Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Re-evaluate Eberflus

Mr.Debonair

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s not the zone. Every team mixes it up. The issue is we don’t switch up after the snap. We tell defenses exactly what we are doing before the snap.

Yup, I’m aware. It was more of a silly remark to all of those saying we don’t have the right personnel to run zone. 

1 hour ago, FRW said:

How many double digit leads have we given up in the second half? I think we were out scored 25-0 in this game after being up 20-13. That has been a theme all year. We start well, get a lead and then the defense and the Oline disappears.

Yeah. That TD on JBs fumble was all on the D. And they couldn't even stop Jacksonville on JBs second fumble from the 10 yd line. 

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

While your point about youth and injuries is reasonable, the Colts are 30th in the league in opponent completion percentage on the year.

Opposing QBs are *averaging* a 70% completion rate against the Colts.  That’s not kind of bad; that’s alarming.  That’s not going to get it done, ever.

That does speak to scheme.  And in today’s NFL, you can’t allow teams to complete passes at such an unbelievably high rate.  You’ll never get off the field.  

I think even the Colts’ staff will have to take some hard looks at their scheme and whether they need different personnel to play more man.  That completion percentage needs to drop significantly.

It’s the same scheme we had last year and it worked.     I’m sure we will evaluate everything....   this is a pretty thorough staff and front office.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Honestly, though, the lack of pass rush is hurting the secondary. And the secondary has truly struggled in the second half. Turay's injury had a bigger impact than one might have suspected, and additionally,  there has been little if any pressure from the D-tackle position this year.  So Turay returning healthy along with getting somebody to bring pressure up the middle from the D-line is essential. This is the area where the Colts can cure some of their defensive woes. Flus will keep his job, IMO. He needs a few more pieces to make things gel .

I don't disagree with your overall comment, but to the bolded, Turay had two good games against bad LTs (at LAC and I forget the other), and his injury was a huge impact? 

Although Turay may alternate with Houston at RDE, IMO, Eberflus needs more than a few pieces along the dline alone.  Two new starting DTs, a new interior rotational pass rusher to replace Autry and Lewis, who never contributed, a new LDE, and another rotational player to replace old Sheard. 

I'd keep Turay, Benagu, and Houston, but everyone else is upgradeable, and should be upgraded.

That's about 5 new players for a dline that starts  4. LOL.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s the same scheme we had last year and it worked.     I’m sure we will evaluate everything....   this is a pretty thorough staff and front office.   

That's because they played a series of trash QBs. When they play a top QB , or even moderately good, they get shredded.  This year and last.  

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

The fans are smarter thing is old and tired. The D-line has plenty of experience and so did the LB core beside Bobby. The secondary outside of Ya-Sin and Tell isn’t young. Oh and Willis. 

The scheme is weak and easy to play against. Even against better competition in Year 1 the cracks were evident. The defensive woes weren’t just because of age

The only thing that’s old and tired are fans who react in frustration without thinking much.

You and I have had this dance plenty this year.    I’ve never been a big supporter of fans who make that argument.  

Our top-5 defensive roomies played more snaps than I think we wanted.  Rock, Benagu, Okereke, Willis and Tell. Plus, because of injury, we didn’t get what we wanted from Turay and Lewis.   Plus Wilson regressed after a very good second half of last season.  
Sheard got hurt early and was poor all season.   Autry and Hunt both took a step back this year.  We let Ward go.  It was Houston and some Stewart and not much more.   At LB, Leonard was mostly good, but not great.  That hurt the D.

Everything that could go wrong, DID go wrong.   It’ll be interesting to see how we address it?

Eberflus didn’t get stupid overnight.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When you have a QB like Luck and are playing with the lead it makes all the difference in the world. Look how good they looked against th me titans a couple weeks ago with the lead up until that blocked FG.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Honestly, though, the lack of pass rush is hurting the secondary. And the secondary has truly struggled in the second half. Turay's injury had a bigger impact than one might have suspected, and additionally,  there has been little if any pressure from the D-tackle position this year.  So Turay returning healthy along with getting somebody to bring pressure up the middle from the D-line is essential. This is the area where the Colts can cure some of their defensive woes. Flus will keep his job, IMO. He needs a few more pieces to make things gel .

Agree with all of this.  Thank you.

Please scroll up a bit to see my long response to Debonair.   It’s a longer version of what you wrote here.  We often think alike!  Hope that’s not an insult, it’s not meant to be...

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

When you have a QB like Luck and are playing with the lead it makes all the difference in the world. Look how good they looked against th me titans a couple weeks ago with the lead up until that blocked FG.

Very good point, which I’m sure I’ll use in my year end review.   Having someone like Andrew Luck covers your a multitude of roster issues.

Thanks for bringing it up!     :thmup:

"Gardner Minshew: 27 of 39, 295, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 106.2 rating" He could get Chad's yellow jacket if he played us every week.

JB didn't have much to do with these numbers. I know there are people on here to want to blame him for everything, but our collapse has been a team wide effort. I don't remember any fumbles against, NO, the Buc, TN or Miami when he was in street clothes. I don't think he's the answer at QB, but our defense has sucked in the second half of a lot of games this year when we gave up double digit leads in the last two quarters. 

1 minute ago, FRW said:

"Gardner Minshew: 27 of 39, 295, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 106.2 rating" He could get Chad's yellow jacket if he played us every week.

JB didn't have much to do with these numbers. I know there are people on here to want to blame him for everything, but our collapse has been a team wide effort. I don't remember any fumbles against, NO, the Buc, TN or Miami when he was in street clothes. I don't think he's the answer at QB, but our defense has sucked in the second half of a lot of games this year when we gave up double digit leads in the last two quarters. 

Correct.  So much for half time adjustments.   Minchew and a 106.2 rating!  Who would have thought he would perform like that?   But we have good coaches.  Uh Huh. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed on both counts.  There will be a thorough evaluation.  Also, it is true that the Colts were much better defensively last year, I agree.  They finished 10th in DVOA on defense.

Here are a few more detailed thoughts on the defense.  Let me know what you think and feel free to add on. 

The basic scheme that the Colts utilize has been around a long time, but each coordinator adds his own wrinkles.  Last year was Eberflu's first year as DC.  Could it be that opponents began to adjust after digesting more film?  Maybe, but the base scheme is so simple, I doubt that played a huge role.  Eberflus started to mix in more man coverage this year, and continued to use his Nickel (Moore) as a blitzer to compensate for an average pass rush.

The Colts' schedule ended up being one of the weaker ones (25th toughest in the league this year), and the defense regressed despite that fact. 

LB

The LB corps was improved over the previous year with the maturation of both Walker and Leonard, together with the addition of Okereke.  After a slow start, Leonard eventually played like the elite playmaker that he is.  Walker slimmed down this off-season and the hard work paid off; he had a fantastic year.  Okereke has shown exciting flashes in recent weeks.  Ballard has hit on his LBs.

CB/S

The loss of Kenny Moore really hurt the secondary, and I don't know if Desir was ever 100 "right" this year with respect to his hamstring.  Willis was a significant upgrade over Geathers at SS.  Geathers is physical, but his knees have betrayed him. 

I was slightly disappointed in how much Ya-Sin had to play as a rookie.  Hopefully it'll benefit him later on, but he was picked on at times this year.  He has to learn how to play with grabbing.  He could've been called for PI a few more times today. 

It's staggering to me that Hooker has not reached the levels the Colts anticipated him reaching when they selected him in Round 1.  He has not come close to sniffing the Pro Bowl.  Next year will be critical in deciding whether to re-sign him. 

DL

The loss of Turay was devastating, as pass rush took a huge hit after his injury.  Turay really flashed in the Chiefs game.  J. Houston was a good signing.  He was healthy and productive.

Unfortunately, Autry had a very disappointing year relative to the high expectations nearly everyone had for him in the pre-season.  In camp, he was described as unblockable.  I thought the Colts would finally have an interior pass rushing presence.  It never manifested.

Hunt went from having a career year to losing his job as a starter; he was virtually anonymous out there.

Overall, the Colts' DL was very adept at stopping the run *last* year, but this year, not so much.  I think that had a trickle-down effect that negatively impacted the rest of the defense.  The DL needs major changes for next year, both via FA and the draft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Agreed on both counts.  There will be a thorough evaluation.  Also, it is true that the Colts were much better defensively last year, I agree.  They finished 10th in DVOA on defense.

Here are a few more detailed thoughts on the defense.  Let me know what you think and feel free to add on. 

The basic scheme that the Colts utilize has been around a long time, but each coordinator adds his own wrinkles.  Last year was Eberflu's first year as DC.  Could it be that opponents began to adjust after digesting more film?  Maybe, but the base scheme is so simple, I doubt that played a huge role.  Eberflus started to mix in more man coverage this year, and continued to use his Nickel (Moore) as a blitzer to compensate for an average pass rush.

The Colts' schedule ended up being one of the weaker ones (25th toughest in the league this year), and the defense regressed despite that fact. 

LB

The LB corps was improved over the previous year with the maturation of both Walker and Leonard, together with the addition of Okereke.  After a slow start, Leonard eventually played like the elite playmaker that he is.  Walker slimmed down this off-season and the hard work paid off; he had a fantastic year.  Okereke has shown exciting flashes in recent weeks.  Ballard has hit on his LBs.

CB/S

The loss of Kenny Moore really hurt the secondary, and I don't know if Desir was ever 100 "right" this year with respect to his hamstring.  Willis was a significant upgrade over Geathers at SS.  Geathers is physical, but his knees have betrayed him. 

I was slightly disappointed in how much Ya-Sin had to play as a rookie.  Hopefully it'll benefit him later on, but he was picked on at times this year.  He has to learn how to play with grabbing.  He could've been called for PI a few more times today. 

It's staggering to me that Hooker has not reached the levels the Colts anticipated him reaching when they selected him in Round 1.  He has not come close to sniffing the Pro Bowl.  Next year will be critical in deciding whether to re-sign him. 

DL

The loss of Turay was devastating, as pass rush took a huge hit after his injury.  Turay really flashed in the Chiefs game.  J. Houston was a good signing.  He was healthy and productive.

Unfortunately, Autry had a very disappointing year relative to the high expectations nearly everyone had for him in the pre-season.  In camp, he was described as unblockable.  I thought the Colts would finally have an interior pass rushing presence.  It never manifested.

Hunt went from having a career year to losing his job as a starter; he was virtually anonymous out there.

Overall, the Colts' DL was very adept at stopping the run *last* year, but this year, not so much.  I think that had a trickle-down effect that negatively impacted the rest of the defense.  The DL needs major changes for next year, both via FA and the draft.

Outstanding!   Nice breakdown.   I have a similar breakdown in a different post tonight.   

To be clear, I’m not trying to give everyone a free pass, that includes the coaches and the front office.  

I try to keep my eyes on the Big Picture.  I believe in and trust this staff and front office.   (Though I would not be surprised if a change or two are made on the staff.).   I think changes will be made.  In personnel,  maybe with coaches, and the approach/scheme. 

I don’t worry about this organization as I did the last few years with the previous front office.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Not disagreeing but I wonder how much of it goes to being on the field forever during a game. 3 and outs, fumbles etc tend to wear even the most conditioned Defenses out

Scheme blows case and point that I said when ballard said he wanted a zone running Defensive Coach running the defense that zone crap doesn't work ever.

11 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Scheme blows case and point that I said when ballard said he wanted a zone running Defensive Coach running the defense that zone crap doesn't work ever.

Both the Bucs and Colts used it to win Super Bowls as have others.  Currently the 49ers run a zone and they seem to be alright with it.  I do think the Colts need to adjust their zone and not be so scared to get beat deep and mix in some more man.  

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

I'm gonna give the defense a pass this year. The offense didn't do them any favors

And the defense did the offense a lot of favors.... it goes both ways (well 3 ways, and our STs other than week 16 when Hines broke off 2 TD returns didn't give the O or the D any favors either).  Injuries took their toll after a pretty fast start, unfortunately and most of our losses were a result of losing all 3 phases of the game.  Nobody should get a pass, but I don't think the season was as bad as a  lot make it out to be (given injuries, Luck's retirement, Vinny's issues, etc. this season could've probably been a lot worse).

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard made him the highest paid at his position for a reason. I actually think he is more important then Leonard. When Moore doesn’t play we become very vanilla because we don’t have anyone that can do what he does.

We simply don't have a very good secondary.  I have some faith in Ya-Sin and Tell developing into pretty good CBs.  Desir (while he may have been battling injury) was very disappointing and Wilson took a big step back from the progress he seemed to be making last year.  

I appreciate what Moore does for this team and the effort he puts in, but I don't think he's an elite CB if you look NFL wide.  He's above average and plays on a group that's probably below average overall.  That said, I am having a hard time thinking of another team in the NFL where he'd be the clear cut 'best' corner back.  Therefore, I don't think he's an 'elite' NFL talent.  

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't disagree with your overall comment, but to the bolded, Turay had two good games against bad LTs (at LAC and I forget the other), and his injury was a huge impact? 

Although Turay may alternate with Houston at RDE, IMO, Eberflus needs more than a few pieces along the dline alone.  Two new starting DTs, a new interior rotational pass rusher to replace Autry and Lewis, who never contributed, a new LDE, and another rotational player to replace old Sheard. 

I'd keep Turay, Benagu, and Houston, but everyone else is upgradeable, and should be upgraded.

That's about 5 new players for a dline that starts  4. LOL.

Turay's injury was a huge impact.  Other than Houston, he was the only guy on the DL who at least posed a threat to pressure the opposing QB.  He had a small sample size and you're right he only really thrived against subpar opposing tackles, but he was making clear strides from his rookie year and he at least posed a threat of getting to a QB.  

I think Stewart made a huge leap on the DL this year and think he should be a building block for the future.  That said, I agree with most of your post -- it seems like Sheard, Autry and Hunt all took steps back this year and I don't know if Lewis took a step back because I don't think he ever looked very good in the NFL to begin with.  

Benagu was a project pick from the start, so I'd like too see how he develops with another year in the NFL.  Otherwise, we desperately need another rusher and a big guy in the middle.

3 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Scheme most certainly did not work in the KC playoff game.

Yet, somehow we had one of the most effective defensive schemes against KC all regular season this year.  After that game, I thought we were legit superbowl contenders and would easily wrap up the AFC South.

Injuries, missed kicks, shaky play all over the board wound up ruining the season in the end.  

I don't think everything's broken.  The team obviously has some glaring holes to address this offseason.  

I, for one, am going to be very interested in how Ballard uses his salary cap and how we approach things with the draft, etc.   There is (IMO) no reason why the Colts shouldn't be legit contenders next season and very little reason why we can't (if healthy) win the AFC South again.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's going to require Ballard to spend some of his cap on FAs and not rely solely on the draft.  

Seems like on D we're pretty well set at LB.  Our secondary (especially our CBs) needs at least one more very solid player and our DL needs probably at least 3 very solid additions.  We need to address WR, TE and RG on offense (IMO) and potentially QB (I just don't see a clear cut better option than Brissett this off-season with the exception of an unexpected return by Luck).  

Long story short, I think we're in much better hands with Ballard and Reich than we were with Grigson and Pagano.  It'll be interesting to see how this offseason turns out.  Part of me doesn't want Ballard to change his approach (i.e., build through the draft and coaching/player development) too much, but part of me wants to see a significant chunk of the $130+ million cap space go to some heavy hitters in the free agent market.

Eberflus is fine I think.  Lots of mistakes being made out there by young players in the secondary. Plus I still think we need a piece here or there to really have things where they need to be.  And lastly you are going to see the weak points of most defenses if they are hamstrung by an offense that doesn't move the ball that effeciently and doesn't put up many points.

I admit I'm at a loss to explain the defense really regressing.  Is Moore that valuable?  Turay's injury hurt, but he's been gone most of the season and we were doing OK.  Somethings been happening lately.  Maybe Moore is that valuable.  Maybe the rooks hit a wall.  

But I'm not ready to blame flus yet though.  Some were touting him for a head coaching job just earlier this season.  

I also don't buy this "we don't have talent" either.  We have a lot of good young kids on D.  Just get the dt, let the kids grow up between year 1 and 2 and we'll be fine. 

This team is very close to being a contender.  We were flat out beat only a couple times.  Most of the loses were very winnable but for a couple plays here and there, couple kicks go in, and we would be in the playoffs now.  

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

And the defense did the offense a lot of favors.... it goes both ways (well 3 ways, and our STs other than week 16 when Hines broke off 2 TD returns didn't give the O or the D any favors either).  Injuries took their toll after a pretty fast start, unfortunately and most of our losses were a result of losing all 3 phases of the game.  Nobody should get a pass, but I don't think the season was as bad as a  lot make it out to be (given injuries, Luck's retirement, Vinny's issues, etc. this season could've probably been a lot worse).

We simply don't have a very good secondary.  I have some faith in Ya-Sin and Tell developing into pretty good CBs.  Desir (while he may have been battling injury) was very disappointing and Wilson took a big step back from the progress he seemed to be making last year.  

I appreciate what Moore does for this team and the effort he puts in, but I don't think he's an elite CB if you look NFL wide.  He's above average and plays on a group that's probably below average overall.  That said, I am having a hard time thinking of another team in the NFL where he'd be the clear cut 'best' corner back.  Therefore, I don't think he's an 'elite' NFL talent.  

Turay's injury was a huge impact.  Other than Houston, he was the only guy on the DL who at least posed a threat to pressure the opposing QB.  He had a small sample size and you're right he only really thrived against subpar opposing tackles, but he was making clear strides from his rookie year and he at least posed a threat of getting to a QB.  

I think Stewart made a huge leap on the DL this year and think he should be a building block for the future.  That said, I agree with most of your post -- it seems like Sheard, Autry and Hunt all took steps back this year and I don't know if Lewis took a step back because I don't think he ever looked very good in the NFL to begin with.  

Benagu was a project pick from the start, so I'd like too see how he develops with another year in the NFL.  Otherwise, we desperately need another rusher and a big guy in the middle.

Yet, somehow we had one of the most effective defensive schemes against KC all regular season this year.  After that game, I thought we were legit superbowl contenders and would easily wrap up the AFC South.

Injuries, missed kicks, shaky play all over the board wound up ruining the season in the end.  

I don't think everything's broken.  The team obviously has some glaring holes to address this offseason.  

I, for one, am going to be very interested in how Ballard uses his salary cap and how we approach things with the draft, etc.   There is (IMO) no reason why the Colts shouldn't be legit contenders next season and very little reason why we can't (if healthy) win the AFC South again.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's going to require Ballard to spend some of his cap on FAs and not rely solely on the draft.  

Seems like on D we're pretty well set at LB.  Our secondary (especially our CBs) needs at least one more very solid player and our DL needs probably at least 3 very solid additions.  We need to address WR, TE and RG on offense (IMO) and potentially QB (I just don't see a clear cut better option than Brissett this off-season with the exception of an unexpected return by Luck).  

Long story short, I think we're in much better hands with Ballard and Reich than we were with Grigson and Pagano.  It'll be interesting to see how this offseason turns out.  Part of me doesn't want Ballard to change his approach (i.e., build through the draft and coaching/player development) too much, but part of me wants to see a significant chunk of the $130+ million cap space go to some heavy hitters in the free agent market.

We beat KC when they were missing Hill and Watkins. It was fools gold to think this defense was top tier after that game. Yes they played a great day and did their job. But  if both teams played healthy KC is not scoring 13 points again and I’m willing to bet any amount to that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Both the Bucs and Colts used it to win Super Bowls as have others.  Currently the 49ers run a zone and they seem to be alright with it.  I do think the Colts need to adjust their zone and not be so scared to get beat deep and mix in some more man.  

49ers run a tight zone coverage as we run a zone where our corners play 10 yards off the wr smh

10 hours ago, zibby43 said:

While your point about youth and injuries is reasonable, the Colts are 30th in the league in opponent completion percentage on the year.

Opposing QBs are *averaging* a 70% completion rate against the Colts.  That’s not kind of bad; that’s alarming.  That’s not going to get it done, ever.

That does speak to scheme.  And in today’s NFL, you can’t allow teams to complete passes at such an unbelievably high rate.  You’ll never get off the field.  

I think even the Colts’ staff will have to take some hard looks at their scheme and whether they need different personnel to play more man.  That completion percentage needs to drop significantly.

Like someone said, you have to be able to put pressure on the QB for this scheme to work.  D-line must be addressed.  

11 hours ago, Two_pound said:

This is pretty much the same players and coaches who last year over the last 11 weeks of the season gave up the fewest points in the league. They didn't suddenly forget how to coach and play did they? Justin Houston, Okereke, Willis, Ya-Sin, Banagu, are all upgrades over guys we had at their positions last year. Autry and Hunt did not play near as well this year, but I thought Stewert played better than last year. This collapse in the final nine games is due to a completely ineffective offense.

Disagree.  The D looked better than they were last season because they played a bunch of offenses that lacked a qb. If u don't believe me, go back and look at their at their schedule. U can go back and check my posts frim earlier in the season.  I said back then that the 2019 schedule would reveal our defense for what it is, as we played good offensive teams. And now we know. Honestly,  I don't care who we have coaching the defense if we continue to run this scheme. If we do contine to run this zone based scheme then we better have 4 studs on the D line.  I don't know if we even have 1 at this time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Did u happen to see the 49ers roster? They have 5 1st round draft choices on their D line. Even with that talent up front,  I still would not call them an elite D.

7 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'd have to take the time to look back, but early in the season I watched Turay because he was having a good day at LAC.  I don't remember the exact teams, but he flourished at LAC, disappeared the next game against a good LT, flourished again against a bad LT, disappeared again against a good LT, then was doing well early and got hurt.  Because he struggled against good LTs, I can't say that his loss was a huge impact.

KC didn't have Hill and Mahomes couldn't move.  That is a huge variable with which to pass any type of judgment on our D.

With that thought, this is what happens to a great O that relies upon QB mobility.  Please let us get off of the notion that we need a mobile QB.  We need a pocket passing QB, and Mahomes is not elite when forced to do that, as our game showed.  We have the Oline to protect Herbert, Eason, Love, or even Fromm; so IMO, our decision should be about which QB can make the right decisions and hit the receiver with accuracy.  We only need mild pocket escapability, not really a running threat.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Disagree.  The D looked better than they were last season because they played a bunch of offenses that lacked a qb. If u don't believe me, go back and look at their at their schedule. U can go back and check my posts frim earlier in the season.  I said back then that the 2019 schedule would reveal our defense for what it is, as we played good offensive teams. And now we know. Honestly,  I don't care who we have coaching the defense if we continue to run this scheme. If we do contine to run this zone based scheme then we better have 4 studs on the D line.  I don't know if we even have 1 at this time.

Yep.  We played bad QBs a lot last year, mainly during the last half of the season when we went on a winning streak and many got excited about how good we were.  It probably inflated our WL record by 1 or 2 games.  The KC playoff game exposed us for who we were.