Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After Ballard's end of season press conf

Ballard talked about the 3-tech being the cog of this defense. He also talked about Special Teams needing to get better. He always looking for good O-linemen and he mentioned how the Defense had a noticeable drop when Kenny Moore went down, so I looked around for some players I think would fit those holes really well.

*not in order of draft position*

Javon Kinlaw- most of us know who he is. Derrick Brown is the #1 DT and Kinlaw is probly #2. One thing about Javon that was brought up in a "For the COLTure" podcast is Javon getting pushed to the turf.. a lot. Great upperbody strength, great quickness, but he needs to get more lower body muscle to match his upperbody.

Brandon Aiyuk- KR/PR/WR from Arizona State.  Great quickness and agility. Phenomenal top-end speed.

Darnay Holmes- Nickel CB from UCLA. "To give you an idea of how fast he is, Holmes was the only player I watched on film last season who could run stride for stride with Oklahoma’s Marquise “Hollywood” Brown on a vertical route. " The Draft Network analysis.

John Simpson- OG, Clemson
-Outland Trophy semifinalist, 6'4 330lbs

• Like 3

This might sound weird, but we could experiment with Banogu at the three technique on passing downs. He was incredibly effective rushing from the inside rather than the edge, both on college and with us. 

Gotta tell ya, I feel like getting a pass rushing DT is like our unicorn. We've been talking about getting one since the Manning years and they're nearly impossible to find. More flameouts than QBs.

On the subject of "fast," check out tape of Penn state WR kj hamler. Holy! Dude's not only FAST, he's fast from his second step!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go Derrick Brown with the pick at 13, he's largely viewed as a Top 10 talent. He will most likely get pushed down because of the teams at tops continual suckage in the draft. 

I could see one of these players available at 13: Ceedee Lamb, Derrick Brown, Jerry Jeudy, Tua Tagovailoa. Those are some of the elite prospects available at positions of need for the Colts. 

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Based upon Ballard's comments about the 3T and the Dline in general, I don't think there is any way he doesn't select a "starting caliber" DT this draft.  Maybe also one in FA or 2 in the draft.

That is what will be interesting. If a QB and DT are both there with first round grades what do they  do. That’s why I hope we can get a DT in FA. What if they love both.

1 hour ago, Gigc said:

This might sound weird, but we could experiment with Banogu at the three technique on passing downs. He was incredibly effective rushing from the inside rather than the edge, both on college and with us. 

Gotta tell ya, I feel like getting a pass rushing DT is like our unicorn. We've been talking about getting one since the Manning years and they're nearly impossible to find. More flameouts than QBs.

On the subject of "fast," check out tape of Penn state WR kj hamler. Holy! Dude's not only FAST, he's fast from his second step!

Absolutely... all those years of drafting in the 20-30 range in the 1st round either saw us get scooped on blue-chip DTs.... or we'd just plain whiff on them.

Booger stepped in nicely when we won the Super Bowl.... but imagine how Freeney, Mathis and a Warren Sapp-like 3-tech aboard for those years might have changed things. 

This is why....if Brown or Kinlaw are on the board at #13, I hope we snag one of them.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is what will be interesting. If a QB and DT are both there with first round grades what do they  do. That’s why I hope we can get a DT in FA. What if they love both.

Determine what kind of player will be there at 34. 

Most likely, if no QB they like will be there, they take the QB at 13 and the second tier Dline at 34.  Its easier to get a good second tier DL to play well than it is a second tier QB, IMO.

Or they can do what @chad72 mock did.  Trade up to the bottom of the 1st to take whomever they didn't take at 13.

If the Colts got their starting Qb and 3T with their first three picks, then got their new TE/WR hybrid in early round 3, I'd be fine with the entire draft.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go Derrick Brown with the pick at 13, he's largely viewed as a Top 10 talent. He will most likely get pushed down because of the teams at tops continual suckage in the draft. 

I dont think Derrick Brown will  be there @ 13 ,hence, Kinlaw

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gigc said:

K.J. is fast! My knock against him is size tho. 5'9 175lbs..

Aiyuk is 6'1 205 

There is a bit of mock draft "mania" going on where you see a player at a spot again and again......

Then you kind of mentally "lock it in" as the gospel

Then on draft day it all changes

In the past a few of the people on the team I was on would each do a mock draft and input $25 each in the pot.

Whoever got the most right players to the right team would get the pot  

It was amazing how few we picked correctly ...... but the people that get PAID to do... also are MOSTLY WRONG!!!

After embarassing myself on the 2019 draft predictions, I may be lesss specific this year  :)

My prediction for round ONE...... drum roll..... The Colts will take a PLAYER

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FalseStart said:

In order of preference;

1. Brown DT

2. Epenesa DE

3.  Jeudy WR

4. Wirfs OT

5. Delpit S

6. GrossMatos DE

7. Kinlaw DT

8. Okudah CB

8. Leatherwood OT

9. Lamb WR

10. Johnson WR

Leatherwood announced he was going back to school a few days ago.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

There is a bit of mock draft "mania" going on where you see a player at a spot again and again......

In the past a few of the people on the team I was on would each do a mock draft and input $25 each in the pot.

It was amazing how few we picked correctly ...... but the people that get PAID to do... also are MOSTLY WRONG!!!

After embarassing myself on the 2019 draft predictions, I may be lesss specific this year  :)

Haha this is so true tho. You can predict it to a degree, but a lot changes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think you have to go QB if there is one there, because even though the good ones are going to be crazy expensive good DTs hit FA far more frequently than good QBs. 

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

haha I agree, the Colts will take a Player and trying to predict Who is futile.

I'm not doing a mock draft. I just heard what Ballard had to say in the press conference and based off that I did some research on the positions he brought up. 3-tech, Nickel CB, etc 

For so long I have wanted my Colts to have an Elite D-lineman. Idk if Kinlaw is that guy. Heck, Derrick Brown could end up a bust, you never know. Having an Elite 3-tech really would change this Defense and it's the 1 thing that has been soooo allusive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I could see one of these players available at 13: Ceedee Lamb, Derrick Brown, Jerry Jeudy, Tua Tagovailoa. Those are some of the elite prospects available at positions of need for the Colts. 

Jerry Jeudy?   The number one receiver in the top class of receivers?   You think he’s lasting to pick 13? 

Holy Cow!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vexed said:

Call me crazy if you must... but I go OL in the first four picks here. We’re just one injury away from potentially not being productive in the running game. I like Haeg, but frankly quality depth there has me on edge.

You arent crazy

If AC scoots.... lT becomes a HUGE spot to fill

IMHO if he stays.... OT is still a need

I think we have weak RG play.......  We could move RT in to RG, and play a rookie at RT, who might slide to LT after AC retires

To me, it one of 4 BIG holes

DT, WR, QB, and OT 

I would probably STILL do 3T first pick

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vexed said:

Call me crazy if you must... but I go OL in the first four picks here. We’re just one injury away from potentially not being productive in the running game. I like Haeg, but frankly quality depth there has me on edge.

Actually I meant to say OL in one of the first four picks... not OL with all the first four picks as it seems to read that way

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vexed said:

Actually I meant to say OL in one of the first four picks... not OL with all the first four picks as it seems to read that way

I very much appreciate the clarity.  I was super confused for a sec.  Talk about overkill, haha!  I think you won't find too many that disagree with OL depth needing to be addressed.  Not crazy at all!

• Like 3

Personally I would go after a #1 WR or hope one of the top 2 LTs fall to us. Than top dl in 2nd. Than start trading picks for next years draft. 

Give JB 1 more year with healthier receivers. If it don't work we can get Lawrence, and might not have to trade future picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Personally I would go after a #1 WR or hope one of the top 2 LTs fall to us. Than top dl in 2nd. Than start trading picks for next years draft. 

Give JB 1 more year with healthier receivers. If it don't work we can get Lawrence, and might not have to trade future picks.

To get Lawrence, you're going to have to have the first pick in the draft. You're going to have to lose 14-15 games. That's not going to happen with this Colts team.

that's why you can't just wait around assuming you'll get a QB down the line.

if you don't have the "one" you have to be actively trying to GET the "one."

• Like 4

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chris Ballard talked about nickel corner impacting our defense because Kenny Moore got hurt.

He did NOT talk about the position as one to be filled because we lack someone at that spot.  The position is filled.   His name is Kenny Moore. 

Ya. When Moore went down it impacted our D. We need a backup that can fill his role as well as he plays. I never said Ballard said we needed a Nickel CB. You're assuming that.

15 hours ago, Vexed said:

The 4th person in my post is John Simpson, OG, Clemson.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gigc said:

To get Lawrence, you're going to have to have the first pick in the draft. You're going to have to lose 14-15 games. That's not going to happen with this Colts team.

that's why you can't just wait around assuming you'll get a QB down the line.

if you don't have the "one" you have to be actively trying to GET the "one."

Maybe I should've elaborated more. We don't sign Funchess and he has a great year that = draft pick. Ebron finds 3rd life in the nfl that = draft pick. Do your homework which Ballard does you have a good idea who's going to be at the top of the draft in 2021. Trade a few of your 2020 picks to those teams to be close to the top of the round. 

This gives Fountain and some other injury guys a year to come back and reprove why we drafted them. Lewis, Turay, Benogu, Fountain and Barton. 

We could walk out of 2020 draft picking 3 trading 4 picks, and coming into around 12 picks in 2021. Of those 12 we might manage to get #1 pick, or JB proves he is elite. Either way we got a QB.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 4:27 PM, DougDew said:

Determine what kind of player will be there at 34. 

Most likely, if no QB they like will be there, they take the QB at 13 and the second tier Dline at 34.  Its easier to get a good second tier DL to play well than it is a second tier QB, IMO.

Or they can do what @chad72 mock did.  Trade up to the bottom of the 1st to take whomever they didn't take at 13.

If the Colts got their starting Qb and 3T with their first three picks, then got their new TE/WR hybrid in early round 3, I'd be fine with the entire draft.

I do hope they trade up.  Could u see  Kinlaw or Brown at 13 and trade up for Fromm in the 1st??

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I do hope they trade up.  Could u see  Kinlaw or Brown at 13 and trade up for Fromm in the 1st??

I don't think I'd trade up for Fromm.  At least I wouldn't consider it until the combine.  I think his physicals will allow him to drop to 34, and I'm not sure I'd take him there either.

I like Herbert and Eason for college QBs.  Love seems like a risk, or too much a feast/famine Winston-like 30/30 guy.   Not buying or selling him yet.

At this point I'm leaning towards the vet stop-gap route until a more suitable QB is available in future drafts.  Need to build the roster anyway.  No point in forcing a college QB, it would just waste a pick that we need on other things. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

Another really good 3-tech that isn't getting much hype yet is Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M. 

I've seen his name mentioned a few times on here.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2020/01/04/justin-madubuike-welcome-to-2020-nfl-draft-first-round-coversation/

I wasn't super impressed by his highlights. Really hoping Derrick Brown makes it to us at 13 or we're able to land DT Chris Jones in free agency. If not I would be happy getting a guy like Raequan Williams from Michigan State later in the draft as someone who can simply help stop the run. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 4:06 PM, DougDew said:

Based upon Ballard's comments about the 3T and the Dline in general, I don't think there is any way he doesn't select a "starting caliber" DT this draft.  Maybe also one in FA or 2 in the draft.

There’s only 2 starter caliber 3Ts in this draft; Brown and Kinlaw

All the rest of the prospects are true 1T’s. I liked Marvin Wilson but he went back to school. So you basically have to get a 3T at 13 or you miss out. That’s why I think the pick at 13 is either Kinlaw or a QB.

• Like 1