Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Four Colts rookies in PFF's top 50 rookies of the 2019 NFL Season

stitches

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've thought the secondary needs growth more than replacing.

A pass rush will make these guys look like all pro’s. Things like time, communication, better scheming, and definitely better pass rushing from the line, will make the back end complete. These kids aren’t bad at all, they do need to get the qb’s scrambling instead of sitting in the pocket surveying the field. Lb’ers are set and we have decent depth too. Get me a DT that can push back the pocket and force the QB to move and we could see that old Tampa bay dominant style. Turay is also gonna help things but need more from Banagu. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

A pass rush will make these guys look like all pro’s. Things like time, communication, better scheming, and definitely better pass rushing from the line, will make the back end complete. These kids aren’t bad at all, they do need to get the qb’s scrambling instead of sitting in the pocket surveying the field. Lb’ers are set and we have decent depth too. Get me a DT that can push back the pocket and force the QB to move and we could see that old Tampa bay dominant style. Turay is also gonna help things but need more from Banagu. 

There have been some comments talking about how a cornerback should be on Ballard's draft board.  I won't say that he won't draft one mid to late in an obvious BPA situation, but the corners we have need more experience together with a better pass rush.

I doubt that any corners or LBs will be added this offseason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I've thought the secondary needs growth more than replacing.

Agreed but both safety spots are questionable too. Hooker needs to play better and at SS we need an enforcer. Maybe that’s Willis but I’d still bring in some competition for him in the draft.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed but both safety spots are questionable too. Hooker needs to play better and at SS we need an enforcer. Maybe that’s Willis but I’d still bring in some competition for him in the draft.

I'm sure the forum knows that I would not shed a tear if Hooker is replaced. 

But most of that comes from the idea that with limited resources, the SS simply has greater positional value than the FS.  So we should be placing greater investment in that position than we have.  Our SS should have been pick 15 and our FS a 4th rounder, especially if all we want the FS to do is to play prevent defense.  That's really my main beef with our safeties.

Having said that, I think there are more holes to worry about than safety or the entire secondary for that matter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm sure the forum knows that I would not shed a tear if Hooker is replaced. 

But most of that comes from the idea that with limited resources, the SS simply has greater positional value than the FS.  So we should be placing greater investment in that position than we have.  Our SS should have been pick 15 and our FS a 4th rounder, especially if all we want the FS to do is to play prevent defense.  That's really my main beef with our safeties.

Having said that, I think there are more holes to worry about than safety or the entire secondary for that matter.

Yeah even Ballard was candid about Hooker’s play. 18th overall pick, he needs to play like it.

But agree about SS. My theory is that part of the reason that people are passing all over us in the middle of the field is because the SS isn’t making the receivers pay. When this season have you seen a receiver catch the ball in the middle of field and get folded in half immediately? Never. You can’t have that in zone. People never did that against Seattle back in the day because Chancellor was back there cleaning guys’ clocks in the middle. Made the QB and receiver think twice.

Plus how important is the deep safety when the middle of the field is always open. It’s not a pressing need like DT is but round 3-4 they should take a big hitting SS who can also cover. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

There have been some comments talking about how a cornerback should be on Ballard's draft board.  I won't say that he won't draft one mid to late in an obvious BPA situation, but the corners we have need more experience together with a better pass rush.

I’ll agree with that. If your front end is bad, Deon Sanders X2 and 2 of the best safeties aren’t going to be as successful as they have always looked. We need pressure and penetration, not new corners. Could we upgrade back there? Always but pressure makes all levels better.  

57 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah even Ballard was candid about Hooker’s play. 18th overall pick, he needs to play like it.

But agree about SS. My theory is that part of the reason that people are passing all over us in the middle of the field is because the SS isn’t making the receivers pay. When this season have you seen a receiver catch the ball in the middle of field and get folded in half immediately? Never. You can’t have that in zone. People never did that against Seattle back in the day because Chancellor was back there cleaning guys’ clocks in the middle. Made the QB and receiver think twice.

Plus how important is the deep safety when the middle of the field is always open. It’s not a pressing need like DT is but round 3-4 they should take a big hitting SS who can also cover. 

Just speaking in terms of safeties, Ed Reed is always mentioned about impactful deep safeties.

I think he's an anomaly.  How many other deep safeties have had an impact?  Who are they?

But I can name several SS.  Bob Sanders.  John Lynch.  Troy Palomalu.  Mike Brown (bears). Even Landon Collins was a name people wanted.

• Thanks 1

I think, whereas last year gave us some elite talent in Leonard and Nelson (and a very good one in Smith), this draft class will hopefully produce solid starters. Willis, Okereke, and hopefully Rock and Tell. Good foundation though.

Also, man, wish we would’ve managed to grab CGR. I know he was rumored to not have the best attitude, but I really liked him coming into the draft. Luckily we have some good guys where he excels, safety/nickel.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just speaking in terms of safeties, Ed Reed is always mentioned about impactful deep safeties.

I think he's an anomaly.  How many other deep safeties have had an impact?  Who are they?

But I can name several SS.  Bob Sanders.  John Lynch.  Troy Palomalu.  Mike Brown (bears). Even Landon Collins was a name people wanted.

I’d add Earl Thomas to that list as well. Also Kevin Byard is a big time playmaker at FS. But yeah you need safeties that can make plays near the ball. If the ball isn’t going deep, then the impact of a prevent safety isn’t much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’d add Earl Thomas to that list as well. Also Kevin Byard is a big time playmaker at FS. But yeah you need safeties that can make plays near the ball. If the ball isn’t going deep, then the impact of a prevent safety isn’t much.

Wasn't Thomas a real force in the middle though.  Not so much known as a deep guy, IIRC.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wasn't Thomas a real force in the middle though.  Not so much known as a deep guy, IIRC.

In Seattle he was the FS and Chancellor was the SS. Thomas just happens to also be good at hitting and tackling, so he was pretty versatile.

Ok, I'm gonna take my chance to be critical, on a post that's supposed to praise the Colts for having 4 guys in the top 50 rookies.

I wanted A.J. Brown.  I wanted him badly.  I think I broke a few things when I saw that we traded down out of the #26 pick, and didn't take him.

That pick eventually became Ben Banogu (#49) and Marvell Tell (#144).

Which says to me that we passed on A.J. Brown twice, since he was taken by the Titans two picks after Banogu at #51.

I'm gonna go off in a corner and growl for a while.  I promise I won't break anything.  This time.

So Ballard gets a top 10 rookie in Okereke, two first round quality guys (through year 1) in Willis and Tell, and a top 50 rookie in Rock-Ya-Sin? All without a 1st rounder? Looks like another solid draft class with a one year sample size. Ballard does it again!

Oh, and we also got the Redskins 2nd round pick which turned out to be pick 34 in the draft!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So Ballard gets a top 10 rookie in Okereke, two first round quality guys (through year 1) in Willis and Tell, and a top 50 rookie in Rock-Ya-Sin? All without a 1st rounder? Looks like another solid draft class with a one year sample size. Ballard does it again!

Oh, and we also got the Redskins 2nd round pick which turned out to be pick 34 in the draft!

Great perspective. Good post!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Agreed here.  After Turay went down, the only DL we had that put any fear into opposing QBs was Houston.  We may be set on the outside if Banogu develops nicely in year 2 and if Turay stays healthy, but I'd still like to see us bring in another edge rusher.  I suspect they'll try to bring Sheard back for another year or two, and he's still an effective run defender but he doesn't do much for me as a rusher.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I could see us not adding a LBer in the draft, but certainly think we'll bring in at least an UDFA or two for camp competition.

Also, I think we really should consider adding a corner and will be shocked if we don't bring at least a few in.  I think we'll be pretty good with Tell, Ya-Sin and Moore as CBs 1-3, but we can certainly upgrade Wilson and I was not very impressed with Desir this past season after his 2018 campaign (maybe he was never fully healthy?  but I think he can be upgraded as well).

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think, whereas last year gave us some elite talent in Leonard and Nelson (and a very good one in Smith), this draft class will hopefully produce solid starters. Willis, Okereke, and hopefully Rock and Tell. Good foundation though.

Also, man, wish we would’ve managed to grab CGR. I know he was rumored to not have the best attitude, but I really liked him coming into the draft. Luckily we have some good guys where he excels, safety/nickel.

I think we'll see Banogu make a big step next year.  He was drafted as a raw talent with knowledge that he'd need 1-2 years to really hone his game to the NFL level.  I also think we'll see Parris Campbell make a big leap (assuming he's healthy).  Additionally, I think we have a couple of good depth pieces in EJ Speed and potentially Gerri Green and Javon Patterson (assuming he makes a full recovery).  

In terms of his previous drafts, we've gotten solid production from Hines and Wilkins as back-up RBs (I think Hines proved this year that we should use his versatility more next year).  Franklin and Adams, while not great, have been pretty good LB depth.  Turay really seemed like he was turning the corner into becoming a solid pass rusher, and I think if he stays healthy we'll see a good year out of him next year and years to come.  I also thought Reece Fountain made big strides this year, and hope to see him come back fully healthy.  Ty Lewis is really the only one from that draft that I don't have much hope in panning out.

In Ballard's first draft we have Hooker starting (I think he's a solid FS, though he seemed to decline this year compared to his first two years, but I hope it's just lack of pass rush and injuries around him in the secondary and that he'll be better with improvements there).  Mack is becoming a very solid RB.  Walker Jr. had a very nice year at LB.  Grover Stewart seems to have really improved this past year and I think will be a solid rotational DL for us moving forward.  Then Wilson seems to have dropped off again after showing signs of promise last year.

While there are a few players from Ballard's three drafts who aren't with the Colts any longer (Banner, Hairston, Basham from year 1, Cain from year 2, Barton year 3) -- every player Ballard has drafted since he's been in Indy is still in the NFL, which is a pretty impressive feat.  IMO, Ballard has been a very solid drafter and he has certainly laid a nice foundation for this team moving forward.  He's done it the way he said he'd do it, as well, which I like about Ballard - seems to be a man of his word.

• Like 3

All the comments around FS not being an impactful position and Hooker being mediocre...

There are ways to scheme him near the ball even in zone...Cover 3. They could blitz him leveraging some of the versatility of some of the other DBs (such as Tell who can play CB and S). Get creative. The dude is rangey and can be a ball hawk given the opportunity..see the one handed pick in the end zone. 

He really isn’t playing in the best D scheme to highlight his abilities. He was made to play in a Cover 1 press man scheme, which is why he balled his first year under Pagano. Also wonder if the ACL took a step away from him. 

In any event I don’t deny CBs criticism (ie he was “solid”). I do think he has a lot more talent than ppl on here are giving him credit for.

With that being said, I think with a few more hits in the pass rush department and a more effective offense will push the D to get more respect Around the league.

Really just highlights that even the better GMs will hit and miss because these are 20 year old kids coming out of college. This isn’t Madden. Talent doesn’t always equal success.

• Like 1