Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, anyone NOT think the Brisset experiment is over?


ColtJax

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not a point that Kelly could or would out perform Brissett.

The point is Kelly didn't do enough in practices for the coaches to give him a shot.

What Kelly did in a pre season game against players who didn't make a NFL roster makes no difference. 

The coaches are the ones who seen him every practice, not the forum fans. 

No matter if anyone agrees or not he was never even the #2 QB except behind Hoyer for one game. The coaches didn't even make him active the last 2 games. 

Sorry, like it or not I trust the coaches choices over the fans in this forum. 

We all are entitled to our opinions. Some may believe what the coaches and GM are telling us, more than others.

But there is a possibility, that the team may not have based their decision (to deactivate Kelly)  strictly on performance reasons. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

 

Logic says the coaches (Ballard?) think Kelly is inferior to Brissett.

Yet the conspiracy theory says the management may actually be more concerned to "save face" with Jacoby at QB, and don't want to risk having him showed up by Kelly.

 

So the question really is, how much exactly of each is true?

We will never know.  I generally don’t buy into conspiracy theories without proof though, that’s just me though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

We all are entitled to our opinions. Some may believe what the coaches and GM are telling us, more than others.

But there is a possibility, that the team may not have based their decision (to deactivate Kelly)  strictly on performance reasons. 

You may believe what you want but I don't think Frank was lying at all. Frank even thought Hoyer was a better option than Kelly. 

As far as the saving face thing I don't believe that either. 

Oh well, it will all be worked out come combine, training camp and pre season. 

I do believe we will be a better team next year with another draft under our belt and our team getting more experienced. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're the Coach or GM who tries to win a popularity contest. You're not cut out to make decisions base on the team's success.  You're going to step on players toes eventually, hurt their feelings b/c all of them possess that competitive nature to excel, however if there is an option to do it another way to come up with that winning formula then, you must do it as a leader of a company or organization....That's what successful leaders do to some extent...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I like Reich, but it bothers me to hear him lie about our quarterback situation every week. It could cost him his job if he continues with this another season.

 

Reich (and every other coach in the league) is not going to bash his players publicly.   Our franchise QB, Luck, retired 2 weeks before the season.  We had no other options this year.  There is no sense (or good) in the head coach coming out and saying to the media "Our QB is trash, we don't have faith in him, etc." -- of course he's going to give the guy under center praise to the public and the media.

 

4 hours ago, Detectacon said:

I have seen enough and Brissett = Bum. Unfortunately, Reich is a nice guy and his "belief" in his guys is blinding him to when some of them suck. 

 

For some reason a saying about the definition of insanity comes to mind....:sip:

 

Who did we have that was a better option?  Hoyer was unimpressive when given the chance.  Pretty obvious the coaches don't think Chad Kelly was ready to come in and outperform Brissett.  

 

Reich's a very solid coach.  He got dealt a bad hand (with Luck retiring and with injuries to Funchess, TY, Ebron, etc. etc. etc. etc.).  There is absolutely nothing good that would have came out of him going to the media and bashing on our starting QB.

 

4 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

What’s most troublesome to me is the Colts will wrap up 2019 as a top 5 rushing team in the NFL, and rank in the top half in those stats that tend to indicate a winning team - third down conversions, turnover differential, points allowed...  its when you see that they’ll finish ranked 27th or 28th in passing yards that the truth hits you between the eyes.  This team as built isn’t too far away.   A road playoff win last year.  One major thing changed.  The most important thing.  And when you can run the ball as well as the Colts do, to not be any threat through the air is abysmal.  

 

Not saying Brissett is our long-term answer at QB.  However, his season should have an asterisk next to it (IMO).  Funchess was our 'big name' FA signing, he had a great TD catch in week 1 and missed the rest of the season to injury.  TY missed several games and played in several games where he was obviously hobbling.  Ebron seemed to digress this year and missed several games.  There were literally games this year where every active TE and WR on our roster were undrafted free agents.  We need to get deeper at WR and TE in the off-season, regardless of if we make a QB change.  Very few QBs in the NFL would thrive with the weapons Brissett was given for several weeks.

 

2 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I think we do not have smart decision makers for this team.  Look at Titans, they're going to the playoffs, the same team that we've been beating like a drum the last few years.  So, it goes to show you, smart Coaches and GMs especially owners make the difference....

 

Ballard, Reich, Irsay all could not have predicted Luck's retirement.  None of them could have predicted Funchess missing 15.5 games.  None of them could have predicted TY being hurt for a good chunk of the season.  None of them could have predicted Ebron being hurt for the last 1/4 of the season.  None of them could have predicted all the defensive injuries.

 

Fact of the matter is, our team was a joke just 2 years ago.  Ballard has done a very nice job on the start of the rebuild, despite several very difficult challenges.  We need more depth in many areas and more skill in other areas.  The fact that our franchise QB retired 2 weeks prior to the season, that our best remaining O player (TY) missed significant injury time, that our biggest FA signing (at least on O) missed 15.5 games to injury, our best young pass rusher (Turay) missed over half the season to injury, our pro-bowl TE missed 1/4 or more of the season to injury, etc. etc. is not all on the coaches and GM.  The fact that we were not mathematically eliminated until week 16 with all that went wrong should probably be a sign of encouragement which we should have for our coaches.  I think most teams would've thrown in the towel and declared the season a dumpster fire in week 3 of preseason, we barely missed the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You may believe what you want but I don't think Frank was lying at all. Frank even thought Hoyer was a better option than Kelly. 

As far as the saving face thing I don't believe that either. 

Oh well, it will all be worked out come combine, training camp and pre season. 

I do believe we will be a better team next year with another draft under our belt and our team getting more experienced. 

That is thing I do not understand, why does 90% of the forum believe Chad Kelly would be a better option over JB? That is like they are saying they know more than Reich and Ballard. Believe me, if Reich and Ballard thought Kelly was far better he wouldve been playing by week 8 after JB's injury. That is common sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

We will never know.  I generally don’t buy into conspiracy theories without proof though, that’s just me though.

Yeah true...but as you said earlier...

It did seem a bit odd the way Kelly was kept inactive for the last two games,

why trot Hoyer out there and not even have the ability to play Kelly, should the opportunity present itself? I think they were protecting JB. but thats just me.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is thing I do not understand, why does 90% of the forum believe Chad Kelly would be a better option over JB? That is like they are saying they know more than Reich and Ballard. Believe me, if Reich and Ballard though Kelly was far better he wouldve been playing by week 8 after JB's injury. That is common sense. 

Could he have been worse than JB was today?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

We have all heard it.  Nice guys finish last.  And that might be Reichs downfall.  He stayed with Adam too long and his loyalty and confidence in JB seems unwavering.  Irsay knows football and I'm sure he can see what everyone else is seeing.  Jb is not the answer and if nothing changes this offseason he will be looking at a lot of empty seats next year.  I can't imagine he will stand for that.  The franchise and the fans need a shot of adrenaline for the upcoming season and I think Ballard and Reich are going to be under pressure to deliver on that.  So saddle up.  I think this off season is going to be one heck of a ride. 

 

 

I normally don't want any owner to medle in the GM's affairs.  However, if Jimmy doesn't think JB is the man going forward, then by all means...medle away!

 

56 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

While watching the game Iwas impressed with Archuletas candor. He repeated over and over in different ways"Brissett isn't good enough",  "he can't make the downfield throws", "he struggles on third down". Archuleta also mentioned at the beginning of the broadcast he doesn't think Brissett is the guy going forward, and kept reiterating that throughout the game. 12-25 for 162 yards and 2 fumbles lost. An exclamation point to what should be the end of Brissetts' time with the Colts.F

 

Finally, a commentator that seems like he actually watches our games!  He was flat out not convinced by JB and I think he was holding back to be polite.  

 

So much better than what Booger was spuing last week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah true...but as you said earlier...

It did seem a bit odd the way Kelly was kept inactive for the last two games,

why trot Hoyer out there and not even have the ability to play Kelly, should the opportunity present itself? I think they were protecting JB. but thats just me.

Could he have been worse than JB was today?

Probably not but just as bad maybe. I actually was for playing Kelly after we lost to Tennessee, I posted that in here. I felt like the season was over then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah true...but as you said earlier...

It did seem a bit odd the way Kelly was kept inactive for the last two games,

why trot Hoyer out there and not even have the ability to play Kelly, should the opportunity present itself? I think they were protecting JB. but thats just me.

Could he have been worse than JB was today?

Other than the running game the whole team sucked.  The defense was just as bad as Brissett and I don't see too many talking about that. :scratch:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Other than the running game the whole team sucked.  The defense was just as bad as Brissett and I don't see too many talking about that. :scratch:

We have a whole thread asking more or less if the Colts should fire their DC and another talking about Hookers struggles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Other than the running game the whole team sucked.  The defense was just as bad as Brissett and I don't see too many talking about that. :scratch:

Don't you know by now the QB or Coach get all the blame. haha I have posted that for 5 years now. Brissett could throw 400 yards, 4 TD's, no INT's but if we lost it would be his fault how most think eventhough the D gave up 35 or we missed a 30 yard FG for the victory lmao 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bhougland said:

 

 

I normally don't want any owner to medle in the GM's affairs.  However, if Jimmy doesn't think JB is the man going forward, then by all means...medle away!

 

 

Finally, a commentator that seems like he actually watches our games!  He was flat out not convinced by JB and I think he was holding back to be polite.  

 

So much better than what Booger was spuing last week.

I don't find Adam Archuleta as a good broadcaster. The commentary for the most part is bad better off with play by play otherwise there is a bias. Look at Colinsworth yet people enjoy listening to him. I want to watch the game not be swayed by what they see or what they think they see. 

When the game started both of them seemed like they rather be covering a different game but had been subjected to broadcast this movie with a cast of B-list actors or looking for top talent on the Hallmark channel.

Brissett has to play better but as Frank stated in the presser everyone has to play better. I'm excited about the team still got a long way to go but its not like they got blown out every week this year.

Good ownership stays out of the way...He hired Chris to do the job CB just needs to stay at it. Got lots of talent on this team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is thing I do not understand, why does 90% of the forum believe Chad Kelly would be a better option over JB? That is like they are saying they know more than Reich and Ballard. Believe me, if Reich and Ballard thought Kelly was far better he wouldve been playing by week 8 after JB's injury. That is common sense. 

 

That's all fine, but why not sit Jacoby once we found out we couldn't make the playoffs? the last couple weeks would've been good for Kelly to start because those games mean nothing. I've seen the occasional comment that JB's poor play may have something to do with his injury, if that is the case (which is probably just a cover up cos JB is a sub par talent) then again - rest him for the last couple weeks. I honestly see no logical reason to start our 'best' out of a bad bunch of QB's for the last 2 weeks.

 

Anyway, this debate has been going in circles fro months now... We will never see CK play and hopefully we won't see JB playing much more either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScotColt said:

 

That's all fine, but why not sit Jacoby once we found out we couldn't make the playoffs? the last couple weeks would've been good for Kelly to start because those games mean nothing. I've seen the occasional comment that JB's poor play may have something to do with his injury, if that is the case (which is probably just a cover up cos JB is a sub par talent) then again - rest him for the last couple weeks. I honestly see no logical reason to start our 'best' out of a bad bunch of QB's for the last 2 weeks.

 

Anyway, this debate has been going in circles fro months now... We will never see CK play and hopefully we won't see JB playing much more either.

I wanted Kelly in after the Tennessee loss. I felt like the season was over after that. I want to see what he has. I am trying to figure out why our FO doesn't want to play him,

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Other than the running game the whole team sucked.  The defense was just as bad as Brissett and I don't see too many talking about that. :scratch:

 

Maybe because this topic is about Brissett? took me 1 min to find a thread about how the D is also bad 

 

 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Don't you know by now the QB or Coach get all the blame. haha I have posted that for 5 years now. Brissett could throw 400 yards, 4 TD's, no INT's but if we lost it would be his fault how most think eventhough the D gave up 35 or we missed a 30 yard FG for the victory lmao 

 

You are living a fantasy. AV got plenty of % thrown his way when he was bad, rightly so. As mentioned above - so does the Defense... JB hasnt thrown a TD or more than 200 yards in 3 straight games lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ScotColt said:

 

Maybe because this topic is about Brissett? took me 1 min to find a thread about how the D is also bad 

 

 

 

You are living a fantasy. AV got plenty of % thrown his way when he was bad, rightly so. As mentioned above - so does the Defense... JB hasnt thrown a TD or more than 200 yards in 3 straight games lol. 

If Adam makes 1 kick at Pitt we were 6-2. That 1 kick decided the game, not fantasy but reality. That was all on him as in 1 play and 1 play only.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you saying we can't get an upgrade unless it is Burrow or Tua, keep mind mine Brissett was thoroughly outplayed today by a rookie 6th round pick!  So it is not beyond the possible that we could get a player not in the top 10 to be better than Brissett.  He really isn't very good.  He just seems to be slow in his processing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Decent back up, but a guy that just plays scared. He holds onto the ball too long, misses open receivers and just can't move the team. This game has to be the final nail in that debate..

Those same things were said about Luck, he missed his receivers quite often and consistently threw behind them.  The biggest reason for all his INTs was because he had trouble leading his receivers. He also held on to the ball for quite some time: in 2016 he was tied for second slowest behind tyrod Taylor and in 2018, however this is not entirely indicative of a bad qb as Rodgers, Watson, Tannehill, Jackson, Wilson, and Mahommes all have similar time to throw.  It could just be a sign of how good the O line is or how bad the receivers are at getting open. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Adam makes 1 kick at Pitt we were 6-2. That 1 kick decided the game, not fantasy but reality. That was all on him as in 1 play and 1 play only.

Actually that was more on the snap and holder than Adam.

 

Dont get me wrong Adam was a major issue this year but that one kick wasn’t all on him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was never an experiment. Franchises who experiment....fail. The Colts were very astute in having Jacoby in place when Luck retired earlier than expected. He has had a tough beginning to his QB NFL career....but, he has been tough....stood tall....and has represented the shoe well....despite the losses. 

 

He has represented the shoe far better than a good deal of the fan base has. 

 

However, there is not a single suggestion here, that has not been considered ad nauseum by the front office. Please....try not to be stupidly arrogant in thinking you know more than the men who are hired to be a part of this billion dollar business. They are pretty freaking smart, and I have no doubt...that they leave NO stone un-turned in doing the best for the franchise that has hired them. Do they make mistakes? Sure they do....because injuries happen, life changes happen, drugs happen, addictions happen, loss of focus happens, and many other things...that can make a decision look smart...or really stupid. 

 

Anyone can look back and point and say "I told you so". But after the fact...it doesn't mean %. Decisions in real time, with real pressures, and real expectations, are way tougher to make. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

For those of you saying we can't get an upgrade unless it is Burrow or Tua, keep mind mine Brissett was thoroughly outplayed today by a rookie 6th round pick!  So it is not beyond the possible that we could get a player not in the top 10 to be better than Brissett.  He really isn't very good.  He just seems to be slow in his processing.  

How did Minshew outplay him?

 

Did he give him the juke? Did he play mind games? Did he beat him in a foot race?

 

Please explain to me how Minshew outplayed Brisset, cause I didn't see them on the field at the same time at any point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Bridgewater might be the most overrated QB in the NFL. The games he started he was a game manager at best. The nic name "Captian Checkdown" fits him.

I agree.   He would certainly be an improvement over JB, but not a player I'd like to sign long term.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's disgusting, and it shows how disgusting Brissett is as a QB. Make him ride the bus back home.

Or it shows the coaching decisions, it shows the inability of the receivers to make YAC or actually get open, it shows how bad injuries were.  

 

But what do I know, maybe we should blame everything everyone else does on one person. Makes sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone ever consider that maybe part of the reason Chad Kelly has been a ghost and not tried comes back to his maturity level? We all know he had trouble in that department. So it’s entirely possible this is all part of a lesson to Chad Kelly to mature him up a bit as well. 
 

we also don’t know if he’s matured any in his behaviors off field, and if he has, would you want to immediately put him under immense pressure of filling the shoes left by Luck when he quit? This season was a weird one but let’s see what happens in the offseason

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bridgewater being better than Brissett is really speculative at best. No one would have willing bought that before this season. Stepping in for the injured Brees showed us a side of Teddy we’ve never really seen before, but you gotta attribute at least some of that, if not a majority, to the fact that the Saints offense runs the ball well, they’ve got backs who can catch out of the backfield, and the best WR in the game today who just catches anything in his zip code. 
 

Teddy Bridgewater in Indy is not Teddy Bridgewater in New Orleans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

People have officially lost their minds here.

Not really.   Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "certainly", because it wouldn't be a huge improvement in my opinion.  I wouldn't be in favor of signing him.   I do want to find a better option than Brissett.  Dalton, Carr, Rivers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Myles said:

Not really.   Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "certainly", because it wouldn't be a huge improvement in my opinion.  I wouldn't be in favor of signing him.   I do want to find a better option than Brissett.  Dalton, Carr, Rivers.

None of those three would be better. Dalton has never been great, Carr is likely worse than Brisset in our offense, and you can't predict Rivers would have done any better with what he has to work with here this past season. He's also 38 years old and not Peyton Manning, it is unlikely he could come in and be successful in a whole new scheme and offense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is thing I do not understand, why does 90% of the forum believe Chad Kelly would be a better option over JB? That is like they are saying they know more than Reich and Ballard. Believe me, if Reich and Ballard thought Kelly was far better he wouldve been playing by week 8 after JB's injury. That is common sense. 

 

This is repeated over and over and while it might be true, I believe a decision was made by the coach and GM before the season started to allow JB  play the full season regardless of performance to try an earn full starters money and his next contract. The players were also behind this Im sure which made the decision easier to give JB the entire season. I am also willing to bet that Irsay/Ballard had personal goals that JB had to meet to get that contract thus allowing JB to play all the way to the end to meet those goals makes sense.  Personally I dont think he met those goals. JB needed to show improvement from 2017 and I didnt see it.  He purposely inflated his TD/Int ratio early in the season by throwing 1 yard TD passes that could have easily been run in.  Once teams had tape on him, he regressed all the way back to 2017.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blindside said:

 

This is repeated over and over and while it might be true, I believe a decision was made by the coach and GM before the season started to allow JB  play the full season regardless of performance to try an earn full starters money and his next contract. The players were also behind this Im sure which made the decision easier to give JB the entire season. I am also willing to bet that Irsay/Ballard had personal goals that JB had to meet to get that contract thus allowing JB to play all the way to the end to meet those goals makes sense.  Personally I dont think he met those goals. JB needed to show improvement from 2017 and I didnt see it.  It purposely inflated his TD/Int ratio in the season by throwing 1 yard TD passes that could have easily been run in.  Once teams had tape on him, he regressed all the way back to 2017.

That is reasonable.  

It was disappointing that he didn't show improvement in his biggest flawed areas.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Myles said:

All of those 3 would be better than Brissett.    Just shows how low Jacoby has set the bar.   

 

There is actually zero way to prove either of us correct. It is all speculative, we cannot predict how any of them could have faired in this offense, with the injuries and lack of playmakers we have had all season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Narcosys said:

 

There is actually zero way to prove either of us correct. It is all speculative, we cannot predict how any of them could have faired in this offense, with the injuries and lack of playmakers we have had all season. 

I agree with that.   I just think that our O-line would make most QB's look better than they are.   So this was Brissett looking better than he is.   Scary.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Yeah there were tickets put on sale to the general public for the Jets game and they are still available
    • Can't overlook any opponents in the NFL.
    • How would ANYONE know?   Seriously!?!    How could anyone know NOW?   Blackmon has played ONE GAME?   That’s not enough for anyone to know? Hooker was said to have looked good in camp.   If it’s worth anything he certainly said all the right things, like wanting to be a Colt his whole career and have his family live in Indianapolis.    I think the odds are good that Hooker and Mack Get one year offers to stay in Indy and re-establish their careers.  Ballard tried to do similar things with guys like Geathers.  So it’s not unreasonable to think he’d do it with these two respected players. 
    • My point isn't that Herbert or Love is perfect for the Colts my point is at some point QB needs to be addressed - its literally inevitable. Ballard had the prime opportunity to address it this year with reasonable draft capital and he didn't (getting to 5 from 13 is way cheaper then from 23 or 26). Not addressing QB this year is, in fact, addressing the QB position.  No matter how valuable DT is to this team it will never be on the level as QB. In my mind, Ballard chose DT over QB and time will tell if that was right or wrong.    One other thing, how many QBs work out in general? I think that's a copout response (not aimed at you, in general). If you assume a quality starting QB lasts for 10 years that means the league only has room to incorporate 3 QBs per year - 3. To support that point, of the 32 QBs starting right now only 2 draft years are there more than 3 players starting QB that were drafted in the same year - 2018 and 2019 which are on rookie deals. Its not just QBs are hard to find, its hard to find spots for QBs.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...