Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Philip Rivers be in the Colts future?


Recommended Posts

 I know I know Philip is 38 year old So it would only be for a year or two but Frank Reich was the Chargers quarterbacks coach in 2013 and offensive coordinator from 2014-2015. Colts OC Nick Sirianni was on the Chargers coaching staff for five seasons as the team’s offensive quality control coach (2013), quarterbacks coach (2014-2015) and wide receivers coach (2016-2017).  there would be a lot of familiarity there. Just a thought.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably depends on if the Chargers let him walk for starters and then do the Colts think they are a QB away from winning a Super Bowl in a year or two and finally does he want to come here.

7 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

This guy has a dozen kids, do you think he'll uproot them from schools, clubs, that they belong to.  I don't think so, but again it won't be a bad idea if he came down...

A lot of guys just have an apartment and live in town for the season.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

It could only be a long-term solution given the Colts also drafted a QB as well. Rivers would be able to teach a rookie QB a lot more than JB. 

 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

IF and that’s a big IF the Colts went that route I’d assume they draft a QB this year or next for him to mentor.

 

Id rather go with the rookie and have him learn the game while on the field. You'll have your ups and downs, but in the long run that experience playing is more beneficial imo

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CR91 said:

 

 

Id rather go with the rookie have him learn the game while on the field. You'll have your ups and downs, but in the long run that experience playing is more beneficial imo

Agreed but it wouldn’t shock if the Colts draft a kid to “develop” while a vet, probably Jacoby as much as people don’t want it, starts the season at QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agreed but it wouldn’t shock if the Colts draft a kid to “develop” while a vet, probably Jacoby as much as people don’t want it, starts the season at QB.

 

You think Jacoby would be ok playing second fiddle again? I think the colts try to move him before the draft. Maybe to the lions. There's history there and Stafford got hurt and they didn't have a better option after that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

You think Jacoby would be ok playing second fiddle again? I think the colts try to move him before the draft. Maybe to the lions. There's history there and Stafford got hurt and they didn't have a better option after that.

He’s under contract so if they tell him that’s what they are doing he doesn’t really have a choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Wyldhorsefan said:

 I know I know Philip is 38 year old So it would only be for a year or two but Frank Reich was the Chargers quarterbacks coach in 2013 and offensive coordinator from 2014-2015. Colts OC Nick Sirianni was on the Chargers coaching staff for five seasons as the team’s offensive quality control coach (2013), quarterbacks coach (2014-2015) and wide receivers coach (2016-2017).  there would be a lot of familiarity there. Just a thought.

 

His time is up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wyldhorsefan said:

 I know I know Philip is 38 year old So it would only be for a year or two but Frank Reich was the Chargers quarterbacks coach in 2013 and offensive coordinator from 2014-2015. Colts OC Nick Sirianni was on the Chargers coaching staff for five seasons as the team’s offensive quality control coach (2013), quarterbacks coach (2014-2015) and wide receivers coach (2016-2017).  there would be a lot of familiarity there. Just a thought.

 

No simply no 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s under contract so if they tell him that’s what they are doing he doesn’t really have a choice.

 

Which is why I think trading him would be better

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agreed but it wouldn’t shock if the Colts draft a kid to “develop” while a vet, probably Jacoby as much as people don’t want it, starts the season at QB.

This seems the most logical, doesn't it?

i see nothing wrong with a JB/draftee/“3rd guy” Combo to start next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Which is why I think trading him would be better

I don’t think they will.  Honestly most guys in the NFL, and I think Jacoby fits this mold, embrace the role they are given.  If Jacoby was told his job was to get the next guy ready and he’d go back to being a backup for the rest of the year he’d embrace it and then go be a free agent and sign someplace else.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

This seems the most logical, doesn't it?

i see nothing wrong with a JB/draftee/“3rd guy” Combo to start next year.

Yeah I think it will be a battle between Kelly and maybe Hoyer to see if the Colts should keep three.  Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if they just released Hoyer and let Kelly see if he can earn a spot as the third QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I think it will be a battle between Kelly and maybe Hoyer to see if the Colts should keep three.  Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if they just released Hoyer and let Kelly see if he can earn a spot as the third QB.

Gonna be interesting to say the least.

We may be way off as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im hoping we can get Carr if Gruden decides to move him. I think he is highly undervalued with the Raiders and would be better than any drafted QB at #13 in this year's draft. If we could land Carr it would set us up to draft WR/DT with first 2 picks and then grab a developmental QB with our other 2nd or 3rd rounder. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wyldhorsefan said:

 I know I know Philip is 38 year old So it would only be for a year or two but Frank Reich was the Chargers quarterbacks coach in 2013 and offensive coordinator from 2014-2015. Colts OC Nick Sirianni was on the Chargers coaching staff for five seasons as the team’s offensive quality control coach (2013), quarterbacks coach (2014-2015) and wide receivers coach (2016-2017).  there would be a lot of familiarity there. Just a thought.

 

I would very much like to see this.   It would be a nice way to bridge the gap until our future QB is found.  Mostly because I think with our current O-line and defense, this team could be ready to win now.  I hate wasting seasons and I think JB would do just that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

This guy has a dozen kids, do you think he'll uproot them from schools, clubs, that they belong to.  I don't think so, but again it won't be a bad idea if he came down...

He actually was quoted yesterday that he was willing to do just that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wyldhorsefan said:

 I know I know Philip is 38 year old So it would only be for a year or two but Frank Reich was the Chargers quarterbacks coach in 2013 and offensive coordinator from 2014-2015. Colts OC Nick Sirianni was on the Chargers coaching staff for five seasons as the team’s offensive quality control coach (2013), quarterbacks coach (2014-2015) and wide receivers coach (2016-2017).  there would be a lot of familiarity there. Just a thought.

 

Yeah... no

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah... no

Why?   It would be an immediate improvement at QB and allow a drafted QB to learn for a year or maybe 2.  I think our O-line could be such an asset with a QB who doesn't hold the ball for as long as Brissett does.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Myles said:

Why?   It would be an immediate improvement at QB and allow a drafted QB to learn for a year or maybe 2.  I think our O-line could be such an asset with a QB who doesn't hold the ball for as long as Brissett does.  

Rivers looks like Father Time has caught up to him. I’d prefer we stayed away. 
 

that said, if Ballard does sign him, he would be my choice of the likely available FA QBs. I’d rather have Drew Brees but I think he’ll stay in New Orleans and expect a 1-2 year deal. 
 

I think Brady is honestly a question mark. He’s fallen drastically play wise. And while I think he’ll either retire or stay in New England, the moves he’s made signal a preparedness to move on if it comes to it

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Rivers looks like Father Time has caught up to him. I’d prefer we stayed away. 
 

that said, if Ballard does sign him, he would be my choice of the likely available FA QBs. I’d rather have Drew Brees but I think he’ll stay in New Orleans and expect a 1-2 year deal. 
 

I think Brady is honestly a question mark. He’s fallen drastically play wise. And while I think he’ll either retire or stay in New England, the moves he’s made signal a preparedness to move on if it comes to it

Yeah, Rivers play is falling.   I'd prefer Carr most I think, but I'd be happy with Rivers.   I just want to see an improvement.   Jacoby showed no signs of improvement.  We have a better O-line than any of the available QB's had.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, Rivers play is falling.   I'd prefer Carr most I think, but I'd be happy with Rivers.   I just want to see an improvement.   Jacoby showed no signs of improvement.  We have a better O-line than any of the available QB's had.  

I’m not sure Carr will be available, at least not right away

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, Rivers play is falling.   I'd prefer Carr most I think, but I'd be happy with Rivers.   I just want to see an improvement.   Jacoby showed no signs of improvement.  We have a better O-line than any of the available QB's had.  

I do think it is a fair question to ponder. If you look at JBs first 7 games, the stats were much better. Then he goes down, we lose 7/9, plus a ton of WRs at the exact same time. How much has that rattled him? How much is he still dealing with in regards to the knee? And how much of all that affected his regression? Combine all that with his normal flaws and it’s a perfect combo for a bust. I would not be surprised to hear JB going under the knife in the off-season either. Knee issues to ligaments don’t typically heal themselves. From first hand experience multiple times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he goes under the knife does that solve the problem? Would he be ready to play in September? If not then Ballard would have to do something because Hoyer and Kelly aren't the answer to start the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I do think it is a fair question to ponder. If you look at JBs first 7 games, the stats were much better. Then he goes down, we lose 7/9, plus a ton of WRs at the exact same time. How much has that rattled him? How much is he still dealing with in regards to the knee? And how much of all that affected his regression? Combine all that with his normal flaws and it’s a perfect combo for a bust. I would not be surprised to hear JB going under the knife in the off-season either. Knee issues to ligaments don’t typically heal themselves. From first hand experience multiple times. 

I can see that.

The improvements I wanted to see were basic and not usually affected by an injury.    Not going through his progressions.   Eyeing his target too long.   Holding the ball too long.  Not anticipating the receivers turn causing him to rifle many of his throws.  He was the same in all these areas from the start of the season till the end.  No noticeable improvement.   He looked just like 2017 Brissett.  

I think the injury has affected his elusiveness in the pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m not sure Carr will be available, at least not right away

You never know with Gruden, he's shown he's not afraid to move on from players if they don't fit his long term vision. Im hoping we can snag him for one of our 2nd round picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

id rather have brady, hes a free agent too.  i have not found another colts fan yet willing to entertain that

If that ever happened and it won't and they went to the SB and won I would never consider it a Colts win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

If that ever happened and it won't and they went to the SB and won I would never consider it a Colts win.

it wont happen but rivers isnt coming either 

 

i would be fine with brady but have not found one single colts fan that would be ok with it besides me

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HectorRoberts said:

I thought we are trying to upgrade from Jacoby? Rivers is not an upgrade anymore.

He wouldn't a huge upgrade for sure.  But I think he would be an improvement.   Especially with our O-line.  He would go from 5th least time to throw to 2nd most.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Question. Who really gives a rats behind what Belichick does?  He has no ethnics when it comes to the players nor the rules. 
    • Question. Do u think Bellichek would ever pay Leonard or Nelson the kind of money they r going to ask for based on the postion they currently play? I doubt it. Thats kind of the problem u have when u draft Nelson 6th overall. He becomes a pancake machine and a cult hero. U r kind of stuck with having to pay him. Thats the problem with drafting a guard at #6. I dont mind paying huge money for a DE on his 2nd contract. I am hesitant about paying a guard LT money. Same with Leonard. When he is hurt, I think Walker has filled in admirably. He is going to want probably 20 million. I get hammered, but I pull a Bill and see what there value is. This team has no dynamic skill players.
    • If that is true. Then move him to left tackle and draft a guard next year. Oh brother.
    • I won't be upset if the Colts cut him after this year or dont reward him with a new contract. If the colts keep him i wont be surprised  but not thrilled either the guys hardly on the field. 
    • Agree with that . I don't want to start blaming coaches for losses but this staff is average and no way they were going to devise a game plan to stop the Tenn run game with the injuries to the defense. Compare that to how Baltimore held up for 3/4's of the game while being short handed the week before. They wore down and lost in the end but not for a bad placement on 3rd down late in the 4th , they would have won that game.
  • Members

    • jeepnkal

      jeepnkal 37

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • LJpalmbeacher2

      LJpalmbeacher2 1,932

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PrincetonTiger

      PrincetonTiger 12,406

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 11,087

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Smoke317

      Smoke317 1,325

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JlynRN

      JlynRN 825

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • crazycolt1

      crazycolt1 14,283

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SteelCityColt

      SteelCityColt 9,183

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Flash7

      Flash7 2,713

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MFT5

      MFT5 445

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...