Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, anyone NOT think the Brisset experiment is over?

ColtJax

44 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think using JB as a bridge could turn out to be a big problem.  If we don't get off to a good start the boo birds will come out and the cries for the new QB will start early.  More drama during the season.  Also with JB being the starter you can expect empty seats and a decline in season tickets.  I would imagine Irsay wouldn't like it.  Not our problem but I don't think a owner likes to see empty seats.  If we are going to draft a QB it might make sense to draft one at 13 and just start him and see what happens.  I still think we can win right away with a veteran like Carr but if the plan is is draft a QB starting him right away might make more sense and get the fans excited.  By keeping and starting JB you are pretty much throwing the season anyways.  Just bite the bullett but if you want to win trade for Carr.  I think we would be SB contenders if they do.  

I agree with this. Whether or not Ballard and Reich care about the drama (especially from fans)...it's still not a good problem to have. 

As for ticket sales and ratings, the Colts were not a fun team to watch in the 2nd half of the season...and even in games in the 1st half of the season. A decrease in either is not going to go over well with Irsay.

I think it will be interesting to see season ticket renewal rates. I have heard from some people that the Colts are reaching out earlier than usual...but I don't know if that is true.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Nobody is trading anything of value for JB.

So my question is what's your preferred approach? If you want to blow out the QB room, who's the starter next year? And is he someone you're expecting to be the starter for the next five years, or are you drafting someone?

A question I have that no one can answer at this time is how good a mentor would JB be to a rookie QB that was drafted to eventually put JB on the unemployment line. Could this be a large locker room distraction? JB has had somewhat of an ornery attitude with reporters who have questioned his play on the field. Do we go with the flow or we blow up the QB room?

I am dreaming but suggested before that we trade JB straight for Eli and let Eli mentor him. Giants get a good backup for less money than Eli but I am afraid Eli will hang it up after this year.  

15 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

The experiment is definitely over with JB as you can see in 2017, now in 2019.  He's just not a quality JB, we can still pick a good one at 13 despite the on going negative vibes about no quality QB is available.  If Ballard is smart and I don't doubt that, he's doing his due diligence along with the input of his coaches this is the way to go to ensure the fans are happy in Indy, after all we pay his salary.....

The fans in this forum are not on Ballards mind at all. 

He is smart enough not to let fans sway what he is going to do. 

You are setting yourself up to be really butt hurt when Ballard stands behind Brissett next year. 

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

A question I have that no one can answer at this time is how good a mentor would JB be to a rookie QB that was drafted to eventually put JB on the unemployment line. Could this be a large locker room distraction? JB has had somewhat of an ornery attitude with reporters who have questioned his play on the field. Do we go with the flow or we blow up the QB room?

I am dreaming but suggested before that we trade JB straight for Eli and let Eli mentor him. Giants get a good backup for less money than Eli but I am afraid Eli will hang it up after this year.  

I don't view that position as a mentor. That's nice if/when it happens, but I wouldn't be counting on JB to get the rookie ready to play. That job is done by the staff. 

• Like 3

Look just get as many draft picks as possible. Trade jacoby. Call mark sanchez. Let's go full lose for lawrence mode next year. No middle of the pack crap.  Lol  or try and get tua this year, cause cincy isnt giving up burrow. He is from Ohio. He is gonna put ugly tiger striped jerseys in those seats out there.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:29 PM, ColtsUrUs said:

So do you think Jacody is better than Teddy Bridgewater? 

Bridgewater is not the answer. It doesn't really matter if he's "better" than Jacoby because he certainly is not good enough nor worth the absurd amount of money a team will have to spend to sign him.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 12:19 AM, CurBeatElite said:

Who did we have that was a better option?  Hoyer was unimpressive when given the chance.  Pretty obvious the coaches don't think Chad Kelly was ready to come in and outperform Brissett.  

Reich's a very solid coach.  He got dealt a bad hand (with Luck retiring and with injuries to Funchess, TY, Ebron, etc. etc. etc. etc.).  There is absolutely nothing good that would have came out of him going to the media and bashing on our starting QB.

I meant this mostly going forward. I also never said anything about him bashing Jacoby to the media. The point I was trying to make was not only about Brissett and it is backed up by his denial with Vinny.

With that being said, it would have hurt nothing to see how Kelly performed in the last game or two in order to know if he (Kelly) was even worth keeping next year.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

Bridgewater is not the answer. It doesn't really matter if he's "better" than Jacoby because he certainly is not good enough nor worth the absurd amount of money a team will have to spend to sign him.

I agree.  Teddy is better than Brissett, but he is going to be wanting a fairly long high priced contract.   The Colts just need a 1-2 year bridge QB until our draft pick QB is ready to go.  

This forum is going to go up like Bikini Atoll when Ballard extends Brissett for 2 years in training camp.

I see a tweener contract, something like 10-12M AAV.  Something you can move but gives the player a bit of security. 

I'm honestly convinced that Ballard is going to assess Brissett based on the totality of the season, and lend a lot of weight to the relatively strong first half when the team was intact, rather than the second half when the personnel on the field weren't even close to what was planned for. 

Meanwhile we're all about the second half because recency bias so we're thinking about Brissett at his worst, after his knee went and most of his pass catchers were in the dispensary.  The first half might as well be the 18th century.

Just different criteria for assessment but I suspect Ballard is thinking along these lines for real.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

This forum is going to go up like Bikini Atoll when Ballard extends Brissett for 2 years in training camp.

I see a tweener contract, something like 10-12M AAV.  Something you can move but gives the player a bit of security. 

I'm honestly convinced that Ballard is going to assess Brissett based on the totality of the season, and lend a lot of weight to the relatively strong first half when the team was intact, rather than the second half when the personnel on the field weren't even close to what was planned for. 

Meanwhile we're all about the second half because recency bias so we're thinking about Brissett at his worst, after his knee went and most of his pass catchers were in the dispensary.  The first half might as well be the 18th century.

Just different criteria for assessment but I suspect Ballard is thinking along these lines for real.

I would be shocked and disappointed in Ballard if he did extend him even though what you are indicating is that he would want to give him a cut in pay from what he is making now.

Ballard made the statement that: " I think as a whole, our passing game has to improve, unequivocally. You have to be able to throw the football to win in this league." Not a great endorsement for the starting QB. Also said he there are some QBs in the draft that they like.

Also said they won't reach for a QB. I think we are really reaching if we think JB can be the answer at QB.

25 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

There are statements made in this page of the thread that have no truth in fact by fans.

"his denial with Vinny"

"it would have hurt nothing to see how Kelly performed in the last game or two"

"we can still pick a good one at 13"

These are opinions with no basis in fact.

And after listening to Ballard for several years, I feel more confident about his truth than nearly any GM I have ever listened to. He has stated over and over that he will not reach for a player. If the Colts select a QB with their first pick, it will have zero to do with fans. It will be about the best value, for who's available, and it is a player they truly believe in. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

There are statements made in this page of the thread that have no truth in fact by fans.

"his denial with Vinny"

"it would have hurt nothing to see how Kelly performed in the last game or two"

"we can still pick a good one at 13"

These are opinions with no basis in fact.

And after listening to Ballard for several years, I feel more confident about his truth than nearly any GM I have ever listened to. He has stated over and over that he will not reach for a player. If the Colts select a QB with their first pick, it will have zero to do with fans. It will be about the best value, for who's available, and it is a player they truly believe in. 

I get that.  And I 100% agree.  I'm not saying Ballard won't draft a QB, I honestly hope he does -- in the second or third round.  I want the first pick focused on either WR or TE, and we badly need some help in key defensive positions.

I feel like Ballard is going to assess the opportunity costs of making various moves and elect not to go balls-to-the-wall for a new QB when they have one under contract. 

But then, I'm convinced that Luck's win streak last year was complete unsustainable fool's gold and we're not really all that close to contending right now

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

he was the same the first half.  3 of Jacobys “wins” the team scored less than 20.  He sucked the whole year.  He sucks.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2020 at 12:51 AM, Ep3 said:

Look just get as many draft picks as possible. Trade jacoby. Call mark sanchez. Let's go full lose for lawrence mode next year. No middle of the pack crap.  Lol  or try and get tua this year, cause cincy isnt giving up burrow. He is from Ohio. He is gonna put ugly tiger striped jerseys in those seats out there.

Yeah, I love Trevor Lawerence but won’t even know if he’s entering the draft until the end of the season most likely though. So you can’t count on that. 

On 1/3/2020 at 8:25 AM, Nickster said:

he was the same the first half.  3 of Jacobys “wins” the team scored less than 20.  He sucked the whole year.  He sucks.

He really does we need to get much better at QB no doubt. Does anyone think that Ballard would trade up to get who he wants? I do if he really loves the kid I think he will but it would take a lot of love. 

10 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

He really does we need to get much better at QB no doubt. Does anyone think that Ballard would trade up to get who he wants? I do if he really loves the kid I think he will but it would take a lot of love. 

It probably depends on a lot of things.  

How far up he would have to go?

What other players are on the board?

What does he have to give up?

Does he really like one of the guys that much to go get one?

One thing Ballard said was that you can’t make the mistake to force the pick at QB.  That tells me he’s not going to force it.  Right now Ballard would probably have to go up to number 4 to make sure he gets one of the top three QBs in this draft.  I think that’s too much of a price for him to pay unless he thinks they have the next Peyton Manning on their hands.  What he’s far more likely to do is let the draft come to him and if a guy slips and Ballard thinks he’s a top 10 guy but won’t make it to 13 he might entertain trading up to 10 or something to get him.  By the same token even if a guy slips to 13 if Ballard thinks he’s the 25th best player in the draft or something he’s probably not going to take him at 13 just to say he got a QB.  He’s be more likely to address another need, DT, WR, end, or maybe OT depending on what AC does and then see what’s there at 34 or close to 34.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It probably depends on a lot of things.  

How far up he would have to go?

What other players are on the board?

What does he have to give up?

Does he really like one of the guys that much to go get one?

One thing Ballard said was that you can’t make the mistake to force the pick at QB.  That tells me he’s not going to force it.  Right now Ballard would probably have to go up to number 4 to make sure he gets one of the top three QBs in this draft.  I think that’s too much of a price for him to pay unless he thinks they have the next Peyton Manning on their hands.  What he’s far more likely to do is let the draft come to him and if a guy slips and Ballard thinks he’s a top 10 guy but won’t make it to 13 he might entertain trading up to 10 or something to get him.  By the same token even if a guy slips to 13 if Ballard thinks he’s the 25th best player in the draft or something he’s probably not going to take him at 13 just to say he got a QB.  He’s be more likely to address another need, DT, WR, end, or maybe OT depending on what AC does and then see what’s there at 34 or close to 34.

I looked at DraftTek's trade value chart and we can trade up to the 5th overall pick with 13 and 34. That'd get us Herbert or Tua.

• Like 1

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I looked at DraftTek's trade value chart and we can trade up to the 5th overall pick with 13 and 34. That'd get us Herbert or Tua.

Assuming that Miami is willing to trade that pick,  they are looking for a QB too and if they know the Colts are coming up to get one the only way they trade out is if they aren’t sold on the guys there.  Also I think Ballard would look at the 13th and 34th picks as two chance to get two really good players and it would take a lot for him to give those up for one guy.  Honestly he could potentially fill two holes with those picks including QB without having to trade them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Assuming that Miami is willing to trade that pick,  they are looking for a QB too and if they know the Colts are coming up to get one the only way they trade out is if they aren’t sold on the guys there.  Also I think Ballard would look at the 13th and 34th picks as two chance to get two really good players and it would take a lot for him to give those up for one guy.  Honestly he could potentially fill two holes with those picks including QB without having to trade them.

Yeah, it's just an idea as of now. However, if we want either of them, that's quite a minimal price to move up and get a possible franchise QB. The Jets had to pay a lot more in their trade up with us from 6 to 3 for Darnold in comparison.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, it's just an idea as of now. However, if we want either of them, that's quite a minimal price to move up and get a possible franchise QB. The Jets had to pay a lot more in their trade up with us from 6 to 3 for Darnold in comparison.

Which should probably tell you something about the asking price here.  I know the chart says it’s enough but it’s probably not enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Which should probably tell you something about the asking price here.  I know the chart says it’s enough but it’s probably not enough.

Probably would depend on if Miami had a read on Ballard. That's why he has to do GM speak on Brissett for a possible scenario like this. You may be right though. It would seem pretty obvious if Ballard made the call to Miami on draft day. 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Probably would depend on if Miami had a read on Ballard. That's why he has to do GM speak on Brissett for a possible scenario like this. You may be right though. It would seem pretty obvious if Ballard made the call to Miami on draft day. 

If the Colts are going up that high unless Chase Young slips it’s for nothing else but a QB.  That’s not hard to figure out.  Also if Chase Young slipped Miami is taking him at 5 before Ballard can even get the call in.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If the Colts are going up that high unless Chase Young slips it’s for nothing else but a QB.  That’s not hard to figure out.  Also if Chase Young slipped Miami is taking him at 5 before Ballard can even get the call in.

There's one other scenario that may happen. If Constanzo retires and Andrew Thomas falls to 5, Ballard could trade up for him to get a new left tackle. Though that's less likely.

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You think three two's spread out over two years is a lot more than a Mid-one and a high two?

I don't think it's that much more....    but I do we agree we'd likely have to give up more to move that far and that's not a very Ballard thing to do.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

You think three two's spread out over two years is a lot more than a Mid-one and a high two?

I don't think it's that much more....    but I do we agree we'd likely have to give up more to move that far and that's not a very Ballard thing to do.

It was the 6th overall pick and three 2nd rounders over two years for our 3rd overall pick. That's definitely more.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There's one other scenario that may happen. If Constanzo retires and Andrew Thomas falls to 5, Ballard could trade up for him to get a new left tackle. Though that's less likely.

The Dolphins are going to assume he’s coming up to get a QB.  Teams don’t give up that kind of draft capital for things other than QB.  Plus Miami needs a QB so unless they really don’t like the ones the board it’s going to take a knock my socks offer to get them to trade out and likely pass on getting a QB with the Chargers and Panthers behind that pick even if the Colts don’t take one.  

Last night probably helped JB, Ballard probably watched that game and said JB could even throw for 72 yards, 1 TD/1 INT and we can win lmao . Tannehill played like doo doo and they won in Foxboro. Last night proves you can beat the best of teams with a QB even playing bad as long as you have a dominant run game and good defense.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I have a feeling many of you could be upset at draft time, with Ballard failing to draft a QB on the first or second day.  I could see him adding a middle round guy  he likes and see if JB builds on how he played in the first seven games this year.  Adding a high-end WR and improving in the trenches early could help JB immensely and be good uses of early picks regardless of who ends up being the long-term QB...

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Last night probably helped JB, Ballard probably watched that game and said JB could even throw for 72 yards, 1 TD/1 INT and we can win lmao . Tannehill played like doo doo and they won in Foxboro. Last night proves you can beat the best of teams with a QB even playing bad as long as you have a dominant run game and good defense.

And there you have it. Ballard should build around JB. :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The difference is that Tanehills performance was an exception where Brissetts is the norm.

Tannehill had a yards per pass attempt of 9.6 and completed over 70% of them.  Jacoby did 6.6 per pass attempt and only completed 61% of them.  While I don't think Tannehill will continue with a rating of 117.5 next season, he'll be better than Brissetts 88.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

The difference is that Tanehills performance was an exception where Brissetts is the norm.

Tannehill had a yards per pass attempt of 9.6 and completed over 70% of them.  Jacoby did 6.6 per pass attempt and only completed 61% of them.  While I don't think Tannehill will continue with a rating of 117.5 next season, he'll be better than Brissetts 88.

Not the point, Tannehill played poor last night but his team won in Foxboro in the playoffs. A great running game and a good defense is why. I figured my posts would get a few going but if one is going to say JB sucks like many did when we won at KC, then how can anyone praise Tannehill for last night's performance?

On 1/2/2020 at 8:46 PM, Imgrandojji said:

You might be right.. 

And yeah, it would be a mistake and we in the "JB can't actually throw the ball accurately" camp would be unhappy.

The problem is that this is a super easy "see I told ya so" waiting to happen- I know those holding out hope are going to say "un uh" and "wait and see". We've done this for 2 years now. They need to move on while it's not a bigger deal (in both respects).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know you were, sometimes I don't use my sarcastic Emoji when I have been chatting with someone for a while. You know I want another QB besides JB but last night Tannehill was pretty poor and they won at Foxboro. 

Both Tannehill and Brady were poor.  Conditions may have had something to do with that.