Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marcus Mariota

He's a more mobile JB. No. Also RPO relies on quick reads which Mariota is horrible with and one of the main reasons he got benched and one of the main reasons their offense is now thriving with the RPO off of the threat of their run game - Tannehill has been excellent in that system since he got in play. This is the same reason Jacoby has had trouble in our system too - he has very similar weaknesses to Mariota. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Soo........it doesn't have anything to do with 7 years experience?....it's the system?

What? It has to do with traits and skills and their fit with the system he's playing in. Experience helps, but it's not like Mariota is some rookie. This was his 5th year starting until he got benched. 

Just now, stitches said:

What? It has to do with traits and skills and their fit with the system he's playing in. Experience helps, but it's not like Mariota is some rookie. This was his 5th year starting until he got benched. 

I know, I just see zero discussion of Tannehill finally getting it after 7 seasons, and fans praising that, yet refusing to accept that JB might very well do the same thing. I have a very good friend who is a Dolphin fan that I have been telling for 3 years that Tannehill would turn the corner. His response has been a mirror of many of the fans on this board, "He is never going to be a good QB and lead any team anywhere". 

Amazing what time and experience can do. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

I know, I just see zero discussion of Tannehill finally getting it after 7 seasons, and fans praising that, yet refusing to accept that JB might very well do the same thing. I have a very good friend who is a Dolphin fan that I have been telling for 3 years that Tannehill would turn the corner. His response has been a mirror of many of the fans on this board, "He is never going to be a good QB and lead any team anywhere". 

I don't think it's experience that did it. Tannehill had a pretty good season or two before he got injured(certainly better than anything Jacoby or Mariota have ever put on tape). In fact people were expecting him to blow up at the time, but poor luck with injuries and coaching/system/OLine put a stop on his rise. I would be lying if I said I expected him to be THIS good with the Titans, but I definitely thought he was a much better QB than Mariota and I even posted here that I hope Mariota doesn't get injured because they might find that Tannehill is much better than him. 

With that said, I don't think it's wise to expect and wait on a QB for 4-5... let alone 7 years before you decide to move on if he's not producing(and more importantly - not showing the traits and skill that might result in better production with better cast/system/coaching around him). For every Tannehill there will be 10 Gabberts or worse that never turn the corner. For example, I don't envy the Bucs trying to make their decision on Winston this off-season. The high with him is really high, but the low is really low too... 

To me the situation with JB is not similar. He doesn't show anything close to the passing instincts and vision, anticipation, aggression, willingness to make tough throws that Tannehill was showing even with his uneven play in Miami. 

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

RT had to switch teams to pull that off, maybe jb would be better somewhere else 

On 1/4/2020 at 4:23 PM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Would you take Marcus Mariota on a cheap FA contract. He is a lot of talent. I live in Tennessee and have seen first hand that he regressed because in part constant coaching changes. He seem to fit the RPO that Reich loves. 

Thoughts. 

Why is this even a topic!!! He’s worse than Jacoby!!! 

On 1/7/2020 at 2:55 AM, Four2itus said:

I know, I just see zero discussion of Tannehill finally getting it after 7 seasons, 

that is not what happened.  he has always been a decent qb

he has had injuries  and missed more games than andrew luck did, plus he was on a really bad team until this year

he didnt just get it this year, he went to better team and stayed healthy 

Too bad the Colts don't have a QB like Lamar Jackson. Just think what we could do...

Yesterday, Jackson recorded 365 passing yards on a whopping 59 attempts. He also racked up 143 rushing yards. In the process, Jackson became the first player in NFL history to ever compile 350-plus passing yards and 100-plus rushing yards in the same game.....

......where they scored 12 points....and lost. 

Sarcasm off...

• Like 3