Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, anyone NOT think the Brisset experiment is over?

ColtJax

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Agreed.  Looking closer at potential draftable QBs, taking one at 13 or moving up could severely hurt the team more than potential help.

I just heard them talk about how many QBs were drafted in the 1st and the low number of ultimate “good” QBS.  Cincinnati has been thru it too.  Mason Rudolph (pitt’s 1st rd pick) is lookin kess than effective, etc.

JB can be better, especially with weapons added and back from injury.  JB may not be the long-term (he could also), but i really dont want Ballard reaching either.  If value at QB isnt there, and Ballard and Co arent thrilled with any this year, then we just gotta look at FA and have competition with Jb and whoever else IS here.  One of the best things about Ballard is he doesnt handicap the future of the team.  He’ll have ideas.  Its his job.

Mason Rudolph was a 3rd round pick.

Teams gamble because having a good QB is essential and the draft is usually the only place you are going to get franchise level QBs (and I said usually so you don't have to list off the rare exceptions), and even though many 1st round picks are busts the hit rate outside the 1st is even lower. I don't want them to take someone at 13 if they absolutely think there is no chance of him being a franchise QB; but even if you are 50/50 on thinking he may/may not be the one you have to take the shot, and if there is someone you love and you can actually get to them for a reasonable price you absolutely pay the piper and move up.  Even if you use your first round pick every couple of years to take a shot at a QB until you find one its not going to hurt the team nearly as bad as not having a franchise QB.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, esmort said:

Mason Rudolph was a 3rd round pick.

Teams gamble because having a good QB is essential and the draft is usually the only place you are going to get franchise level QBs (and I said usually so you don't have to list off the rare exceptions), and even though many 1st round picks are busts the hit rate outside the 1st is even lower. I don't want them to take someone at 13 if they absolutely think there is no chance of him being a franchise QB; but even if you are 50/50 on thinking he may/may not be the one you have to take the shot, and if there is someone you love and you can actually get to them for a reasonable price you absolutely pay the piper and move up.  Even if you use your first round pick every couple of years to take a shot at a QB until you find one its not going to hurt the team nearly as bad as not having a franchise QB.

I dont disagree with you.  Its complicated.  We could be successful and/or not no matter which way we go.  I have no idea about these guys, and i agree on QBs in draft.  I wish i knew more about the QBs coming in and realistic projections.

Its just a bummer, a year ago, QB was the LAST position on out minds.

Regarding Rudolf, i swore i heard announcer say that.  It did catch my attention and i was surprised, but i figured they were right and i wasnt aware of it.

ps... i laughed at the “dont have to list the example” part.  I would not have as i agree with your points.  I laughed cuz i knew where you were coming from.

• Like 2

The experiment is definitely over with JB as you can see in 2017, now in 2019.  He's just not a quality JB, we can still pick a good one at 13 despite the on going negative vibes about no quality QB is available.  If Ballard is smart and I don't doubt that, he's doing his due diligence along with the input of his coaches this is the way to go to ensure the fans are happy in Indy, after all we pay his salary.....

6 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

The experiment is definitely over with JB as you can see in 2017, now in 2019.  He's just not a quality QB, we can still pick a good one at 13 despite the on going negative vibes about no quality QB is available.  If Ballard is smart and I don't doubt that, he's doing his due diligence along with the input of his coaches this is the way to go to ensure the fans are happy in Indy, after all we pay his salary.....

21 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Brissett DOES get unfair criticism.  That doesn't mean he's suddenly a world beating talent, but people are comparing Brissett to what we're used to, and what we're used to is Manning and Luck.  2 incredibly tough acts to follow.

And they're frequently not remembering that Brissett was thrust into the starting job because our starter quit in the middle of training camp.  

Personally I'm interested to see if there's some possible improvement that could be achieved with a roster built around what Brissett can do, rather than built around Luck and hastily adjusted for a guy who definitely is not Luck

What can Brisett do in your opinion?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/29/2019 at 8:24 PM, CanuckColt said:

We could be in the "Age of Jacoby"...7-9 to 9-7 forever.

Or as some journalist--don't recall who--recently put it, "Quarterback purgatory," which is to say good enough to win some games, but not good enough to be playoff caliber. Also, bad enough to lose a good number of games, but not so bad that you get high draft picks. So your team remains stuck in a middle ground of mediocrity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

What can Brisett do in your opinion?

Sell the play action, run a little, scramble and execute some deep passes while on the move.  We're geared up and schemed up for a pocket passing mid range QB but Brissett is a generalist who's better as a read option QB. 

Pocket passing has never been Brissett's forte.  He CAN pass but that's never been his forte, Brissett's usually better off when he can use his wits and his powerful arm, sell the play action and snap off a few deep throws to an area... unfortunately the only gut we had on the roster that could allow Brissett to do what he did best was TY and he wasn't always on the field. 

The short to medium passes that Reich was insisting on just aren't where Brissett lives.  It's the area he's struggled with the most traditionally meaning the Colts were literally playing right into Brissett's weakest area.  But Reich was forced to insist on them because our WR unit got decimated and we had to do what we could with the talent we had.

If we can get our deep unit back in line, Brissett's ability to sell the play action -- which he's actually very, very good at -- will allow us to scheme guys open deep and allow JB to put some throws into areas where only his guys can go get them.  That's his game.  He's pretty solid at that. 

This dunk and dunk stuff, mid yardage accuracy and timing plays, that's something Brissett isn't good at and probably never will be.  Although if he can get some experience and confidence based on other facets of his game I would expect him to find a way to figure this stuff out to a certain degree and at least not be one of the worst starting QB in the league at it.

15 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Sell the play action, run a little, scramble and execute some deep passes while on the move.  We're geared up and schemed up for a pocket passing mid range QB but Brissett is a generalist who's better as a read option QB. 

Pocket passing has never been Brissett's forte.  He CAN pass but that's never been his forte, Brissett's usually better off when he can use his wits and his powerful arm, sell the play action and snap off a few deep throws to an area... unfortunately the only gut we had on the roster that could allow Brissett to do what he did best was TY and he wasn't always on the field. 

The short to medium passes that Reich was insisting on just aren't where Brissett lives.  It's the area he's struggled with the most traditionally meaning the Colts were literally playing right into Brissett's weakest area.  But Reich was forced to insist on them because our WR unit got decimated and we had to do what we could with the talent we had.

f we can get our deep unit back in line, Brissett's ability to sell the play action -- which he's actuIally very, very good at -- will allow us to scheme guys open deep and allow JB to put some throws into areas where only his guys can go get them.  That's his game.  He's pretty solid at that

This dunk and dunk stuff, mid yardage accuracy and timing plays, that's something Brissett isn't good at and probably never will be.  Although if he can get some experience and confidence based on other facets of his game I would expect him to find a way to figure this stuff out to a certain degree and at least not be one of the worst starting QB in the league at it.

Direct copy and paste from his predraft scouting report. Sound familiar? No long ball promise.

Weaknesses

Downward trajectory from over­-the­-top delivery causes some throws to sink. Has been severely pressured over last two seasons and developed bad habits because of it. Will drop eyes when he feels pressure and throws off his back foot as tools of survival. Occasionally muscles a back­foot throw despite having time to step and drive the ball. Still learning to calm feet and deliver rather than bail when defender is closing in. Carries ball low and away from body when scrambling. Has moments where he is oblivious to pre­-snap tells that blitz is coming off the edge. Needs to transition from always trying to fight through sacks to getting rid of the ball more quickly. Struggles with deep ball accuracy completing just 23.1 percent on attempts of 21-plus yards. Had several overthrows when tasked with deep throws down sideline versus man coverage. Failed to recognize receivers running wide open down the seam. Gets locked in on a pre­-snap plan and has issues altering his itinerary quickly.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

If we can get our deep unit back in line, Brissett's ability to sell the play action -- which he's actually very, very good at -- will allow us to scheme guys open deep and allow JB to put some throws into areas where only his guys can go get them.  That's his game.  He's pretty solid at that. 

Boy, that all sounds great, but I don't buy it.   He can't read the field.   Sometimes he gets past the first read.   He holds the ball for a long time which ends up in him throwing it too hard because he's late.  Even when TY was healthy, his YPC went from 16 to 11. 

I didn't see much play action from Brissett through the year.     

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Weaknesses

Downward trajectory from over­-the­-top delivery causes some throws to sink. Has been severely pressured over last two seasons and developed bad habits because of it. Will drop eyes when he feels pressure and throws off his back foot as tools of survival. Occasionally muscles a back­foot throw despite having time to step and drive the ball. Still learning to calm feet and deliver rather than bail when defender is closing in. Carries ball low and away from body when scrambling. Has moments where he is oblivious to pre­-snap tells that blitz is coming off the edge. Needs to transition from always trying to fight through sacks to getting rid of the ball more quickly. Struggles with deep ball accuracy completing just 23.1 percent on attempts of 21-plus yards. Had several overthrows when tasked with deep throws down sideline versus man coverage. Failed to recognize receivers running wide open down the seam. Gets locked in on a pre­-snap plan and has issues altering his itinerary quickly.

You sure that is not from this week?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

Boy, that all sounds great, but I don't buy it.   He can't read the field.   Sometimes he gets past the first read.   He holds the ball for a long time which ends up in him throwing it too hard because he's late.  Even when TY was healthy, his YPC went from 16 to 11. 

I didn't see much play action from Brissett through the year.     

I'm not gonna take that yardage too seriously because we know for a fact that TY had a lower body injury starting in about week 3 this year and was never fully healthy the rest of the year.  He was still playing, but he wasn't getting close to hitting that famous top gear of his with a calf injury.

Either way, you're still making the mistake of comparing Brissett to Luck.  Brissett's best isn't going to be as good as Luck's best no matter what Brissett does.  If you can't assess Brissett's strengths and weaknesses without trying to compare him directly to 2 of the best QB in NFL history, then we're probably done here because the only QBs who could stand up to that level of scrutiny are guys who wouldn't have been waiting in the wings as backups in the firsst place.

As for the play action thing, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that you might be blind.  They did a ton with Brissett on play action, which stands to reason when your primary method of attack on offense is the run.  In fact that's the whole point of playing QB on a run heavy team, because the D has to stack the box a play action works particularly well.

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm not gonna take that yardage too seriously because we know for a fact that TY had a lower body injury starting in about week 3 this year and was never fully healthy the rest of the year.

Either way, you're still making the mistake of comparing Brissett to Luck.  Brissett's best isn't going to be as good as Luck's best no matter what Brissett does.  If you can't assess Brissett's strengths and weaknesses without trying to compare him directly to 2 of the best QB in NFL history, then we're probably done here because the only QBs who could stand up to that level of scrutiny are guys who wouldn't have been waiting in the wings as backups in the firsst place.

Didn't think I compared him to Luck at all.   Maybe by using TY's career numbers.  OK, fair enough.  Brissett lacks too much to be a good starting QB.   He cannot read the field.   Cannot read the field.   Which means he cannot find the open receiver.  The only Luck comparison in there is that Luck could read the field.   Brissett eyes his receiver and then either throws late and hard or decides to dump off.   That is like 80% of his throws.    He's a .500 QB and I don't want to only win 7-9 games again next season.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Super, I agree with you 99% of the time but not in your corner here. JB has proven throughout his college and pro career that he is average at best. I am totally in favor of drafting a QB and gambling on him being the answer. I am 100% convinced that JB is not the answer and just a year ago I thought we could get a 2nd for him though you I believe disputed that and you were correct I hindsight.

I feel injuries are way overblown. All teams deal with that and in JBs case he never missed a snap in practice all year and was day to day prior to the Miami game and took every practice snap  leading up to that game. Unfortunately I think Ebron's injury was between his ears as he wanted out of this JB fiasco before he was considered part of the problem. 100% disagree with his actions as I think they were chicken waste but so be it.

My feeling is the sooner we move beyond JB the better off we are. We may miss a time or two but we must move on and take our chances.

Many will disagree with me. Bring it on.

It's not an endorsement of Brissett. The point is that I don't necessarily think we're doomed to 7-9 next season if Brissett starts. But more importantly, if we have the next guy on the roster, then there's no need to nuke the QB room. This isn't like 2011, and JB is still a good backup and can play a role on a team with a rookie QB.

As for the injuries and the circumstances, again, not defending JB's play. I've been very critical of his play, and I don't think there's room for him to hide behind the circumstances. I'm saying that, even with his play, we could have finished with a better record if a couple things break differently, so it's not like the team is entirely hopeless if JB remains the starter in 2020.

I absolutely agree that JB is not the guy, and we need to get better at QB. I've been co-piloting that plane all season long.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not an endorsement of Brissett. The point is that I don't necessarily think we're doomed to 7-9 next season if Brissett starts. But more importantly, if we have the next guy on the roster, then there's no need to nuke the QB room. This isn't like 2011, and JB is still a good backup and can play a role on a team with a rookie QB.

As for the injuries and the circumstances, again, not defending JB's play. I've been very critical of his play, and I don't think there's room for him to hide behind the circumstances. I'm saying that, even with his play, we could have finished with a better record if a couple things break differently, so it's not like the team is entirely hopeless if JB remains the starter in 2020.

I absolutely agree that JB is not the guy, and we need to get better at QB. I've been co-piloting that plane all season long.

That is one of the issues with Brissett as the starter.  We could have finished with a better record, but we could have finished with a worse record.  Him as the starter leads to close games.  I say that ultimately leads to a .500 record.  He was 7-8 as a starter (although I won't hang the loss where he was injured early on him).  So 7-7.   I think we will go .500 next season with him.  Maybe 7-9, maybe 9-7.   

I do understand if the QB they draft is not ready, JB is the guy.   I'm just not thrilled about it.  

I don’t think it’s over.  We can’t draft a top QB without making a big move in the draft, and only Burrow is worth that move IMO.  Not gonna happen.  Not bullish on Love or Eason, so I see a mid-round QB and a continuation of the Brissett project, with a side contest between Kelly and the draftee (and Hoyer, I suppose).

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

After rereading your post I responded to I do feel we are on the same page. I am discouraged to even think JB may be our starter next year but certainly would not be the end of the world. Watching our offense perform this year was gut wrenching and don't want to see another year of the same. Understand you were co-piloting the plane all year and maybe that is why I was surprised by your post but understand it better. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Archer said:

I don’t think it’s over.  We can’t draft a top QB without making a big move in the draft, and only Burrow is worth that move IMO.  Not gonna happen.  Not bullish on Love or Eason, so I see a mid-round QB and a continuation of the Brissett project, with a side contest between Kelly and the draftee (and Hoyer, I suppose).

Sincere question: Have you watched either of them?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

Sorry but can not agree that Burrow is the only top QB in the draft. Not saying there are a number of 'can't miss'  guys out there. Even Burrow is not a sure thing but should not prevent a team from trying. Love and Eason , even though far from a guarantee would at least put some excitement back in watching the Colts. Regardless, should be a interesting next months. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is one of the issues with Brissett as the starter.  We could have finished with a better record, but we could have finished with a worse record.  Him as the starter leads to close games.  I say that ultimately leads to a .500 record.  He was 7-8 as a starter (although I won't hang the loss where he was injured early on him).  So 7-7.   I think we will go .500 next season with him.  Maybe 7-9, maybe 9-7.   

I do understand if the QB they draft is not ready, JB is the guy.   I'm just not thrilled about it.  

6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

After rereading your post I responded to I do feel we are on the same page. I am discouraged to even think JB may be our starter next year but certainly would not be the end of the world. Watching our offense perform this year was gut wrenching and don't want to see another year of the same. Understand you were co-piloting the plane all year and maybe that is why I was surprised by your post but understand it better. 

My preferred strategy is to draft and develop a QB, with an eye on him starting no later than Week 1 2021. If he starts sooner than that, great, but at worse, we're following the Patrick Mahomes model (which I'm all-in on). That being the case, having JB remain the starter makes sense to me.

An alternate strategy is to add a veteran QB. I'm not in favor of that strategy. There are some decent to above average guys who might be available and might play well with Reich coaching -- Carr, Winston, Foles, etc. --  but I'm not interested in hitching our wagon to any of them, especially considering the expected cost of acquiring them. There are some desperation heaves -- Rivers, Newton, Rosen, Eli -- that I want no part of. Any middling guys -- Bridgewater, Keenum, Mariota -- don't represent any real chance of improvement over JB. They're just change for the sake of change.

So going 7-9 with JB or another veteran isn't ideal, but if we have the QB of the future on the roster, then at least we know where we're going. And maybe along the way, the rookie gets some reps, maybe a start or two, and we can start the transition. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

My preferred strategy is to draft and develop a QB, with an eye on him starting no later than Week 1 2021. If he starts sooner than that, great, but at worse, we're following the Patrick Mahomes model (which I'm all-in on). That being the case, having JB remain the starter makes sense to me.

Yep, I'm of the same mind. Get the next guy in the building ASAP and start developing him and try to make him ready to play ASAP. IMO the ultimate goal of any coaching staff of a team that drafts a QB high should be making him ready to play ASAP. This becomes priority no. 1. It if doesn't happen for week 1 of 2020, that's alright, you still have a full season and one more off-season to get him up to speed and iron up some of his weaknesses. In that case I'm OK with Brissett being the starter until that happens. In a weird way my period of transition is much smaller than a lot of people would want though. For example, I think the new guy starting in Week 1 of 2021 is a must. You just MUST be able to get him ready with 2 off-seasons and one in-season period. If he's not ready by 2021, IMO you have a problem. You either have picked the wrong QB or you have the wrong coaching staff to develop a QB. This doesn't mean I expect the guy to be elite QB the moment he starts his career, but I would expect him to be able to execute an NFL offense, make reads and adjustments pre-snap, make most throws that need to be made in a game, etc. 

An alternate strategy is to add a veteran QB. I'm not in favor of that strategy. There are some decent to above average guys who might be available and might play well with Reich coaching -- Carr, Winston, Foles, etc. --  but I'm not interested in hitching our wagon to any of them, especially considering the expected cost of acquiring them. There are some desperation heaves -- Rivers, Newton, Rosen, Eli -- that I want no part of. Any middling guys -- Bridgewater, Keenum, Mariota -- don't represent any real chance of improvement over JB. They're just change for the sake of change.

So going 7-9 with JB or another veteran isn't ideal, but if we have the QB of the future on the roster, then at least we know where we're going. And maybe along the way, the rookie gets some reps, maybe a start or two, and we can start the transition. 

Yep, a lot of those have baggage that cannot be overcome. Those are QBs that have developed some bad habits and Reich wouldn't be able to have great influence on their development and fit in the system. Also... they come with the additional baggage of having to be paid for(draft picks and/or salary) and they immediately fail one of my requirements - if you are getting a middling(or worse) QB, he better be cheap.

And others of them are really old and seem washed(Eli, Rivers). 

This is why I prefer getting a young QB from the draft, getting him in our building and starting with a blank slate(well... not really but as blank as it can be) and molding him into whatever we need him to be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Sincere question: Have you watched either of them?

Yes, I’ve watched quite a bit of Eason, and a little bit of Love.  I like Gordon quite a bit more than Eason, and from what I’ve seen of Love, I wouldn’t take a shot at him until Round 3 - and someone should take him before that.  But at some point of watching these guys’ games, I thought to myself, “Do I like these guys’ chances of making it more than JB’s?”  JB looked like the answer and the team was 5-2, he injured his knee, and then he didn’t look like the answer.  I’d add a better value in Round 4, let JB be the clear #1, and if he looks like he did in the second half of the season, start evaluating the rookie and Kelly.  It’s not a popular opinion, but it acknowledges that overdrafting Love or Eason (IMHO) isn’t likely to be a good long-term solution...

22 hours ago, Superman said:

It's not. JMO.

I'm not making excuses for JB's play, and you know I think we need to improve. But it is still a fact, based in our present reality, that the WR room got decimated by injury, then JB got hurt (which probably directly cost us two games), then he played his way back to reasonable health but wasn't as effective anymore, and TY was out, and the staff had built a roster around Luck and not JB, and they were shellshocked by the retirement as well. Oh, and AV did cost us games. Also, Reich went through a weird stretch where his second down play calling was pretty awful.

None of this excuses JB's play, and I'm not being sensational about it. But even with JB as the starter, we reasonably could have gone 11-5 this year. 

So my preferred approach is draft the next guy, let him compete with JB and whoever wins the job is the starter, but if it's JB, make sure we have a solid receiving corps around him, figure out what to do on second down, throw some screens in neutral situations, keep working on the defense, and see what happens in 2020. I think there's a reasonable floor with JB as the starter, and a potentially acceptable ceiling. But either way, proceed in 2020 with the goal of getting the next guy ready to be the starter asap, while putting a good team around whoever the starter is.

Again, JMO, but I wouldn't just scrap the QB room. That's an overreaction, to me.

I had the same preferred approach...even back when the season started. 

I am still in favor of a bridge QB (with a rookie sitting a year). But looking at this through the lens of next season being about getting to (and winning in) the playoffs...as well as long-term development...I just don't see any real upside in that bridge QB being JB.

The moment JB plays poorly (which might happen early on)...the calls for the rookie QB will get very loud. And even though fans don't run teams...that is a distraction that no one wants. It's just a situation that could get somewhat toxic...possibly even behind closed doors.

And then there's the football side of it...does JB actually help them win games? For more than half the season...he was quite possibly the worst QB in the NFL. We can use excuses to justify it...but the data we have is the data we have (going back to 2017). And I don't really see an argument for how he has done this.

The fact that the Colts could have been 11-5 this year...should make people want a new QB next season even more. If people believe this team is an 11-win team (I really don't know if I do)...then settling for another year of JB and coin flip games doesn't really make sense...when an upgrade at QB would give them a bigger margin for error and success.

Also, does JB help the development of players around him? Yes there were injuries...but JB doesn't seem to elevate the production of anyone around him (Pascal maybe...but a big part of that was that was opportunity and that he was the first read often). I believe the Colts need to acquire and develop a good amount of pass-catching talent...and I don't see how JB really helps them do that...given his limitations.

And there's the fact that they can save a decent amount of cap space if the move on. Cap space isn't an issue for the Colts...but spending $21.5M on a bottom tier QB is just bad business. 

HOU could have kept Osweiler around to "groom" whatever QB they drafted for a year...but there was no point in it. So they traded him and saved what money they could and hit refresh. I don't think JB is Osweiler-bad...but I see a similar scenario where there is little upside into keeping JB here next year. Except in this case...I think the Colts might actually get some draft capital out of a trade.

I guess I don't really see it as an overreaction...because what is the downside?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JB looked like the answer and the team was 5-2, he injured his knee, and then he didn’t look like the answer.

JB never looked like the answer to me.

from what I’ve seen of Love, I wouldn’t take a shot at him until Round 3 - and someone should take him before that.

My experience with Love is that, as I watch him, I see more and more that I like. Maybe I'm talking myself into him, but I've really been reserved and measured in my evaluation of him. The intangibles and his ability to compete against NFL competition are unknown, but his tools are impressive to me. If he made it to #34, it's a no brainer. I don't know that he will.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

HOU could have kept Osweiler around to "groom" whatever QB they drafted for a year...but there was no point in it. So they traded him and saved what money they could and hit refresh. I don't think JB is Osweiler-bad...but I see a similar scenario where there is little upside into keeping JB here next year. Except in this case...I think the Colts might actually get some draft capital out of a trade.

Nobody is trading anything of value for JB.

So my question is what's your preferred approach? If you want to blow out the QB room, who's the starter next year? And is he someone you're expecting to be the starter for the next five years, or are you drafting someone?

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

to be fair, chloe throws so much crap at the wall hoping to get something to stick that there's no way he/she could be asked to remember every single smelly smear

230408_1244654111154_400_300.jpg

You still think Chloe is a guy? That's pretty sad. I figured out she was a girl on her first day on this forum (without just guessing because of the name). You must be single! :lol:

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You still think Chloe is a guy? That's pretty sad. I figured out she was a girl on her first day on this forum (without just guessing because of the name). You must be single! :lol:

What from my post makes you say that I think Chloe is a guy?

I have always assumed Chloe was a female, but I also remember Chloe once saying the username was based on a dog named Chloe.  So,  was just covering my bases just in case. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

What from my post makes you say that I think Chloe is a guy?

I have always assumed Chloe was a female, but I also remember Chloe once saying the username was based on a dog named Chloe.  So,  was just covering my bases just in case. :P

I believe you've refered to her as just a he before, if not I apologize. Chloe is her dog's name. I know her real name, but I promised her I'd keep it secret.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

JB never looked like the answer to me.

My experience with Love is that, as I watch him, I see more and more that I like. Maybe I'm talking myself into him, but I've really been reserved and measured in my evaluation of him. The intangibles and his ability to compete against NFL competition are unknown, but his tools are impressive to me. If he made it to #34, it's a no brainer. I don't know that he will.

The thing is every college quarterback is a unknown going into the NFL. Love like you said has the intangibles and his arm talent is there.  His interviews and if he has a high football IQ will either drop him in the draft or raise his stock. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I believe you've refered to her as just a he before, if not I apologize. Chloe is her dog's name. I know her real name, but I promised her I'd keep it secret.

It's entirely possible.  If that happened I just simply forgot to do the he/she thing.  And yes, please keep her real name a secret...from me at least. :D lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

The way the season turned out is likely a blessing in disguise long-term. There is really no argument now for why they should keep JB long-term. I accept that there is a decent chance that he starts next year...but as a fan of the Colts...I too am not thrilled with the idea at all. 

One thing to consider now...is JB even a .500 QB? Even when they got to 5-2 after the DEN game (and after winning 3 straight)...the regression was already happening...as JB threw for 350 total yards and 1 INT in those wins against DEN and KC. And then they went 2-5 over the last 7 games when he came back. 

The sample size of poor games is larger than the good games...even if we exclude 2017. Half of his games had a <80 passer rating (9 out of 14 he was <90). QBs that play like that get benched.

I think using JB as a bridge could turn out to be a big problem.  If we don't get off to a good start the boo birds will come out and the cries for the new QB will start early.  More drama during the season.  Also with JB being the starter you can expect empty seats and a decline in season tickets.  I would imagine Irsay wouldn't like it.  Not our problem but I don't think a owner likes to see empty seats.  If we are going to draft a QB it might make sense to draft one at 13 and just start him and see what happens.  I still think we can win right away with a veteran like Carr but if the plan is is draft a QB starting him right away might make more sense and get the fans excited.  By keeping and starting JB you are pretty much throwing the season anyways.  Just bite the bullett but if you want to win trade for Carr.  I think we would be SB contenders if they do.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

So my question is what's your preferred approach? If you want to blow out the QB room, who's the starter next year? And is he someone you're expecting to be the starter for the next five years, or are you drafting someone?

I think we know what we have if JB is the starter next season (which I think is probable).   We'll win 7-9 games.  

Ideally I'd like to see a QB drafted, Brissett traded (maybe they can get a 4th for him) and another QB signed.  Have an open competition in training camp with Draftee, Kelly and FA.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know...I could see a team possibly trading back a player or a late pick for JB.

But I am definitely drafting someone...and this has been my preferred approach since Luck retired.

But I am also hedging my bets (so to speak) and upgrading the vet presence in the room. There should be a few like that available this offseason...that I believe would make better bridge QBs (and better mentors as well).

I still think Foles makes perfect sense. 

It's not an ideal situation...so there's not an ideal solution...I just think JB starting next year is the least ideal way to go about it. But that's JMO.