Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dingus McGirt

GM's End of Season Press Conference

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Very honest about Jacoby and Malik. Fans can breathe a sigh of relief if they thought Ballard was just locked into Jacoby. 

His statement on not forcing a QB pick was interesting. To me that doesn’t sound like a guy taking a QB at 13, and certainly doesn’t sound like he’s trading up for one either. If I got anything out of that presser in terms of him tipping his hat on draft day (grasping at straws here for the sake of conversation), it’s that if Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw are there at 13, they’re running the card in.

Great presser overall. Very honest talk from Ballard.

To me this answer didn't say anything about likelyhood of QB at 13 or trading up for one... it just said if we take a QB we better really like him and not just draft one for the sake of drafting one(i.e. forcing one). IMO if he loves a QB he will try to do what it takes to get him. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Haven't listened to it yet, but...

Given the above and some of the other reports I read, him not coming out and saying clearly that JB is the guy in 2020, should tell you more than anything else. 

He's not going to tip his hat on drafting a QB, or who, but I'd lay some money it happens. I just hope they get a DT early too.

Yeah, that's the impression I came away with. 

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not definitive, but doesn't sound like a guy itching to move up for a QB...

I didn’t get that at all. What he is saying you don’t take a QB that high or move up unless you love them.

Ballard always seems to be as straight forward as one in his position can be. I enjoy listening to his interviews. Will listen to this on the way home from work for sure

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Very honest about Jacoby and Malik. Fans can breathe a sigh of relief if they thought Ballard was just locked into Jacoby. 

His statement on not forcing a QB pick was interesting. To me that doesn’t sound like a guy taking a QB at 13, and certainly doesn’t sound like he’s trading up for one either. If I got anything out of that presser in terms of him tipping his hat on draft day (grasping at straws here for the sake of conversation), it’s that if Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw are there at 13, they’re running the card in.

I don't think it sounds like anything.  That's sort of something people already know anyway.  

Thing that is annoying about these press conferences is that the GM doesn't want to show his cards and give away what he's thinking about.  So it ends up just being a bunch of platitudes.  

I honestly think you find out more in the post draft press conferences because than they can talk about their process a bit and what they liked about certain players that they drafted.  But at this point the GM isn't going to give away anything.  Unless he has the #1 overall pick he has to say just basic platitudes.  "We don't want to force a QB" and "We will evaluate the QB position like always do."

I havn't watched the presser but from seeing what people are posting about it, the only real thing we definitively learned is that they are gonna let Ebron walk.  The rest seem to be platitudes. 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I've read a few articles that think he could hit the market. with the cap they have and guys they like behind him I'd love to have him 

I obviously don't know anything, but to me, he should be their highest priority this offseason. Watkins and Hitchens can go, but you have to keep Chris Jones.

If they don't tag him, Ballard should be all over it.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

To me this answer didn't say anything about likelyhood of QB at 13 or trading up for one... it just said if we take a QB we better really like him and not just draft one for the sake of drafting one(i.e. forcing one). IMO if he loves a QB he will try to do what it takes to get him. 

I was just thinking about how he didn’t say that the QB class is top heavy with talent and how he said you can’t force one, really illustrated his thoughts.

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He's not going to tip his hat over who, when, or draft capital value (moving up).

He also admitted in a way that Luck covered up a lot of holes on this roster.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, that's the impression I came away with. 

To me, mostly platitudes. Tried to be as honest as possible so not to be called our for being full of sheet or misleading, but also not tipping his hat. Pretty much what I expected. GM speak. 

To me, it's more about what they don't say.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's not going to tip his hat over who, when, or draft capital value (moving up).

Exactly. . . he's purposefully vague because he has to be to keep his plans secret from 31 other teams.  Plus he doesn't want to bad mouth players to public.

So Ballard's line of thinking could be anything from Brissett is gonna be my starter for the next 10 years to I'm selling the farm to trade up and get a QB.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Exactly. . . he's purposefully vague because he has to be to keep his plans secret from 31 other teams.  Plus he doesn't want to bad mouth players to public.

So Ballard's line of thinking could be anything from Brissett is gonna be my starter for the next 10 years to I'm selling the farm to trade up and get a QB.  

Nah, if he was committed to a guy (JB is my starter going forward), he would say that. It would not impact his draft strategy. That's why I said in another post, it's more about what they don't say.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I obviously don't know anything, but to me, he should be their highest priority this offseason. Watkins and Hitchens can go, but you have to keep Chris Jones.

I agree 100% he is too good to not bring here especially with our need for exactly what he does.

33 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

NVM.  Others made the point I was making.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

To me, mostly platitudes. Tried to be as honest as possible so not to be called our for being full of sheet or misleading, but also not tipping his hat. Pretty much what I expected. GM speak. 

To me, it's more about what they don't say.

This is a really good rule.  They are going to be vague, but there are some very basic things you can learn.

Let's play a game of what if.  What if after last (2018) season a reporter asks Ballard if he's going to add a QB in the offseason (kind of like what was asked here.)  In that situation Ballard's response is likely "We have a lot of confidence in our quarterback room, but if we see someone we think will make us better will will go after him."  - That would roughly be translated to NO.

However this year he said "We will evaluate QB's like we always do, but we don't want to force one."  So I think that translates to something between "Yes" and "We will if the right one falls to the right pick."

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

On QB position: "Jury still out on Jacoby, he did some good things, but he needs to be better" ... 

On drafting QB: "A lot of teams force QB drafts... it's important not to force it" 

Sounds reasonable...

This aligns with a great deal of the Jacoby supporters in here. There has been a lot of tension on this board, and his words tell me that Ballard is exactly the GM I thought he was. 

the force it comment was pretty vague

did the chiefs force it when they took mahomes?  texans with watson?

most teams had them graded lower than they went, it only takes one for them to be a first rounder 

3 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Summing it up, in advance.

"We love Jacoby Brissett.  He's a great leader in the locker room, and a great human being.  He's our starting quarterback going forward."

Good.......we will be the front runners for TL in 2021.

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

most teams had them graded lower than they went, it only takes one for them to be a first rounder 

He’s talking about Mitch.., Jones.. etc

It's easy to trust what this man speaks. I get nothing but genuine honesty from Ballard.

11 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I doubt it.  I think it's clear that today he is not expecting that JB will be his Qb for 10 years.

He doesn't really even know who will be available.  SOme team might make an attractive vet available.  Not all college Qbs have made a decision to enter the draft.

I think its clear that he will be looking to add a QB this offseason, and one that will be better than JB either immediately or with a bit of seasoning.

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I kinda wonder if the "don't force the QB selection" talk is him thinking there's a few of them that are all grouped together talent wise that could be had in the 2nd round. Would be a Ballard move for sure. I'm up in arms with the QB talent in this draft, it's literally a crap shoot.

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

no, no...

only the ones that haven’t worked out were forced. :thmup:

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I also thought that was funny with Ebron. 

In regards to Jacoby, he was very honest, Good at times, needs to be better, is the starter for now but we are always looking to upgrade if the player is available.

And that QB could available via a trade.  Everyone focusses on the draft but I wouldn't rule out a trade either.  Ballard seemed really hard on himself for not doing more to help the team.  Seemed to have regrets.  I'm expecting him to be a little more aggressive this year because of how he beat himself up today.  One thing for sure JBs position as the starting QB is not locked in stone.  He will be looking and listening to all options that could result in an upgrade.   

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard says he does not regret keeping Vinateri, even though he was awful. I don't understand Ballard. He seems to be fine losing games because of terrible kicking. 

I have listen to pats talk show and he has said that the kickers they brought in and worked out wasn't kicking better than Adam was at the time, but when chase came available they knew what he had and picked him up fast. So it was just that Adam was still kicking better in practice and games than the available kickers until Chase became available. I understand not benching someone who on their worst day is still better than your next option

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

He said the opposite of the OP's summary thankfully. JB isn't going to just be penciled in.

Bring in Rivers. We'll win enough games to play in January.

Glad to hear it!

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

And that QB could available via a trade.  Everyone focusses on the draft but I wouldn't rule out a trade either.  Ballard seemed really hard on himself for not doing more to help the team.  Seemed to have regrets.  I'm expecting him to be a little more aggressive this year because of how he beat himself up today.  One thing for sure JBs position as the starting QB is not locked in stone.  He will be looking and listening to all options that could result in an upgrade.   

I just read an article saying the Colts are interested in Phillip Rivers( could be a stairstep with him starting and grooming a drafted QB or even a Chad Kelly

Cant say i would be upset, But it seems clear if JB doesnt improve Ballard could pull the pin on him

1 hour ago, Superman said:

To me, Chris Jones is the kind of guy that doesn't hit the market, and I expect the Chiefs to do what they need to do to make room for him. But if they let him walk, absolutely, open the vault for him. That's a difference maker, but we're also probably talking about the Aaron Donald contract to get him.

I don't expect Chris Jones to get to FA. What about a step down from him - someone like Javon Hargrave? I wonder if the Steelers will want to pay him, they are close to the cap. How much would you give for him? Or is it too risky to try to make him a 1 gap penetration DT? 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I have listen to pats talk show and he has said that the kickers they brought in and worked out wasn't kicking better than Adam was at the time, but when chase came available they knew what he had and picked him up fast. So it was just that Adam was still kicking better in practice and games than the available kickers until Chase became available. I understand not benching someone who on their worst day is still better than your next option

didnt we bring in Koo the Falcons kicker now. he seems to be doing quite well with them I doubt he was worse than AV was kicking 

Ballard said when the team was 5-2 he thought it could still fall apart because the point difference wasn’t much. That’s what a lot of people said on this forum.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I just read an article saying the Colts are interested in Phillip Rivers( could be a stairstep with him starting and grooming a drafted QB or even a Chad Kelly

Cant say i would be upset, But it seems clear if JB doesnt improve Ballard could pull the pin on him

Can we stop with the colts are interested. That is not what it said. It said that could be a option if the colts wanted to go they direction.

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nah, if he was committed to a guy (JB is my starter going forward), he would say that. It would not impact his draft strategy. That's why I said in another post, it's more about what they don't say.

He did say he wanted AC back.  He did say Ebron is not coming back.  He did say he loves Pascal and Dulin.  He did say they will talk to Funchess about returning.  He did say DT3 is a big hole that needs filling.  He did not commit 100% to JB being his starter going forward as he would have with Luck.  I thought he said a lot.  Made me feel little more optimistic actually.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't expect Chris Jones to get to FA. What about a step down from him - someone like Javon Hargrave? I wonder if the Steelers will want to pay him, they are close to the cap. How much would you give for him? 

He'd be a three year deal candidate for me. He's a nice player against the run and pass, but not a huge difference maker. 

40 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ballard and a lot of teams will be all over him.  Maybe a sign and trade to make sure we get him could be in play.  But I can't see them losing him.  I wouldn't mind Watkins though as a consolation prize.  

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

He'd be a three year deal candidate for me. He's a nice player against the run and pass, but not a huge difference maker. 

I saw some stat that he was no. 1 in interior pressure % in the league. And this is with him playing in Pittsburgh's 34 scheme.

Let me find it... here we go:

there's no doubt you don't want to force picking a QB in the draft. Just go back over the QBs drafted over the last 10 years, you'll find lots of first-round flame-outs.

However, without a top-flight QB, you're also irrelevant.

You HAVE to chase a QB --- one way or another.

I don't care if you have the freakin 1976 Steeler's defense. 

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He did say he wanted AC back.  He did say Ebron is not coming back.  He did say he loves Pascal and Dulin.  He did say they will talk to Funchess about returning.  He did say DT3 is a big hole that needs filling.  He did not commit 100% to JB being his starter going forward as he would have with Luck.  I thought he said a lot.  Made me feel little more optimistic actually.

What this means is:

We will be adding a TE this offseason, either FA or draft.

Pascal and Dulin are nice depth but that we need another starter.

Funchess could be that starter if things work out, but there are options in the draft.

We need a DT3, and will get one high in the draft or spend money in FA.

We need a better QB, but will add him in a way that makes sense.

Just now, stitches said:

I saw some stat that he was no. 1 in interior pressure % in the league. And this is with him playing in Pittsburgh's 34 scheme.

Let me find it... here we go:

I'll try to watch more of him. I will say that I think pressure rate is kind of overblown anymore. Especially in this comparison, when Donald played 200 more pass rush snaps and 300 more total snaps. I also think it leads to overemphasizing plays on which the QB is still able to produce. If I move the QB but he still completes a pass downfield, the "pressure" isn't really helping my defense. And a player with a high pressure rate that doesn't convert with sacks typically doesn't have the finishing ability that playmakers have.

I will say that a high pressure rate from the interior is a huge positive, and typically affects the offense more than an edge rusher.