Indianapolis Colts
DownHillRunner

Tua, Ruggs, and others returning to Bama for their senior season

Wow this changes everything for teams needing a Quarterback. It really hurts us too unless Ballard trades up because Jordan Love and Justin Herbert could go in the top 10. The receiver class won't be affected as much because it's a deep class this year. 

Tua I can kinda see even though it makes zero sense because he will still be going in the first rounder. Ruggs would be stupid to since hes risking injury when hes looking to go in the first as well. However it could all just be talk.

Not sure I believe it. Tony Pauline had a story he was getting agents ready.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t trade up for any QB regardless. I’d much rather take Jacob Eason at the top of the 2nd frame over any of those guys in a trade up. Eason, IMO, is even the better prospect of the 3. He has everything that you can’t coach aside from a strong running presence, but other than that his pocket feel is pretty good and he can make every throw with accuracy. Spend the 13th on CeeDee Lamb, let Brisset start at least part of next season, and then once Eason is ready, fire him up with his new weapon in Lamb

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Tua has said he’ll make a decision on January 6th.

Ironically that is the Epiphany.  

Tua is still projected to go in the mid to early first round.   Financially, I think it would be a HUGE mistake for him to return for his senior season.  If he declares for the draft, the money is as good as in the bank for him.  If he goes back to college, if he doesn’t adequately recover and then return to his old self, his value will plummet and he will have cost himself $millions$.  

If I were his advisor, I’d be telling him that, financially speaking, to return to college would be idiocy.  With a return, he basically has nowhere to go but down.  

We shall see if he is smart or not. 

• Like 5

I won't believe it until I see it announced officially. This makes little to no sense financially for Tua. Imagine if he gets reinjured trying to come back. His career would be over without him making a dime from football. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I won't believe it until I see it announced officially. This makes little to no sense financially for Tua. Imagine if he gets reinjured trying to come back. His career would be over without him making a dime from football. 

He could sit the year out, then go through the pre-draft process in 2021 fully healthy, and get back to a consensus top five pick. Obviously risky for several reasons, including monetarily because there will be a new CBA. But it sounds like his concern is that he won't be able to workout for teams prior to the draft, and that might cause him to drop significantly.

It might also be that no team has given a strong enough indication that they'd take him in the top ten, so he's questioning the risk of declaring.

I think it would be better for his career to go to the NFL now, even if he misses all of 2020. Get started as a pro. But it could cost him $20m on his first contract, which is a tough sell.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

He could sit the year out, then go through the pre-draft process in 2021 fully healthy, and get back to a consensus top five pick. Obviously risky for several reasons, including monetarily because there will be a new CBA. But it sounds like his concern is that he won't be able to workout for teams prior to the draft, and that might cause him to drop significantly.

It might also be that no team has given a strong enough indication that they'd take him in the top ten, so he's questioning the risk of declaring.

I think it would be better for his career to go to the NFL now, even if he misses all of 2020. Get started as a pro. But it could cost him $20m on his first contract, which is a tough sell.

I guess we will see on Monday, or whenever he decides to declare. To me it looks more risky to stay than to declare. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I guess we will see on Monday, or whenever he decides to declare. To me it looks more risky to stay than to declare. 

If he were to sit out, I think it would mitigate the risk significantly, but I agree that he should declare. That's based on what I think is best for his pro prospects, but obviously there are other factors he'll consider that will influence his decision.

The only way Tua comes back is if he's hearing he'll fall to the bottom of the 1st or out of it completely. I highly doubt he could get insurance to go back to college, so if he comes back that says he's not getting good information. Ruggs is another story, if he comes back it's because he feels he was over shadowed, maybe he was..

wth is going on?? Boosters must have opened their check book because he's a top 15 pick at least!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, twfish said:

Tua I can kinda see even though it makes zero sense because he will still be going in the first rounder. Ruggs would be stupid to since hes risking injury when hes looking to go in the first as well. However it could all just be talk.

It beats getting drafted by the Dolphins. :yahoo:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Hebert is not very good. 

Are you basing that off a small sample size from last night or his entire college career? I look at his college career and it’s great for a 4 year starter. 

Just now, DownHillRunner said:

It beats getting drafted by the Dolphins. :yahoo:

Idk about that lol If he went now he is looking at nearly 30 million throughout his contract VS if he where to get injured and go into the draft next year as a 3rd rounder its a lot closer to 5 Million throughout the contract. I am no mathematician but I have a pretty good idea of a difference between 30 mill and 5 mill lol 

Dolphins owner was at the game yesterday talking with the OC. If he feels confident Miami will draft him he would be dumb to go back.  Can the dolphins actually tell him they will take him? Anything illegal about that?

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Dolphins owner was at the game yesterday talking with the OC. If he feels confident Miami will draft him he would be dumb to go back.  Can the dolphins actually tell him they will take him? Anything illegal about that?

Since he hasn't declared yet I would think telling him that directly would be against the rules.  But they could find a lot of ways to project that stance without exactly saying it.  Just guessing.

• Like 1

Remind me again when Alabama has had a QB become a true long-term NFL starter?  

Still see Tua as being another long-term clip board holder after having a small starting nod.

Going back doesn't seem like a smart decision as long as he expects to go in the 1st. The odds seem far greater he costs himself money going back. He isn't going to know until after the draft if he is going to recover 100% (he can probably cash in and get drafted before anyone knows if he is going to have a permanent injury); if he doesn't and does have permanent injury his NFL career is over. If he goes back and gets hurt again his stock will plummet. He goes back and has a bad season his stock tanks. Seems like a huge risk; I'm taking the guaranteed money even if it's less. I dont know why he didn't take out draft protection insurance before the season that makes no sense. 

Seems to me if he is holding a press conference with his coach he is staying in school.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Seems to me if he is holding a press conference with his coach he is staying in school.

From what I've read it seems like Saban has held press-conferences with players that have left for the draft before too, so not so sure. In fact this is what people seem to be reading into it... that he's leaving and Saban will be there to support him and do the whole PR shtick "he's the best QB I've ever had... his injury is healing spectacularly well, etc" 

But I guess we won't know until we know so... lets wait and see... 

• Like 1

I read because this WR class is so loaded that Ruggs got a second round grede. If he has a better chance of going in the first next year I could see him coming back.

I would like Tua to stay at Alabama.. the Colts can draft great players this year and by keeping JB we lose a bunch of games and are able to get a great QB next draft

On 1/2/2020 at 10:49 AM, stitches said:

Alex Leatherwood returning to Alabama:

Leatherwood is a solid tackle that would've been a top 15 pick had he declared. 

Unless something drastic  happens with his medical before the draft if he declares I expect the dolphins will take him. You don’t send the owner to his bowl game when he isn’t even playing. Only question is does Detroit think they need a QB.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:50 PM, OhioColt said:

Still see Tua as being another long-term clip board holder after having a small starting nod.

I agree to a point. Almost every Alabama QB has not been good in the NFL, but Tua is different. He reads defenses and you can see it on tape. He goes thru progressions. He looks like a NFL QB. 

You'd have to be nuts to pass up that kind of money. Unless of course you've got personal reasons and you don't care about money.

I'm shocked that the kid Leatherwood is staying if he's top 20 pick material.

11 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

I agree to a point. Almost every Alabama QB has not been good in the NFL, but Tua is different. He reads defenses and you can see it on tape. He goes thru progressions. He looks like a NFL QB. 

On 1/3/2020 at 6:50 PM, OhioColt said:

None of the Alabama QB's have ever been very highly touted either.  Prior to Tua everyone pretty much acknowledged that they where game managers on a team that used it's OL and RB's to run everyone over.

• Like 1