Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes

Caffrey

I've always wondered why we gave up an traded #1 pick DE Jerry Hughes to Buffalo their prior  #3 pick LB named Edwards who I think played 2 subpar years with the Colts.

I've been watching Hughes play above average to decent for Buffalo, makings plays like today against Houston. It is still in OT, will they win, we shall see.

I thought Hughes was decent for us and not sure why we traded him, I think it was a mistake.

• Like 2

Poilan wanted to convert him to a LB.  They tried it a few years with no success so they decided to trade him to Buffalo who put him back at DE.  After that fiasco I have always been against taking great college players and creating a project by moving them to another position.  Hate that strategy.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Poilan wanted to convert him to a LB.  They tried it a few years with no success so they decided to trade him to Buffalo who put him back at DE.  After that fiasco I have always been against taking great college players and creating a project by moving them to another position.  Hate that strategy.  

Are you sure it was Polian who wanted to convert him to LB? I thought that was Pagano when he was hired and switched defensive schemes.

Either way Hughes played 3 years in Indy in two different defensive schemes and didn't play that well. Failure on the Colts (really with both staffs) to not get the production out of him which sucks because this team was lacking what he brought to Buffalo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Polian’s teams played him at end because they were a 4-3 at the time.  When Pagano came on they changed to a 3-4 and Freeney, Mathis, and, Hughes all moved to LBer which is what pass rushers play in that defense.  Grigson gave up on him and traded him to Buffalo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Trading Hughes is another, although somewhat under the radar, Grigson gaffe. 

In hindsight, yes... but Hughes simply just didn't fit the scheme we were running and was mostly unproductive for us.  He fits Buffalo's scheme much better, which is why he produces well there.  I disliked Grigs, but I'll give him a pass here.

24 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The trade was for Kelvin Sheppard...a slow ILB.

It was a bad trade at the time...that looked awful in hindsight. That 2013 offseason has to be up there with worst  of all time. Yet the Colts still went to the Divisional round that year.

It was a trade that both players were going to be moved from their team. The trade just swapped players and each was looked at to fit in better on the new team in a new scheme, one that suited their strengths. It worked out for Buffalo for sure but he would not have had that success in our 3-4 scheme. JH was either gonna get traded as he did or cut from our team. We swapped to take a look at another younger guy who maybe fit in better here. He didn’t. Neither did Grigson as it planned out. 

5 hours ago, Caffrey said:

I've always wondered why we gave up an traded #1 pick DE Jerry Hughes to Buffalo their prior  #3 pick LB named Edwards who I think played 2 subpar years with the Colts.

I've been watching Hughes play above average to decent for Buffalo, makings plays like today against Houston. It is still in OT, will they win, we shall see.

I thought Hughes was decent for us and not sure why we traded him, I think it was a mistake.

He didn’t fit the Scheme when we switched to a 3-4 so they moved him to a 4-3 team as he was a better pass rusher with his hands in the dirt. 

He may not be the prototype 3-4 DE but they didn't even try him out there.  I think they were too determined to make his a LB and even at that, I thought he made some plays at the end of his last year with us.  3-4 or 4-3, he may just be a player that makes plays and we let him go for basically nothing in return.  Edwards was not close to being a capable LB for us.  I think I heard this somewhere, you can never have enough good pass rushers.

2 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

He may not be the prototype 3-4 DE but they didn't even try him out there.  I think they were too determined to make his a LB and even at that, I thought he made some plays at the end of his last year with us.  3-4 or 4-3, he may just be a player that makes plays and we let him go for basically nothing in return.  Edwards was not close to being a capable LB for us.  I think I heard this somewhere, you can never have enough good pass rushers.

Hughes is 250 pounds.   That’s not a DE in a 3-4.    Those guys are 280-300.   250 is the DE spot Hughes plays for Buffalo in their 4-3.

We let Hughes go for little because he wasn’t much back then.   No one else offered more.  Hughes turned into something AFTER that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

He wasn’t even close to big enough for a 3-4 end.  3-4 ends are mostly run stoppers that are basically athletic DTs in a 4-3.  Hughes was a pass rusher.  Pass rusher players OLBer in a 3-4.  They play end in a 4-3.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caffrey said:

:lol: You need a defense 101 course.

Also, this was like 8 years ago. There was a graphic in the game that Hughes is the Bills longest tenured player. Get over it.

Actually at the time of the trade Buffalo played a 3-4 D, so the argument they traded him because he didn't fit the Colts style of D at the time is not accurate.  Hughes played ok for the Colts but he was behind Mathis and Freeney so he didn't get a lot of playing time, when Grigs/Pags came in, he was part of the house cleaning that every new GM does.  It hindsight it may have been a mistake but at the time a lot of people on this forum were talking about what a genius Grigs was to make that trade.

• Thanks 1

I am over it, just wanted something to talk about.

I guess with the pure size for position concept, we should have never tried Gary Brackett at MLB, Denico Autry at DT, and even Bob Sanders because they are too small for the position.

3 hours ago, Caffrey said:

I am over it, just wanted something to talk about.

I guess with the pure size for position concept, we should have never tried Gary Brackett at MLB, Denico Autry at DT, and even Bob Sanders because they are too small for the position.

They were short not so much 20 to 30 pounds under weight.  There is a difference.