Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pay Yannick Ngakoue

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

No faith in those 2nd Rounders Ballard invested on the D-Line?

Turay 

Lewis

Banogu

Lewis? Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic lol

7 minutes ago, el duderino said:

He had a great career so far, but would you pay 18-22 million per year? I dont know.

18-20 absolutely 

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

Lewis? Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic lol

I have definite concerns about the high draft capital Ballard has invested in the defense. 

Signing Ngakoue, means Turay, Lewis and Banogu, are potentially bad picks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

I have definite concerns about the high draft capital Ballard has invested in the defense. 

Lewis is already a bad pick. He might not even be on the team next year. Turay was coming on before the injury. We will see how he bounces back. Banogu the jury is still out on. Yannick is a given. Can’t keep waiting for ppl to develop at such an important position 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Not trying to poo poo on Ballard, because you can’t ask for 100% success rate and he has hit on some guys...but yeah, I’ll always remember my reaction to drafting Lewis and Banogu (and Rock to an extent, just thought his pre-draft hype was unwarranted).

Who knows how Banogu will pan out, but Lewis...meh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

saw him an Robert Mathis talking after the game. we have the cap space to get him just not sure we will. I recall him on the first strip sack on the sidelines saying (I'm gone, and did the Manziel pay me had signs) I like his motor him and Kemoko paired with Justin and Ben could be a good wave of pass rush off the edges we need. He caused a bunch of issues for Glow at times inside as well. If we can get our pass rush sorted the back end will be fine IMO.

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

Not necessarily. Sheard may be gone, and Houston will need to be replaced a year from now. Plus, when the Seahawks won the SB, they were almost 7 or 8 deep in their DL quality rotation. So, yes, we definitely have room for 1 stellar pass rusher we can move around the D-line without giving up or making it seem like we are giving up on our draft picks.

Those types of players IMO are pipe dreams in FA. First Ballard doesn't seem willing to overpay for the premier type FAs and second this is a premier talent at premier position - those don't hit FA. He will either get franchise tagged or his team will extend him by FA. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Those types of players IMO are pipe dreams in FA. First Ballard doesn't seem willing to overpay for the premier type FAs and second this is a premier talent at premier position - those don't hit FA. He will either get franchise tagged or his team will extend him by FA. 

The Jags are up against the cap, due to them still paying Bortles and Foles, both terrible contracts.

I can see Ngakoue being tagged but word is they will be releasing Marcell Dareus, he will be 30 though. But if Ngakoue somehow hits the market, we have to go after him, IMO. Zadarius Smith came from the Ravens, they drafted well but could not afford to pay him what the Packers did, same with C J Mosley who signed with the Jets. It can happen and we should save our big spending bullet for that 1 marquee FA, and Ngakoue fits the bill.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 2:12 AM, Thunderbolt said:

Are you kidding me? Cincy isn't going to trade it's #1, they're all set to nab Burrow, a generation QB.  I'll believe it when I see it, but it's slim and none is what Cincy is going to say. Take Fromm and if he goes before Love, then take Love or Eason....

On 12/29/2019 at 8:08 PM, el duderino said:

He had a great career so far, but would you pay 18-22 million per year? I dont know.

On 12/29/2019 at 8:15 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

No way he's getting Khalil Mack money. That said, I'd be comfortable signing him in the Dee Ford/Trey Flowers range of 17-18. 

I bet he does, or comes close-

He already rejected 19M /yr and 50M guaranteed in first 2 years from Jags-

On 12/30/2019 at 10:14 AM, chad72 said:

The Jags are up against the cap, due to them still paying Bortles and Foles, both terrible contracts.

I can see Ngakoue being tagged but word is they will be releasing Marcell Dareus, he will be 30 though. But if Ngakoue somehow hits the market, we have to go after him, IMO. Zadarius Smith came from the Ravens, they drafted well but could not afford to pay him what the Packers did, same with C J Mosley who signed with the Jets. It can happen and we should save our big spending bullet for that 1 marquee FA, and Ngakoue fits the bill.

We'll see. But Ballard doesn't 'overpay', and elite talent (actually, any talent) in FA is overpay overkill, even if the guy is just 24.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

We'll see. But Ballard doesn't 'overpay', and elite talent in FA is overpay overkill, even if the guy is just 24.

Word is Ballard missed out on C J Mosley because of the overpay aspect.

If he overpays for Ngakoue, say 5 years for $100 mil. with 60 mil. guaranteed with some protective clauses in there for the Colts, I would not complain. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Word is Ballard missed out on C J Mosley because of the overpay aspect.

If he overpays for Ngakoue, say 5 years for $100 mil. with 60 mil. guaranteed with some protective clauses in there for the Colts, I would not complain. 

If, then - some other team will go above that, and then Ballard backs out.  It's the way it works.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If, then - some other team will go above that, and then Ballard backs out.  It's the way it works.

There in lies the issue. If the marquee free agent that gets paid "well enough" (say 5 years $110 instead of 5 years $120 mil.) truly wants to play for the Colts, he will take the $110 mil. but I am not confident that free agents will be yearning to come here for anything but to use our numbers as leverage with other teams.

Plus, if we can get 2 guys like Jordan Philips of Bills for a 4 year $70 mil. contract and Shelby Harris of Broncos for another 4 year $80 mil. contract, instead of a 6 year $130 mil. that Ngakoue might be expecting (close to Khalil Mack money), I'd do that if the other 2 contracts are more team friendly.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 5:50 PM, BProland85 said:

Certainly not Tyquan Lewis. Dude has been a complete bust. 

It would really be helpful if you and others learned the difference between a player who actually plays and plays poorly.....    and a player who has been injured often and hasn’t had much of a chance.  

Is Lewis a disappointment?  Of course.

But is he a bust yet?   No. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

If the marquee free agent that gets paid "well enough" (say 5 years $110 instead of 5 years $120 mil.) truly wants to play for the Colts, he will take the $110 mil. but I am not confident that free agents will be yearning to come here for anything but to use our numbers as leverage with other teams.

FA is always about the money.  Do not forget about the states with no income tax... the agents remind the player how much each state would take in taxes of a contract too. It plays a role.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

FA is always about the money.  Do not forget about the states with no income tax... the agents remind the player how much each state would take in taxes of a contract too. It plays a role.

Yep..... the dreaded "jock tax".....

https://smartasset.com/taxes/nfl-jock-taxes

Particularly annoying in that article is that Indiana is the exception to this..... :thmdown:

AFC South is the most tax-friendly NFL division. While on-field results for the four teams in the AFC South have been mixed this season, they are clear winners of the tax bracket. Three of the four teams play in states with no tax on regular income (Texas, Florida and Tennessee), which means no jock taxes on away games. Tax bills for players on Houston, Jacksonville and Tennessee are among the lowest in the league.

• Like 2