Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building a team like the Titans, Bills,

Dacoltsboi

I strongly believe Ballard wants to mirror a team with a strong defense, strong rushing attack and an above average QB/passing. This is more feasible than drafting the next Rodgers or Brees or Manning. 

I still think Brissett takes a leap this year and improves. If ballard can spend early draft capital and FA on defense, weapons, we should be in much better state than trying to draft a QB early and hoping he develops into something great.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i doubt they win it all , will probably go to a team with an mvp caliber qb this year

Bills are out and I dont think the Titans will win either, but it's not impossible. Its definitely possible to win  without a MVP caliber QB. Its easier than finding a MVP caliber QB.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Can’t believe I read that we need to build a team like the Titans. No offense, but I think we’re the better team. Just need to make those kicks and stay healthy. 

Yeah no doubt,  i agree with you. Like I said- a few kicks and plays away from 10-6. But titans are built on-

1)defense

2)running game

Ballard wants that but he always wants an improved passing game. If we can shore up our defense and imrpove our passing game-we're going to be killers.

We ended up 7-9. We lost one game, LAC, because we couldn't make FGs or PATs. We lost to Pittsburgh because our starting QB got knocked out of the game while driving for a TD to go up double digits and our backup came in and immediately threw a pick six. Then as the clock wound down our kicker again couldn't make a chip shot FG to win the game. We lost to Miami because our kicker missed a PAT and our backup QB (not JB) couldn't get a first down in the red zone at the end of the game. We lost our second game to TN because again our kicker couldn't make FGs and our special teams couldn't provide protection which allowed a block FG returned for a TD and TN to come back from a double digit deficit. Speaking of which our defense gave up three double digit leads in the late third quarter/fourth quarter. Beat LAC in regulation, beat Pittsburgh and Miami with our starting QB and a decent kicker, and hold on to one of our three double digit leads and instead of being 7-9 we are 11-5, AFC South champs and still playing.

I know the popular wisdom here is that JB is dog poop and shouldn't be allowed back in the complex, and that ANY QB is better just by not being him. And for the record I have my doubts about JB and think he has a lot of work to do to become an effective QB week in and week out, but the hate you see on this site for this guy is embarrassing and honestly a little suspect. The JB haters can always spin anything to prove how worthless he is, but he led a game tying drive at LA only to have the kicking game fail us. He was winning when he left the Pittsburgh game, didn't even play against Miami and had a solid TD to Int. ratio for the season. And then there was that highlight film Houdini move and pass against Denver that saved that game.  

Lastly would have we been better if AL doesn't retire? Sure, but would our kicking woes have cost a couple of games even with Andrew on the field? Very possibly. Regardless he isn't coming back, hopefully neither is Hoyer, and no CK is not destined for the hall of fame or taking us to the SB. We may see a better QB next year under center. It may be a new face, it may be an improved JB. I'll trust the management to make that decision, but without a decent kicking game and a defense that can close out games, it may not matter much. 

On a more positive note. If last night was Tom Brady's last game it couldn't have ended better for Colts fans. Losing in Foxboro, to a team that we beat, by throwing an interception on what might be the last possession and last pass of his career. Maybe there is a God.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FRW said:

We ended up 7-9. We lost one game, LAC, because we couldn't make FGs or PATs. We lost to Pittsburgh because our starting QB got knocked out of the game while driving for a TD to go up double digits and our backup came in and immediately threw a pick six. Then as the clock wound down our kicker again couldn't make a chip shot FG to win the game. We lost to Miami because our kicker missed a PAT and our backup QB (not JB) couldn't get a first down in the red zone at the end of the game. We lost our second game to TN because again our kicker couldn't make FGs and our special teams couldn't provide protection which allowed a block FG returned for a TD and TN to come back from a double digit deficit. Speaking of which our defense gave up three double digit leads in the late third quarter/fourth quarter. Beat LAC in regulation, beat Pittsburgh and Miami with our starting QB and a decent kicker, and hold on to one of our three double digit leads and instead of being 7-9 we are 11-5, AFC South champs and still playing.

I know the popular wisdom here is that JB is dog poop and shouldn't be allowed back in the complex, and that ANY QB is better just by not being him. And for the record I have my doubts about JB and think he has a lot of work to do to become an effective QB week in and week out, but the hate you see on this site for this guy is embarrassing and honestly a little suspect. The JB haters can always spin anything to prove how worthless he is, but he led a game tying drive at LA only to have the kicking game fail us. He was winning when he left the Pittsburgh game, didn't even play against Miami and had a solid TD to Int. ratio for the season. And then there was that highlight film Houdini move and pass against Denver that saved that game.  

Lastly would have we been better if AL doesn't retire? Sure, but would our kicking woes have cost a couple of games even with Andrew on the field? Very possibly. Regardless he isn't coming back, hopefully neither is Hoyer, and no CK is not destined for the hall of fame or taking us to the SB. We may see a better QB next year under center. It may be a new face, it may be an improved JB. I'll trust the management to make that decision, but without a decent kicking game and a defense that can close out games, it may not matter much. 

On a more positive note. If last night was Tom Brady's last game it couldn't have ended better for Colts fans. Losing in Foxboro, to a team that we beat, by throwing an interception on what might be the last possession and last pass of his career. Maybe there is a God.

I agree we could have  been 10 and 6.  However if u wanted to break down every game, we could have been a 4 and 12 as we won games early on by a slim margin. Every team can break down every game can say they could have had a better record.  The problem is that the Colts were 7 and 9 and a below average team.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Bills use a fullback so do the Patriots and Vikings.  Maybe that's a way to improve our run game even more.  Playoff teams are using them.  

I tried to argue that earlier and got shut down because we can always use Jack Doyle as a TE. 

Nevermind the fact that Doyle has his own job to do if we're trying to run block, or that a lot of teams use 2 tights and a FB on the same play, or that Reich was desperate enough to try Q as a fullback even when we still had Doyle and Cain :p

Frankly the team that Reich wants to build is perfectly suited for a FB.  But we've been so used to the air based game that people are struggling to truly process the new era of Colts football Reich is trying to bring about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

jacoby needs to go he is scared to take the deep shot and when he does once in a blue moon its 10 yards over thrown 

What we saw from Jacoby this season is who he is. Do you expect him to come into camp a different Quarterback after having the entire offseason to work on being a better Quarterback? I don't! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I still believe we need a QB and an elite RB. Look at the Titans.

I'm not so sure Tanehill is the savior just yet. Last year nobody wanted him, all of a sudden he's great??

Good defense and a good run game help tremendously.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I still believe we need a QB and an elite RB. Look at the Titans.

And a defense. 

I don't think we'll be able to build like any other current play off team without starting again completely.

We're built around out O-Line (specifically the interior) and a super productive Will linebacker. We've set off down a path off using our resources that isn't really replicated by any of the play off teams.

18 minutes ago, IinD said:

I'm not so sure Tanehill is the savior just yet. Last year nobody wanted him, all of a sudden he's great??

Good defense and a good run game help tremendously.

I would take him over JB.  He's a solid QB but he was with a bad franchise.  He's clearly flourishing with the Titans right now.  No way they would have made the playoffs and beaten the Pats without him.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I would take him over JB.  He's a solid QB but he was with a bad franchise.  He's clearly flourishing with the Titans right now.  No way they would have made the playoffs and beaten the Pats without him.  

Not saying he wasn't, but I'm tired of all the Tanehill is great talk. Nobody wanted him. He threw for less than 100 yesterday. Jacoby gets called the worst QB ever with better numbers usually. Not saying JB is anything special, but people gotta pump the brakes on Tanehill.

Whoever signs him for big money will end up regretting it if he isn't on a stacked team.

6 minutes ago, IinD said:

Not saying he wasn't, but I'm tired of all the Tanehill is great talk. Nobody wanted him. He threw for less than 100 yesterday. Jacoby gets called the worst QB ever with better numbers usually. Not saying JB is anything special, but people gotta pump the brakes on Tanehill.

Whoever signs him for big money will end up regretting it if he isn't on a stacked team.

Tannehill did exactly what Vrabel wanted him to do.

3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Tannehill did exactly what Vrabel wanted him to do.

That's fine, but he's not this great QB that some are making him out to be.

70 yards passing with a 60 rating and people would be killing JB. 

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

I agree. An above average QB with the Titans would have blown out the Patriots last night. Henry had so many yards and carries because they needed to limit Tannehill. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

I agree. An above average QB with the Titans would have blown out the Patriots last night. Henry had so many yards and carries because they needed to limit Tannehill. 

Thank you. That's all I was trying to say.

I even had some friends saying WHOA Colts in trouble for the next few years with Tanehill. Stop...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Thank you. That's all I was trying to say.

I even had some friends saying WHOA Colts in trouble for the next few years with Tanehill. Stop...

Yeah, let’s see how he and the Titans fare against the Ravens next weekend. That might quiet a few of those friends.

55 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

The dude was an 8th overall pick and played on a VERY dysfunctional team.  

He was drafted to lead the franchise,  JB was drafted to be a backup , lets be honest.  Funny how Tannehill can turn his game around but , to some, JB is incapable.

The level of panic on this forum is crazy.

I see next year as very different, no matter who is behind center.  I think Ballard has addressed issues with this team, OL and LB being the highlights.  And we wete pretty bad at both.   He will address things again this offseason.  I have faith.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

We have two draft in the first 34 picks, if we get a QB and a beast of a RB I believe we can go back to the playoffs.  The other picks that we have you can trade up to  draft defense, there are still some blue chipper left in the 2nd round and so on....

You’re delusional if you think RB is a need that high

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, IinD said:

I never said he was great.  I just said he was better than JB.  He's played on some pretty bad Miami teams and still managed to put up some decent numbers.  Right now, I'd take him over JB any day.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, IinD said:

NE defense has done this to QBs all season.  If this was the Colts beating the Pats with Tanehill and these stats I'd doubt you'd be complaining. 

4 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

NE defense has done this to QBs all season.  If this was the Colts beating the Pats with Tanehill and these stats I'd doubt you'd be complaining. 

Of course I wouldn't.. Lol. I want my team to win.

But he wasn't good yesterday.

30 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

*reads about the history of the Vikings organization*

tenor.gif

I know, I know. I don’t want their history, 4 straight disappointments including heartbreaking missed kicks. I mean this year’s version. They shut down Drew Brees and showed they have the capabilities to win postseason games.

The current 49ers type of team would also be nice.  

The Vikings are good, but, they have Delvan Cook, unbelievable how good that guy is. Unreal how a guy that size can make people miss as easily as he does. I don't want to turn this into a Brissett sucks thread, but I have to say again if we had just average qb play this Colt team makes the playoffs this year, and the next, and the next...…..