Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Philip Rivers be in the Colts future?

On 12/31/2019 at 1:33 AM, ojsglove said:

Your honest opinion, do you see anything in JB that he could honestly pass on to a rookie QB?

Hes a professional qb in the N.F.L and you think he knows nothing about being a q.b?Lol,thats not logical.We get it.You hate him but thats just silly.

1 hour ago, anunnakidna said:

Hes a professional qb in the N.F.L and you think he knows nothing about being a q.b?Lol,thats not logical.We get it.You hate him but thats just silly.

No hate here brother.  I never said he knows nothing about being a QB.  We have 3 professional NFL QB's on this team.  Unless Swag works his way out of the doghouse and get's a chance to compete for the starting job, and proves he is capable, we are looking at a repeat of this season with this trio of professional QB's.   YMMV

19 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Grunch

Those who are saying Rivers wouldn't be a huge upgrade over Brissett are kidding themselves.

Rivers threw 20 picks to Brissett's 6 - that's the ONLY area where Brissett was better.  Period.

Their completion percentages and sack totals were similar.

Rivers averaged 90 more passing yards per game, had 12 completions of 40+ yards to Brissett's 3 and had 57 completions of 20+ yards to Brissett's 32.  Rivers had 217 first downs by passing to Brissett's 143.

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but it's pretty clear Rivers is far superior.

Seriously?

The guy needs a cane.  

I would be more concerned about Ballards decision making with  this than if we just roll with JB.  We dont need a 1 or 2 year bandaid at QB.  We need a long-term plan. 
  I respect Rivers, but to expect him to come in and learn the guys and the offense?  IF it would work, he’d be retired by the time hes comfortable.

But whatever, i’d still support him.  It just doesnt “fit.”  Hopefully the AV thing this year keeps Ballard away from the geriatric group of FAs.  At least at QB.  Imo, of course.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I respect your opinion, but Phillip Rivers is TRASH. jmho. He had years with some of the best players at their position (Tomlinson, Gates, Merrimane, Takeo Spikes, Cromartie, Jammer, to name a few) and didnt do CRAP! He's passed his prime and would be just a decent backup. Not a starter. BTW The Chargers still had a better record this year than the Colts, and their team is more stacked than the Colts. He would come to Indy and just be (7-9) or (9-7) at best. 

EDIT, Sorry the Chargers had a worst record than the Colts. But that just goes to support my statement of how garbage he is. It would be like signing ELI Manning to the Colts at this junction of their careers.

Rivers certainly isnt trash.  Hes very well respected by coaches and players which basically  over-rules our “expert” opinions.

But i agree that it doesnt really fit.

Ive always kinda viewed Rivers as a poor manS Peyton.  Remember how Peyton would make tremendous throws, but also some turnovers?  Well, Rivers i see as a few less big plays, but many more turnovers.  Hes not mobile.... at all on top of things. He cant get out of his own way sometimes.

He is a fighter and has lasted and put up impressive #s over his career.  I just dont see it here.  Doesnt fit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Rivers certainly isnt trash.  Hes very well respected by coaches and players which basically  over-rules our “expert” opinions.

But i agree that it doesnt really fit.

Ive always kinda viewed Rivers as a poor manS Peyton.  Remember how Peyton would make tremendous throws, but also some turnovers?  Well, Rivers i see as a few less big plays, but many more turnovers.  Hes not mobile.... at all on top of things. He cant get out of his own way sometimes.

He is a fighter and has lasted and put up impressive #s over his career.  I just dont see it here.  Doesnt fit.

So what has Rivers done? I mentioned alot of darn near HOFs that he's played with. That certainly cannot be overlooked. I don't care about who respects him among coaches. What has he done with the Chargers except have good to great players on both sides of the line, there has never been a QB controversy where his job was threaten, he's had a long career being the starting QB without any rookie having Rivers looking over his shoulders (Ala Roethlisberger and  Mason Rudolph).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

So what has Rivers done? I mentioned alot of darn near HOFs that he's played with. That certainly cannot be overlooked. I don't care about who respects him among coaches. What has he done with the Chargers except have good to great players on both sides of the line, there has never been a QB controversy where his job was threaten, he's had a long career being the starting QB without any rookie having Rivers looking over his shoulders (Ala Roethlisberger and  Mason Rudolph).

What did Marino, Fouts, Elway (almost).  What about Barry Sanders.

What Rivers has fone is put up impressive numbers over a very LONG career.  Except for 2006, one could have said the same about Manning. (Indy days)

I dont judge players bu super bowl wins.  Thankfully the HOF doesnt either.

I never “liked” Rivers.  But i always respected what he could do on the football field.

and believe me, at NO TIME has ben looked over has shoulder at Rudolf.  Not once.

i dont want Rivers here, but to say he hasnt had an exemplary career is laughable, imo.  There were a stretch of “Manning years” that we couldnt get past them in the playoffs.

go look at career stats.  Rivers name is among and ABOVE the best to play the position in ALL categories.   Seriously...... LOOK !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

What did Marino, Fouts, Elway (almost).  What about Barry Sanders.

What Rivers has fone is put up impressive numbers over a very LONG career.  Except for 2006, one could have said the same about Manning. (Indy days)

I dont judge players bu super bowl wins.  Thankfully the HOF doesnt either.

I never “liked” Rivers.  But i always respected what he could do on the football field.

and believe me, at NO TIME has ben looked over has shoulder at Rudolf.  Not once.

i dont want Rivers here, but to say he hasnt had an exemplary career is laughable, imo.  There were a stretch of “Manning years” that we couldnt get past them in the playoffs.

go look at career stats.  Rivers name is among and ABOVE the best to play the position in ALL categories.   Seriously...... LOOK !

The players you mentioned wasn't the reason for their teams not winning the big game. Although I'm not too sure about Dan fouts.

32 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

The players you mentioned wasn't the reason for their teams not winning the big game. Although I'm not too sure about Dan fouts.

And you expect me to believe Rivers was the sole responsible factor they didnt “win the big game?”  Please!

We as Colt fans (Manning) know that is nonsense.  Dislike Rivers all you want (he rubs Me the wrong way), make fun of his throwing motion, or his bola tie, but you cant, with a straight face, say he isnt a top-tier QB.  You dont “accidentally” last that long, or put up better numbers (or equal) than the Mannings, Elway, Marino, Montana, etc, etc.  And we’ve always heard how dysfunctional the organization is.  He’s been the one thing SD fans could count on.   The guy hasnt won a SB, big whoop.  Almost happened to Manning.  Was he trash?  Was it HIS fault the Colts didnt win the big one every year?  Come on bud, we Colt fans know.  We lived it.

Edit:  NEVER in my wildest dreams did i EVER think i would defend Phillip Rivers for ANYTHING.  But the guy could zip the ball around and win games late, he was tough and played hurt.  If he was my QB , i think i would have loved the guy.  Always played with passion.  Always.  But Time has caught up with him.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

And you expect me to believe Rivers was the sole responsible factor they didnt “win the big game?”  Please!

We as Colt fans (Manning) know that is nonsense.  Dislike Rivers all you want (he rubs Me the wrong way), make fun of his throwing motion, or his bola tie, but you cant, with a straight face, say he isnt a top-tier QB.  You dont “accidentally” last that long, or put up better numbers (or equal) than the Mannings, Elway, Marino, Montana, etc, etc.  And we’ve always heard how dysfunctional the organization is.  He’s been the one thing SD fans could count on.   The guy hasnt won a SB, big whoop.  Almost happened to Manning.  Was he trash?  Was it HIS fault the Colts didnt win the big one every year?  Come on bud, we Colt fans know.  We lived it.

Edit:  NEVER in my wildest dreams did i EVER think i would defend Phillip Rivers for ANYTHING.  But the guy could zip the ball around and win games late, he was tough and played hurt.  If he was my QB , i think i would have loved the guy.  Always played with passion.  Always.  But Time has caught up with him.

I put Jay Cutler and Phillip Rivers at the same table. You act like Rivers is better than Russel Wilson, or even Desean Watson, or even Jimmy G. All these QBs are great. Not so much Rivers.

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

I put Jay Cutler and Phillip Rivers at the same table. You act like Rivers is better than Russel Wilson, or even Desean Watson, or even Jimmy G. All these QBs are great. Not so much Rivers.

With Watson and Wilson, you chose 2 of the top Current QBs.  Brady isnt matching them. And Rivers is OLD now.

Lets just wait and see if they are around as long.

As far as Jimmy G, he’s not as good as people think because of that D.

In his prime, Rivers was every bit as “good” as Watson and Wilson .

Rivers is old now, not really fair to compare them TODAY.  Its like Bruce Dern beating up an old John Wayne in “The Cowboys”.  Not overly impressive.

And by the rules you used to judge Rivers, i guess Watson is worse than trash seeing how he never even won a playoff game let alone “the big one.”  Not sure why Houston doesnt cut him.

7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

With Watson and Wilson, you chose 2 of the top Current QBs.  Brady isnt matching them. And Rivers is OLD now.

Rivers is old now, not really fair to compare them TODAY.  Its like Bruce Dern beating up an old John Wayne in “The Cowboys”.  Not overly impressive.

And by the rules you used to judge Rivers, i guess Watson is worse than trash seeing how he never even won a playoff game let alone “the big one.”  Not sure why Houston doesnt cut him.

How could Rivers be better than Russ?

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

How could Rivers be better than Russ?

Are you one of those who reads 1st line then responds?

Read it.  Its pretty clear what i said.  Im over it.  Rivers WILL be in HOF...... i think your suggestion he hasnt had an incredible career suggests you dont understand what a great NFL career is.  Hes not even our QB.  Like the song in the magically wonderful movie says..... Let it go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

No no no no no. I live in San Diego. Rivers has been a damn good QB. MUCH better than Cutler. C'mon man. That's just silly. Rivers has been the best player on the Chargers forever. They've been riding him forever without a lot of help. He's had some good players with him, but he's been the man.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Have you seen the Bills game where Watson shuck off two defenders in the backfill to throw the ball setting up the wining FG to advance in the playoffs? I made my post prior to the game ending BTW.

Regarding the Jacoby and Rivers. This season when the Colts was 5-2, There was one QB whom the media was giving MVP mentions out of Rivers and Brissett. It was Jacoby prior to the injury during the Steelers game. Remember Jacoby wasn't served any favors when WRs and TEs were dropping catchable passes. Combine drops with missed FGs. No need to mention injuries to WRs,RBs and TEs

39 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Have you seen the Bills game where Watson shuck off two defenders in the backfill to throw the ball setting up the wining FG to advance in the playoffs? I made my post prior to the game ending BTW.

Regarding the Jacoby and Rivers. This season when the Colts was 5-2, There was one QB whom the media was giving MVP mentions out of Rivers and Brissett. It was Jacoby prior to the injury during the Steelers game. Remember Jacoby wasn't served any favors when WRs and TEs were dropping catchable passes. Combine drops with missed FGs. No need to mention injuries to WRs,RBs and TEs

Not sure what you are saying / asking so........

You are right!

I give up.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:21 AM, Barry Sears said:

If we have no receivers to get open and catch the ball, then it doesn't matter who the QB is next year.

We need weapons for the QB to use.  I gotta believe that a healthy JB with offensive weapons would look a lot different than what we saw the second half of the season.

We can draft a QB to groom for 2021, or maybe that guy is Kelly.  We're not going to be in a position to draft a top QB, and there's no FA quarterbacks that will be a huge upgrade...most are on the downside of their careers.

No ... JB is who he is. It will look no different.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Exactly, so why are we even discussing an old Phillip Rivers? Let me guess, he would be better than Jacoby. Lol

You really dont read what you respond to.

I have said multiple times that we do not want Rivers.

The only “argument” was that you said Rivers was trash and “never did anything.”  I responded that you are crazy because he will be in HOF and has had a stellar career as far as professional QBs go.  He’s old now, but that doesn’t diminish his accomplishments.

Not sure what JB has to fo with anything unless  you’re just trolling. 

• Like 1