Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A healthy colts team still playing? Luck ?

coltsorioles

In my opinion had the Colts stayed somewhat healthy they would still be playing. Of course it didn't help that Adam Vinietari was terrible and  Jacoby was just average the 2nd half of the season. It's frustrating to see the Texans and titans still playing when I know the Colts are better.   The colts beat 3 of the 4 teams left in the afc when healthy ( 2 on the road)  and they match up well vs Baltimore. Spy Lamar with Leonard.    This is for another topic but I truly believe if Andrew Luck had played they would be the number 2 seed at worse and be one of the favorites to win it all. This team was built and ready to win it all back in the summer.  So what is the solution ??   Obviously staying healthy,  average field goal kicker. Colts missed 15 kicks, opponents missed 1.  And get a consistent starting qb. Jacoby is not the answer. Do we really want rivers, or even Tom Brady. NO.  Derek Carr?  He checks down a lot.  Draft ? Like I said they are ready to win now.   If I am Jim irsay,  I am doing whatever it takes to get Andrew luck to play again. Of course make sure his heart is still in it with passion, but if it is you just get it done. Explain how the team really needs him and rely on him. Even if it's just for 1 year tell him. Get him back in the built all costs. He is a top 5 qb right now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, coltsorioles said:

In my opinion had the Colts stayed somewhat healthy they would still be playing. Of course it didn't help that Adam Vinietari was terrible and  Jacoby was just average the 2nd half of the season. It's frustrating to see the Texans and titans still playing when I know the Colts are better.   The colts beat 3 of the 4 teams left in the afc when healthy ( 2 on the road)  and they match up well vs Baltimore. Spy Lamar with Leonard.    This is for another topic but I truly believe if Andrew Luck had played they would be the number 2 seed at worse and be one of the favorites to win it all. This team was built and ready to win it all back in the summer.  So what is the solution ??   Obviously staying healthy,  average field goal kicker. Colts missed 15 kicks, opponents missed 1.  And get a consistent starting qb. Jacoby is not the answer. Do we really want rivers, or even Tom Brady. NO.  Derek Carr?  He checks down a lot.  Draft ? Like I said they are ready to win now.   If I am Jim irsay,  I am doing whatever it takes to get Andrew luck to play again. Of course make sure his heart is still in it with passion, but if it is you just get it done. Explain how the team really needs him and rely on him. Even if it's just for 1 year tell him. Get him back in the built all costs. He is a top 5 qb right now.

Lots of “what if’s” We were 5-2 midway. Then injury caused this teams demise. I honesty think we’d be just two games better of Luck played. We need to continue to get depth. 

32 minutes ago, coltsorioles said:

Dude give it up. Luck is retired. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

JB had two or three good games all year, the rest were below average or bad

colts were lucky to win as many games as they did

image.png.f58bce56c1c65ddb4dc1e7971ea930e0.png

Here's a quick graph with his rating (y-axis) by week (x-axis, really by game as he played in 15).  

If we said >100 rating was very good, he had 4 very good games (well really 3, because he only played very little against Pitts before getting hurt).

If we say >90 was good, he had another 2 of those games.

If we say >80 was average, he had 1 more of those games.

If we say >75 was below-average, he had 2 more of those games.

If we say <75 was bad, he had 6 of those games.

7 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Here's a quick graph with his rating (y-axis) by week (x-axis, really by game as he played in 15).  

If we said >100 rating was very good, he had 4 very good games (well really 3, because he only played very little against Pitts before getting hurt).

never been a big fan of QB rating, its just pure stats and they dont look at the situation at all

i like pff better and they had him ranked low all year

10 hours ago, aaron11 said:

never been a big fan of QB rating, its just pure stats and they dont look at the situation at all

I'm not really a fan of any specific metric without taking all things into account.  Regardless, the QBR for him seems pretty accurate.  He was very, very good in 2-3 games.  He was bad or very bad in about 6 games.  Then average-ish in about 6 games.

Still not convinced he's our long-term answer.  Also, still not convinced any currently available FA QBs are a better fit for us (maybe a one year thing with some of them -- Carr is the one everyone keeps talking about, but he's not a FA now, the Raiders would either have to cut him or we'd have to trade to get him).  Also, still not convinced any rookie QB (aside from Burrow, who we won't have a shot at without a major trade up) is an improvement over Jacoby off the bat (maybe Fromm, Love, Herbert could surpass him after a year or two of development).  

Regardless of what we do at QB, we need to certainly address the receiving targets they have and improve our WR and TE group over the off-season.

11 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm not really a fan of any specific metric without taking all things into account.  Regardless, the QBR for him seems pretty accurate.  He was very, very good in 2-3 games.  He was bad or very bad in about 6 games.  Then average-ish in about 6 games.

Still not convinced he's our long-term answer.  Also, still not convinced any currently available FA QBs are a better fit for us (maybe a one year thing with some of them -- Carr is the one everyone keeps talking about, but he's not a FA now, the Raiders would either have to cut him or we'd have to trade to get him).  Also, still not convinced any rookie QB (aside from Burrow, who we won't have a shot at without a major trade up) is an improvement over Jacoby off the bat (maybe Fromm, Love, Herbert could surpass him after a year or two of development).  

Regardless of what we do at QB, we need to certainly address the receiving targets they have and improve our WR and TE group over the off-season.

That’s why I don’t think the Colts are going to dump Jacoby.  They are going to have a hard enough time finding one guy better let alone two to replace him as Jacoby is still the best QB on the roster as much as people may not like to hear that.  

Honestly I think people are going to have to be patient.  People want a quick fix to be contending for a Super Bowl next year but I don’t see that.  I think the Colts are going to be a few years away if they get everything right.  

They have other holes to address besides QB.  On top of that I expect them to draft a QB in the 2nd to 4th round and let the kid develop next year behind Jacoby.  Again, I know that’s not what people want to happen but I think that’s what is going to happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why I don’t think the Colts are going to dump Jacoby.  They are going to have a hard enough time finding one guy better let alone two to replace him as Jacoby is still the best QB on the roster as much as people may not like to hear that.  

Honestly I think people are going to have to be patient.  People want a quick fix to be contending for a Super Bowl next year but I don’t see that.  I think the Colts are going to be a few years away if they get everything right.  

They have other holes to address besides QB.  On top of that I expect them to draft a QB in the 2nd to 4th round and let the kid develop next year behind Jacoby.  Again, I know that’s not what people want to happen but I think that’s what is going to happen.

I agree with you here... though, I think we can win the AFC South with Jacoby (and potentially advance in the playoffs).  We were able to beat both HOU and TEN once in the regular season.  They both moved on to the 2nd round.  If we hadn't lost 3 (maybe more) games to kicking, we'd have been in the playoffs with a 9-6-1 or 10-6 record.  

I don't want to blame it all on injuries, but in honesty, Jacoby had very little talent around him for a good chunk of the 2nd half of the season (it did seem like his play fell off, but he also was without TY for a good stretch, without Ebron for a good stretch, without Campbell for a good stretch, and we had lost Funchess and Fountain early in the year -- going into the season our WR depth would have been TY, Funchess, Campbell, Fountain - instead Brissett got to play several games with undrafted guys like Pascal, Rogers, Dulin, etc. as his main weapons).  

If we sure up some major issues on D and give Jacoby a few more reliable targets, I think this team is very capable of getting into the playoffs with Jacoby at the helm.  I don't know that he's the guy to take us to the SB, but he showed this year with a depleted team that he can at least keep us in the playoff hunt.  Unfortunately, I just don't think it's realistic that one of the old FAs or a rookie who will be available when we pick, is going to come in and be much of an improvement over Jacoby in 2020, especially if we don't improve the quality of players we have at the WR and TE positions.

16 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Some of the blame should be on the HC and GM for sticking with an ailing kicker and an incompetent QB. 

Yes and no... don't think there was a QB available to us during the season who would be better than Jacoby (Hoyer certainly wasn't better and he's probably one of the better back up QBs in the league -- and obviously the coaching staff didn't think Kelly was the guy or he would've gotten a shot).  We also tried out kickers for several weeks before putting AV on IR, and he outperformed them all in try-outs.  Let's not forget that McLaughlin was cut by 2 teams and missed a decent number of kicks before he landed with us.  Not for nothing, but there is a reason why guys get cut in the preseason and are not employed by the NFL mid-season, it's usually because they're not good enough to be in the NFL or they've got major off-field issues (Antonio Brown).   Unfortunately, with Luck retiring very shortly before the season, our options to 'upgrade' our QB would have been to try to sign a guy who was cut by another team (who likely wouldn't have been an upgrade) or try to trade for another team's backup (who also probably wouldn't have been an upgrade).  And, at least from reports, we brought in almost all available K's and none of them outperformed Vinny in tryouts -- we had to wait until Chase got cut by San Fran until he was available.... I don't think we can blame this all on the GM and HC.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I think when you are getting into certain specifics I agree.  But I think in just a general rough idea of how Brissett was playing, I think it's useful.  Certainly isn't everything.

My view honestly is that Brissett has some glaring weaknesses that Reich's play calling and offensive design where able to cover for. . . for a while.  However my view is that if your QB has a weakness, you really can't keep it covered forever.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think there are many QB's available who would be better than JB.   Not many are sure things though, so I don't see Ballard making a move.   I think it is a mistake not to move on from JB.  It can't be good for the players to know that the GM doesn't think enough of them to upgrade from a poor QB.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, coltsorioles said:

Well done but I don't think Luck wants in

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I think there are many QB's available who would be better than JB.   Not many are sure things though, so I don't see Ballard making a move.   I think it is a mistake not to move on from JB.  It can't be good for the players to know that the GM doesn't think enough of them to upgrade from a poor QB.

I highly doubt Ballard wants to go into 2021 with no plan at QB. Rolling the dice with JB and potentially missing the playoffs again, while also not being in a position to draft a top rated QB in 2021 is a real possibility too. 

I’m sure Ballard has already pondered this, and realizes if the Colts miss the playoffs and he doesn’t have the QB position addressed, his job can start to become uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think he’s going to make a move in the draft and hopefully whoever he takes will ultimately be better than Brissett but I am not so sure that’s going to be the case on day one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Myles said:

Yep, AV cost us a couple games.   

With Luck, this team would've won 10-12 games.   

AV cost us at least 2 games, Chase cost us at least one game.  With Jacoby and a normal AV, we would've won 10 games (then there are another 2-3 games where kicking played a major factor, so with Jacoby we could've won 12 games).

Luck is a better QB, without a doubt... but this team can still win the AFC South with Jacoby.

12 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

The games Vinatieri lost wouldn't have come down to a kick if Luck was there. I think we win at least 12 if Luck played.

Maybe, maybe not.. Luck was pretty notorious for come-from-behind wins, in large part because he was notorious for starting slow and in several instances he made very bone-headed plays early in games which forced us to need to come back.

We've moved on from Luck now.  Very low chance of him coming back to the NFL.  Whether Jacoby is our QB or not next year, we need to upgrade our DL, we need to add depth and skill to our secondary and we desperately need to add depth and skill to WR and TE.  Unless we somehow pull of signing Brady (who struggled late this year with lack of skill/depth at WR/TE), there isn't a FA or rookie QB who is going to come in and make the team Jacoby played with much better.  There simply isn't.  When you play 3 games without a single guy that was good enough to get drafted at WR or TE (Pascal, Rogers, Johnson, Dulin, Doyle, Alie-Cox all were undrafted -- Doyle's the only one who has ever had better than a below average year), those are almost 3 guaranteed loses regardless of who your QB is (maybe Rodgers, maybe Brady, maybe Mahommes, maybe Wilson could win 1 of those games -- but I'd put money against them every week if that is who their supporting cast was).

9 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

AV cost us at least 2 games, Chase cost us at least one game.  With Jacoby and a normal AV, we would've won 10 games (then there are another 2-3 games where kicking played a major factor, so with Jacoby we could've won 12 games).

Luck is a better QB, without a doubt... but this team can still win the AFC South with Jacoby.

I don't think there is any chance at all of the Colts winning 12 games with Brissett.   Nearly every game he plays is a close 1 score game.  That equals .500.  Some of the kicking woes can be partly blamed on Brissetts play.   All games are close so a missed kick can cost you the game way too often.  Make some, miss some.  It's what happens when you play .500 ball.   

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't think there is any chance at all of the Colts winning 12 games with Brissett.   Nearly every game he plays is a close 1 score game.  That equals .500.  Some of the kicking woes can be partly blamed on Brissetts play.   All games are close so a missed kick can cost you the game way too often.  Make some, miss some.  It's what happens when you play .500 ball.   

How can you blame Brissett for Vinatieri missing 1 field goal within 29 yards, 4 more field goals from within 49 yards (I'll give AV a pass on 3 misses from 50+, that's Brissett's fault for sure) and Chase missing 1 game-tying field goal from within 49 yards (I suppose we can also blame Brissett for the Bucs putting up 542 yards on us and going 4-4 in the red zone)?  How can you blame Brissett for Vinatieri missing 6 extra-points?  Vinny's the GOAT, blaming the QB for his missed extra points would be like blaming JR Smith for Lebron missing a free throw.

I get your point of us being in too many close games.  Fact of the matter is, our team had a very lackluster pass rush (especially after Turay went down) and our secondary (for the most part was not very good).  A lot of people say bad offensive play allows the other offense to be one-dimensonial and focus on the run.  Our run D, however, was 7th in the league in terms of yds/game -- our pass D was 23rd in the league, so it's not like we weren't getting to the other QB because teams just ran it down our throats, teams threw on our D at will for most of the season.  That's not Jacoby's fault.  Our team (after TY and Funchess went down, and Campbell and Fountain to a lesser extent) was very weak at WR.  Our team (especially after Ebron went down, and he wasn't even having a very good year with his drops) was very weak at TE (especially in terms of receiving TE, Doyle is a very good blocker and a good possession type of TE, but he is not striking fear into any D as a major pass catching threat).  

Again, not saying Brissett's the long term answer.... but, there were a lot of other problems on our team that helped keep us at a .500 level.  Sure, we've been used to Peyton and Andrew.  Fact of the matter is, when Peyton played he was always one of the top 3 QBs in the entire NFL (after his rookie year) and when Luck played he was always one of the top 6 QBs in the NFL.  It is very rare to have almost 2 decades worth of QB play at that high of a level.  Sure, there may be a few QBs in the league who could look very good in an offense with as little skill at WR/TE as we had, but that's a very small number.  The vast majority of QBs would have struggled on the team that Indy had out on the field for most of last year, and to think this team goes from 7-9 to a Super Bowl champ simply by substituting a middle of the road QB with another middle of the road QB or a rookie is very short-sighted.  There are multiple other areas of weakness on this team which must be addressed before we expect any QB to come in here and take us to the promise land.

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

I want a QB who can win games when:

the kicker is not perfect

when key teammates are out injured

when the QB himself is not 100%

Because that is life in the NFL, every year.

I think everyone would like that.  However, I'd like to know a QB in the NFL who can consistently win when his WR and TE corps consists entirely of undrafted free agent players, has the 23rd ranked passing D and a middle of the pack overall D, and has a kicker(s) who misses 9 field goals and 5 extra points.  There's not many of them out there, my friend.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

How can you blame Brissett for Vinatieri missing 1 field goal within 29 yards, 4 more field goals from within 49 yards (I'll give AV a pass on 3 misses from 50+, that's Brissett's fault for sure) and Chase missing 1 game-tying field goal from within 49 yards (I suppose we can also blame Brissett for the Bucs putting up 542 yards on us and going 4-4 in the red zone)?  How can you blame Brissett for Vinatieri missing 6 extra-points?  Vinny's the GOAT, blaming the QB for his missed extra points would be like blaming JR Smith for Lebron missing a free throw.

I give Brissett some blame because he can't play the position that allows the team to win a game that is not close.  Thus making it so that a missed kick loses the game.  It's the Brissett ran offense.  It ends up in .500 ball.  To throw for less than 200 yards a game with a great O-line and running game is mostly on Brissett.   

Nice try in trying to twist my words around.  

On 1/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, coltsorioles said:

Adam really caused the team to lose some crucial games. At the end of the day, losses like that will come back to haunt you and they did. As far as  Jacoby goes, he doesn't have the talent to put a team over the top. You need great Quarterback play to win in the NFL. Its just the honest truth. One of the differences between Luck and Jacoby is Luck gets the best out of guys filling in for injured guys. Jacoby can't do that. With Luck this team wins 12-13 games. 

13 hours ago, Myles said:

I give Brissett some blame because he can't play the position that allows the team to win a game that is not close.  Thus making it so that a missed kick loses the game.  It's the Brissett ran offense.  It ends up in .500 ball.  To throw for less than 200 yards a game with a great O-line and running game is mostly on Brissett.   

Nice try in trying to twist my words around.  

I didn't twist your words around a bit.  You said vebatim 'Some of the kicking woes can be partly blamed on Brissetts play.'  

All I said is Brissett shouldn't be blamed for Vinatieri missing 8 field goals and 5 extra points (oh, whoops, I said the 3 kicks over 50 yards that Brissett missed were Vinatieri's fault, got that wrong, vice versa, the 3 kicks over 50 yards by AV were JB's fault).  

Trolls like you wouldn't exist if we won the 3-5 (6) games we could've won if our kicker could put it through the uprights.  It's all Jacoby's fault though.  Remember when Nick Anderson missed 4 consecutive free-throws in the ~1995 NBA Finals and they lost 110-107 to Houston, let's blame the Orlando Magic's loss in that series on Shaq and nobody else.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I didn't twist your words around a bit.  You said vebatim 'Some of the kicking woes can be partly blamed on Brissetts play.'  

All I said is Brissett shouldn't be blamed for Vinatieri missing 8 field goals and 5 extra points (oh, whoops, I said the 3 kicks over 50 yards that Brissett missed were Vinatieri's fault, got that wrong, vice versa, the 3 kicks over 50 yards by AV were JB's fault).  

Trolls like you wouldn't exist if we won the 3-5 (6) games we could've won if our kicker could put it through the uprights.  It's all Jacoby's fault though.  Remember when Nick Anderson missed 4 consecutive free-throws in the ~1995 NBA Finals and they lost 110-107 to Houston, let's blame the Orlando Magic's loss in that series on Shaq and nobody else.

There you go again.   I said Brissett was partly to blame for the kicking woes.  You turned it into me saying Brissett was to blame.   He's only partly to blame because all his games are close.  That's what his game brings.  A missed kick doesn't really matter if the game isn't close.  "Partly" is not 100%, 90%, 80% and don't even have to be 20%.   I guess I should have said that the Colts style of playing with Brissett under center in conducive in making missed kicks more critical to the outcome of games.     

On 1/5/2020 at 2:14 PM, CurBeatElite said:

If it were a stock, traders would be shorting it.