a franchise QB?

Im not a big college fan but Alabama QB's scare me. I cant think of one thats translated to the NFL. If Tua never had the injury does he translate?

He's a good prospect, but has struggled vs top competition, and has been injury prone (which is my biggest concern. Also doesn't have ideal size. Great kid though, and checks all the leadership/character boxes.

In short... Could be good, but also could bust or get injured a bunch... 50/50 to me.

• Thanks 1

After Ballard's presser, I've just got the hunch that he's going to roll with Brissett and not force himself to pick a QB prospect no matter the case. I'm kinda leaning towards that in a way as well. I could see Ballard eye balling some DT talent at #13 to bolster the D-Line a bit more.

2 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

He won’t be there at 13 anyway unless Ballard trades up which I’m not expecting him to do.

Whoever drafts him is taking a big risk due to his injury history. 

I personally don't see Ballard reaching for him due to his injury history. 

7 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

After Ballard's presser, I've just got the hunch that he's going to roll with Brissett and not force himself to pick a QB prospect no matter the case. I'm kinda leaning towards that in a way as well. I could see Ballard eye balling some DT talent at #13 to bolster the D-Line a bit more.

He absolutely won’t reach. But that doesn’t mean if he loves a guy he is going to pass on them. If he thinks the next guy is there he will take him. That is the number one priority.  So it will come down to how he grades the QB. IF he has a second round grade he will take a chance and wait until the second. If a first round grades QB is there they are in love with that will be the pick. I think ballard was pretty clear in his presser.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Would be ecstatic with hopefully getting Derrick Brown at 13. If Jordan Love is still there at the top of round 2 and Ballard and Reich really like him it's the icing on the cake.  Getting WR Justin Jefferson at 44 would make the first 3 picks a home run for Ballard. 

• Like 2

Weird things happen in the draft and if he’s there in the high 20s, say the Chiefs are picking and he has dropped that far, though highly unlikely, I’d trade up for him to get him to rehab for a year and pick up the fifth year option (probably cost us No.34 and a fourth probably there). The risk would be worth reward later in Round 1 with him, much like Jaylon Smith but should rehabilitation go slow, we’ve the fifth year option.

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Im not a big college fan but Alabama QB's scare me. I cant think of one thats translated to the NFL. If Tua never had the injury does he translate?

The guy is very accurate with a quick release.......

That translates to the NFL

I imagine he will go well before our pick, and too far to trade for

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Would be ecstatic with hopefully getting Derrick Brown at 13. If Jordan Love is still there at the top of round 2 and Ballard and Reich really like him it's the icing on the cake.  Getting WR Justin Jefferson at 44 would make the first 3 picks a home run for Ballard. 

Me too. Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw would make me happy. If we are going to roll with JB for 1 more year, having that 5th year option would be nice, so I'd like us to get Jordan Love to account for that red shirt year. Other teams would probably be thinking of the same thing though.

If Justin Jefferson does last till 44, I'd be ecstatic, it'd be like A J Brown falling to No.49 last year, and I'd be happy if Ballard pulls the trigger there.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

This would be a grand slam, but Brown will almost certainly be gone before the Colts pick. Kinlaw, though, will likely be available, and he's a stud as well. Love and Jefferson could easily be there at 34 and 44. Kinlaw Love and Jefferson is a terrific consolation prize. 

3 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Injury history is a big concern, Tua does not do a good job of protecting himself.  However, he delivers the ball accurately and on time.  Two very sought after traits in todays NFL.  The most recent QB from Alabama to make an NFL roster is McCarron I believe, but he is not as good a prospect as Tua.

• Like 1

Here is why it is not going to happen: 

Our last three franchise QBs have been lost to injury. Peyton wasn’t lost TO injury but he was lost because of injury. And the truth is a lot of people who followed the team at that time turned their back because of what happened with Peyton and how we cut him for the shiny new QB. 

Who we then lost to injury some years later. 

I don’t see Irsay being keen to take a chance on a guy coming off of an injury where he may never be the same again, and could be one hit away from being done like the last guy. Irsay keeps a sensitive finger on the pulse of the fan base. I don’t think he’s going to be ok with potentially losing a third franchise QB in a row to injury. That’s going to cause a lot of the casual fans to lapse interest in the franchise for a sense of hopelessness and churning as a mediocre or worse franchise. 

The Pacers are STILL trying to build the kind of fandom they had in the Reggie Miller era to this day. These regional fans can be harsh. That’s why Irsay is writing these personal public apologies after every season. He doesn’t want people to lose hope and interest. 

Beyond that I don’t think Ballard is the kind to be comfortable taking this kind of risk. 

I really don’t see us taking this risk, but that’s just me. 

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

There is good odds that someone will trade up with Washington, the Giants, or the Lions in order to jump the Dolphins.  In fact the Dolphins might have to spend some capital to trade up themselves just to avoid getting jumped.  

He is making the right decision for himself.  You can always go back to college to finish your degree.  But that multi million dollar pay-day might not be there next year.  He takes another major injury and he likely falls to the 2nd round. 

I think love, burrow,  Hubert and tua may all be gone by the 13th pick

13 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Hey, @NFLfan.  Odd that Tua would thank and honor someone as selfish and all about himself as Nick Saban, and Tua's brother is still playing there.  What are Tua and his brother's parents thinking?

ENoYCFNWsAU6pTd.jpg:large

It is the classy move to do. It looks good. Good for Tua. I'd probably do the same. 

Happy New Year!

• Like 1