Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many quarterbacks selected before pick 13?

How many quarterback selected before pick 13?   

57 members have voted

1. 1. How many QBs selected before pick 13?

Eyes will be on the Dolphins and Chargers. One of them will take Tu’a. But who?

The Dolphins got a lot of extra draft capital. Maybe they pass on Tu’a, let the Chargers take him then get Herbert later. I don’t think the Chargers are taking Herbert at 6.

Thats why right now I say 2 QBs before 13. 

Take any mobile, strong-armed QB in the later rounds.  Make him the starter no matter what.  Use all the team's higher/otherdraft picks to go BPA in positions of need.  If the kid doesn't work out in the 2020 season, cut him and do the same thing in the 2021 draft.  Build the team and keep drafting a mid-round QB until one hits.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Take any mobile, strong-armed QB in the later rounds.  Make him the starter no matter what.  Use all the team's higher/otherdraft picks to go BPA in positions of need.  If the kid doesn't work out in the 2020 season, cut him and do the same thing in the 2021 draft.  Build the team and keep drafting a mid-round QB until one hits.  

That would be horrible. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Why?  Instead of wasting our highest pick on a player who (as we all know) is as often as not going to disappoint, take the best available and surround a potential good QB with great players.  

Ballard will only take a QB at 13 that he is truly sold on. So that doesn’t bother me.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Mobility includes elusiveness.  Kaep and RGII weren't mobile,  just fast.

A lot of mobile QBs in the NFL succeed simply on athletic trash plays.  No reason we can't either.

When they get injured, just draft another one mid round.

I think I'm understanding this.

What’s everyone definition of mobile QB?

Mobile, to me, means it’s their strength and if you take it away, their a mediocre passer.

Example, being M. Vick.

Being able to extend plays, because of their scrambling ability, doesn’t mean their a mobile QB. JMO though.

Cream of the crop, is R. Wilson. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Right now these will probably be the QB taken first in no order. We will see if Fromm declares. There will be someone there most likely at 13. Question will be do they have a first round grade and how much do they love them. Maybe they don’t like them all. 

Joe Burrow

TUA

Herbert 

Love 

Eason 

Not counting Burrow, my 2 favorites on that list are Love and Eason. The Tua injury situation is just too much of a risk. I am not sold on Herbert, just a gut feeling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Mobile, to me, means it’s their strength and if you take it away, their a mediocre passer.

Example, being M. Vick.

Being able to extend plays, because of their scrambling ability, doesn’t mean their a mobile QB. JMO though.

I would put guys like Vick, Lamar, RG3, and Watson in the mobile category. Those QB's I just named would not be near as good without their legs. I would put guys like Wilson, Benny, and Luck in the great scrambling ability and throwing from the pocket category.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not counting Burrow, my 2 favorites on that list are Love and Eason. The Tua injury situation is just too much of a risk. I am not sold on Herbert, just a gut feeling.

Love seems closer to a starter, but i would ok with Eason as well. It would not surprise me to see CB take Love at 13, if he truly likes him. Because Love will not make it out of the 1st round, Eason may not either

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

Love seems closer to a starter, but i would ok with Eason as well. It would not surprise me to see CB take Love at 13, if he truly likes him. Because Love will not make it out of the 1st round, Eason may not either

Its a no brainer if Ballard has identified him as the guy. I could even see them moving up if they are sold on him to make sure they get him.

Detroit will be one to watch if they take a QB. Also keep a eye on Tampa and Oakland trying to move up. Colts have the draft capital along with Oakland to move up.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ira a no brainer if Ballard has identified him as the guy. I could even see them moving up if they are sold on him to make sure they get him.

I think alot will hinge on the senior bowl, CB seems to favor heavily on the performance there. But i dont know if Love is playing in it

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think 3 for sure. Burrow, TUA, Herbert. Jury is out whether the panthers and chargers draft a QB. 

I saw this tweet and cant confirm if it was a joke or serious. He said the bengals are thinking about drafting chase young and then trading back up for TUA. That would be crazy.

Not really .  Chase is more of a sure thing.  He has the tape.  Burrows had one great year. I am very leary of signing free agents or drafting a  player on one great year. It usually doesnt work out. Now trading back in to get The could b not so great of a move

17 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes he is playing.

Do teams get to interview players at the senior bowl?

Actually I think they do but I think it's a more informal process than it is at the combine.  

At the combine you have specific interview times and the player comes in and talks with the team's whole front office.  Each team is only allowed to have so many of those interviews.

I think at the senior bowl the scouts just come up to the players between practices and chat with them a bit.  It's not a situation where they have a formal sit down interview.  Certainly not one where the player it talking to the whole front office.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Funny the colts local media is going around saying if they can’t get one of the top 2 QB there is no other QB worthy of a first round pick. This town has really been spoiled with having their last two QB were number one picks.. They are going around saying no other QB is worthy outside the top 2 picks. 

We had Peyton and Andrew. Two of the greatest QB prospects in draft history. Majority of the fan base is conditioned to think that unless you get one of those types, it’s not worth drafting one in the 1st. And I get it. Historically the Colts have never been a team that’s really had to search for an answer at QB the way other teams do (taking chances on guys who aren’t labeled as sure things). I agree with you. It’s high time the fan base comes down off their arrogance and accept the Colts having to search for a QB just like everyone else. Football gods blessed us for two decades, but now it’s our turn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

So are the lions really interested in TUA or are they trying to get someone to trade up so they get more picks. I can see either thing happening.

If the Lions take Tua I can see a lot of teams trying to trade for Stafford.  The Colts being one of them if we do nothing to address the position before the draft.   

• Like 1

I voted 5. 

Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Eason, and Love.

Everybody want the next Mahomes.  So any QB with escapability and a strong arm will get tremendously overvalued.

And the combine will only add to the aura of these guys being physical specimens propping them up more.

Colts get shut out. 

Raiders trade up even higher to secure Love.

Edit: just saw the Lions rumors.  So many years of Stafford not getting them anywhere....it must be because of his lack of escapability, LOL.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I voted 5.  Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Eason, and Love.

Everybody want the Mahomes.  So anybody with escapability and a strong arm will get tremendously overvalued.

And the combine will only add to the aura of these guys being physical specimen's, propping them up more.

Colts get shut out. 

Raiders trade up even higher to secure Love.

Edit: just saw the Lions rumors.  So many years of Stafford not getting them anywhere....it must be because of his lack of escapability, LOL.

I don't see the Colts making a move to get one of the top guys so if we somehow manage to get Carr or Stafford in all of the flurry I would be very happy.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If the Lions take Tua I can see a lot of teams trying to trade for Stafford.  The Colts being one of them if we do nothing to address the position before the draft.   

Why would they trade Stafford. . By all accounts TUA will need to sit a year with that injury. At least they wouldn’t trade him this year.

I don’t think it’s given Panthers or chargers take a QB. Chargers have Tyrod Taylor who has had some success in the nfl. They have major oline concerns they really need to address. They might put it off. Carolina has a new coach and I could see them sticking with cam for a year while the new coach gets settled in. I actually think we need a QB more then either of those two teams.. Oakland is the one that could move up but how do they pass if a WR like lamb is there when they need help at WR really bad.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Funny the colts local media is going around saying if they can’t get one of the top 2 QB there is no other QB worthy of a first round pick. This town has really been spoiled with having their last two QB were number one picks.. They are going around saying no other QB is worthy outside the top 2 picks. 

Not really weak class after Burrow and Tua imo who else do you have with a first round grade .

On 1/6/2020 at 2:18 PM, MPStack said:

Example, being M. Vick.

I don't think having escapability is the issue. 

I think its the replacement of good pocket passing skills with the ability to extend a play and find a receiver a defense lost in the frenzy.  The latter being the main way of making big plays.  The idea that when Wilson or Mahomes can't move well , they're only average to above average.

Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben, etc are great regardless of their mobility.

Why would they trade Stafford. . By all accounts TUA will need to sit a year with that injury. At least they wouldn’t trade him this year.

I think if the Lions take Tua that means they feel he can start this year.  The NFL doctors already said everything looks good with his surgery and rehab.  Sitting out an entire year is a long time for a high draft pick.  So I don't think they would take him that high and not start him.  They would need to be convinced he would be ready to go.  If it appears his recovery is going to take a lot of time then I think he will fall down the draft board.  QBs that are drafted one or two are usually given the job right away.  That's what I'm expecting this year with Burrows and Tua if he goes two or three.  JMO. 

I don’t think it’s given Panthers or chargers take a QB. Chargers have Tyrod Taylor who has had some success in the nfl. They have major oline concerns they really need to address. They might put it off. Carolina has a new coach and I could see them sticking with cam for a year while the new coach gets settled in. I actually think we need a QB more then either of those two teams.. Oakland is the one that could move up but how do they pass if a WR like lamb is there when they need help at WR really bad.

I agree on the Panthers, but LAC will take Herbert if available at their pick. Taylor won't be their guy. I think Rhule might want to give Cam a year to see how things go. Carolina will be very patient with Rhule, so doubt he will be in a rush to fix it all right away.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree on the Panthers, but LAC will take Herbert if available at their pick. Taylor won't be their guy. I think Rhule might want to give Cam a year to see how things go. Carolina will be very patient with Rhule, so doubt he will be in a rush to fix it all right away.

Yes on Carolina. I think he will probably need a year to really access what their team needs are. I haven’t read anything but sounds like with that big of a contract they might be giving him some control in who is drafted. I don’t think it would be smart for him to just draft a QB without him seeing everyone playing in person. Going to be a interesting draft. Something surprising always happens. Remember last year the raiders to Ferrell when they could of had Allen. That’s why I don’t rule out Lions taking a QB.

Love is a California kid so I wouldn’t rule out him to the chargers either.