Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is chad kelly under contract next year?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i heard the colts want to work with kelly to improve him.    is he gonna be with the team next year?

 

 

yes

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i heard the colts want to work with kelly to improve him.    is he gonna be with the team next year?

 

 If he can be squeaky clean through training camp, he should beat out Reich's top twenty guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He'll earn a lot more than 1 million in 2021 after leading the Colts to the division title next season. Chad Kelly is way better than Ryan Tannehill. I know I'm in the very small minority on here but I think Kelly will be the qb next season. Go Colts! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Chad Kelly has been cut by 2 different teams and not claimed by the other 31 twice before. Why everyone thinks he's the answer is beyond me..

Well if you can't figure it out then alot of things are beyond you.:D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people saw him play at Ole Miss. For all any of us know he was told by Ballard and Reich that under no circumstances would he see the field this year. He had to prove he can and will be a great teammate and, this is very important, a great citizen in Indianapolis. And I don't think "everyone" thinks he's the answer, on the contrary, very few of us on here do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I believe that they plan to move him up to backup next year and cut Hoyer. It would save a lot of money. 

It would save some money, but not a whole lot.  Hoyer was signed to a 3 year deal worth $12 million.   But $9 is guaranteed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Chad Kelly has been cut by 2 different teams and not claimed by the other 31 twice before. Why everyone thinks he's the answer is beyond me..

Because he looked good beating up other teams back ups, practice squad, and out of the league guys in the pre-season duh...  if that doesn’t equal future Hall of Famer what does?

 

note the above was said with sarcasm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant believe that so many people want to make Kelly the starter only based upon playing against 2nd and 3rd string guys. Also preseason performance does not equal regular season form. We have been fooled so many times by performances in the pre season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I cant believe that so many people want to make Kelly the starter only based upon playing against 2nd and 3rd string guys. Also preseason performance does not equal regular season form. We have been fooled so many times by performances in the pre season. 

Not totally accurate.   I think most "Kelly supporters" want him to have a chance to compete.   That's why they wanted to see him get some time in the last game of the season up against starters.  

Also many of the "Kelly supporters" seen him play in college and thought he looked good.  

I have no idea if he would be any good in the NFL, but I know Brissett is not.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 7:55 PM, coming on strong said:

i heard the colts want to work with kelly to improve him.    is he gonna be with the team next year?

Just wake up from a long nap Rapunzel?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

For those who are regularly putting up Jacobys draft profile. Here is a link to Chad Kelly’s. Doesn’t read well. 
 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/chad-kelly?id=2557869

Not too bad really.  The bolded are things that Brissett lacks.

STRENGTHS

 Good arm talent. Will make "wow" throws, especially early in games. Has shown an ability to make bold, anticipatory throws over the deep middle. Over final two seasons at Ole Miss, saw 13.6% of his pass attempts go for 20-plus yards, a higher percentage than both Deshaun Watson and DeShone Kizer. Can alter release to account for sudden shifts and movements by defense or his own receivers. Poise is good enough. Will pump, slide, and re-set his feet to make accurate throws. Can set up and fire quickly from the pocket. When he sits down on throws, will use lower body to drive the ball through his targets. Gamer with a competitive streak that runs deep. Touch throws are in his repertoire when attacking area between linebackers and safeties. Looks comfortable in rollouts and boot-action throws. Completed 66.7 percent of his passes when on the move in 2016. Shuffles to safe spots inside the pocket and is able to scramble out of pressure and find targets. Willing runner with runs of 43 and 41 yards over last two seasons. Attacks the middle of the field with accuracy and throws consistent strikes to stationary targets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 7:49 AM, w87r said:

Yep, under team control for next couple years for cheap.

 

ERFA in 2021 < $1m

Poor guy.

I heard he parks cars at LOS for extra cash when he isn't on active roster. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

For those who are regularly putting up Jacobys draft profile. Here is a link to Chad Kelly’s. Doesn’t read well. 
 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/chad-kelly?id=2557869

That's saying it nicely, everyone can say he was young and made mistakes but I just can't believe everyone wanting to say he's better than Brissett and never playing in a regular season game

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Myles said:

Not totally accurate.   I think most "Kelly supporters" want him to have a chance to compete.   That's why they wanted to see him get some time in the last game of the season up against starters.  

Also many of the "Kelly supporters" seen him play in college and thought he looked good.  

I have no idea if he would be any good in the NFL, but I know Brissett is not.  

 Spot on Myles. A chance to compete. I get so tired of the local media; (Venturi, Wells, Chappell, Dakich, JMV) bashing the fans for wanting to see him have a shot at competing for a spot. Only K. Bowen agreed he should have a chance to play week 17.

   There are those that say he definitely is the answer and that’s a little premature but for those of us who think he might have potential, I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

    The good news is; the Colts put him on the 53 for a reason. Preseason or not, what some of us saw was a guy who looked poised, was accurate and ran well.

    If in the end, he competes and gets cut, so be it. And you can’t overlook the bloodline: Jim Kelly was a hell of a QB. Maybe his nephew has some of those traits. Bloodline means something; ( Mannings, Luck, Bosas, Matthews’, etc).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 8:39 AM, ColtJax said:

Chad Kelly has been cut by 2 different teams and not claimed by the other 31 twice before. Why everyone thinks he's the answer is beyond me..

 

i cant believe there are people that still think jacoby is the answer but they are out there

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, it is so painfully obvious that Brissett is not the answer. I do think Kelly was kept on the roster for fear of losing him. I hope he gets his chance next season, I'm pretty sure he will beat out Brissett. And apparently he has been a great teammate this past season, very important to both Ballard and Reich to check that box.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

That's saying it nicely, everyone can say he was young and made mistakes but I just can't believe everyone wanting to say he's better than Brissett and never playing in a regular season game

Not many are saying that.   I think people think his potential is better than Brissetts.  We have a good idea what Brissetts ceiling is and it isn't too high.   We don't know with Kelly.   His floor may be lower since he could get in trouble off the field.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2017 Brissett was thrown into the starting job and got pounded. In 2018 he was a great teammate, a team leader, and a model citizen/representative of the organization. In 2019 he was rewarded (and rightfully so) with being given the starting job when Luck retired.

 

In 2019, by all accounts, Chad Kelly has worked hard, been a good teammate, and has had no off the field issues. I expect he will be similarly rewarded by being given a chance to compete for a job in 2020. His on the field college resume is very good, with many big game wins.

 

I wanted to see Kelly in the last 2 games of the season, but I fully understand why the Colts did not suit him up. Six months of being a "good citizen" is not a large enough sample size. An entire season and off season as a Colt with no off field issues should be sufficient for FR and CB to trust that he has matured. This assuming they like what they see from an ability standpoint, and all signs (high salary, keeping him on the 53), indicate they do, thus I expect he will be given his chance to compete for one of the two QB spots in 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coltsva said:

In 2017 Brissett was thrown into the starting job and got pounded. In 2018 he was a great teammate, a team leader, and a model citizen/representative of the organization. In 2019 he was rewarded (and rightfully so) with being given the starting job when Luck retired.

 

In 2019, by all accounts, Chad Kelly has worked hard, been a good teammate, and has had no off the field issues. I expect he will be similarly rewarded by being given a chance to compete for a job in 2020. His on the field college resume is very good, with many big game wins.

 

I wanted to see Kelly in the last 2 games of the season, but I fully understand why the Colts did not suit him up. Six months of being a "good citizen" is not a large enough sample size. An entire season and off season as a Colt with no off field issues should be sufficient for FR and CB to trust that he has matured. This assuming they like what they see from an ability standpoint, and all signs (high salary, keeping him on the 53), indicate they do, thus I expect he will be given his chance to compete for one of the two QB spots in 2020.


 

It’s along shot Chad Kelly gets a shot and I’m skeptical even if he was given a real opportunity. 
 

However, if he has a real good TC and preseason, it would be interesting.

 

Like I mentioned in another thread. Alls we know at this point with Swag, is his first year of rehabilitation was successful. He stayed out of trouble.

 

And it’s sad, that you can beat on women, your kids or flunk multiple drug test and be forgiven rather quickly. JMO

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Myles said:

Not totally accurate.   I think most "Kelly supporters" want him to have a chance to compete.   That's why they wanted to see him get some time in the last game of the season up against starters.  

Also many of the "Kelly supporters" seen him play in college and thought he looked good.  

I have no idea if he would be any good in the NFL, but I know Brissett is not.  

1000%

 

I the level of exaggeration on CK threads are amazing

 

If you want to give CK a few quarters against starters to see what you have you get

"SO ...... YOU THINK CHAD KELLY IS HALL OF FAME??? !!!"

 

I have NO IDEA if CK is good, bad, average, or should be parking cars.......

 

His history of poor decisions off the field leans toward bad

 

His extremely short stint against other teams 2nd rounders, has me just wanting to see a little bit more

 

I am NOT in the locker room..... If CB thinks the guy is a loser, I will be FINE if he sends ole CK on his way.

 

Mark me down as INTERESTED.... but not INVESTED

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 11:05 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

For those who are regularly putting up Jacobys draft profile. Here is a link to Chad Kelly’s. Doesn’t read well. 
 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/chad-kelly?id=2557869

Hum Am i missing something?!?! I thought it read fine, and certainly better than Jacobys if you are talking about off field stuff, the Colts already know about it as do we all. I don't know if Kelly is the answer, but I would like to see what we got?? I think IMO he see's the field better than Brissett, and is willing to throw the ball deeper. Take risks! Even with the Colts running game and line, Jacoby nullifies the advantage it could make by his lack of vision, unwillingness to throw deep, lack of touch deep, & and his dink and dunk approach! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for CK, I don't have much respect for him as a person, a leader, or a team general. IMO this team needs a good decision maker, not a gunslinger. Seems to me the types of players they've collected would prefer solid strategy and consistency rather than following a guy who's constantly winging it. Maybe he grows up, who knows at this point.

 

15 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Even with the Colts running game and line, Jacoby nullifies the advantage it could make by his lack of vision, unwillingness to throw deep, lack of touch deep, & and his dink and dunk approach! 

I agree for the most part, not sure JB really has a dink/dunk approach (or any approach at all other than being way too conservative with the ball). I just hope that, if the FO still envisions success for JB in the 2020 season, he can learn and grow significantly between now and the start of the season. He doesn't have to be great, but he needs to be good.

As FR said, he thinks JB is top-20. Top-20 wasn't what JB brought to the field this year. That doesn't mean he can't grow into it. I'm still exercising patience and trust in FR's plan. I'm also confident that 'no QB growth from JB' isn't acceptable to FR and doesn't fit his vision. If that's what happens, I would bet he'll move to another option rather quickly. And should that happen, I'm on board with it.

I trust the FO to grow the entire team, including the QB, in whatever ways they can. If the entire team is better next year, it will take some of the pressure off whatever QB we have under center. That's a good thing, looking forward to it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is really only one reason they kept Kelly on the roster and paid him so much. He is a insurance plan in case they don’t get their guy in the draft.  If they aren’t able to get the guy they want in the draft I think they will use him to compete with Jacoby and push him to earn that starter spot. One other thing is If Jacoby is the starter maybe Kelly will end up being the backup if they can’t get a guy in the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is really only one reason they kept Kelly on the roster and paid him so much. He is a insurance plan in case they don’t get their guy in the draft.  If they aren’t able to get the guy they want in the draft I think they will use him to compete with Jacoby and push him to earn that starter spot. One other thing is If Jacoby is the starter maybe Kelly will end up being the backup if they can’t get a guy in the draft.

I think you are correct

 

They see SOMETHING in the kid..... or he would be GONE

 

If a cant miss QB slides to our pick, you take him.

 

I dont want to mtg the future though.....  I dont see a franchise QB to pick

OTHER than Burrows or Tua.....  

 

Love MIGHT be the right pick at 13.....  IF CB LOVED him. 

 

But he isnt a Watson level that you trade up for

 

I would be just as happy going with Gordon or Eason, later and use the first 2-3 picks on needed starters at WR, DL, OT

 

As stated.... let JB, CK, and rookie compete....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying that trying Chad Kelly is similar to these situations but look at some recent occurrences in the last 20 years that shaped franchises or QB success.

 

1. Belichick replacing Bledsoe with Brady and sticking with it.

2. Parcells replacing Bledsoe with Tony Romo and sticking with it.

3. Jim Harbaugh replacing Alex Smith with Colin Kaepernick and not looking back.

4. Andy Reid replacing Alex Smith with Patrick Mahomes and not looking back.

5. John Harbaugh replacing Flacco with Lamar Jackson and not looking back.

6. Dak Prescott taking advantage of Tony Romo's injury and the Cowboys not looking back.

7. Pete Carroll choosing Russell Wilson over Matt Flynn after his excellent pre-season performances and not looking back even though they had money invested in Flynn, more than they had in RW.

8. Mike Vrabel replacing Marcus Mariota with Ryan Tannehill, that helped them secure a playoff berth, and this situation is still in progress and in flux for future evaluation.

 

But until you take a chance, you do not know what you have. Only trial by fire will help you evaluate an alternate QB. You cannot be afraid of taking chances because if the worst thing that could happen is Chad Kelly crashes and burns, you can always go back to the safe floor limited ceiling guy in JB. To me, it is a win-win situation for Ballard and Reich to try Kelly with JB under contract for only 1 more year, especially if the guy they drafted is not going to play in year 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think you are correct

 

They see SOMETHING in the kid..... or he would be GONE

 

If a cant miss QB slides to our pick, you take him.

 

I dont want to mtg the future though.....  I dont see a franchise QB to pick

OTHER than Burrows or Tua.....  

 

Love MIGHT be the right pick at 13.....  IF CB LOVED LOVE......

 

I would be just as happy going with Gordon or Eason, later and use the first 2-3 picks

 

on needed starters 


If, the Colts are rolling with JB as the starter in 2020 (likely) then I don’t want a developmental type QB drafted and on the roster. I want a solid plan for 2021, if JB isn’t getting it done. 

 

A solid plan is not hoping some 6th or 7th rated QB prospect develops. 
 

The Colts probably aren’t in a position in 2021 to draft top five.  
 

Ballard has his work cut out for him addressing the future at QB. And I think it will make or break him as GM. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • It should primarily affect his ability to throw deep.  I don't see how it changes anything.
    • First, I should say you're seeing dramatically more than I am.    I've only seen a few games, and then hi-lites from most of the others.   Second, I should say what I often say with you.   That I admire your view and your judgement highly.   Always have.    All that said...    I think you're making far too much out of far too little.    I think expectations for all our rookies are outsized based on who they were....   but without the benefit of a normal off-season,  and without 4 pre-season games,  and then all the games Pittman lost due to injury,  I think expectations remain unrealistically too high.   Same with Taylor and others.   I'd cut Pittman lots of slack and not worry too much about what we're seeing until roughly a year from now.   Seriously.   I still think of Pittman's future as incredibly bright.    But maybe that's just me?      
    • The guy who shanked the punt (and had another blocked for a touchdown) was Trevor Daniel. Allen was their punter before him, taking over when regular punter Brett Kern was hurt. Allen played 1 game for Tennessee, a Week 9 victory against Chicago in which he averaged 50.5 yards per punt on 8 punts with a long of 65 yards but the Titans inexplicably replaced him with Daniel for their Thursday night matchup against us, and we all saw the corresponding results.   Kern is back as their punter now.
    • In that case, given how good their defense is, we just don't punt, lol  
    • Would be very happy with this scenario.
  • Members

    • DougDew

      DougDew 4,352

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fluke_33

      Fluke_33 2,104

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chad72

      chad72 13,502

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 4,673

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shive

      Shive 2,674

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mel Kiper's Hair

      Mel Kiper's Hair 2,221

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jared Cisneros

      Jared Cisneros 5,823

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 9,729

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • hoosierhawk

      hoosierhawk 831

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • teganslaw

      teganslaw 642

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...