Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My opinion: If the Patriots move on from Brady and he hits FA, we have to be in on that.


Recommended Posts

I'm not entirely sure it's going to happen, but the rumors are a bit too persistent and a bit too grounded in reality to ignore entirely.  There is a sense that this might be Brady's last year in New England as the Patriots brace for a new era.

 

If that's the case, I want the Colts to be in on that and try to make a deal that makes sense.

 

The fact is that if Brady does hit the market we're almost a perfect landing spot.  We have a world class offensive line, a lot of good options on the short pass, TY for the long game, and a good run attack.  We've also got a good receiving back which is something Brady seems to like having around.  We're practically purpose built to take the pressure off an aging but supremely skilled QB 

 

I'm sure this sentiment isn't going to be universally shared.  The guy beat us too many times for everyone to love the idea.  But me I say that this guy was a match for Manning when both were in their prime, and he's still out there.  It might be our only chance to actually bag an elite QB.

 

And again, this is entirely dependent on the Patriots actually releasing Brady, and Brady not retiring. I think Brady will hit the market if released, but no one has any idea whats' going on in New England at the moment.  So I guess we'll see

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm not entirely sure it's going to happen, but the rumors are a bit too persistent and a bit too grounded in reality to ignore entirely.  There is a sense that this might be Brady's last year in New England as the Patriots brace for a new era.

 

If that's the case, I want the Colts to be in on that and try to make a deal that makes sense.

 

The fact is that if Brady does hit the market we're almost a perfect landing spot.  We have a world class offensive line, a lot of good options on the short pass, TY for the long game, and a good run attack.  We've also got a good receiving back which is something Brady seems to like having around.  We're practically purpose built to take the pressure off an aging but supremely skilled QB 

 

I'm sure this sentiment isn't going to be universally shared.  The guy beat us too many times for everyone to love the idea.  But me I say that this guy was a match for Manning when both were in their prime, and he's still out there.  It might be our only chance to actually bag an elite QB.

 

And again, this is entirely dependent on the Patriots actually releasing Brady, and Brady not retiring. I think Brady will hit the market if released, but no one has any idea whats' going on in New England at the moment.  So I guess we'll see

I would like to see the quarterback problem solved instead of a band aide fix. Colts will be in the same situation in a year or two if the signed Brady.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, Brady is nearing the end of his shelf life as a QB, and would be nothing more than a temporary, stop-gap solution, if that. I'd rather draft our QB of the future--the next Patrick Mahomes--than extend our mediocrity for another two years.

 

Edit: Or, start Chad Kelly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, masterlock said:

IMO, Brady is nearing the end of his shelf life as a QB, and would be nothing more than a temporary, stop-gap solution, if that. I'd rather draft our QB of the future--the next Patrick Mahomes--than extend our mediocrity for another two years.

 

Edit: Or, start Chad Kelly.

So you'd rather dream than win.  Good to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

No way I can go from hating this guy for the vast majority of my life to rooting for him on Sundays

 

See I don't get that attitude.  I mean it's one thing if a guy murdered someone or beat his wife or abused his kids or did drugs.  Brady broke NFL procedural rules.  It's not on the same plane at all to me.

 

As for hating him -- of course we hate him.  He was a thorn in our side because he's a dang good football player.  I want that skill on our side for once.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard pass. Would rather suffer through mediocrity for another year or two then have him as our QB. Plus he wouldn’t be the same without Belichick. I value playing the game by the rules and having morals over winning Lombardis, I’m sure several other Colts fans do as well. JMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, masterlock said:

IMO, Brady is nearing the end of his shelf life as a QB, and would be nothing more than a temporary, stop-gap solution, if that. I'd rather draft our QB of the future--the next Patrick Mahomes--than extend our mediocrity for another two years.

 

Edit: Or, start Chad Kelly.

 

So was Peyton Manning in 2013 when he torched the league for 5400 yds and 55 touchdowns. Brady's had zero help on offense in NE this year. With a top 5 rushing game, top o-line, good tight ends and playmakers at receiver (we would need to bring a big one in FA for him to even consider coming here), he would be up there in numbers and efficiency. Of course it is a stop gap decision. But it makes more sense to me to get somebody like him, cut Brissett and draft a qb than it does to keep Brissett and draft a qb, or worse don't draft a qb. We would be automatic contender's with Brady under center, guaranteed. We aren't with Brissett or a rookie... 

 

Edit: Chad Kelly's never starting here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

So was Peyton Manning in 2013 when he torched the league for 5400 yds and 55 touchdowns. Brady's had zero help on offense in NE this year. With a top 5 rushing game, top o-line, good tight ends and playmakers at receiver (we would need to bring a big one in FA for him to even consider coming here), he would be up there in numbers and efficiency. Of course it is a stop gap decision. But it makes more sense to me to get somebody like him, cut Brissett and draft a qb than it does to keep Brissett and draft a qb, or worse don't draft a qb. We would be automatic contender's with Brady under center, guaranteed. We aren't with Brissett or a rookie... 

Yeah this is kind of where I am.

 

Any baseball fans here?  When the Rangers signed Nolan Ryan at age 42 I'm sure they weren't expecting 4 solid years of top level starting pitching before he finally broke down. 

 

Brady is as much of a physical outlier as Ryan was.  And a top QB is even harder to find than a pitching ace.  It's worth the risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Yeah this is kind of where I am.

 

Any baseball fans here?  When the Rangers signed Nolan Ryan at age 42 I'm sure they weren't expecting 5 solid years of top level starting pitching before he finally broke down.  Brady is as much of a physical outlier as Ryan was.


As much as I have despised Brady and the Patriots, I respect their game and the ability to continue to win (stretching the rules or not). I would much rather see #12 contending in a Colts jersey and possibly knocking NE out of the playoffs in the process, than i would see him win #7 in a Patriots uniform.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm not entirely sure it's going to happen, but the rumors are a bit too persistent and a bit too grounded in reality to ignore entirely.  There is a sense that this might be Brady's last year in New England as the Patriots brace for a new era.

 

If that's the case, I want the Colts to be in on that and try to make a deal that makes sense.

 

The fact is that if Brady does hit the market we're almost a perfect landing spot.  We have a world class offensive line, a lot of good options on the short pass, TY for the long game, and a good run attack.  We've also got a good receiving back which is something Brady seems to like having around.  We're practically purpose built to take the pressure off an aging but supremely skilled QB 

 

I'm sure this sentiment isn't going to be universally shared.  The guy beat us too many times for everyone to love the idea.  But me I say that this guy was a match for Manning when both were in their prime, and he's still out there.  It might be our only chance to actually bag an elite QB.

 

And again, this is entirely dependent on the Patriots actually releasing Brady, and Brady not retiring. I think Brady will hit the market if released, but no one has any idea whats' going on in New England at the moment.  So I guess we'll see

 

You realize that his stats this year are only 1 spot higher than Brissett’s right? With a better team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, csmopar said:

You realize that his stats this year are only 1 spot higher than Brissett’s right? With a better team. 

Not in any way that matters to a QB

 

We had a WAY better offensive line, a WAY better rushing attack, WAY better TEs (seriously, I'd take either Doyle or Ebron over anyone NE started at TE this year).  Brady started with an incredible receiving unit but that got scattered to the winds even before ours did.

 

The offensive line woes alone make this comparison imperfect IMHO.  Not only did they lose their first string centerman and have to play a backup C all year, but they had Marshall Newhouse inflicted on them at guard until another injured OL, Isaiah Wynn, got back on the field.  That's going to hurt any QBs numbers.

 

That and even with those setbacks they still went 12-4, so I mean, take that QBR and put it in context.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Colt fans have gone mad.

Staying the course with JB when he can't complete rudimentary passes, consistently, that's mad. I'm still waiting to see an argument for it that's grounded in wanting to win and not just conventional football conservative theory. There's every reason to want a better QB. With that said, Tom isn't on my wish list, several reasons, not the least of which is that I've talked so much crap about the guy I couldn't root for him, even as a Colt. I'd probably revert to hoping that the curse the Deflategate apologists have promised that the Colts have will be turned on Tom. I'm half joking of course, but he's not looking the part this year.

I'd honestly rather have Phil at this juncture, full well knowing that might not work out too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coltsfanej said:

 

I would rather LOSE with JB or CK than to win with Brady. 

Bingo

 

Additionally, I hold Brady and CK's past misdeeds against them. As with other players, I don't want to root for the miscreant, cheater, drug user (juicing, etc) types. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

screw that the dude will cost too much and is declining fast plus he may only play 1 more year. what the hell good is that? I also think Brady is a system QB that will be even worse if he leaves BB system.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say this but if we signed him for just 1 year our chances of winning the SB would be really good. We have a Line that can protect him, he would kill it throwing it to TY Hilton as well, Hines would have huge days too. If Tom came here, imagine how many Free Agents would want to come here too. I am only saying for 1, maybe 2 years. I just want to win and he and Peyton are the 2 best QB's of this generation

Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted a Tom Brady topic in the free agency section. Didn’t get much traction. But I think Brady would be a good fit behind our line and still draft a young QB to sit behind him. Better than Brissett. Plus he would play indoors and also play the Texans indoors as well. We have a deep threat WR in TY Hilton. A decent TE in Jack Doyel and potentially another FA TE pickup. It would make sense. The only cons is that he’s caused too much animosity for Colts fans in the last decade +. Might cost us $25-$30M to have him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady needed Gronk and Edelman the past couple of seasons anyway.  Gronk left, Brady became less of a QB.  Go figure.

 

We don't have either one.

 

Hard pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

 

See I don't get that attitude.  I mean it's one thing if a guy murdered someone or beat his wife or abused his kids or did drugs.  Brady broke NFL procedural rules.  It's not on the same plane at all to me.

 

As for hating him -- of course we hate him.  He was a thorn in our side because he's a dang good football player.  I want that skill on our side for once.

You seem to have a strong opinion, hence replying to every post. There is no way that Colts fans would/ should be able to get behind Brady. We hate the Patriots, period. Everything Patriots. Winning be dambed, never will I root for them. I got sucked into the McDaniels fiasco, never again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No way Brady would come to the Colts after 'Deflate Gate'. I think he despises the Colts as much as the Colt fans despise him. If he agreed to come he'd probably pull a McDaniel move to try to get back at us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

No way Brady would come to the Colts after 'Deflate Gate'. I think he despises the Colts as much as the Colt fans despise him. If he agreed to come he'd probably pull a McDaniel move to try to get back at us.

He might, never know about those guys lmao .

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would group Brady with Belichick, McDaniels, and Kraft regarding his sentiments about the Colts organization.  I could see him agreeing to come here and then backing out or retiring at the last minute (he can afford it).  I don't trust him and wouldn't want him here.  I'd rather move on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is where I was going with it earlier, it would be hilarious.

 

It might just actually ruin Brady for their fans, and that idea makes me happy. I am a sad sad man haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady’s a California guy. I would think he’d want to go back to his home state before going into the sunset. I think he’ll probably either retire or stay with the Patriots one more year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The best QB's of the last generation. Why not see if Brett Favre will come out of retirement. The guy is a system QB. Not saying he isn't good, but put him on a team other than the Patriots and I'm guessing he has maybe one ring and is not considered an all time great. But most importantly he's done. Anybody who watched Johnny Unitas or Joe Montana's slow deaths at the end of their careers knows what I'm talking about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Buckner is a freaking monster. Would not have wanted to be that tiny WR trying to get that ball back from Buckner. He’s playing with a chip and I like it No. And he’s wasnt gonna be worth much to trade either. Plus you can’t trade a player on IR. Oh and the trade deadline has passed.
    • I don’t think they want to change the entire offense to suit Taylor this year. It’s not as simple as people think.    
    • Which if he’d had any balls, he’d refused. 
    • By now most should realize the Colts prefer to retain their own as much as possible.  The defense is much improved with the signing in place but always room for improvement at key positions.  Below is my FA/resign list have already put together mid-season.   Colts FA ~58m: QB Jacoby Brissett 21.3 WR T.Y. Hilton 14.5 TE Jack Doyle 8.5 RDE Denico Autry 5.7 ILB Anthony Walker 2.2 S Tavon Wilson 750k DB Tremon Smith 750k (keeper?) WR Marcus Johnson 582k (practice squad) S Malik Hooker 4m WR Ashton Dulin 542k   Resign ~ 90m QB Philip Rivers 26.3m (probably will drop) DE Justin Houston 11m (3-4 good years left like Mathis and Freeny) DB Xavier Rhodes 8m RG Mark Glowinski 6.9 (improved game this year) RDT Grover Stewart 7.5m (most improved player on defense) DE Al-Quadin Muhammad 3m OL Le’Raven Clark 1.2m DB T.J. Carrie 1.2m (special teamer) TE Trey Burton 4.5m S George Odum 1.25 TE Mo Alie-Cox (RFA) – 6.25m DT Taylor Stallworth 1m (otc hit 4.8m in 1 game) LT Chaz Green 850k (special teams) WR Zach Pascal 7m RB Marlon Mack 4m (when healthy proved to be lead back) C Joey Hunt 300k RG Jake Eldrenkamp 200k (special teamer) Edge Cassius Marsh 250k (special teamer) TE Farrod Green 200k (practice squad) S Ibraheim Campbell 200k (special teamer)
    • Originally was thinking we would be closer to 100 mil in cap space but sounds more like 75 mil.  Kind of why for this example only budgeted ~40 mil for FAs after calculating ~95 mil to resign players while leaving a minimum of 20 mil to sign draftees.  This should still allow discretionary cap space for the Club to do as needed short-term.
  • Members

    • Hoose

      Hoose 1,244

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nadine

      Nadine 10,760

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • The Peytonator

      The Peytonator 2,731

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • csmopar

      csmopar 10,764

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BlueStallion

      BlueStallion 78

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dunk

      Dunk 23

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Rally5

      Rally5 721

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nickster

      Nickster 597

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltfaninnewyork

      coltfaninnewyork 644

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Coltpwr

      Coltpwr 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...