Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College Football Playoff and bowl games, a thread for discussions and impressions

I was looking for a thread to post a couple of things about the games going on right now but couldn't find a good one, so here we go... We have the College playoffs today, as well as the Cotton bowl(Penn state vs Memphis) and Notre dame vs Iowa state...

What I wanted to say is - Yetur Gross Matos looks like the epitome of what Ballard is looking for in an edge defender - length for days and explosive athleticism. 

The other player I wanted to mention was KJ Hamler. He's fast as hell, has some YAC ability and elusiveness but also plays outside a lot more than Parris Campbell did in college. No idea if he's going to declare this year, but he seems like a fun one. I wouldn't mind using a day 2 pick on him. 

• Like 1

I like Gross as well, but let me ask you this?

Is it less likely Ballard drafts a “Edge” player when he’s invested two 2nd Rd picks in Turay and Banogu? Plus, Houston played well and will be back. 

That’s my feeling at the moment. And I also wonder if, we don’t see a WR drafted reasonably early as well, due to injured players returning next season healthy.

T.Y. Hilton

P. Campbell 

Fountain 

Plus, the development of Pascal. 

Thoughts?

23 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I like Gross as well, but let me ask you this?

Is it less likely Ballard drafts a “Edge” player when he’s invested two 2nd Rd picks in Turay and Banogu? Plus, Houston played well and will be back. 

That’s my feeling at the moment. And I also wonder if, we don’t see a WR drafted reasonably early as well, due to injured players returning next season healthy.

T.Y. Hilton

P. Campbell 

Fountain 

Plus, the development of Pascal. 

Thoughts?

Banogu has not shown enough to make you not draft a player you like a lot in the draft. Turay was beginning to show a lot of good things but got injured with a serious injury, you don't know when he will return and at what state he will be post-injury(worth pointing out - he was injury prone in college too...). We have Houston for one more year... after which he might be gone too. In essence we have ZERO certainty at the position post next season.

IMO if an EDGE defender you like is BPA at the spot you are drafting at, you should NOT be passing on him. EDGE is the position you can actually afford to stack up great players at. This is especially true when Ballard has mentioned that he wants to have a rotation of players at the line and none of them is expected to play close to 100% of the snaps.  

About the WRs, Hilton is getting up there in age. He's still high end receiver but it's worth having it at the back of our minds that he will be 31 next season. Campbell has not shown anything to make you not draft a WR, Fountain had a brutal injury and has had grand total of 3 snaps in the NFL and 0 receptions. You cannot count on him and you cannot make decisions about your roster based on him. If he pans out, great, one more weapon you can rely on, but you cannot go into the draft thinking "I wanted to draft this great receiver in this amazing class, but damn, what if Fountain is good next year". 

I like Pascal more than most it seems. I kind of feel like he can actually be a starting receiver for us even if we didn't have that many injuries. He's done well with the chances he's been given IMO. I'd like us to keep him. 

But yeah. We need more and better weapons even if we assume Hilton is back healthy and in form for next season and even if Pascal continues to develop well. We need game breakers and we need a legit high end X-receiver. I think we need better pass-catching options at both WR and TE. I have to check the list of available TEs in FA, because from what I'm hearing(haven't really 'scouted' many) this TE draft class is not great.  

• Like 3

Wacthed a part of LSU vs OU. We know how it went. The things is...Burrow had like 8 Tds, 7 passing (lost the end of the game, might be more), but most of them were to open recievers, and he had a ton of time. I fell like I wasn't as impressed as I should be with his performance. My question is, for those of you who like to scout and follow prospects, how good is Burrow really? I know he's about to be the first pick, but he  ain't a Luck or Elway tipe prospect right?

I just finished watching the Clemson vs Ohio State game. What an exceptional game. There were some lucky breaks for Clemson but both teams have SO MUCH DAMN TALENT. WOW! I loved it. Shame one of them had to lose.

In the other thread I said I would sell the farm for Burrow. And 1 year before he's even eligible I would do the same with Lawrence. 

2 hours ago, Shive said:

I've mocked Justin Jefferson with pick 80, which was a bit low for him anyhow, but that's in no way possible after yesterday. He just launched himself into mid-2nd to low 1st round territory with his showing last night.

Pick No.35, will be lucky if he lasts till then

I would love to see Isaiah Simmons drafted by the Colts. I don't think he will last to their pick and linebacker is probably the last position on defense the Colts have a need for. However I think a trio of him, Leonard, and Okereke would be outstanding. (assuming Okereke keeps getting better) That could be a special group.

8 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I would love to see Isaiah Simmons drafted by the Colts. I don't think he will last to their pick and linebacker is probably the last position on defense the Colts have a need for. However I think a trio of him, Leonard, and Okereke would be outstanding. (assuming Okereke keeps getting better) That could be a special group.

Why you dissing Walker. He has been so good this year.