Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is chad kelly under contract next year?

coming on strong

16 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Poor QB play from the starter (Jacoby) has probably contributed to that. 

That and it's been awhile since we had a 3rd string QB who played well.   Walker wasn't getting anyone excited.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Stackman

To me..... since getting the RIGHT QB is a HIT / Miss proposition (Mostly miss)

Why not take a another roll of the dice to increase your odds?

There are a few candidates for QB that SHOULD be available with our 2nd (or 3rd) pick

If the QB sucketh in 2020, you roll again in 2021

To me thats the lower risk proposition than 

throwing a bunch of draft picks for a QB that is questionable

To me, there are two QBs that are very good risks..... Tua and Burrows

If Tua slides I am offering up some picks to get him

He would be a pocket passer for me, not a running QB, that also throws

But, am I giving up 2 first round picks (plus more) to get Love??  Nope  Herbert?? Nope

If Love is there at 13 I would consider it, but all theses tier 2 guys are risky

Will a 2nd round pick work out to take us to a playoff spot?  The odds say no.

But... to me, with our QB spot what it is..... why not at least take a swing THIS year?

History tells us that it usually takes a few tries before you land on the right QB.....  the odds go up, the more tries you take.

And......  If your QB that you chose in round 2 or 3 actually works out, you dont have to try again next year.....

As I said in an earlier post - use the top three or four picks to strengthen the roster.  Pick a talented QB prospect in round 3 or 4 (if at all).  Roll into the season with whomever (CK, JB or the prospect) looks best in TC.  Rinse and repeat in 2021, if necessary...but my bet is on CK.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Never in my life, have I seen more discussion about a 3rd string practice player.

Ever.

Never in my life have I seen so much discussion/excuse making on why a back up QB disguised as a very below average starter should keep his job.

Ever.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

That and it's been awhile since we had a 3rd string QB who played well.   Walker wasn't getting anyone excited.

This is still the craziest thing I have heard.  Played well?  Against who?  Third stringers that are bagging groceries. 

Don't get me wrong.  I am all for him still being on the roster and I actually really like him as the backup next year (can't stand Hoyer).  But to say he is currently better than JB is just crazy talk.will ferrell crazy pills GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

MH and the others had potential to provide help CK has 2 if not 3 boulders in his way

IMO

The moment the Colts use a 1,2, or 3 on a QB CK needs to start his job hunting 

I would wait till camp to see how it all plays out

If CK gets beaten out by a rookie and JB...... (with a fair competition) he SHOULD be looking for new work

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

This is still the craziest thing I have heard.  Played well?  Against who?  Third stringers that are bagging groceries. 

Don't get me wrong.  I am all for him still being on the roster and I actually really like him as the backup next year (can't stand Hoyer).  But to say he is currently better than JB is just crazy talk.will ferrell crazy pills GIF

I dont wont to put words in the "Amazing Myles" mouth

but.....

I think he is referring to CKs play in the preseason..... which WAS better than Walker (not JB)

40 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

As I said in an earlier post - use the top three or four picks to strengthen the roster.  Pick a talented QB prospect in round 3 or 4 (if at all).  Roll into the season with whomever (CK, JB or the prospect) looks best in TC.  Rinse and repeat in 2021, if necessary...but my bet is on CK.

If your going to pick a QB you go all in. All this messing around with a later round Qb is just going to set the franchise back. Say JB sucks and in 2021 this late round pick gets a chance and he sucks. You just wasted two more years. Then having to draft another guy and wasting more time. If they think they need a new QB they need to do everything to try and get that guy.

35 minutes ago, esmort said:

Never in my life have I seen so much discussion/excuse making on why a back up QB disguised as a very below average starter should keep his job.

Ever.

Call it cognitive dissonance. Ballard and Reich blew a lot of smoke about JB before and (especially) after Luck retired...saying he’s the guy and that he’s a leader and won’t flinch. They even backed that up somewhat by giving him $28M.

Ballard and Reich have built up trust and credibility...and people believe in them...whether it’s actions or words.

And because people believed in Ballard and Reich...they too thought highly of JB...and defended him.

But now (unless you didn’t pay any attention to the Colts this season)...that belief

in JB is being challenged. And some are still conflicted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Call it cognitive dissonance. Ballard and Reich blew a lot of smoke about JB before and (especially) after Luck retired...saying he’s the guy and that he’s a leader and won’t flinch. They even backed that up somewhat by giving him $28M.

Ballard and Reich have built up trust and credibility...and people believe in them...whether it’s actions or words.

And because people believed in Ballard and Reich...they too thought highly of JB...and defended him.

But now (unless you didn’t pay any attention to the Colts this season)...that belief

in JB is being challenged. And some are still conflicted.

I don't know what to believe. I do know this. JB is not the answer for the future. I don't care if it is CK or a rookie, just need better play from the QB position.

The coaches said AV was not injured at the beginning, he ends up having the surgery he possibly needed earlier. The coaches said JB was fine after the Steelers game, different opinions leaked out from the OC at the end of the season. From the years that this organization has handled news about injuries, regarding Andrew Luck and others, they DO NOT have my trust regarding their honesty w.r.t whether a player is injured and how it may/may not affect his performance.

The same way, I am not going to buy any hype they have about any QBs till the pads come on and I see them for the entire season. That is where I will leave it.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If your going to pick a QB you go all in. All this messing around with a later round Qb is just going to set the franchise back. Say JB sucks and in 2021 this late round pick gets a chance and he sucks. You just wasted two more years. Then having to draft another guy and wasting more time. If they think they need a new QB they need to do everything to try and get that guy.

Shoulda said...a 3 or 4 round guy they really like.

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Kelly will more than be the odd man out next year the same he would have been this year had AL not retired

Not only do I see CK here next season, but given a true opportunity to win the position, I see him as our starter unless they land a QB via 1/2 round pick. 

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not sure Tua will ever be back to his pre injury form

That hip and his many other college injuries already have me nervous as heck that Tua lasts in any season in the NFL. He may have many great qualities but durability has not proven to be one of them so far in any season he’s played. Not good going into a franchise roll spot imho. 

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Hoyer is under contract for two more years

Hoyer is 100% cuttable. Hoyer was brought here as an emergency stop gap. CB panicked with him imho by thinking JB needed that teammate mentor and peer who could hang out with and just talk X/O’s 24/7. Overpaid by a ton just to feed JB football related experience. His experience and assistance to JB this year simply doesn’t justify keeping him over  keeping another kid. Coaching from Reich and an actual QB coach should be enough. 

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Fascinating, isn't it? But if QB1 had lit it up, and QB2 showed he could hold the fort for a couple of games, QB3 would be forgotten.

Hoyer hasn’t proven to be worth being kept for any one of the three spots imho. 

as for my rational to say CK will be our opening day starter, which is my prediction given three factors of 1. We don’t draft rd 1-2 QB, 2. We don’t get a starter via FA or trade and 3. He gets an actual chance to compete for the spot. My rational is starter 1 currently isn’t good and starter 2 (Hoyer) is worse than the current starter and CK has just as much potential as any college QB prospect not named Tua or Burrow. Those factors alone give me the idea that CK will open as day one starter over JB. 

come back and crucify me if I’m wrong in September but this is my super bold 2020 team prediction 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, Two_pound said:

Yea, it is so painfully obvious that Brissett is not the answer. I do think Kelly was kept on the roster for fear of losing him. I hope he gets his chance next season, I'm pretty sure he will beat out Brissett. And apparently he has been a great teammate this past season, very important to both Ballard and Reich to check that box.

I don't think the coaching staff will give him a true chance to compete. I think Brissett playing and getting the lion's share of starter reps is pre-ordained, sadly.

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You really need to be more consistent, because that’s what I was getting at in my previous post you chimed in on. 

This post you’re basically agreeing with what I said, in my post you replied. C’mon!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I don’t think it’s crazy talk at all. Until we get to see CK and JB play apples to apples games in the PS, CK out performed the potential that JB has proceeded to this day. CK May get out there and display mad skills of a Curtis Painter or he could display the hidden gem that a Brady held behind Bledsoe, nobody on here knows because the team didn’t allow it to show. But I’ll tell you this much, they held onto his 53 man spot during the season when they needed another healthy player and dumped Cain, who they gushed over in PS camp, as did reporters and fans alike, for a reason imho. They have to like the potential we seen from those PS games he played in, the fact he stayed clean all year and have t heard a peep of negative press all year long about him and the fact he showed high level potential out of college to boot. It was simply his head and off field antics that looked him. McAfee swam in the canal drunk and was an * and turned out as a pro bowler because he kept his nose clean after that stupid event about killed his career. Another chance and risking millions turned him around. CK May be the same thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If your going to pick a QB you go all in. 

You are going to have to help me on this one

And we may actually agree ...... to a point

You get there are levels of all in..... right?

Lets say they like Burrows..... would YOU go ALL in and give our next 3 years of first round picks to the Bengals to get the pick? Would you give up our treasured RG? or Hilton to sweeten the pot?

Same for Tua..... All in?   If he is 100% healthy... I MIGHT give up pick one this year and pick one next year, but would ratherNOT  offer ANY future first round picks, (just in case we tank, Tua fails, and miss on TL, or JF)

There is SO much questions about all of the other QBs

I like Love, but I am Not ready to trade the team for him or even multiple first round picks to get him..... Is THAT what you are seeking?

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You are going to have to help me on this one

And we may actually agree ...... to a point

You get there are levels of all in..... right?

Lets say they like Burrows..... would YOU go ALL in and give our next 3 years of first round picks to the Bengals to get the pick? Would you give up our treasured RG? or Hilton to sweeten the pot?

Same for Tua..... All in?   If he is 100% healthy... I MIGHT give up pick one this year and pick one next year, but would ratherNOT  offer ANY future first round picks, (just in case we tank, Tua fails, and miss on TL, or JF)

There is SO much questions about all of the other QBs

I like Love, but I am Not ready to trade the team for him or even multiple first round picks to get him..... Is THAT what you are seeking?

What I am getting at if Ballard has identified any of the four or five as the one he has to make sure he gets them. Clearly Burtow and TUA most likely won’t be a option. So we are pretty much down to Love, Herbert, and Eason.  So if they think one of those guys is the guy try and do everything to get them.  You don’t mess around. Now clearly it could get ridiculous as far as the cost to move up where you just have to turn it down.  Maybe giving up Hooker would sweeten the pot. I am ok giving up next years first rd pick. Then just switching firsts this year. Even if we have to give up a second rd pick this year. Switch first day with the giants. Give them our first next year and one of our seconds this year.

• Haha 1

You would agree though that after first two, the rest just arent, blue chip, cant-miss prospects

If we are sitting at 13 and Love is there ..... AND CB is convinced that he is "the guy"

I would say that I am all in.....  

I think Love will go one of two ways

1) He will shine at the senior bowl and combine, and someone ahead of us will take him

2) He will look average, and slide 

As we sit today we have

Bengals

Miami

LAC

Carolina

in front of us....  If Love shines.... he will get grabbed by one of these 4

If Herbert does well, he will ALSO be picked by one of these 4

That leaves no, true round 1 QBs at 13.

If we really wanted to go ALL IN

We would trade pick 13 Worth -1150 "draft chart" points

pick 34 - 560 pts, and pick 75 worth 215 pts

To the Giants (In front of Miami)

That pick is worth 1800 accrding to the charts

We would have a free run at TUA 

But... I really hope we sit still and let the draft come to us

28 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What I am getting at if Ballard has identified any of the four or five as the one he has to make sure he gets them. Clearly Burtow and TUA most likely won’t be a option. So we are pretty much down to Love, Herbert, and Eason.  So if they think one of those guys is the guy try and do everything to get them.  You don’t mess around. Now clearly it could get ridiculous as far as the cost to move up where you just have to turn it down.  Maybe giving up Hooker would sweeten the pot. 

17 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You would agree though that after first two, the rest just arent, blue chip, cant-miss prospects

If we are sitting at 13 and Love is there ..... AND CB is convinced that he is "the guy"

I would say that I am all in.....  

I think Love will go one of two ways

1) He will shine at the senior bowl and combine, and someone ahead of us will take him

2) He will look average, and slide 

As we sit today we have

Bengals

Miami

LAC

Carolina

in front of us....  If Love shines.... he will get grabbed by one of these 4

If Herbert does well, he will ALSO be picked by one of these 4

That leaves no, true round 1 QBs at 13.

If we really wanted to go ALL IN

We would trade pick 13 Worth -1150 "draft chart" points

pick 34 - 560 pts, and pick 75 worth 215 pts

To the Giants (In front of Miami)

That pick is worth 1800 accrding to the charts

We would have a free run at TUA 

But... I really hope we sit still and let the draft come to us

No QB in the playoffs this year were top five picks.  The nfl can be so dependent on which organization you go to. Especially for quarterbacks. If won’t surprise me If Love or Herbert have a better career then Burrow. Bengals are a bad organization. If you sit and just wait around a team is going to keep losing out on who they want. Chiefs and Texans didn’t sit around to get the QB  they want. That will get Ballard forex real quick.

The new coach of the panthers is on record as saying he thinks Grier is pro ready. He said that in August. He coached against him in college. They still have Cam too.

45 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What I am getting at if Ballard has identified any of the four or five as the one he has to make sure he gets them. Clearly Burtow and TUA most likely won’t be a option. So we are pretty much down to Love, Herbert, and Eason.  So if they think one of those guys is the guy try and do everything to get them.  You don’t mess around. Now clearly it could get ridiculous as far as the cost to move up where you just have to turn it down.  Maybe giving up Hooker would sweeten the pot. I am ok giving up next years first rd pick. Then just switching firsts this year. Even if we have to give up a second rd pick this year. Switch first day with the giants. Give them our first next year and one of our seconds this year.

Burrow is probably the only one truly off the board.

If Ballard wanted someone bad enough, he could hypothetically trade into positions 2-4 (WA, DET, NYG). As I've said previously, a lot of chatter that Miami (5th) may also pass on a QB that early as well. Who know though what they will do, but Ballard could make a move IF he likes someone enough. 

IMO, Ballard probably isn't considering Burrow as he know's Cinci isn't passing on him, isn't interested in Tua (injury), and would take Herbert (would likely require jumping ahead of LAC at 6) if available but not enough to sell the farm. After that, I'd bet he likes Love enough to take him at 13, and likes Gordon enough to take him in the second should Love go before 13. Eason is a wild card, and Fromm and Hurts are probably not of interest. 

• Like 4

On 1/6/2020 at 12:24 PM, indyagent17 said:

I cant believe that so many people want to make Kelly the starter only based upon playing against 2nd and 3rd string guys. Also preseason performance does not equal regular season form. We have been fooled so many times by performances in the pre season. 

Well, after Jacoby's stellar performance all season long, the performance bar in Indy is set pretty low. I would have rather learned a bit about a man you have sitting on the bench during the last four games than needlessly play the pathetic fool that got you into this situation in the first place.

Right this down. Kelly will be the starter week one. When this happens, you all will have to find a great big box so all of you can climb up on and kiss my ***.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

Well, after Jacoby's stellar performance all season long, the performance bar in Indy is set pretty low. I would have rather learned a bit about a man you have sitting on the bench during the last four games than needlessly play the pathetic fool that got you into this situation in the first place.

Right this down. Kelly will be the starter week one. When this happens, you all will have to find a great big box so all of you can climb up on and kiss my ***.

Dude....lighten up a bit.....this is all in fun.... Its an opinion board

Its NOT life or death

We dont see whats going on in the locker room and practice 

I also would have liked to see what CK can do

But...... 

CK has been QB number THREE.

That means almost ZERO reps for the past 2 months

QB ONE will probably take 95% of the reps, QB TWO will probably take 5% of the reps in practice. 

If anything, he would be LESS ready than he was 2 months ago

It would have been HARDER to truly and fairly evaluate the kid, for the final games

He has no timing with recievers, and is probably VERY rusty

That would have been setting him up to fail.

I ALSO think that JB was getting a chance to fix his shortcomings. And to get a further evaluation, for the long haul.  I think he showed how limited he is

First off....

I would dump Hoyer. I see absolutely ZERO value for him as a Colt

Draft a QB in round 1 or 2

Let JB, CK, and and Rookie compete

If CK stinks in competition......  you cut him and go with JB and Rookie.... let the best man win

A tougher choice will be if JB is THIRD

I think in that case, you almost HAVE to keep 3 QBs, this year.

11 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

Pathetic. 

I have no idea what happens in practice. I only know what I saw from Kelly in pre season (impressive vs 2nd & 3rd stringers), and what he did in his junior and senior year of college (against the best competition in the nation). Impressive wins and point totals against SEC defenses.

Junior year:

Beat #2 Alabama 43-37

Beat #15 Texas A & M 23-3

Beat Auburn 27-19

Beat #17 LSU 38-17

Beat #23 Miss St 38-27

Beat #13 Oklahoma St. 48-20

Senior year:

Lost 45-34 to #4 Florida

Lost 48-43 to #1 Alabama

Crushed #12 Georgia 45-14

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:
12 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

Dude....lighten up a bit.....this is all in fun.... Its an opinion board

Am I the only one who had a sort of Matrix-like reaction seeing MikeCurtis have a conversation with MCurtis32 and wondering if this is the same guy where one of his multiple personalities is saying 'whoa buddy!' to the other? :woah:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

Am I the only one who had a sort of Matrix-like reaction seeing MikeCurtis have a conversation with MCurtis32 and wondering if this is the same guy where one of his multiple personalities is saying 'whoa buddy!' to the other? :woah:

Ive done that with myself Coltsva and Coltsfeva, where I’ve said “wait, I don’t remember typing that?” 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

We are different people

I am the poster that is always   occasionally wrong on my QB opinions

We "Mike Curtis" guys have to stick together 

• Haha 2