Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard and Reich will be going over every game together

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard said before last year's draft that he was aware this coming draft is stacked at WR, too.  I won't be shocked if we went WR or DB, either.

However, with rumors circulating that AC is considering retirement, LT may become our #1 concern.  Fortunately, this draft is pretty stacked with OL.

Personally, after Burrows, I don't consider any of the QBs in this draft to be sure fire franchise QBs and think we'd be reaching on pretty much all of them at 13.  Fromm or Love, IMO, may develop and could be worth the 34th or 44th pick (if they fell that far), but are in no way worth reaching for at 13.  Prior to Tua's hip, I thought he would not pan out in the NFL (very few 'Bama QBs do, plus Tua is 6'1" and IMO relies onhis legs too much).  I think he'll return to NCAA next year based on reports, but regardless, he's got braces on both his knees and coming off the same injury that ended Bo Jackson's career - I don't think he's gonna be anything too special on Sunday.

It'll be interesting to see what Ballard and Reich decide to do this offseason.  IMO, there are no long term answers at QB in FA and drafting one from this class is pretty risky considering we have gaping holes across the board.  We certainly need to address WR and TE on offense.  If Castanzo hangs them up, we certainly need to address OT (I think we need to address Glowinski on OL as well).  Frankly, if we don't get those areas addressed it won't really matter who our QB is as very few QBs are going to thrive with the talent on this offense (especially if we lose someone like TY to injury again).  We also have glaring holes in the secondary and the DL.  

Again, as I have said in previous threads, I don't think Jacoby is the long-term answer at QB.  Having said that, we still had a very legitimate shot to win the AFC South last year up until week 15.  We got the injury bug worse than any other team in the south.  We lost at least 3 games due to poor kicking.  If we address those other needs and stay healthy, I think Jacoby can lead us to the AFC South title next year without a doubt (I wouldn't expect us to go to NE, Baltimore, KC and win big playoff games per se, but we can at least get to the dance).  

May not be the popular opinion, but with what looks to be available at QB this offseason and with all the other needs this team has, as of right now, I'd rather just accept Jacoby coming back for one more year (with the FO giving Kelly a fair shot to take his spot in camp) and fill needs at other positions and address the long term QB situation in 2021.

So what happens if there’s no QB’s to your liking in 2021 and then 2022. Do you just keep rolling Brissett out there? I hope not. Every years drafted QBs are a crap shoot. Look at Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, etc. Heck Rodgers was a late first rounder because people doubted his talents. Drew lock looked decent this year. Ballard and his scouts might see love, Hebert, etc as great prospects and worthy of a high pick. 

2 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

So what happens if there’s no QB’s to your liking in 2021 and then 2022. Do you just keep rolling Brissett out there? I hope not. Every years drafted QBs are a crap shoot. Look at Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, etc. Heck Rodgers was a late first rounder because people doubted his talents. Drew lock looked decent this year. Ballard and his scouts might see love, Hebert, etc as great prospects and worthy of a high pick. 

I won’t hate it if they do what the redskins did with rg3 and cousins.  Pick one early and one later. 

1 minute ago, Thunderbolt said:

We'll definitely get a QB in the 13th pick.  Rumors about JB starting in 2020, that's malarkey. Unless they want to draft in the top 3 in 2021.

If I knew we’d pick in the top 3 in 2021, sign me up for starting Brissett next year. I just feel this team would still come in with 7 or 8 wins with Brissett and would be out of reach of lawerence and fields, presumably putting us in the same situation as this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

I'm sure Ballard and Co. have been scouting guys like Love, Herbert, Fromm etc.  From what I've seen from them, I don't think any are worthy of the 13 pick and don't think any of them would come in as rookies and be significant upgrades to Brissett (maybe in 2-3 years, but other than Burrows I don't see a guy in this draft who's ready to come in and light the world on fire from day 1).  If they have the same WR and TE set and a diminished line compared to Brissett, they certainly aren't going to fix our problems in their first year (IMO).  On the other hand, if we fix the other problems, I firmly believe Brissett is good enough to take this team to the top of the AFC South and into the playoffs.

I'll trust whatever Ballard decides, I'm just not seeing any available FAs or any QBs in this draft (aside from Burrows) who are going to be significantly better players than Brissett, especially in their first couple of years.  

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

If I knew we’d pick in the top 3 in 2021, sign me up for starting Brissett next year. I just feel this team would still come in with 7 or 8 wins with Brissett and would be out of reach of lawerence and fields, presumably putting us in the same situation as this year.

If we didn't lose at least 3 games to our kicking woes and if we had an above average WR/TE cast (or even an average WR cast) for most of the year, we likely would've made the playoffs this year with Brissett.  

I highly doubt Ballard or Reich are going to 'tank for Trevor.'  It's highly unlikely we'll be in the running for #1 draft pick next year.  

I'm not saying wait forever to replace Brissett, but we've got a lot of holes on this roster and this coming draft is far deeper at OL, WR, and DL than it is at QB (IMO).  Like I said, I'll trust whatever Ballard decides, I just don't see us bringing in anyone who is currently available in FA or anyone in the draft (unless we trade up to get Burrows) who is going to improve our team significantly over Brissett next year, and think we'd get bigger gains by turning our other weaknesses into strengths and seeing what we need to do to address the QB after another year.

14 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

He's kind of a o e year wonder though, not that he couldn't be an amazing NFL QB.... But he has already lost one starting job in recent years.

Yeah, a few weeks ago, I was hoping being a one year wonder would cause him to fall in the draft but he just keeps getting better every week and the bigger the stage the better he plays. Unless he totally chokes in the championship game, or has a big scandal this offseason he will probably be the #1 pick.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah, a few weeks ago, I was hoping being a one year wonder would cause him to fall in the draft but he just keeps getting better every week and the bigger the stage the better he plays. Unless he totally chokes in the championship game, or has a big scandal this offseason he will probably be the #1 pick.

I don't even think it's possible to choke big enough to make the Bengals not take him. Every QB would have a bad game here and there. Every single one! The resume he's built this year IMO is strong enough to overcome pretty much any bad performance in the championship game. He's played tremendous football against some great defenses - Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia... 

He has to do something really really stupid in the off-season to not get drafted no. 1 IMO. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm not saying wait forever to replace Brissett, but we've got a lot of holes on this roster and this coming draft is far deeper at OL, WR, and DL than it is at QB (IMO)

if we do cover those holes then we will win more games and be further out of reach of the good QBs. 

we are not in an ideal spot now, but with the 13th pick and two seconds this may be our best chance to get a first round qb 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chad72 said:

Sometimes, I do not get the hate Dak Prescott gets, probably because of him being on the Cowboys. That dude can make plays, can extend it with his legs, play second fiddle to a running game and stretch the field just fine.

Derek Carr can do a bit with his legs too but he is not as strong as Dak, who is like a Donovan McNabb, to let tackles bounce off and keep things alive. Carr does have Dak on accuracy though. 

I was looking at Carr and he is graded as perhaps the least mobile of the starting QB's. Not a runner at all.

14 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm sure Ballard and Co. have been scouting guys like Love, Herbert, Fromm etc.  From what I've seen from them, I don't think any are worthy of the 13 pick and don't think any of them would come in as rookies and be significant upgrades to Brissett (maybe in 2-3 years, but other than Burrows I don't see a guy in this draft who's ready to come in and light the world on fire from day 1).  If they have the same WR and TE set and a diminished line compared to Brissett, they certainly aren't going to fix our problems in their first year (IMO).  On the other hand, if we fix the other problems, I firmly believe Brissett is good enough to take this team to the top of the AFC South and into the playoffs.

I'll trust whatever Ballard decides, I'm just not seeing any available FAs or any QBs in this draft (aside from Burrows) who are going to be significantly better players than Brissett, especially in their first couple of years.  

If we didn't lose at least 3 games to our kicking woes and if we had an above average WR/TE cast (or even an average WR cast) for most of the year, we likely would've made the playoffs this year with Brissett.  

I highly doubt Ballard or Reich are going to 'tank for Trevor.'  It's highly unlikely we'll be in the running for #1 draft pick next year.  

I'm not saying wait forever to replace Brissett, but we've got a lot of holes on this roster and this coming draft is far deeper at OL, WR, and DL than it is at QB (IMO).  Like I said, I'll trust whatever Ballard decides, I just don't see us bringing in anyone who is currently available in FA or anyone in the draft (unless we trade up to get Burrows) who is going to improve our team significantly over Brissett next year, and think we'd get bigger gains by turning our other weaknesses into strengths and seeing what we need to do to address the QB after another year.

Our owner wants to fill the seats of course so have a winning record means a lot.
 And we do need a considerable amount of talent added to be a SB contending team.
 The question is if Brissett could ever be that guy. There is some real Ugly to his game, so do they go after the long term answer in the next draft?
 Our schedule looks pretty tough next season, so i could see us having 6-8 wins also considering Brissett's more widely known limitations. Irsay has said he does not want to be a franchise that goes 8-8. 
 Interesting how many here are so full of knowledge they don't want this years QB's in the draft.
 On Sunday Hunter Minshew looked a lot more like an NFL QB than Jacoby did. lol

Sometimes, I do not get the hate Dak Prescott gets, probably because of him being on the Cowboys. That dude can make plays, can extend it with his legs, play second fiddle to a running game and stretch the field just fine.

I don't hate Dak, but I do think he is a slightly above average QB.

Derek Carr can do a bit with his legs too but he is not as strong as Dak, who is like a Donovan McNabb, to let tackles bounce off and keep things alive. Carr does have Dak on accuracy though. 

I think both Carr and Prescott start to break down when their first two reads are not available.  With dak he runs, with Carr he loses his accuracy.

1 hour ago, waittilnextyear said:

Our owner wants to fill the seats of course so have a winning record means a lot.
 And we do need a considerable amount of talent added to be a SB contending team.
 The question is if Brissett could ever be that guy. There is some real Ugly to his game, so do they go after the long term answer in the next draft?
 Our schedule looks pretty tough next season, so i could see us having 6-8 wins also considering Brissett's more widely known limitations. Irsay has said he does not want to be a franchise that goes 8-8. 
 Interesting how many here are so full of knowledge they don't want this years QB's in the draft.
 On Sunday Hunter Minshew looked a lot more like an NFL QB than Jacoby did. lol

I'm not totally opposed to getting a QB in this year's draft.  However, I just don't see any besides Burrows being NFL-ready from Day 1 and he's not going to be available when we pick.  It seems like a major reach to me to take any of the other guys at #13 (I think Fromm and Love may be valuable picks in the 2nd round or if we trade back in the first, but there will be a lot more talented guys at DL/OL/WR available at #13, IMO).  

This team has a lot of flaws.  As I've pointed out in several threads, there were times this year when we had 0 drafted players available at WR or TE.  No offense to Pascal or Rogers or Johnson, but there's a reason why all those guys were undrafted free agents -- they're all 4th, 5th or practice squad WRs (maybe Pascal's best day he's a #3).  

The point I'm trying to make is this:  if we take a QB at #13 and don't majorly upgrade the talent around him, he's going to have very little shot at succeeding in year 1.  Of course, he could sit behind Jacoby for a year.... but if we don't upgrade talent around Jacoby, he's also going to have very little shot at succeeding next year.

I am by no means convinced that Jacoby is the long-term QB for this franchise.  However, with a very poor WR group for most of this past season, we had a very legitimate shot to win the AFC South up until week 15.  Our kicking game literally lost us 3 games (and played a major role in losing 2-3 other games).  

If our goal is to win next year, like you suggest, I think we have a better shot loading the rest of the roster up with talent and letting Jacoby play with them rather than foregoing talent at other positions and suffering through growing pains of a rookie QB (this means getting legit weapons outside of TY at WR and TE, bulking up the DL and secondary, and making sure our OL doesn't digress - if Castonzo comes back, I think we can upgrade Glowinski, if Castonzo doesn't come back we need to address the LT position immediately).  More likely than not, at #13, we'll have a shot at a top-tier WR or DL who can come in and contribute significantly from day 1.  I don't see any QBs in this draft (aside from Burrows who will go #1 overall) who will be able to do that.

I'll trust whatever Ballard, Reich and the scouting team decide.. but my intuition tells me our best shot at winning the AFC South next year is to fill voids at WR, DL, TE, CB, OL and hope this kicker works out better than Vinny did last year.  It may also mean taking a QB in round 2 or signing a FA QB, though I truly don't see many available who would be significant upgrades to Jacoby, especially if they come in at the expense of not fixing huge problems on the rest of the roster. 

18 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

This ^^^^

• Like 1