Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, anyone NOT think the Brisset experiment is over?

ColtJax

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

For the kind of offense the Titans run, Tannehill is the right guy. He is not going to be asked to shoulder the offense but when teams have to sell out to stop the run, he is better than JB to take advantage of 1-on-1s mainly because he goes through his reads better and does not zero in on 1 or 2 guys.

Tannehill vs Luck always came down to the wire with him as a Dolphin, but Luck was the X factor. Tannehill is no Luck but he is better than JB, IMO.

I would say as of now he is better than JB as well but if we are shooting for an upgrade over JB, I want someone that will be a lot better than JB. Someone like Carr would be IMO.

• Like 2

Carr is atop my wishlist (Luck returning is atop my wishlist, but I'm going to pretend like it's not). I think Franky could bring out the best in him. The thought of drafting someone developmental and having to go with JB another full season is :(.

It's funny because I'm in crisis and realizing, "Is this what it's like to not have a generational talent at quarterback!? I did not sign up for this!" haha Boy, have we been spoiled.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 07dleigh said:

Carr is atop my wishlist (Luck returning is atop my wishlist, but I'm going to pretend like it's not). I think Franky could bring out the best in him. The thought of drafting someone developmental and having to go with JB another full season is :(.

It's funny because I'm in crisis and realizing, "Is this what it's like to not have a generational talent at quarterback!? I did not sign up for this!" haha Boy, have we been spoiled.

Yeah we may not ever get another QB that was better than Luck. Carr is good but he isn't Luck. Peyton is arguably the GOAT, so getting someone better than him will be impossible.

44 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't know man.  It doesn't look like Brady can get the ball to the boundary anymore, and if that is not a threat, then D's can totally shut down the middle of the field.

But they never did throw many of those patterns when they had Gronk.  They've tended to have subpar outside threats and that's the player that receives those boundary patterns. (Maybe that was Brady's weakness?)

He can still chuck it down field.

Not having Gronk is what would allow the D to shut down the middle, IMO.

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

For the kind of offense the Titans run, Tannehill is the right guy. He is not going to be asked to shoulder the offense but when teams have to sell out to stop the run, he is better than JB to take advantage of 1-on-1s mainly because he goes through his reads better and does not zero in on 1 or 2 guys.

Tannehill vs Luck always came down to the wire with him as a Dolphin, but Luck was the X factor. Tannehill is no Luck but he is better than JB, IMO. Yes, I am keeping it real. 

With our oline, that is the kind of QB we need.  We want a HOFer, but don't need one, and it sounds like Ballard doesn't want to build a team around one.

Josh Allen may be better than Tannehill at some point, but still makes too many mistakes.

That's why Herbert and Eason would be great fits for us, and maybe Love.  Love seems more of a splash play guy, both positively and negatively, so I put him behind those other two on my listing.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

But they never did throw many of those patterns when they had Gronk.  They've tended to have subpar outside threats and that's the player that receives those boundary patterns. (Maybe that was Brady's weakness?)

He can still chuck it down field.

Not having Gronk is what would allow the D to shut down the middle, IMO.

Didn’t do it much but enough to keep the D honest.  If the threat isn’t there it makes the field about 20 yds wide and the little dump offs they’ve always thrown won’t be as effective.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:16 PM, csmopar said:

plus guys such as 

Foles

Carr 

Bridgewater 

all being possible trade targets. 

QBs are gonna be highly overhyped this draft. Had the same feeling in the 2013 class

I am starting to think that our 1-2 year patch is Foles or Bridgewater

I HIGHLY doubt that  Jags would trade to us

But maybe Bridgewater????

Carr is a 5-7 year "PATCH"

Bridgewater and Foles would appear to be a step up 

Carr us 2-3 steps above

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am starting to think that our 1-2 year patch is Foles or Bridgewater

I HIGHLY doubt that  Jags would trade to us

But maybe Bridgewater????

Carr is a 5-7 year "PATCH"

Bridgewater and Foles would appear to be a step up from JB

Carr us 2-3 steps above

I don’t want to bail the Jags out with Foles, Teddy is pretty much Brissett, so I’d prefer Carr out of your list. Only problem with Carr, he won’t be cheap in a trade. 

Yup, let the jags eat the Foles contract as that will weaken their cap abilities. No thank you on Foles or Teddy. I'd take Carr in a heart beat. He's a top 10 guy (QBR this year) and would fit into to Reich's system quickly. And he'd perform even better here as he'd have a better OL and running game.

Carr won't be cheap, but we do have plenty of cap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Didn’t do it much but enough to keep the D honest.  If the threat isn’t there it makes the field about 20 yds wide and the little dump offs they’ve always thrown won’t be as effective.

Every kind of play helps.

I always thought the key to NEs offense was how defenses prepared for Gronk.  If they double covered him, they would keep him in to run the ball or highlight Edelman on pass plays.  If they single covered him, NE threw to him because he could beat single coverage.

Losing him was going to be a big deal when it happened.  

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Every kind of play helps.

I always thought the key to NEs offense was how defenses prepared for Gronk.  If they double covered him, they would keep him in to run the ball or highlight Edelman on pass plays.  If they single covered him, NE threw to him because he could beat single coverage.

Losing him was going to be a big deal when it happened.  

O I agree.  IMo he was the best player in the game for a few years.  He was a matchup  nightmare and was equally effective as a blocker, like a 6th lineman.  Terrific player.  

Still ole Tommy could get it outside when he needed too.

if you watch this highlight video from last year you will see several good throws to the boundary.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A2KLfR.g5RNezyEAHVBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=tom+Bradys+throws+to+the+outside&fr2=piv-web&fr=ipad#id=6&vid=2578c4a2c9e89ef738fdaa6dc8643a66&action=view

2 hours ago, presto123 said:

If the Colts bring in Tom Brady, I am disowning the team. What is wrong with you people? Some things are more important than wins. That * is the enemy and always will be. On AND off the field. That's all I can say without getting in trouble:)

You've already said enough to suggest that you might be insane.

I’m gonna do it. Lol. I’m gonna stand out on the ledge by myself and state that...

I believe that the experiment is far from over. I believe that through Ballards comments, he will not reach for QB early. He will fill needs with BPA and build an overall strong team. 

they will draft a QB but it will be in the 3-4 round range. It will be someone that they like at that place in the draft. He will come in and compete. It will end up being JB, Rookie and CK in the QB room. 

I truly believe that if you listen to the comments, they still really like JB and believe in him. They will tool the offense around him this offseason, get him more weapons and get his current weapons healthy and give him one more year (last year of his contract). If he bust they will move on with no dead cap space because his contract is up. If he plays well he will get a good contract. Not top level but good. 

I know everyone points to the comment “the jury is still out”. I took that is that they have a year to see more to decide if he gets a new contract, not they didn’t see enough and are moving on. 

Sorry folks, JB QB1 2020

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

they will draft a QB but it will be in the 3-4 round range. It will be someone that they like at that place in the draft. He will come in and compete. It will end up being JB, Rookie and CK in the QB room.

losing season next year, still no qb for the future

awesome plan 

11 hours ago, Nickster said:

O I agree.  IMo he was the best player in the game for a few years.  He was a matchup  nightmare and was equally effective as a blocker, like a 6th lineman.  Terrific player.  

Still ole Tommy could get it outside when he needed too.

if you watch this highlight video from last year you will see several good throws to the boundary.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A2KLfR.g5RNezyEAHVBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=tom+Bradys+throws+to+the+outside&fr2=piv-web&fr=ipad#id=6&vid=2578c4a2c9e89ef738fdaa6dc8643a66&action=view

I understand and I think that is a good point.  I'm merely saying that NE won the SB last year with Gronk, and I would think with Brady having substantially the same arm strength as this year, what ever that may have been.  I would find it highly coincidental that his arm strength diminished considerably at the same time the best TE in the NFL retired, but age can have a strange impact.

If it is indeed weak, it certainly won't be getting any stronger next year, IMO.

24 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I’ll just never understand this. We live in a society that wants and more feels it deserves everything right now. Whatever happened to letting someone develop. See if they can get better. 

next year will be his 5th year i dont think hes getting that much better.  amazing how you guys keep acting like he hasnt had enough time

look at the QBs still playing, 4 of the 6 have been mvp candidates.  i dont see JB getting to that level

i think its easier to find a better qb than to build a team that can make a super bowl with him 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

next year will be his 5th year i dont think hes getting that much better.  amazing how you guys keep acting like he hasnt had enough time

look at the QBs still playing, 4 of the 6 have been mvp candidates.  i dont see JB getting to that level

i think its easier to find a better qb than to build a team that can make a super bowl with him 

It’s amazing to me that people think being a backup to Andrew Luck for 1 year and Tom Brady’s third string means he should be fully developed. You don’t develop without playing. 

I don’t see the harm in letting him develop. He has shown his ceiling 5-2 record, 15-3 TD/INT. 

It seems crazy to root against your own QB. I personally thinks everyone hates on him because he isn’t Manning or Luck. But guess what, we proved we can win with him, and Manning is one of the greatest of all time and luck could’ve been. Jordan love ain’t that, Jacob Eason at that, hell Joe Burrow ain’t that. 

13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

The coddling is mind boggling.

• Like 1

Just now, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

It’s amazing to me that people think being a backup to Andrew Luck for 1 year and Tom Brady’s third string means he should be fully developed. You don’t develop without playing. 

I don’t see the harm in letting him develop. He has shown his ceiling 5-2 record, 15-3 TD/INT. 

It seems crazy to root against your own QB. I personally thinks everyone hates on him because he isn’t Manning or Luck. But guess what, we proved we can win with him, and Manning is one of the greatest of all time and luck could’ve been. Jordan love ain’t that, Jacob Eason at that, hell Joe Burrow ain’t that. 

hes had plenty of time. im in a hurry to replace him because we are wasting good years with him. jacoby was awful down the stretch and did nothing special when he went 5-2.  we can think mack and the line for that

i like tua in the draft for the record. best QB we have a shot at

42 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I’ll just never understand this. We live in a society that wants and more feels it deserves everything right now. Whatever happened to letting someone develop. See if they can get better. 

He's benefiting from elite O-Line play to not see the play develop, hold the ball and then launch it over people's head after 4 or 5 seconds in the pocket. Year 5 of him being a pro is coming up. Most guys establish this ability or at least flash the potential well before year 5 (making difficult pro passes, generally). 

If everything is right around him, yes, he can participate in winning, but imagine what a guy who's proficient at passing could do with those same built in advantages that elite O line play gives the QB. This is why I'm in on a FA replacement for JB and I'm still somewhat confused why more people don't want to go ahead and get a QB for next year and draft a guy a high- if he meets the criteria Ballard sets. Not in round 3.

5 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

not about that at all, i think Jacoby is a bad QB in his own right 

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jacoby-brissett/10725

i feel the same way they do ^ which is below average 

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Kinda like everyone coddles Jordan Love and his horrible stats from last year. Excuses after excuses. 

love isnt pro ready yet. he is a high ceiling low floor prospect 

thats why i like tua better.  would  be happy to see love come here though 

19 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He’s not in the NFL yet. Bad example!

I get he is in college. But everyone loves him and makes all kinds of excuses for his poor play this year. 

He lost his head coach

he lost his receivers

he had to carry a bad team. Play hero ball

all of these are excuses for a poor year. 

we all make excuses for who we like. 

Just now, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I get he is in college. But everyone loves him and makes all kinds of excuses for his poor play this year. 

He lost his head coach

he lost his receivers

he had to carry a bad team. Play hero ball

all of these are excuses for a poor year. 

we all make excuses for who we like. 

All valid at this point! Brissett has a resume from college to 4 years in the NFL that is consistent. 

With that being said, I do believe he probably starts in 2020, but there will be a replacement on the roster. Ballard has a job to do, and keep. 

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I’m gonna do it. Lol. I’m gonna stand out on the ledge by myself and state that...

I believe that the experiment is far from over. I believe that through Ballards comments, he will not reach for QB early. He will fill needs with BPA and build an overall strong team. 

I truly believe that if you listen to the comments, they still really like JB and believe in him. They will tool the offense around him this offseason, get him more weapons and get his current weapons healthy and give him one more year (last year of his contract). If he bust they will move on with no dead cap space because his contract is up. If he plays well he will get a good contract. Not top level but good. 

I know everyone points to the comment “the jury is still out”. I took that is that they have a year to see more to decide if he gets a new contract, not they didn’t see enough and are moving on. 

Sorry folks, JB QB1 2020

Keep in mind what we don't know.  We don't know and the Colts might not know yet how they will be grading these QBs.  Their analysis might not be complete.  We do know that Ballard was supposed to be at Loves bowl game.  So he wanted to see him in person.  So when it comes to 1st round grades the Colts might very well have three or four QBs with first round grades.  If they view the position as a high priority taking a QB at 13 or even trading back into the 1st to get one might not be considered a reach according to their scouting and rankings.  The fact he was supposed to be in attendance tells me QB is a high priority.  JMO. 

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

All valid at this point! Brissett has a resume from college to 4 years in the NFL that is consistent. 

With that being said, I do believe he probably starts in 2020, but there will be a replacement on the roster. Ballard has a job to do, and keep. 

I actually 100% agree with you. But I don’t view it as a replacement, more future competition. Ballard will bring someone in the compete with JB, not necessarily replace him. Someone that could replace him if JB falls flat. But could also push him to another level. 

Can we both agree that Ballard and Reich do really like JB and would love for him to succeed, but won’t hesitate to do their jobs and move on if he forces their hand. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Keep in mind what we don't know.  We don't know and the Colts might not know yet how they will be grading these QBs.  Their analysis might not be complete.  We do know that Ballard was supposed to be at Loves bowl game.  So he wanted to see him in person.  So when it comes to 1st round grades the Colts might very well have three or four QBs with first round grades.  If they view the position as a high priority taking a QB at 13 or even trading back into the 1st to get one might not be considered a reach according to their scouting and rankings.  The fact he was supposed to be in attendance tells me QB is a high priority.  JMO. 

Was it reported that he was at his bowl game. I know he was supposed to be at a game earlier this year but I have been asking if any scouts were at his bowl game. 

Source?

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Was it reported that he was at his bowl game. I know he was supposed to be at a game earlier this year but I have been asking if any scouts were at his bowl game. 

Source?

It was reported he was given credentials to be there but I have seen nothing stating he was there.  

1 minute ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

At the bowl game?

i know it was reported that he was credential for the Utah state vs Boise state game. But Stephen holder reported he didn’t actually attend. 

That's what I remember reading but my memory is far from perfect.  If he was supposed to attend the Utah vs Boise game then that says the same point I was making.  A personal look see from Ballard says a lot about how they view the need at the position and who they might be looking at among others.  

On 1/7/2020 at 8:00 AM, DougDew said:

I understand and I think that is a good point.  I'm merely saying that NE won the SB last year with Gronk, and I would think with Brady having substantially the same arm strength as this year, what ever that may have been.  I would find it highly coincidental that his arm strength diminished considerably at the same time the best TE in the NFL retired, but age can have a strange impact.

If it is indeed weak, it certainly won't be getting any stronger next year, IMO.

How old are you man?  If you are in or have been through your 40s you know from personal experience that things can diminish rapidly and seemingly over night is some instances.

No doubt that Gronk if he could and did play would help, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether or not Brady can drive the ball to the sideline anymore.

It appears to me that he can't.  Dude is freaking old for a football player.

Just now, Nickster said:

How old are you man?  If you are in or have been through your 40s you know from personal experience that things can diminish rapidly and seemingly over night is some instances.

No doubt that Gronk if he could and did play would help, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether or not Brady can drive the ball to the sideline anymore.

It appears to me that he can't.  Dude is freaking old for a football player.

Ok.  I guess last year he could always drive the ball to the boundary and this year he never can.  I'm fine with that.  I don't think he belongs on our team anyway.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ok.  I guess last year he could always drive the ball to the boundary and this year he never can.  I'm fine with that.  I don't think he belongs on our team anyway.

That's non sequitur.  I didn't say anything about always or never.  I think I said he appears not to be able to get the ball there anymore.  He'd still be way better than the guy who QBd the team this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That's non sequitur.  I didn't see anything about always or never.  I think I said he appears not to be able to get the ball there anymore.  He'd still be way better than the guy who QBd the team this year.

Sorry.  I guess I was thinking the word ANYMORE being synonymous with NEVER.  Taking the extreme to one side as a base, then juxtapose it with the other extreme, that would be ALWAYS.  My bad.