Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Derek Carr Information

Okay, so we have had multiple threads dedicated to the idea that trading for Derek Carr would be a great idea.  Even though I believe in Jacoby, I actually really like that idea.

My question is, is there actually anything discussing him getting traded or cut?  Is there anything that is actually linking us to him?

This is not bashing or sarcasm.  If you have anything please post in this thread.  I am genuinely interested.

I haven't seen anything sourced that we will be pursuing Carr. I'm also not sure if there is sourced information that suggests he will be available for trade, but I'm not following the Raiders as closely so I might have missed it. 

Also, I don't really like the idea giving up picks and big contract to what ultimately is a very average QB. I think it leaves you very little margin for error elsewhere on the roster. I would much rather we keep Jacoby and develop a rookie QB of Reich's and Ballard's choosing. 

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

My question is, is there actually anything discussing him getting traded or cut?  Is there anything that is actually linking us to him?

Yes sir, there is smoke out there that the Raiders are considering moving on from Carr when they move to Las Vegas (nothing concrete linking Carr to the Colts, yet, though):

The Raiders’ 7-9 finish represented a three-game improvement from 2018. A similar jump next year will put them in the playoffs. Carr, who threw for 4,054 yards and 21 touchdowns this season, is convinced it’s within reach.

“I hope so,” he said. “We better be.”

The “we” part might seem presumptuous given speculation that the Raiders — specifically coach Jon Gruden and general manager Mike Mayock — might consider a quarterback change as the franchise moves from Oakland to Las Vegas.

When asked Monday if Carr was a certainty next year, Gruden was non-committal.

“I’m not going to get into all the next-years scenarios,” Gruden said. “I’m just gonna say that 7-9 is a step forward; we took a step forward."

Source: https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/gruden-not-ready-to-make-call-on-raiders-2020-quarterback-1924698/

Thanks for the information. 

min regards to conspiracy theory. If you wanna try to make a connection between Colts and Carr, Ballard did come from Kansas City during the time that the Raiders drafted him. He would probably have Scouted him and would have seen him twice per year. So if he likes him he definitely has the information on him, first hand. 

plus who wouldn’t want this... Indy Carr, lol. 

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I saw something about how Carr wants to throw downfield more. He isn’t happy in the dunk and dunk system.

Well his top receiver was Waller a TE. 

I lurked recently on the RaIders forum, and they jokingly  refer to  Carr as “checkdown Charlie.” It’s not a compliment and a lot don’t  like Carr at all. 

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Well his top receiver was Waller a TE. 

I lurked recently on the RaIders forum, and they jokingly  refer to  Carr as “checkdown Charlie.” It’s not a compliment and a lot to not like Carr at all. 

The point is it sounds like Carr doesn’t like it. He wants a more open offense. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The point is it sounds like Carr doesn’t like it. He wants a more open offense. 

Fair enough! I’ll grow more excited about Carr when someone can share a link he’s, 1. available and 2. linked to Indy. So far notta!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Fair enough! I’ll grow more excited about Carr when someone can share a link he’s, 1. available and 2. linked to Indy. So far notta!

http://justblogbaby.com/2019/12/04/possible-trade-destinations-for-derek-carr-in-2020/3/

Dont know if that does anything for you. 

"Raiders

RECEIVE

2020 Round 2, Pick No. 37

Colts

RECEIVE

Derek Carr"

Picks obviously is #34 now.

• Thanks 1

Gruden/Mayock have too many draft picks to not take a new face of the franchise.  

It sounds like Ballard gave more support to JB being the starter next season than Gruden did to Carr, and a lot of us don't think JB will be the starter.  

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Let’s say Ballard loves a QB in this draft. I don’t see him making a trade before the draft even if he was interested. He probably wants his own guy they can groom. Oakland would be dumb to deal Carr before the draft unless the move up before the draft and are assured  they would get who they want.

FWIW I think Carr receives 2.9m guaranteed on 2/5/20.  I think they could avoid paying that if he is moved before then.  Getting another high pick to go along with what they already have gives them enough to pretty much get whoever they want by moving up.  They might not get a high pick in return if they wait to the last moment.  There could be a lot of movement on the QB front leading up to the draft.  They could lose some leverage.  JMO. 

Several of the talking heads are talking about Carr NOT being a Gruden "type"

Gruden had a final press conference and said that Carr "played well"

But.... there was no commitment either way

I think its probably a 25% chance that Carr is available..... but....... 

How much do they want for him?

59 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Several of the talking heads are talking about Carr NOT being a Gruden "type"

Gruden had a final press conference and said that Carr "played well"

But.... there was no commitment either way

I think its probably a 25% chance that Carr is available..... but....... 

How much do they want for him?

Here's my thinking:

It sounds like Gruden is hedging.  I don't think a HC hedges with his starting QB unless he thinks the QB might not be here next season.  That could come from either a possible a contract negotiation, where the player might choose to not resign, or, the HC himself wants to move on if he can.

It sounds like Gruden is in the same situation as Ballard, where they are looking for an upgrade but will go with their current starter if things don't fall right.

Carr won't be available until draft day or after.  None of the teams who are drafting ahead of us can trade their first pick because the Raiders would have to make that trade BEFORE they picked their guy at #12.  There is no guarantee who will be available at pick 12, so the LVR won't expose themselves like that. Not to mention Carr isn't worth a high first rounder, IMO, so LAC, CAR, MIA, etc won't be trading their high pick.

And none of those high drafting teams have a better second rounder than our Redskins pick.  So if Gruden takes a QB in the high first round, we are in the driver's seat to get Carr, IMO. 

It would be a matter of whether Gruden would want a first round next year or pick 34 this year.  They are both the same value on the draft value chart, IIRC.

I would guess it would take pick 34, plus some other throw ins, like JB with a better contract and/or another late or mid round pick this year or next.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I would guess it would take pick 34, plus some other throw ins, like JB with a better contract and/or another late or mid round pick this year or next.

Gruden wouldn’t want anything to do with JB, pick 34 is a given to get Carr and probably more.

Too many teams NEED a QB, and Carr is an above average QB.

He just doesn’t fit what Gruden wants in his QB supposedly. And it doesn’t lesson Carr’s value one bit in trade. 

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Here's my thinking:

It sounds like Gruden is hedging.  I don't think a HC hedges with his starting QB unless he thinks the QB might not be here next season.  That could come from either a possible a contract negotiation, where the player might choose to not resign, or, the HC himself wants to move on if he can.

It sounds like Gruden is in the same situation as Ballard, where they are looking for an upgrade but will go with their current starter if things don't fall right.

Carr won't be available until draft day or after.  None of the teams who are drafting ahead of us can trade their first pick because the Raiders would have to make that trade BEFORE they picked their guy at #12.  There is no guarantee who will be available at pick 12, so the LVR won't expose themselves like that. Not to mention Carr isn't worth a high first rounder, IMO, so LAC, CAR, MIA, etc won't be trading their high pick.

And none of those high drafting teams have a better second rounder than our Redskins pick.  So if Gruden takes a QB in the high first round, we are in the driver's seat to get Carr, IMO. 

It would be a matter of whether Gruden would want a first round next year or pick 34 this year.  They are both the same value on the draft value chart, IIRC.

Here is what I think.  LAC,CAR and MIA ALL could be in the market for drafting a QB.  There is so much that could happen between now and the draft.  If Gruden has decided he wants to draft a QB and go with him next year then the time to acquire that pick is now and moving Carr would make sense to me.  Accumulate your draft capital now and make your move to move up now like the Jets did with our trade with them a few years ago.  The longer you wait the less leverage you have IMO.  On draft day you are going to sit at 12 and see what happens vs acquiring more draft capital now and jumping ahead now to secure a top five pick.  If your mind is made up then the quicker you do it the better chance you have of getting your guy.  If you wait some other team could jump you.  I really don't see the advantage of waiting.  Not to mention they could save almost 3m if they do it before Feb fifth. 

45 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Gruden wouldn’t want anything to do with JB, pick 34 is a given to get Carr and probably more.

Too many teams NEED a QB, and Carr is an above average QB.

He just doesn’t fit what Gruden wants in his QB supposedly. And it doesn’t lesson Carr’s value one bit in trade. 

That 34th pick is very valuable to get a starter with

IF... a BIG IF....    We went the Carr route  (HIGHLY unlikely, but fun to chat what ifs)

I would offer the 2nd 2nd, AND a 4th...... (If they didnt go for lesser picks)

We have an immediate need for WR and DT that the first two could yield

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

That 34th pick is very valuable to get a starter with

IF... a BIG IF....    We went the Carr route  (HIGHLY unlikely, but fun to chat what ifs)

I would offer the 2nd 2nd, AND a 4th...... (If they didnt go for lesser picks)

We have an immediate need for WR and DT that the first two could yield

Although, you said this Carr discussion is all in fun and I certainly agree, I wonder with the folks here who are strong advocates in acquiring Carr, are they also in favor of paying the price it would take to acquire Carr. :woah:

10 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Although, you said this Carr discussion is all in fun and I certainly agree, I wonder with the folks here who are strong advocates in acquiring Carr, are they also in favor of paying the price it would take to acquire Carr. :woah:

Of COURSE NOT  :)

We want it fo' FREE.......  

To me... Carr ISNT tier 1, but he is MUCH safer than a rookie QB "lottery".

A Lottery that we may need to play 4 or 5 times to get a QB that we need.

Carr is top 15........ good enough for me, if we can build a team around him

And....... if we draft well and bring in a FA or two...... we IMMEDIATELY go back in playoff contention, and have our franchise QB for 5-8 years

If there is interest from the Raiders..... I am starting CHEAP,...... then prolly end up giving away a 2nd  :(

But again.... this is availability of Carr is one of HUNDREDS of rumors that will come up in posts, between now and April ..... that end up NOT being true

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Here is what I think.  LAC,CAR and MIA ALL could be in the market for drafting a QB.  There is so much that could happen between now and the draft.  If Gruden has decided he wants to draft a QB and go with him next year then the time to acquire that pick is now and moving Carr would make sense to me.  Accumulate your draft capital now and make your move to move up now like the Jets did with our trade with them a few years ago.  The longer you wait the less leverage you have IMO.  On draft day you are going to sit at 12 and see what happens vs acquiring more draft capital now and jumping ahead now to secure a top five pick.  If your mind is made up then the quicker you do it the better chance you have of getting your guy.  If you wait some other team could jump you.  I really don't see the advantage of waiting.  Not to mention they could save almost 3m if they do it before Feb fifth. 

The Jets scenario isn't exactly the same.  There were three QBs rated as being in the top 5 players, at least they were considered to go 1,2,3.....then Allen.   Jets could move up to the third pick at any time, knowing they would get one of the top three guys.

I think Gruden probably will want either Herbert or Love.  If he wants Jordan Love, he may be thinking he doesn't have to move up to pick 2 or 3.  In which case, he wouldn't know now how far up he has to move until the player rankings become more clear.

I could see your point if he wants Herbert, trade ASAP, but Love I think he would want to wait to see how the entire draft is shaping up.

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

Of COURSE NOT  :)

We want it fo' FREE.......  

To me... Carr ISNT tier 1, but he is MUCH safer than a rookie QB lottery.

And....... if we draft well and bring in a FA or two...... we IMMEDIATELY go back in playoff contention, and have our franchise QB for 5-8 years

If there is interest from the Raiders..... I am starting CHEAP,...... then prolly end up giving away a 2nd

Personally, I’d rather see the Colts go with P. Rivers on a 2 year deal. Draft a replacement who sits, cut JB and save some draft collateral.

Rivers is a “bridge QB” with the ability to get the Colts to the playoffs in 2020 and the future still progressing forward nicely.

Folks want to bash Rivers, but playing behind a bad O-Line he still managed to average 288yds a game. I see know reason he couldn’t come close in Indy. 

And it makes everyone else better. No?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I would be.  We don't need an elite top 5 QB.  And to that point, it doesn't sound like Ballard or Reich thinks we need one either.  Carr is a significant upgrade.  I'd do it for both second rounders and next year's second as well.

I mentioned JB to LVR as a throw in since I think his leadership and maturity would fit well with a QB like Love, should Gruden want Love.

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Personally, I’d rather see the Colts go with P. Rivers on a 2 year deal. Draft a replacement who sits, cut JB and save some draft collateral.

Rivers is a “bridge QB” with the ability to get the Colts to the playoffs in 2020 and the future still progressing forward nicely.

Folks want to bash Rivers, but playing behind a bad O-Line he still managed to average 288yds a game. I see know reason he couldn’t come close in Indy. 

Rivers would be a shorter "bridge" than Carr, but would allow you to take someone like my mid round favorite, Gordon, and allow him to learn and develop without being pushed on the field too early

He would also appear to be CHEAP ........

If he still has the juice..... it would put us back in the playoff hunt

You just always wonder how a 38 year old will play 

Other than the Colts game, I havent watched him lately

I guess since you finally got me to "see the light" wih JB...

maybe I will listen to you THIS TIME.... but just this once!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Agree with this.  I'd prefer Eli or Dalton over Rivers tho.  Eli had horrible olines too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

The Jets scenario isn't exactly the same.  There were three QBs rated as being in the top 5 players, at least they were considered to go 1,2,3.....then Allen.   Jets could move up to the third pick at any time, knowing they would get one of the top three guys.

I think Gruden probably will want either Herbert or Love.  If he wants Jordan Love, he may be thinking he doesn't have to move up to pick 2 or 3.  In which case, he wouldn't know now how far up he has to move until the player rankings become more clear.

I could see your point if he wants Herbert, trade ASAP, but Love I think he would want to wait to see how the entire draft is shaping up.

To me it's a big risk deciding on how far to move up when you know who you want.  There are too many variables.  I don't think it would be smart to risk it especially if you are targeting your future franchise QB. Tua declaring is another variable.  Would you wait to see how these guys do at the combine or individual workouts?  They all could improve their situation.  If it's me I get into the first five asap.  BTW If I remember correctly we had the 3rd pick and traded back with the Jets.  Ballard could have traded that pick anytime.  The Jets didn't think they had the luxury to take their time.  Smart move on their part.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

To me it's a big risk deciding on how far to move up when you know who you want.  There are too many variables.  I don't think it would be smart to risk it especially if you are targeting your future franchise QB. Tua declaring is another variable.  Would you wait to see how these guys do at the combine or individual workouts?  They all could improve their situation.  If it's me I get into the first five asap.  BTW If I remember correctly we had the 3rd pick and traded back with the Jets.  Ballard could have traded that pick anytime.  The Jets didn't think they had the luxury to take their time.  Smart move on their part.  

The timeline varies each season, IMO.  You certainly can't make trades until each player has declared for the draft or not.  And then the post season games and combine factors into it.  As does vet free agency where teams might fill holes, which changes draft plans.

In the Nelson draft, there were clearly 7 or 8 players who were considered elite (Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, etc.), with 3 QBs in that group.  Ballard didn't want to trade back below a certain level because he wanted to be assured of getting one of the elite players, and the Jets wanted pick 3 to be able to get one of the QBs.

If the Las Vegas Raiders want a QB, they will need to wait to some point in time where things become clearer because they don't even know yet how many QBs will be considered elite.  I suppose they could just trade up with the NYG at #2 ASAP, but the NYG is said to covet Chase Young.  Then its the Redskins and DET.  Then comes the teams that need a QB.  

Maybe he makes a deal with WAS ASAP and hopes none of the other teams he jumped makes a deal with the NYG.  That's the risk he runs by making a move too soon.  The Jets could hop to 3 quickly because there were three QBs.

12 hours ago, MPStack said:

I’m no fan at all of the current version of Rivers and think he would be more harmful than helpful in the long run. Is he better than having JB, certainly but I’m not sure who isn’t at this point. I’d almost rather look at Brady if I’m taking on an older QB to mentor my next in line guy. And I can’t stand the thought of Tom Brady in a Colts uniform. Eli would also be ahead of Rivers. If I’m running things, I’d certainly have my eye on the possibility of getting Carr as I think he matches this offense, but I’m not giving up the farm to do it. Our 2nd and a 4th at most. Then I take the best DT in the first and BPA with #34. 

So lwt me get get this straight.  We are okay with treading for a qb that lead hos team to a 7 and 9 record.  Color me confuse.  Carr had one good year....signed a big contract and  has done nothing since. I just want to draft a qb.  One that Reich wants.  I like Fromm out of everyone.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

So lwt me get get this straight.  We are okay with treading for a qb that lead hos team to a 7 and 9 record.  Color me confuse.  Carr had one good year....signed a big contract and  has done nothing since. I just want to draft a qb.  One that Reich wants.  I like Fromm out of everyone.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes.  Shoukd have reviewed before sending

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Sorry for the spelling mistakes.  Shoukd have reviewed before sending

2015 - 16  350/573 61.1%   3987yds 7ypc   32TD 13INT   91.1RTG

2016 - 15  357/580 63.8%   3937yds 7ypc   28TD   6INT   96.7RTG

2018 - 16  381/553 68.9%   4049yds 7.3ypc  19TD  10INT   93.9RTG

2019 - 16  381/513 70.4%   4054yds 7.9ypc  21TD    8INT   100.8RTG

I want to know what your definition of "good" is. I'd take these four seasons by a QB every Sunday for the Colts. 

And I'd rather watch McAfee QB before Fromm.. 

14 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

2015 - 16  350/573 61.1%   3987yds 7ypc   32TD 13INT   91.1RTG

2016 - 15  357/580 63.8%   3937yds 7ypc   28TD   6INT   96.7RTG

2018 - 16  381/553 68.9%   4049yds 7.3ypc  19TD  10INT   93.9RTG

2019 - 16  381/513 70.4%   4054yds 7.9ypc  21TD    8INT   100.8RTG

I want to know what your definition of "good" is. I'd take these four seasons by a QB every Sunday for the Colts. 

And I'd rather watch McAfee QB before 

On June 22, 2017, Carr signed a five-year, $125 million contract extension with $40 million fully guaranteed, $70 million in total guarantees and a $12.5 million signing bonus. This deal surpassed Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck's contract as the league's highest paid player in terms of average money per year.  With a disappointing 4–12 record, Carr finished the 2018  season with a career-high 4,049 passing yards, a career-low 19 touchdowns, and ten interceptions. Carr finished the 2019 season with 4,054 passing yards, 21 passing touchdowns, and eight interceptions as the Raiders finished with a 7–9.

An improvement on Brissett?  Maybe, however he like Brissett is not the guy to lead this organization.