Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad72 New Year's First Offseason Mock

This draft assumes Castanzo is back.

Round 1, Pick 13 - Javon Kinlaw, DL, South Carolina, 6'6", 310 - He will make a very good one-gap disruptor, strong enough at the point of attack, will only get stronger with an NFL regimen and start demanding double teams at the next level, excellent length, Colts' Autry and Hunt both are 6'5" and higher, they like long armed guys that shed OL blocks inside, very good fit for our DL.

Round 1, Pick 18 - Jordan Love, QB, Utah State, 6'4", 225 - You have to read some of his background and odds he overcame to be touted as a first round QB propsect here. His Dad took his life when he was 14 and his life is still influenced by that, his drive to be a QB. His head coach Matt Wells from 2018 left for Texas Tech and Jordan Love's best numbers were in 2018, he would regress a bit in 2019 with Gary Andersen, a defensive line assistant taking over for HC with a whole bunch of new assistant coaches. There was a great likelihood of him being a Top 10 pick, had Matt Wells stuck around at Utah State. His accuracy is good but anticipation and reading defenses needs a little work, but his arm can make every kind of throw at every level. He likes to hold the ball a bit and move outside the pocket because he likes to attack vertically, so he needs to go to a team with a good OL that will give him enough time for vertical passing strengths of his to succeed. 

Trade with Eagles - Give up picks No.34 and pick No.44 for Pick No.18 (Eagles 1st) and Pick No.85 (Eagles 3rd)

Round 3, Pick 75 - Collin Johnson, WR, Texas, 6'6", 220 - To me, given how Reich loves using multiple TEs, and how Engram and Kittle were converted TEs that weighed lower than that, I feel he is the ideal candidate for the converted TE at the next level for producing mismatches.

Round 3, Pick 85 - Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State, 6'2", 185 - Long corner whose best traits are zone coverage skills, and reads the QB well in zone coverage, very good fit for our defense 

Round 4, Pick 112 - Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest, 6'3", 215 - He is very much like a JJ Arcega Whiteside when it comes to winning contested catches as an outside WR at the college level, high IQ, good blocking skills, can play inside and outside. If Frank loved Funchess, he will love Surratt for certain.

Round 5, Pick 143 - Kevin Thurmon Jr., DT, Arkansas State, 6'3", 298 - An All Sun Belt Conference Honorable Mention, he has had outstanding production as an interior lineman, 53 tackles with 4.5 sacks and a pass batted. Possible 4.97 40 time and high upside guy in the later rounds. 

Round 6, Pick 174 - Larry Rountree, RB, Missouri, 5'10", 210 - He is rarely talked about as a Top 25 RB in the nation but all he does is produce year after year at Missouri. His physical nature, I compare it to Chris Carson of the Seahawks, not flashy but a steady productive prospect. He was tops in red zone touches in the SEC in 2018 

Round 6, Pick 189 (from Jets) - Mitchell Wilcox, TE, South Florida, 6'4", 245 - He is a versatile and sneaky pass catching TE at best. He won't wow you with anything but he will be a steady presence that will block for you and has sticky hands.

Round 7, Pick 197 (from Dolphins) - Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina State, 6'8", 205 - Huge sleeper prospect that is a right tackle prospect, with a basketball background (reminds me of Joe Reitz). He was featured as an NFL draft diamond here.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Round 1, Pick 13 - Javon Kinlaw, DL, South Carolina, 6'6", 310 - He will make a very good one-gap disruptor, strong enough at the point of attack, will only get stronger with an NFL regimen and start demanding double teams at the next level, excellent length, Colts' Autry and Hunt both are 6'5" and higher, they like long armed guys that shed OL blocks inside, very good fit for our DL.

Round 1, Pick 18 - Jordan Love, QB, Utah State, 6'4", 225 - You have to read some of his background and odds he overcame to be touted as a first round QB propsect here. His Dad took his life when he was 14 and his life is still influenced by that, his drive to be a QB. His head coach Matt Wells from 2018 left for Texas Tech and Jordan Love's best numbers were in 2018, he would regress a bit in 2019 with Gary Andersen, a defensive line assistant taking over for HC with a whole bunch of new assistant coaches. There was a great likelihood of him being a Top 10 pick, had Matt Wells stuck around at Utah State. His accuracy is good but anticipation and reading defenses needs a little work, but his arm can make every kind of throw at every level. He likes to hold the ball a bit and move outside the pocket because he likes to attack vertically, so he needs to go to a team with a good OL that will give him enough time for vertical passing strengths of his to succeed. 

Trade with Eagles - Give up picks No.34 and pick No.44 for Pick No.18 (Eagles 1st) and Pick No.85 (Eagles 3rd)

Round 3, Pick 75 - Collin Johnson, WR, Texas, 6'6", 220 - To me, given how Reich loves using multiple TEs, and how Engram and Kittle were converted TEs that weighed lower than that, I feel he is the ideal candidate for the converted TE at the next level for producing mismatches.

Round 3, Pick 85 - Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State, 6'2", 185 - Long corner whose best traits are zone coverage skills, and reads the QB well in zone coverage, very good fit for our defense 

Round 4, Pick 112 - Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest, 6'3", 215 - He is very much like a JJ Arcega Whiteside when it comes to winning contested catches as an outside WR at the college level, high IQ, good blocking skills, can play inside and outside. If Frank loved Funchess, he will love Surratt for certain.

Round 5, Pick 143 - Kevin Thurmon Jr., DT, Arkansas State, 6'3", 298 - An All Sun Belt Conference Honorable Mention, he has had outstanding production as an interior lineman, 53 tackles with 4.5 sacks and a pass batted. Possible 4.97 40 time and high upside guy in the later rounds. 

Round 6, Pick 174 - Larry Rountree, RB, Missouri, 5'10", 210 - He is rarely talked about as a Top 25 RB in the nation but all he does is produce year after year at Missouri. His physical nature, I compare it to Chris Carson of the Seahawks, not flashy but a steady productive prospect. He was tops in red zone touches in the SEC in 2018 

Round 6, Pick 189 (from Jets) - Mitchell Wilcox, TE, South Florida, 6'4", 245 - He is a versatile and sneaky pass catching TE at best. He won't wow you with anything but he will be a steady presence that will block for you and has sticky hands.

Round 7, Pick 197 (from Dolphins) - Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina State, 6'8", 205 - Huge sleeper prospect that is a right tackle prospect, with a basketball background (reminds me of Joe Reitz). He was featured as an NFL draft diamond here.

Nice job, Chad!   Damn good job!   Very thoughtful.   It all seems....   reasonable.

Looking forward to seeing more from you as the draft season progresses. 

• Like 1

Well, first of all....Philly doesn't have the 18th pick.  The 18th pick belongs to Miami.  The best pick they can end up with is 21st I believe. 

Second, using the fairly reliable draft pick chart, 18th (900) & 85th (165) is 1065 points whereas 34th (560) & 44th (460) is only 1020 points.  So even IF eagles had that pick, we would have to throw in our 4th round pick (#112), as it is worth 70 points.  That would be closer to equal as they are gonna definitely want more back than they give up (1090-1065 in this case).

Now if they had the #21 pick, it is worth 800 points so they likely would only ask for our 5th round pick added to it #142 (35 pts).

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coltsfanmurf said:

Well, first of all....Philly doesn't have the 18th pick.  The 18th pick belongs to Miami.  The best pick they can end up with is 21st I believe. 

Second, using the fairly reliable draft pick chart, 18th (900) & 85th (165) is 1065 points whereas 34th (560) & 44th (460) is only 1020 points.  So even IF eagles had that pick, we would have to throw in our 4th round pick (#112), as it is worth 70 points.  That would be closer to equal as they are gonna definitely want more back than they give up (1090-1065 in this case).

Now if they had the #21 pick, it is worth 800 points so they likely would only ask for our 5th round pick added to it #142 (35 pts).

Just my 2 cents.

I got the team right - Philly and approximate trade value close, just the pick wrong (21st instead of 18th). Thanks for pointing it out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t really get converting Johnson to TE and then drafting a TE. If that’s the case, take out Johnson and put another position there.

Given Mo Allie Cox and Jack Doyle being pretty much the only TEs and being used more for blocking, I felt we could use more pass catchers at TE position.

Plus, it gives flexibility to the roster which I’m assuming will be minus Chester, Ebron and Funchess at least. With Ebron possibly gone, we have found out what a Doyle absence does to our roster, never hurts to have quality depth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seeing us give up picks to grab Love sounded good but when you see it in written form it is depressing. Ballard loves that round for picks and I do too.  I’m hoping we don’t have to move up to get someone we like, but it’s probably not realistic.

On 1/1/2020 at 3:14 PM, chad72 said:

Good Mock, I'm not as high on Love as others, but he certainly could turn out to be a good QB.  I had to do a double take on Alex Taylor, I assume he weighs 305 not 205, otherwise he is one skinny OT.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Good Mock, I'm not as high on Love as others, but he certainly could turn out to be a good QB.  I had to do a double take on Alex Taylor, I assume he weighs 305 not 205, otherwise he is one skinny OT.

Oh yeah, my eye sight is not what it used to be and I seem to be reluctant to use my glasses regularly. :D

He is 305 lbs.

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Given Mo Allie Cox and Jack Doyle being pretty much the only TEs and being used more for blocking, I felt we could use more pass catchers at TE position.

Plus, it gives flexibility to the roster which I’m assuming will be minus Chester, Ebron and Funchess at least. With Ebron possibly gone, we have found out what a Doyle absence does to our roster, never hurts to have quality depth.

Interesting. Maybe you can use Johnson like Funchess, who was also viewed as a hybrid TE/WR coming out of Michigan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Interesting. Maybe you can use Johnson like Funchess, who was also viewed as a hybrid TE/WR coming out of Michigan.

Exactly.  If these NFL "receiving" TE's aren't going to block anyway, why not just get a big WR out of college to fill that role?   Probably not quick enough to be outside receivers in the NFL, so have them play the Ebron/Ertz position.

Definitely the first good, realistic draft of the offseason seen here yet. It does spell out fairly well what a scenario of having to trade up for Love would look like and if Ballard and Co. Really love him (heh heh), then I have no problem with this approach. 

However, as someone else said, seeing this written down makes me sad having to pass on the great talent I know will be in the second round.