Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coming on strong

is chad kelly under contract next year?

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If, the Colts are rolling with JB as the starter in 2020 (likely) then I don’t want a developmental type QB drafted and on the roster. I want a solid plan for 2021, if JB isn’t getting it done. 

A solid plan is not hoping some 6th or 7th rated QB prospect develops. 

The Colts probably aren’t in a position in 2021 to draft top five.  

Ballard has his work cut out for him addressing the future at QB. And I think it will make or break him as GM. 

If that highly rated QB prospect is drafted, developed and possibly red shirted, and they roll with JB as the starter in 2020, it makes sense to let Chad Kelly come in the first sign of JB not getting the job done, assuming the rookie is not ready. That will help them evaluate if they want to retain JB as the backup or Kelly in 2021 since obviously, the 2020 rookie will be starting in 2021 and I do not see them paying $15 mil. for JB again.

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If, the Colts are rolling with JB as the starter in 2020 (likely) then I don’t want a developmental type QB drafted and on the roster. I want a solid plan for 2021, if JB isn’t getting it done. 

Ballard has his work cut out for him addressing the future at QB. And I think it will make or break him as GM. 

Just because you as a fan rank a QB the sixth prospect doesn’t mean the team does. The most likely scenario we draft a QB in the first or early second and they sit a year and learn the playbook. If Jacoby stinks it up the first few games then the rookie gets his chance early. 

If we draft a guy I doubt we keep Kelly. I don’t see them using a roster spot for a 3 QB all year. If Jacoby stinks it up the rookie gets to start ahead of time.

15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Stackman

To me..... since getting the RIGHT QB is a HIT / Miss proposition (Mostly miss)

Why not take a another roll of the dice to increase your odds?

There are a few candidates for QB that SHOULD be available with our 2nd (or 3rd) pick

If the QB sucketh in 2020, you roll again in 2021

To me thats the lower risk proposition than 

throwing a bunch of draft picks for a QB that is questionable

To me, there are two QBs that are very good risks..... Tua and Burrows

If Tua slides I am offering up some picks to get him

He would be a pocket passer for me, not a running QB, that also throws

But, am I giving up 2 first round picks (plus more) to get Love??  Nope  Herbert?? Nope

If Love is there at 13 I would consider it, but all theses tier 2 guys are risky

Will a 2nd round pick work out to take us to a playoff spot?  The odds say no.

But... to me, with our QB spot what it is..... why not at least take a swing THIS year?

History tells us that it usually takes a few tries before you land on the right QB.....  the odds go up, the more tries you take.

And......  If your QB that you chose in round 2 or 3 actually works out, you dont have to try again next year.....

Kelly will more than be the odd man out next year the same he would have been this year had AL not retired

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

If that highly rated QB prospect is drafted, developed and possibly red shirted, and they roll with JB as the starter in 2020, it makes sense to let Chad Kelly come in the first sign of JB not getting the job done, assuming the rookie is not ready. That will help them evaluate if they want to retain JB as the backup or Kelly in 2021 since obviously, the 2020 rookie will be starting in 2021.

If, everyone can get passed the character stuff with Kelly and let’s say he has an amazing TC and preseason, it would be a nice problem to have on the roster. That’s even if Ballard drafted a QB in the 1st.  I’m more skeptical about Kelly as a QB than him getting in more trouble. 

However, if he’s plays well, he could be traded or the Colts could cut another QB and save CAP. Who knows? :dunno:

Just now, MPStack said:

If, everyone can get passed the character stuff with Kelly and let’s say he has an amazing TC and preseason, it would be a nice problem to have on the roster. That’s even if Ballard drafted a QB in the 1st.  I’m more skeptical about Kelly as a QB than him getting in more trouble. 

However, if he’s plays well, he could be traded or the Colts could cut another QB and save CAP. Who knows? :dunno:

We WANT these type of problems

If CK works out (long shot) and we also have a rookie to develop its not a bad thing

in 2021, there WILL be a need for both a starter and a backup

JB and Hoyer WILL NOT be in the mix for either spot (IMHO) in 2021

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Stackman

To me..... since getting the RIGHT QB is a HIT / Miss proposition (Mostly miss)

Why not take a another roll of the dice to increase your odds?

There are a few candidates for QB that SHOULD be available with our 2nd (or 3rd) pick

If the QB sucketh in 2020, you roll again in 2021

To me thats the lower risk proposition than 

throwing a bunch of draft picks for a QB that is questionable

To me, there are two QBs that are very good risks..... Tua and Burrows

If Tua slides I am offering up some picks to get him

He would be a pocket passer for me, not a running QB, that also throws

But, am I giving up 2 first round picks (plus more) to get Love??  Nope  Herbert?? Nope

If Love is there at 13 I would consider it, but all theses tier 2 guys are risky

Will a 2nd round pick work out to take us to a playoff spot?  The odds say no.

But... to me, with our QB spot what it is..... why not at least take a swing THIS year?

I would hope that the team doesn’t get caught up in the annual QB frenzy and stay at 13 and draft someone who has fallen(Aaron Rodgers) or wait until the 2nd/3rd Round to draft a future starter

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I would hope that the team doesn’t get caught up in the annual QB frenzy and stay at 13 and draft someone who has fallen(Aaron Rodgers) or wait until the 2nd/3rd Round to draft a future starter

I hope so too

The fact is, anyone not named Tua or Burrows, SHOULDNT be starting next year anyway.

Im ok with trying to find our future starter in round 2 or 3

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just because you as a fan rank a QB the sixth prospect doesn’t mean the team does. The most likely scenario we draft a QB in the first or early second and they sit a year and learn the playbook. If Jacoby stinks it up the first few games then the rookie gets his chance early. 

First off, I’m not ranking any of them nor have I. What I do know, is that no GM says or thinks “our QB” is a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round guy.  Especially when it’s a critical need. That thought process will probably get you fired. 

Cheers

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope so too

The fact is, anyone not named Tua or Burrows, SHOULDNT be starting next year anyway.

Not sure Tua will ever be back to his pre injury form

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If that highly rated QB prospect is drafted, developed and possibly red shirted, and they roll with JB as the starter in 2020, it makes sense to let Chad Kelly come in the first sign of JB not getting the job done, assuming the rookie is not ready. That will help them evaluate if they want to retain JB as the backup or Kelly in 2021 since obviously, the 2020 rookie will be starting in 2021 and I do not see them paying $15 mil. for JB again.

Hoyer is under contract for two more years

6 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Hoyer is under contract for two more years

He can be cut before mid-March with very little financial impact.   That’s the way his contract was structured.  

It’s a 3-year deal that can become, in essence,  a 1-year deal. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

He can be cut before mid-March with very little financial impact.   That’s the way his contract was structured.  

That is not necessarily good since that date is before the draft

42 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

So.....   you’re saying you want us to trade up?

Im confused as to what you want?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

So.....   you’re saying you want ya to trade up?

Im confused as to what you want?

Stay at the current position and draft someone who drops or wait until the 2nd or 3rd  and draft someone with some kind of flaw as a QB of the future

At this point the only QB I would be scared of is Tua because of the injury

34 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope so too

With the Colts O-line, I wouldn't rule out a rookie QB starting next season.  Usually those drafting a QB in the first round don't have great O-lines.  

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is not necessarily good since that date is before the draft

That may be true with some players, but I’m not sure it matters with Hoyer.

It may simply come down to this....

If they like Hoyer,  they keep him.   But if they don’t, then they won’t.  The date be damned. 

5 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

As for CK, I don't have much respect for him as a person, a leader, or a team general. IMO this team needs a good decision maker, not a gunslinger. Seems to me the types of players they've collected would prefer solid strategy and consistency rather than following a guy who's constantly winging it. Maybe he grows up, who knows at this point.

I agree for the most part, not sure JB really has a dink/dunk approach (or any approach at all other than being way too conservative with the ball). I just hope that, if the FO still envisions success for JB in the 2020 season, he can learn and grow significantly between now and the start of the season. He doesn't have to be great, but he needs to be good.

As FR said, he thinks JB is top-20. Top-20 wasn't what JB brought to the field this year. That doesn't mean he can't grow into it. I'm still exercising patience and trust in FR's plan. I'm also confident that 'no QB growth from JB' isn't acceptable to FR and doesn't fit his vision. If that's what happens, I would bet he'll move to another option rather quickly. And should that happen, I'm on board with it.

I trust the FO to grow the entire team, including the QB, in whatever ways they can. If the entire team is better next year, it will take some of the pressure off whatever QB we have under center. That's a good thing, looking forward to it!

Read it folks....this is a great post.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That may be true with some players, but I’m not sure it matters with Hoyer.

It may simply come down to this....

If they like Hoyer,  they keep him.   But if they don’t, then they won’t.  The date be damned. 

I agree but it also locks the team into drafting a QB high

32 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I agree but it also locks the team into drafting a QB high

it does....    but the question is...   how high?    I’m not trying to be clever....

Im talking about R1 vs R2.   

And I’ve been expecting at least a R2 investment (maybe more) since things went sideways in November and December.    

All I want is for them to give CK more of a shot to at the very least win the #2 spot this preseason.  He needs to run  Brian Hoyer out of town just like that young backup did to him in New England this year.  Just keep your head down and grind CK.  I believe he will show us he's grown up a lot.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not sure Tua will ever be back to his pre injury form

That surely is a question, a question that no one truly knows

IF, I was evenly REMOTELY considering......  I would have my DRs check ALL of the details

I think if you use Tua as a running QB, you are taking a risk for more injuries

Let him use his quick delivery and accurate short to mid passes to win you games

The kid has  awesome accuracy and is the leader type that CB covets

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

To me, a backup that hasnt won a single game he started over a long spell is not someone I want to back up my starter

The list of QBs that can LOSE a game is endless

I would much rather have QB2 be on the way up, and have a remote chance of winning a game that they have to start due to injury

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

That surely is a question, a question that no one truly knows

IF, I was evenly REMOTELY considering......  I would have my DRs check ALL of the details

I think if you use Tua as a running QB, you are taking a risk for more injuries

Let him use his quick delivery and accurate short to mid passes to win you games

The kid has  awesome accuracy and is the leader type that CB covets

The talent that plays around him covers a lot of flaws

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

To me, a backup that hasnt won a single game he started over a long spell is not someone I want to back up my starter

The list of QBs that can LOSE a game is endless

I would much rather have QB2 be on the way up, and have a remote chance of winning a game that they have to start due to injury

You also need a mentor type around a drafted and that is not CK or even JB

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

The talent that plays around him covers a lot of flaws

I dont know that pre injury that the Alabama talent covered "a lot of flaws" from Tua

The guy is good

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

You also need a mentor type around a drafted and that is not CK or even JB

I dont know that I would agree with that either

With a former QB as a head coach, do you really need to hold a roster spot for a poor performing mentor?

JB has been a professional leader that I would trust with this role for 2020, if he isnt starting the whole year

I dont see much value with Hoyer

Never in my life, have I seen more discussion about a 3rd string practice player.

Ever.

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Never in my life, have I seen more discussion about a 3rd string practice player.

Ever.

Every year there is a WR or RB that everyone talks about

Mike Hart?

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont know that I would agree with that either

With a former QB as a head coach, do you really need to hold a roster spot for a poor performing mentor?

JB has been a professional leader that I would trust with this role for 2020, if he isnt starting the whole year

I dont see much value with Hoyer

That would be great if Hoyer’s cut window was May not March

The team might be stuck with his cap hit or him since the team is not guaranteed a QB in the draft

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Mike Hart?

MH and the others had potential to provide help CK has 2 if not 3 boulders in his way

IMO

The moment the Colts use a 1,2, or 3 on a QB CK needs to start his job hunting 

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ever.

Fascinating, isn't it? But if QB1 had lit it up, and QB2 showed he could hold the fort for a couple of games, QB3 would be forgotten.

13 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ever.

Poor QB play from the starter (Jacoby) has probably contributed to that. 

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Mike Hart?

Deon Cain? :woah:

21 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ever.

This happens in pre-season all the time. Just that we rarely carry 3 QBs on the roster. Now that we do, the discussion re-surfaces. In years past, never had to worry about your starting QB upside and back up floor, but this year we do, and that is the root for a lot of discussions.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

If Chad Kelly doesn’t get an open chance to compete against JB in camp and preseason, I will be furious at this team. Now, whether CK is good enough to beat out JB in camp and PS is the question that will left up to CB and FR but if it’s not an open competition to see who wins, it’s a dereliction of duty imho.

as for drafting a guy in the later rounds as a potential plan to  hedge against JB sucking again and to develop, you can’t tell me that CK doesn’t offer as much potential as a guy we could draft in round 4 or later.  If we don’t take a QB with our first round pick or maybe even with the second rd pick, we have to believe that either the guy we could have taken at those positions are not as good of a pick as using JB and CK for the 2020 year. I just want to see CK get a legit shot at showing he is good, great or below avg talents in live fire against #1’s. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

With the Colts O-line, I wouldn't rule out a rookie QB starting next season.  Usually those drafting a QB in the first round don't have great O-lines.  

If the Colts great o-line isn’t doing enough for Brissett then it’s not going to do enough for a rookie QB. 

A rookie has to deal with the speed and complexity of NFL defenses.   Our o-line is only going to be able to do so much. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the Colts great o-line isn’t doing enough for Brissett then it’s not going to do enough for a rookie QB. 

A rookie has to deal with the speed and complexity of NFL defenses.   Our o-line is only going to be able to do so much. 

Brissett isn't a good example to use.  He holds the ball longer than any QB.   But I understand your point.  

26 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Mike Hart?

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This happens in pre-season all the time. Just that we rarely carry 3 QBs on the roster. Now that we do, the discussion re-surfaces. In years past, never had to worry about your starting QB upside and back up floor, but this year we do, and that is the root for a lot of discussions.

It's not even close. I just went back to the point where Luck retired. Keep in mind that this is at best...the tip of the iceberg syndrome, because CK is discussed in far more that represented in these numbers.

Just threads specifically using Chad Kelly's name, 19 threads totalling 84 pages of posts. If I were to guess at including thread/pages where he is a main topic of discussion?....easily 40 threads and 150 pages of posts. Mike Hart? Phaaa. 

Like I said, most discussed 3rd string practice player.........ever.